Gurkha Spice

+44-1295279099

16 Broad St, Banbury, England, OX16 5BN

Serves meat, vegan options available. Family run Indian and Nepalese restaurant, serving a wide variety of curry, balti, biryani and tandoori dishes. Menu also offers typical Nepalese specialities with distinctive flavours and spices. Dishes rely less on the extensive use of fats and more on chunky vegetables, pickled and fermented dishes and salads. Offers various vegetarian and vegan specialities. Open Mon-Sun 11:00am-11:00pm.

Category: Lacto, Ovo, Indian, Delivery, Take-out, Nepalese, Non-veg

First Review by EllePea

Spur of the Moment Sunday Night Curry - Edit

As a professional cook, having spent all weekend creating dishes for 3 separate events- and for more than 60 people, the last thing I wanted to do when I got home was more cooking. So I suggested going out to eat. But where? Curry seemed an obvious choice for a Sunday night, but the last couple of times we have been out for curry, it has been very disappointing, despite the restaurants' reputations. 'Let's try somewhere new' was our decision, so we settled on Gurkha Spice- as a friend had mentioned that the food was good. Well. good is an understatement. I am vegan, and my partner, daughter and friend who came with us are all vegetarian. Our needs were catered for without any fuss, and the waitress explained very competently what I could have, or what they could adapt for me.
We had the Dahl Soup (vn) Veg Puri (vn) Veg Samosa and Veg Momo to start. My puri was amazing, perfectly cooked, not greasy- just delicious. I tried the soup- also spot on, just the right amount of spice, so it was aromatic rather than just 'hot'.
Next, we had our mains. Special Vegetables w rice, Mixed Vegetable Biriani (vn) DELICIOUS!!!! and Saag Paneer, with a selection of Nan Bread (I had Sweet Naan, also delicious and not greasy.) I cannot recommend this restaurant highly enough, especially if you choose from the Nepalese Menu- so different from Indian curry. Our friend who recommended this place has travelled extensively in Nepal, and felt that the food served here is very authentic. We will definitely be back, I was dreaming about my curry when I went to sleep, and I wish I had some left over as I'd have it for breakfast. They claim to be the 'Best Curry in Banbury.' They are right- hands down best curry I have had in a long time!

Pros: Anything on menu can be made vegan, Waiting staff v knowledgeable , Good value for money

Cons: No stand alone vegan menu yet, Not all vegan options marked as such on menu yet

Return to Banbury Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Gurkha Spice closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.