Guadalupe Cafe

828-586-9877

606 W Main St, Sylva, North Carolina, USA, 28779

Serves meat, vegan options available. This cafe serves a variety of food styles on a rotating menu with a strong Latin American influence. Atmospheric with changing local art, vibrant colors, and a lively bar and (sometimes) music scene in the town's old soda shop. Eco-conscious owners, cooks, and staff. Get most of their food locally (and almost all organic). A variety of vegan and vegetarian options. Open Tue-Thu 11:30am-9:00pm, Fri 11:30am-9:30pm, Sat 11:00am-9:30pm, Sun 11:00am-9:00pm.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Indian, International, Organic, Thai, Western, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by ashi81

seasoning - Edit

Bean and rice bowl was just that. I got the tofu that was good on top but again no seasoning. Like no salt, no pepper. Had to cover my food in hot sauce.

Nice environment though.

Decent - Edit

The Guadalupe Cafe was one of about 3 restaurants that we've found in the Cherokee area to eat vegan. I have to give them kudos for acknowledging their vegan customers with dishes that could translate. We had the fried tofu with peanut sauce and crispy carrots along with small garden salads as appetizers. The tofu had very little flavor and the peanut sauce, although good, did not improve the blandness of this dish.
My hubby had the vegan version of their jerk chicken. I had the Mango Pork Tacos vegan style which were obviously burritos but oh well...its North Carolina not the southwest. Hubby was satisfied and so was I. Although not outstanding by any means, it was nourishing and animal-free which was the main thing and they are at least trying to offer something that vegans can eat.
I really feel compelled to make one negative comment here, however. I reeeeeally can't stand to see restaurants that serve dead animals make claims that the corpses they sell were treated well before they were slaughtered and their bodies cut into pieces for humans to eat. I'm not an activist or a revolutionary but we don't commend mothers or caregivers who may have treated a child well and provided well for their needs...until they day they murdered them. This is a stupid and pathetic attempt by a commercial entity to make people think they care about animal welfare. I was sickened to see a similar statement on the menu at the Guadalupe. In fact, their statement repulsed me a little more than most by their claims of treating 'the animals in our food supply with dignity'. I wonder if Jeffrey Dahmer thought the same about his treatment of his 'food supply'.
Overall, even though the food was decent, we won't be going back and that entirely unnecessary, self-aggrandizing statement in their menu is why. If you're going to do it, at least OWN what you're doing and stop making yourself out to be compassionate and loving toward animals. McDonalds has never even remotely made those claims and they're making trillions. The people who eat the flesh of slaughtered animals are not going to care if you scratched their ears before you put that bolt through their brain. Just stop.

Pros: offers vegan options on several dishes.

Cons: hypocritical trend-following cafe replete with bea

very good - Edit

I was happy to find several vegan options here, as well as several other options that can be made vegan. The service was excellent and the food was amazing. I would love to visit again!

Yum! - Edit

Guadalupe offers several vegan and gluten free options on their menu, and seem to be willing to veganize other menu items. We sat outside with our pup and enjoyed the food and small town atmosphere.

Pros: Vegan, gf options , Outdoor patio

Eccentric Small Town Restaurant - Edit

Guadalupe is a great place to eat; several dishes vegetarian, several are are veganizable (or straight up vegan) and there is often a vegan and vegetarian daily special. On some days, they have vegan desserts like a chocolate coconut pudding and sometimes they have their vegan horchata (not on a day I've been on there yet though!)
I've been there twice so far and do plan on going again.
The first time, I had the Blackened Plantain without the cheese and and with tofu; not the prettiest of dishes but so delicious!
The next time I went I had the Gado Gado salad with tofu and while I usually don't order salads, I was in the mood for something with peanuts and was pleasantly surprised with how good it was.
Another cool aspect is they use local ingredients and have an ingredient board telling you where the current local ingredient selection is from. The place looks somewhat like a 1950's dinner, with added murals, dinosaurs, and paper lanterns.
All and all, good food and good atmosphere.

Pros: generous portions, friendly staff, uses local ingredients

Return to Sylva Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Guadalupe Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.