CLOSED: HaBar-Kayma

Contact 03-9493322

Hamashbir 22, Tel Aviv, Israel,

Cooperative vegan restaurant/bar and community center in the Florentine area. Also has an art gallery. Hosts music shows, movies, lectures, and workshops. CONFIRMED CLOSED, MAY 2016. Mon-Sun 6:00pm-12:00am

Category: Vegan, Western, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Middle Eastern, Israeli

First Review by sarakapara

Give it a miss - Edit

After my first visit I gave this place a pretty positive review, so of course I've been back a couple of times in the interim. Unfortunately the very good experience of the first visit turned out to be a fluke. The service is at best inconsistent and at worst just bad. The second time I came in I was mocked and laughed at (to my face!) by the staff for my admittedly not spectacular Hebrew. Because the food was good enough I figured I'd give them another shot so I returned only to find they were in the middle of a renovation, and when I asked when they'd be back in business I got some snarky response about checking their Facebook page before coming over. Some snotty people work here.

On my final attempt to visit this place I waited for 90 minutes to order food after the wait staff said the kitchen would be open in "10 or 15 minutes" (this was during normal operating hours, mind you). Eventually I just took off. Won't be back. In my opinion they changed the menu for the worse anyway.

On the first visit the bartenders and staff were good and it was a fun experience. The place wasn't busy and I just kicked it at the bar chatting with the other customers and the bartender, had a few beers, and a really tasty veggie burger, which they no longer offer.

Updated from previous review on Tuesday January 12, 2016

Pros: Bartenders (first visit), Ambiance (first visit)

Cons: Spotty service at best, Wait staff have attitude issues, Menu

Great place to be - Edit

They have a really great choice of food. The food tastes really delicious. I had been there several times with friends, and alone. My friends (not vegans) loved it too. You get really a lot. Loved the baked califlower and their homemade fries. You need to try them!

Pros: friendly staff, great food

Cons: sometimes very loud

They used to be better - Edit

This place used to be much better. I dont know what happend but the food and the service became very disapotiong. Also, too bad that the dont have soft drinks. the vibe is cosy, but some waitress are really arrogant.

Pros: Cheap, Nice vibe

Cons: Service, Some dishes were very disapotiong.

Nice place - Edit

I visited this café with a friend and we were both happy about food and service. She said it changed a lot during her last visite (to the positive in her opinion). I tried a sandwich which was very tasty. I expected something different after reading the reviews on HappyCow (in the end it looked like a normal restaurant with a few groceries and animal rights bags and shirts), but that`s okay.

A great place to eat - also offers Air b&b rooms - Edit

I liked their eggplant dish - oven grilled with rice and black lentils. Very filling and the price was also fab. They have a good variety of food and sell fresh produce as well. They grow much of the fresh produce on their roof. So it is also organic.

Great atmosphire, they host artists in their galery. The rooms they offer are cheep and if you stay - you get 10% off on all you order at the restuarant.

Pros: very friendly staff, nice vibe, exellent food

Very nice alternative cooperative restaurant/cafe - Edit

This is a really nice place! They have good, quite inexpensive food and have a nice alternative (a bit anarchist) vibe to it.

It's a cooperative where workers come to hang out even if they are not working.

If you want to get to know alternative people in Israel, this is a good place to start.

Pros: Good vegan food, Alternative place, Cooperative cafe

Highly Recommend! - Edit

Casual and fun atmosphere and a great all-vegan experience. I had an expertly made salad full of good things like apples, nuts and seeds. The baked cauliflower in tahini is sublime. My companion had the burger and potatoes in sweet chili sauce with ketchup and mayo made on the premises - all first rate. The chocolate truffles and "Snickers" are fantastic. And, the prices are very reasonable!

Pros: All vegan, Great food, Friendly staff

Loved this place! - Edit

I adored this place. As a vegetarian tourist, I found Tel Aviv to be heaven. But this place not only had excellent food, but also an excellent DJ and vibe. What a cute hipster restaurant! I ordered a seitan burger and it was excellent. The only downside was that I ordered apple cider expecting it to be cider, but it was just apple juice. Otherwise, a fantastic find!

Pros: Atmosphere, Friendly staff, food

Cons: a bit expensive, non-alcoholic drinks

best vegan in Tel-Aviv ! - Edit

I tried all vegan restaurant in Tel Aviv this one if the best !
You must try something that taste like burekas chess ... It's tortilla with almond cheese .

Pros: cool place, very nice people , great sitan dish

Cons: the area is not so cool !

Just go there (: - Edit

A great place with special atmosphere. fair prices and a yummy vegan dishes! they have own the all building!! you should ask one of workers to tell you about it! lots of cool stuff is going on there (:

Pros: exellent food, special atmoshpere, good value

The greatest veg place in TLV - Edit

This is the greatest place for veg people and people that look for a simple and delicious with low cost.
in addition there always something that going on there: music show, festival or nice lecture.
Good vibes!!

Great place - Edit

We where there yesterday, at the monthly give and take market. The place really changed for the better The food is simple yet great, and relatively cheap. The specials were delicious. The Atmosphere and staff were welcoming and we had a lovely afternoon there.
I know that they also have AirBNB rooms there.

Pros: delicious food, great prices, the peanut butter milkshake was awesome

Cons: The street isn't easy to find, The toilet doesn't look that great

Cheap and yummy vegan food - Edit

If you're vegetarian or a vegan, make this a stop in your trip to Israel.
There's something happening here every day. Concerts, lectures, movies make this revolutionary vegan spot so much more than a vegan restaurant.
The staff are a very helpful and happy bunch. After asking about each dish on the menu, you should definitely ask about how this place came to be and what it represents.
The prices are also very cheap for a vegan bar and restaurant.
A must see and eat vegan place.

Don't forget to try one of the juices they make there and a vegan desert...

Pros: Super awesome yummy vegan food, The revolution starts here, It's a huge coop! (All staff are owners)

Cons: Difficult to find (Worth the search)

good, not great - Edit

We liked this place, people and food, but the music it too loud and our baby was really frightened. Another problem is bad coffee, then the absence of any desserts, then too spicy dishes (we tried Sloppy Joe).
Now good words: the staff is friendly, visitors also, prices are nice and we liked their eggplants - it's great and the portion size is good and the price is about 25. I don't recommend you Sloppy Joe because it is too spicy and consists mostly of spices and bread with a tiny addition of seitan and salad.
that's all ok, but we'd better go to Buddha Burgers for nearly the same prices and more calm athmosphere, - or to Vegetarian Shawarma for better prices and more options (also for normal coffee and desserts).
This place is unique not because of food they offer but due to the athmosphere they have there. And this is not for people with babies, sorry.

Pros: nice food

Cons: awful coffee, too spicy, loud music

Feels like home away from home - Edit

My advice is that you ask the waiters to tell you the story of the place! It was founded by protesters of the israeli occupy movement for social justice, and so that's why it's a cooperative, cool atmosphere, low prices and 100% vegan!
The food is good and they have salads, main dishes, pastas and really good vegan desserts.
My Tel-Aviv favorite!

Pros: Friendly, Tasty, Good value

the kids are alright - Edit

habar-kayma has got a young, but welcoming feeling. the burger i tried was large, lentil based, and good. my friend and i split an appetizer of sauteed cauliflower in a tahini sauce, that was great.

the service can be a bit flaky, but all the staff we interacted with were very friendly. they didn't have an english menu when we went, but my friend is from israel, so she translated for me. i think had i gone alone, the staff would have taken the time to help. they all spoke both hebrew and english.

Pros: all vegan, the food, friendly staff

Good food and good vibes - Edit

A popular co-op restaurant and bar with a 100% vegan menu. We had the burrito wraps which were delicious and excellent truffles for desert.
Very friendly atmosphere, open till late.

Pros: vegan, co-op, friendly

Return to Tel Aviv Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: HaBar-Kayma closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4606 times since Jul 2012.