Guan Yin Zai - Kebun Bahru

Blk 226H Ang Mo Kio St 22 no. 01-19 (at Kebun Bahru Food Centre), North Singapore, Singapore, 560226

观音斋 offers dishes like mee rebus, laksa, lor mee, fried bee hoon, dried mee or mee soup, and veg fish porridge. Open Mon-Tue 7:00am-2:00pm, Thu-Sun 7:00am-2:00pm.

Category: Vegan, Chinese

First Review by devilry

Solid, cheap vegan local hawker fare - Edit

This place seems to be quite popular - although it was a quiet Friday afternoon, I could easily see 4 or 5 people eating from the stall in the vicinity and it was out of mee pok and porridge.

Anyway, I got a lor mee and mee rebus, and asked for less oil and more vegetables. The stall owner joked that I can't ask for less oil cause there's no oil to begin with (not true really...), and charged me 50 cents for extra Cai Xin (Choy Sum).

There's oil in the fried tau kee crackers, at least, but it's definitely FAR less oily than your usual veg hawker fare. The mee rebus is not too salty, and has a thick and rich sauce. The lor mee is a little more unexceptional, but has chewy pieces of mock scallop that I quite liked. Both dishes are very generous on beansprouts.

I'll be sure to come back if I'm in the area. I do want to try the mee pok.

Pros: Cheap, Healthy, Vegan

Cons: Limited Options

Return to North Singapore Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Guan Yin Zai - Kebun Bahru closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.