GYVAS baras

• Friend
Contact +37-065692939

11 Traku street (at old town), Vilnius, Lithuania, 01132

Opened in spring 2015, and few months after cooking vegetarian food, GYVAS baras became all vegan on July 13 and is the first vegan restaurant in Lithuania. Prepares vegan food with large variety, including weekly new flavors of burgers made with ingredients like tofu or sweet potato or bean. Offers daily changing business lunch Mon-Fri. Features a selection of beer and cider including authentic Lithuanian beer ALUS. Open Mon-Wed 11:30am-10:00pm, Thu 11:30am-11:00pm, Fri 11:30am-12:00am, Sat-Sun 12:00am-12:00am, Sat 12:00pm-12:00am, Sun 1:00pm-8:00pm.

Category: Vegan, International, Western, Beer/Wine

First Review by lauravi

Nice vegan place - Edit

Nothing special. Food is tasty, especially sweet potato burger. I tried the meal of the day quite a few times and I got a bit disappointed. But it's not enough just to be a vegan place. I could recommend this place only for burgers. I would go there again but as I said nothing special.

Pros: Good value, Big portions

Cons: Kinda sleepy atmosphere , That's not low salt of low fat place (just saying)

Wonderful - Edit

Delicious and ethicaly responsible food, friendly stuff, good music and very good place in the centre of Vilnius! One of the best and my favourite places in this city!

Pros: Deliciuos food, Friendly stuff, Good music

Cons: No

flavour bomb - Edit

Lovely place, funny posters and interior. Staff is friendly, and menu has lots of choice. I tried the burger and let them surprise me, so got the marinated soya nuggets served with potato chips. Amazing!!!

super tasty burgers - Edit

Me and my boyfriend (who is not vegetarian) tried the seitan burger and the soy nugget burger, and we really enjoyed it👍 the food was very tasty and the atmosphere was also very good 😃 we will definitely recommend this place to some of our not vegetarian friends 😃👍

Underwhelming - Edit

Maybe the cook had a bad day, but the food was not really convincing.

Updated from previous review on 2016-08-28

Pros: Nice looking restaurant at a central location., The soup was delicious.

Cons: The fries and potato chips were soggy and oily., The chilly was not spicy, contrary to description.

Great - Edit

We tried 3 main courses and cake with the ice-cream. Everything was delicious. I am not a massive sweets fan, but the cake my boyfriend ordered was so good that I ate half of his portion. The Vanilla ice-cream was the most milky milkless ice-cream I have ever tried. The cheese tasted like normal cheese as well, so I recommend to take there your not vegan friends. They will love the food there.

Pros: cheap, tasty, fully vegan, very nice waitress

Cons: a little bit heavy and not super healthy

good food Nice place - Edit

A really cosy place with a mix of local And national guests. A bit alternative, With fresh affortable food And nice but crowdy outdoor seating. A lot of vegan options.

Pros: Nice people, cosy outdoor seating

Cons: a long wait before being served

Best vegan food I've ever eaten! - Edit

It's placed in small street near to main one. Quiet place with really great peaceful and chilling music. Sweet potatoes soup was heaven! My burger was perfect like not dry (it happens that vegan / vegetarian burgers are so dry). Falafeles of course we're greate with their hummus. You don't have to be afraid that you might be a little bit hungry after your diner here because dishes are really big. And their Lithuanian beer is also great like a little bit sour and light.

Pros: Near to main street, Place where you can chill out, Friendly staff

Cons: Small bar- not many people can be here at once

The worst vegan restaurant in Vilnius. - Edit

I was looking forward to visit this restaurant, but I was very, very disappointed. The room was gloomy and bare. The food was tasteless - I ordered a dish with Tandoori masala, but it was as the number of the tongue out of the window. I was not pleased.

Pros: Friendly staff

Cons: Tasteless food

good, but very expensive - Edit

place is nice, our waitress (blonde lovely girl) was very profesional and friendly. we ordered soups: sweet potato a bit spicy was fantastic we liked it a lot, but soup pf the day - tomato soup was like diluted pizza souce. main dishes - soya nuggets burger with fries - very nice, big and tasty, second dish was a bit dissapointing - fallafel salad - good but no fireworks.

summarizing - that was good expirience, but we paid for 2 beers, 2 soups and 2 main dishes almost € 23. in my opinion for that price food should be much better.

Pros: sweet potato soup, soya nuggets burger

Cons: expensive

Very disappointing diner experience - Edit

After an excellent vegan restaurant experience in Tallinn, I was looking forward to eat here on my last day of a 1 month trip. Especially after all these very positive reviews here.
It couldn't be more disappointing. I love falafel, which I ordered.
It didn't look like falafel...
It didn't taste like falafel,
man It really wasn't falafel but some balls with beans and....?
no pita no decent salad, the humus wasn't humus but also something else
Atmosphere was also not ver social a bot sleepy maybe, I just wanted to leave as soon as possible....
No happy, positivity is great, but this place is not that good

Excellent and affordable. - Edit

I stayed in Vilnius for 2 days and was looking for a vegan restaurant. I found Gyvas and read the reviews, all of them said it was amazing and it indeed was. I ate there the 2 days I stayed in Vilnius, it's fully vegan and inexpensive. Lithuanian food is not vegan friendly thus Gyvas was an amazing option. I ate the burger and the tofu tikka masala and the chocolate cake; they were amazing and they filled me up considering I always eat big portions. Service was excellent and the food was ready quite quickly. Overall, an amazing restaurant.

Pros: Location, Price, Excellent food

Sipsari is pleased! - Edit

Made the trip to Lithuania solely because of this restaurant. I tried the burger (it came with potato chips, the crispy kind!!!), sweet potato soup, tortilla and chocolate cake with ice cream and loved every bite. Quite cheap and lovely!

Pros: good service, calm and pleasant atmosphere, great food

If only every McDonald's in the world was GYVAS baras! - Edit

Seriously, I have a full body orgasm right now. I feel like I died and went to heaven. If heaven would be like sooo much better than the pope believes it is. I can't describe it. I want to move here. I want to spend christmas here eating three meals in a row. I want to tattoo GYVAS in my arm. It is so good it deserves capslock. If I wasn't already a vegan I would be just because it's better than anything I've ever put in my mouth. I had a marinated soy burger and I'm counting hours when I'm hungry again so I can eat everything they have. VICTORY OF BODY AND SOUL!

GYVAS baras 02 Jul 2016 - Thank you so much for an impressive review and for our wide smiles :D
We can send you good quality logo file for the tattoo :)
Clients like you make us happy every day!

Very good burgers, great veganese! - Edit

I went there with 3 non vegetarian, non-vegan friends. It was their first time in such a restaurant and they loved it. I myself was very pleased with the burger, although it could have had more greens in it. I usually hate mayonaise/veganaise but the one they served was great.
The staff is very nice and speak perfect English.

Pros: cosy, good food

Loved it!! - Edit

Went here two times in one day. The food was so delicious. Had a tofu tikka masala (licked the plates) and then a burger. It was one of the best meals I've had in a long time. The place was chill and the staff very nice. Highly recommend this place!

Pros: amazing food, Great vibes, Nice staff

Tasty vegan in the city centre - Edit

Gyvas baras is one of rare purely vegan restaurants/bars in Lithuania. They have quite good and various menu: from junk food to salads and desserts. But mainly I'd say they are professionals of junk food. I wasn't a fan of their food when they just started but I was visiting Vilnius not long ago and thought I'll give Gyvas baras another try and I have to admit food became much tastier and better so I visited Gyvas few times meanwhile my visit. I enjoyed dish of the week - Kijev Cutlet, one of vegan burgers and Tortilla. I recommend!

Pros: Tasty, Good location

Cons: Not perfect ventilation

Great vegan food! - Edit

This is my favorite bar to go to. Whenever I'm not sure what I want, I simply go here! The food is good, the service is good and I simply like the place, the music and the atmosphere here.

If you're fine with some junk food, as other suggested, treat yourself with a tofu burger, but if you're looking for something healthier get yourself some chilly or felafels, they are equally good.

They also serve different lunch on weekdays and they always were amazingly good!

Pros: Tasty vegan food!

Cosy Vegan Restaurant - Edit

Gyvas Baras is a very nice and cosy vegan restaurant where you will immediately feel welcome. Friendly people and nicely decorated at the old town of Vilnius. I tried the burger with sweet potato which as very good. Maybe I would suggest to replace the type of bread to another one, or at least to give other types of bread as options for the customer (e.g. darker bread). Overall a place you must go when in Vilnius, regardless if you are a vegan/vegetarian or not!

Pros: Cosyness, Friendly Environment, Local Beers

Cons: Lack of bread options

Best burgers ever! - Edit

I just love their burgers, l recommend the tofu one.

Lovely atmosphere in this all vegan bar, and what l love is that they also sell beer and wine - something that is quite difficult to find in vegetarian/vegan places around. They do have tons of healthy things to eat, but they can also satisfy junk food craving!

Pros: Best burgers, All vegan , Has beer

100% vegan + healthy + friendly - Edit

Wonderful food in the old town of a wonderful city. The choices in their entirely vegan menu will surprise not only plant-based eaters but also their omnivore friends. The prices are very reasonable and the service is nice and welcoming.

Also, this bar supports the first farm sanctuary in Lithuania and the Baltic states "Trys Paršeliai" ("Three piglets") and has an "LGBT friendly" sticker on their window. Personally, I think their pro-active approach and engagement in animal rights movement and making Vilnius a better place is worth emphasizing.

Long story short - this is the first place I go for a burger when I visit Vilnius.

Pros: Entirely vegan, Supports a farm sanctuary, Friendly staff

tasty vegan burgers and more - Edit

It is kind of vegan junk food cafe, very tasty burgers, my favourite is tofu-chicken burger. Also Tortillia with tofu-chicken is great. I recommend.

Pros: tasty vegan junk food, centrally located, democratic atmosphere

Cons: lack of ventilation

Truly one of the best places to eat in Vilnius - Edit

This is a great place not only for vegans or vegetarians but for everyone. It has a variety of dishes ranging from healthy salads to burgers with fries. Mon-Fri they have business lunch offers which can always surprise you. The staff is friendly and helpful. I really recommend the burgers. They are the best not only in Vilnius :)

Pros: Quite cheap, Delicious food, Right in the city center

Tasty - Edit

Very tasty place, never disapointed, especialy good in burgers! One of best eating places in Lithuania;)

Pros: Goid food, Nice atmosphere, A lot of readings before food

Cons: Closed on Sundays

great food and great service - Edit

So many options and good food. What pushed me to five stars was the amazing service and friendliest server I've ever had in Lithuania. AND the window had an "LGBT Friendly" sticker in the window and I haven't seen that anywhere else in this country -- thank you for making me feel welcome!

Great Vegan Place with Fresh and Healthy Food - Edit

We visited this place with friends. We took sweet potato soup which was really good. I took falafel, others took tofu or bean salad. We were very satisfied with the quality and freshness of veggies. The bartender was friendly, the place was very neat, clean and cosy. I would recommend this place to anyone who wants to have vegan dinner in Vilnius.

Pros: Fresh Food, Good Atmoshpere, Friendly staff

Cons: A bit more to the expensive side

A must when you are in Vilnius - Edit

What other city gives you 18 restaurant choices? This one is special though as it is entirely vegan, the others have vegan choices. Here you can eat everything from the menu and everything is absolutely delicious. Staff are very friendly and helpful. Whilst the menu is not that extensive, they have a daily changing special, all at very reasonable prices.
Updated from previous review on Friday April 08, 2016

Pros: Small, cosy place, Wonderful food, Great service

Cons: if they could have fresh juice ....

Great place - Edit

Amazing place to eat delicious vegan food! The staff is extremely nice and the interior is all about the cruelty - free way of living. If you're looking for a place to have your lunch or dinner or just to have some snacks or dessert and a cup of tea, I would definitely recommend this place!

Super delicious food! - Edit

This is the very first vegan place in Vilnius and Lithuania but do not let only vegans to enjoy this bar! The food was even better than I could ever expect! (and prices are not high) I really love this cozy place and believe it is a must to come if you are in Vilnius! Bon appetit or 'skanaus' as we say in Lithuanian! :)

Great Vegan Burgers and Vegan Beers - Edit

Being the only all-vegan bar in Vilnius, this place is automatically love-worthy to those who eat plant-based. But not only them. Every burger-lover will find something to please the senses here. I also love their quesadilla and vegan chili. As a straight-edge (sort of) fan of Fentimans botanical drinks (which are not a common occurrence in other bars in Vilnius), I can enjoy a pub-going experience in "Gyvas baras" better than anywhere else in the city.

Pros: Excellent burgers , Different lunch menu every day , Lots of gluten free options

Cons: The desserts aren't very creative, Not great for very large companies, I really dislike those chairs :D

Best vegan burgers - Edit

This is the place where I tasted best vegan burgers in my life. Definitely recommend to try them out. If you are not into burgers, there is plenty of other delicious food to try - just ask the helpful staff to recommend something!

a great place! - Edit

it's the only completely vegan place in Vilnius, so it felt refreshing not having to check the ingredient list! the food was very tasty and staff was friendly:) the atmosphere is great!

The best vegan place - Edit

This is one of my favorite places to eat. The location is a big advantage, the service is fast, the atmosphere is cozy and the dishes are very satisfying and most importantly vegan! It's a great place to visit to eat or just get drinks and hang out. I've been there many times and I have no complaints so far and I plan to keep returning.

Good start. - Edit

I went here twice in the summer of 2015, so it must have been shortly after opening. First things first, I can't help but celebrate the first vegan eatery in Vilnius. Full marks on that grounds alone. Considering that it was such early days the food was great too - noticeably in need of some improvement, but well varied and enjoyable. I imagine it's only got better.

Pros: Location, variety, general quality

Cons: needed a bit more time to settle, into itself but I imagine that's, happened by now.

great vegan place - Edit

A really cozy little place in the old town. the food is excellent with local flavour, all vegan so you can choose everything from the menu without fear. business lunch is a great deal on weekdays.
Updated from previous review on Monday January 04, 2016

2 Responses

missLape 24 Jan 2016 - wondering why 3 stars?

jorunem 24 Jan 2016 - to be honest, I gave three stars by mistake and couldn't find how to edit it on the app. I've changed it now, so all is good :)

Place for you! - Edit

I like this place a lot. You will find there tasty food, pleasant staff and really good vibe. I'm very happy that Vilnius have first vegan place like this. If you are hungry come to GYVAS BARAS! =)

A great and cosy place to eat. - Edit

I have been here several times already and loved every one of them! My favorite meal here is the sandwich - so delicious! Also, I enjoy the variety of daily dinner options. And also it is a great place to spend the evening enjoying a beer or two with friends.

Excellent dining experience - Edit

GYVAS baras is an amazing place. They serve really good homemade food. The tofu burger is extremely tasty. They also have other nice options such as hot sandwiches with sun dried tomatoes/mushrooms, falafels, tortilla, quesadilla, sweet potato fries, great variety of teas, etc. You can order some great sorts of beer here. Staff is very helpful and friendly. Atmosphere is awesome. Highly recommend!

Pros: Friendly staff, Good music, Awesome vibe

Great place - Edit

It's really nice to see first vegan place open in Vilnius. Food is really good, I ate vegan tofu burger, mushroom sandwich and I liked orange pie as well. Staff is really pleasant & helpful, place is really cosy and nice music is playing in the background. Worth visiting.

Will give another try - Edit

I have eaten a lot of cakes in my life and I can usually eat all cakes as long as they are vegan, but the chocolate cake in Gyvas baras was the worst I had eaten. I don't know what the ingredients were. I liked the walnuts in it, but it had this ever so strange aftertaste. It might have been soy, but I am not sure. I should have aimed for their orange cake, maybe that would have been better.

My second complaint is the coffee. I know it's the same in most places in Lithuania, but oh... Even if it a regular coffee, the cup is tiny, just a few sips. In a lot of other countries I got a cup at least three times as big.

The posters are nicely made, really professional, but a) I am a vegan and I do not want to see those depressing messages b)as it is marketed as a bar for vegans, I doubt a meat eater will want to look at such posters. Veganism should be promoted with a more positive message.

However, I am happy such places exist and I wish Gyvas baras all the very very best. Will give it another try when I am in Vilnius again.

Four cows, only because the place is vegan.

Pros: All vegan

Cons: Strange chocolate cake, Tiny black coffee - just a few sips, Posters don't promote veganism

Awful - Edit

Firstly, the food is awful. Then, we waited 40 minutes for the awful food to arrive. The waitress was clueless but nice, and they gave us the beer we ordered for free. Did I mention the food is awful.

Pros: Location

Cons: Fodd is really bad, The wait for the food is way too long, A bit pricy

redakota 28 Aug 2015 - Could you please tell me what you ate there? The food in GYVAS baras for me is almost always awesome so I'm wondering what could have been so awful. Thanks!

Awesome place! - Edit

Even though Lithuania cannot offer more all-vegan places, but it can surely be proud of Gyvas Baras. It will feed a hungry soul with their mouth-watering tofu burger or a mushroom sandwich (to mention just a few). Pies are A MUST. Witty pictures will definitely make you smile.

Pros: Apt location, cosy place, delicious meals.

Cons: They might run out of cakes in the evening.

Some food to enjoy! - Edit

I have first visited this place while they were vegetarian and the food was GREAT! Keep visiting the place regularly ever since :) The size of the portions is enough to get full and the prices are not too high. Also the staff is very friendly and helpful.
Also, they are in a great location - at the very center of Vilnius.
And now they are the only vegan place here! Keep going guys and good luck :)

Pros: Excellent food, Very friendly staff, Very good location

Cons: Interior could be cozier :)

First vegan cafe in Vilnius:) - Edit

Gyvas Baras is one of the best and tastiest vegan places I've been to :) Food is good, portions are big (most important to me) and the environment is very cozy. Also I've been told that this is the first 100% vegan cafe in Vilnius (or maybe even in Lithuania?)

Pros: Everything's vegan, Comfortable location, Tasty, cozy, nice service :)

Cons: Are there any cons? :)

Nice place to eat - Edit

A friend recommended me this place to eat, and I was not disappointed - the food was tasty, the staff was nice and helpful. I also liked the interior.
Definitely coming back and recommending to others!

Don't miss it if you go to Vilnius ! - Edit

The menu is pretty cool as it's composed not only of vegan burger and fast food, but also of "real meals". Can't remember the name of what I had, but it was defenitely very good and the staff was lovely! Oh and the hummous is amazing!

Amazing! - Edit

We were traveling with ny friend and were excited to find the only vegan restaurant in town. We had trouble finding something on the menu that we didn't want to try so we ordered almost everything! The food was beautifully served and tasted like a piece of heaven. We came back the next day to order some more and we even had to order take-away before we could continue our trip! If you visit Vilnius please go here, the staff and food was lovely!

Pros: The taste of the food, The wonderful staff, Beautifully decorated restaurant

Perfect - Edit

A great place to hang out, close to all the action of Vilnius. Friendly staff, tidy indoor atmosphere, and an absolutely perfect vegan burger. The kitchen staff pride themselves on their food and genuinely want a good experience for guests!

Pros: Burger, Everything else

Tasty food, good service, nice atmosfere - Edit

I've tried burger and hot sandwich with mushrooms, both were awesome. Staff is very friendly and service was really good. Besides, music was awesome too. Recommend this place to everyone

Great food, nice stuff - Edit

I visited the restaurant at 22 july, 2015. We had a burger, the goulash, a burger and a quiche which all tasted great. The quiche was a little bit small though. Our starter soups was also great, likewise the deserts.
I can highly recommend the place.

The staff was friendly and helpful.

Pros: Nice food, Friendly staff, Nice place

Tasty food, good service. - Edit

GYVAS Baras is first and the only one (so far) pure vegan cafe in Vilnius! Being vegan myself I really appreciate such position of theirs.
Food is always fresh and they also have a nice selection of herbal teas.
Friendly and open-minded owners, you can sometimes meet them there. And last but not least - good service.
I recommend this place to everyone.
My favourite dishes: Tofu Nuggets, Hot Sandwich with Champignons, Falafels, Fried sweet potatoes, Tikka Massala, (V) Burger.

Updated from previous review on Tuesday July 07, 2015

Pros: First & the only vegan cafe in Vilnius, good, fresh food, flawless service

Worth a trip! - Edit

We found this place through Happy Cow, thank you!

After a long day in the car all the way from Liepaja we opened the door to this place. The lovely staff took care of us in the best of ways and served us delicious vegan burgers. The Alus beer was really good, I send prayers that I will be able to buy it back home in Sweden. We had the fortune to be served a brand new dessert, tofu baked into puff pastry. This one we didn't order, it just came out of the kitchen to our table. It was a nice surprise, and the chef had decorated the plate with a cat made out of fudge sauce :)

The visit here was our best experience in Vilnius. The food, the staff, the atmosphere. If you are looking for veggie food in Vilnius, this is the place you go to.

Pros: Staff, Food, Service

Return to Vilnius Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has GYVAS baras closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.