Guilin Chinese Restaurant

520-320-7768

4445 E Broadway, Tucson, Arizona, USA, 85712

Serves meat, vegan options available. Chinese food with some vegetarian choices on the menu. Mar 2015 relocated from 3250 E Speedway Blvd. Open Mon-Thu 11:00am-9:00pm, Fri 11:00am-10:00pm, Sat 11:30am-9:30pm.

Category: Chinese, Take-out, Asian, Non-veg

First Review by BrienneAmber

Vegan and Vegetarian Dream - Edit

I have coming to this place for years and years. I love it so much! I am so spoiled and never go anywhere else for Chinese food! So many vegan options it isalmost ridiculous. Try to make it here once week! Love, love love!!!

Pros: Tons of vegan options with tofu and veggie "me, Consistent, friendly and central, Wonderful fast service

They put meat in our food. - Edit

Avoid this place if you're vegan or vegetarian. We ordered take away food from Guilin's tonight, specifically the sweet and sour veggie chicken. They gave us actual chicken. Fine. I noticed before we ate it, so we called and asked them to replace our food. Unfortunately, they threw in one piece of real chicken into our second order. The first was a mistake, I can't help but feel that the second incident was purposeful. Even worse was that I bit into it. Again: please avoid this place if you're vegan or vegetarian.

Pros: None.

Cons: They put meat in our food.

Our favorite Chinese restaurant ANYWHERE - Edit

Guilin has us spoiled. No matter where we go, no other Chinese food is as good as it is there. They just make everything perfect. Seriously, there are LOTS of vegan options, mock-meats (double check with staff for dairy), and lots of flavorful dishes that just aren't often found in a vegetarian/vegan section of a menu.

Their new location is very nice, but the parking is a little more difficult. This restaurant will not disappoint you. It's one that we've even taken out-of-town guests to, and everyone leaves happy.

Pros: Consistently great food, MANY vegan options (mock-meats, too), QUICK!

Cons: Not 100% vegan

Varied menu includes unusual dishes - Edit

On a 10-day visit to Tucson, we ate at Guilin twice, partly because they were one of the few HappyCow listings open on New Year's Day. Both of my vegan entrees were excellent: stir-fried three types of mushrooms and gluten flowers with vegetables in brown sauce and brown rice. My spouse enjoyed his non-vegetarian entrees, too. A really wide vegan selection including lots of vegetable-only dishes without soy (my personal preference), tofu dishes, and dishes with faux chicken, beef, pork, fish and shrimp. A somewhat larger imported beer selection than I ordinarily expect in a Chinese restaurant. Cheerful, friendly, efficient service. Comfortable atmosphere -- brightly lighted, spacious and clean. Good food at a moderate price. Obviously a popular spot, with a fairly diverse clientele. Grungy restroom a somewhat jarring note, out of keeping with the rest of what the place has to offer.

Pros: Varied, imaginative menu, Good food, well-prepared, Cheerful, friendly, efficient service

Cons: Grungy restroom

Great Menu! - Edit

Their menu is very clearly marked for veg*ns, with a whole column of vegan "meat" choices. The Tempura veggies are great! I don't think we've been disappointed in any of our selections. My personal fav is the lettuce wraps! Good portion size and good prices to match. The inside is average chinese style decor, nothing fancy.

Pros: Many veg*an choices it's hard to choose, Good prices, Central location

Vegan Awesomeness!! - Edit

My wife and I arte here yesterday for the first time and loved it! We are both vegans and ordered several dishes, everything was amazing, staff and service was terrific and it was not expensive. We highly recommend giving it a try!

Excellent value, excellent food - Edit

This is our go-to place for take-out. Like weekly. We love General Tso Veggie Chicken, Mongolian Veggie Beef, Kung Pao tofu (and other "meats"). The drumsticks are a fried dream. The staff is helpful, sweet and remembers/values their customers.

Pros: Quality of Food, Quantity of Food, Friendly Staff

Cons: Not our favorite eat-in place

vegan kitchen - Edit

This place has a "regular" and a vegan kitchen/menu. The food is really good and the service is friendly. They have all types of vegan "meats" and dishes. I definitely recommend this place!

Great veg-friendly menu - Edit

Guilin was a great little find for some last-minute late Sunday evening food when all the other veg restaurants were closed. The menu is awesome, even distinguishing between vegetarian and vegan menu items. We started with the "chicken wing" appetizer, a fried soybean meat on a stick. It was quite delicious though texturally a bit tough. I got the General Tso "Chicken" and my boyfriend got some coconut cashew curry tofu dish, and we both got brown rice on the side. We ordered and literally 5 minutes later the food came out! The same "chicken" as in the appetizer was battered and used in my dish, which was tasty but again kind of tough to chew. My boyfriend's dish was excellent, very creamy and flavorful. Apparently no one had ordered brown rice for a while because we got very dry crispy old rice, but the waitress quickly replaced it with fresh made rice. Our dishes were $9.99 each and a little smaller than the usual family-style dishes at most Chinese restaurants, but not unreasonable. All in all pretty good food, amazingly quick service!

Pros: Quick service, Great selection, Clearly labeled veg items

Cons: A little pricey

Great place if you have a 'blended' family! - Edit

My family has meat eaters and veg*ns so this place is great. The veg*n menus are clearly marked and the food is pretty good :D

There are a few dishes I didn't like, but they're in the minority. Also, the 'shrimp' dishes are fishy, but I loved seafood so it didn't really bother me.

Pros: good value, good food, good service

Cons: some dishes hit or miss

Wonderful! - Edit

I have never liked Chinese food. Every experience in this town has been a big ol' pile o' bland and greasy. Since discovering Guilin, it's my new go-to restaurant. I find myself craving their food all the time.

Their menu is divided into 3 parts omni, veggie, and vegan. The stuff on the vegan menu is fake meat products. The stuff on the vegetarian menu features tofu and vegetable dishes which are generally vegan as well--make sure to ask, though!

My absolute favorite dish is the fresh tofu skins with Chinese greens. It's spicy and delicious and amazing and SDKFJ;ASJFA I LOVE IT! Then there's the fake chicken dishes. Their fake chicken is really good--best I've ever had thus far in my life. I especially like it in the Mongolian Veggie Chicken dish. Yum yum yum. A recent adventurous evening, I allowed myself to try the Vegetarian Fish Fillet in Black Bean Sauce. Um, WHAT!? This thing was a bunch of little fake "meat" rectangles topped with nori to give it that "fishy" flavor. It was strangely delicious. A few misses were the eggplant dish (mushy pile of mush) and the fake beef. It's not that the beef isn't tasty...it's just not as tasty as the chicken. Plus, it looks really real...kinda freaked me out and took me a while to actually eat it. Oh, the iced green tea. Yeah...just avoid that at all costs.

The actual restaurant is super casual, like most of Tucson. It is family run and I have been cashed out by small children a few times. Pretty cute. Service is generally friendly if occasionally aloof during busy times. It gets really busy around lunch because HELLO FIVE DOLLAR LUNCH SPECIAL! I LOVE YOU! Their prices are VERY reasonable. Tofu and veggie dishes are 6-10 dollars. Veggie meat dishes are 7-15 dollars with the veggie fish and shrimp costing a bit more than the veggie beef and chicken.

Really really great place. My current favorite restaurant.

Pros: inexpensive, delicious, local

Cons: iced green tea, iced green tea , iced green tea

Consistently good service and flavor - Edit

This restaurant was highly recommended by a friend of mine. They have a large vegan and vegetarian section on their menu plus they are willing to make anything vegan they can upon request. They also offer brown rice substitution which more people should take advantage of. Great option for veggie/omni dining if you find yourself having to do that. The service is normally very fast and the price is $4.95-5.95 for all veg lunch specials.

Pros: Price, Location (Speedway & Country Club), Taste

Get your Chinese food fix - Edit

Guilin is good Chinese food that reminds me of what I used to eat before becoming vegan, but way healthier and tastier! My favorites are the Mongolian "beef" and "chicken" drumsticks. Their menu clearly states what has meat, what is vegetarian, and what is vegan so that's always a plus.

Pros: variety, tasty

Lots of options on the menu - Edit

OK, Yes this restaurant is a real find for vegan and vegetarian alike. But what I ordered wasn't terrific. I got the sweet and sour vegetable "chicken" The "chicken" was good but the sweet and sour sauce was too sweet and not too good. But my husband got the curry tofu and vegetables and his was great.
Lots of options here! I would go again, but try something else.
The staff is very friendly!

Pros: healthy, many choices, friendly staff

Cons: not super clean, not a warm atmosphere

best chinese food in tucson - Edit

they have tons of vegan options and they are clearly marked on the menu. i eat here regularly and the staff has always been very friendly and helpful. They have a just as many non-vegan options as well, making a great spot to go with your non-veggie friends.

Pros: great food, great service

Yum Food! - Edit

Seriously, if your ever in the area, go here. We are so jealous of people that live by this place. It's nice to be able to go to a resturant and not get stuck with a salad and french fries. It kind of reminded us of Denny's, cause it's so laid back and comfortable. Some of the best Chinese food we've ever had!

Pros: super nice, great food and selection, comfortable casual atmosphere

Cons: its in Tucson and we are in Calif

Good Food - Vegan Options - Edit

This is a nice place, with friendly, helpful service. The menu has 3 parts: vegan-meats, vegetarian items, and other. Much of the vegetarian stuff is also vegan, but make sure to ask. Most fried appetizers have egg batter. Food is very tasty. I recommend the vegetable noodles and curry tofu.

Pros: Good Food, Helpful Staff, Vegan Menu

Cons: Not 100% Veg

Return to Tucson Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Guilin Chinese Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.