GRUB Food Fair at Mayfield

• Other Other
+44-7917096707

Baring St (at Mayfield), Manchester, England, M1 2AD

Serves meat, vegan options available. Local street food events company working to build the profile of veganism in Manchester. Located at at Mayfield (a disused railway station undergoing a complete makeover and transformation in 2017), the traders vary week on week but there is always vegan food on offer, labeled clearly. There is a dog bar for pet dogs that gives out free vegan dog biscuits. The bar includes vegan wine and spirits. Incorporates 'Plant Powered Sundays' when the event is completely vegan and hosted by an eclectic mix of food vendors offering vegan food from around the world. Open Fri-Sat 12:00pm-10:00pm, Sun 12:00pm-8:00pm.

First Review by Hoggy

Vegan Heaven - Edit

Grub is a street food events company, who organise events in Manchester at Mayfield, a disused railway station, undergoing massive investment, to bring back to life this iconic site. Grub introduced Plant Powered Sundays to Mayfield awhile back, offering 100% vegan food from an eclectic mix of street food vendors, a vegan friendly bar, with gardening and wildlife activities for everyone to enjoy.

I loved the use of shipping containers to house the vendors, the creative wooden planters and the whole concept of the place, a chilled out atmosphere, great music, very friendly vendors and awesome vegan food.

I kicked off with a vegan friendly ESB beer from The Runaway Brewery, whilst hubby had a pint of Smash from Manchester Brewing Company, there were so many vegan beers, it was hard to make a choice.

I kicked off with a jackfruit Po' Boy from Mama Sues, who offer food from the deep south. This was a cracking sandwich absolutely perfect, packed with flavour with a proper chilli kick, absolutely delicious. They also had jambalaya, gumbo or 'Mish Mash' a bit of everything.

Hubby fancied a chickpea Kati roll and masala fries from Vaso Kitchen, who serve Indian street food, it was delicious with plenty filling and perfectly spiced chickpeas, vegan raita and loads of fresh coriander, red chillies and red cabbage. The fries were so good, we had two portions.

We could not resist the vegan cakes on offer, from Drizzle City Bakes, the display was quite breathtaking and knocks into a cocked hat the idea that vegans cannot eat cake.
I chose rocky road and hubby had the banana peanut butter brownie and we were not disappointed, the cakes were lush and so tasty.

We were way too full to partake of the delicious selection of Arancini from Artisam maybe next time.

We so enjoyed ourselves and by the number of people flocking in, this event is proving very popular with all age groups having a great time. I hope the concept continues to expand and impress and although I am sure not everyone was vegan, with food this good, it certainly dispels the myth that vegan food is bland, boring and just salad. The vendors can be proud of their cooking, I love my food and I was impressed.

Pros: 100% vegan food, Vegan beers, Family friendly

Good GRUB - Edit

So far I’ve managed to visit two GRUB events and been welcomed each time by lovely greeters. The locations that GRUB choose are fantastic, the atmosphere is brilliant, and the setting is really eclectic and modern. There’s always a wide array of hot food, at least one sweet treat trader, and vegan alcohol. I’m trying to avoid writing about specific traders, as I don’t want to outshine other stallholders that I’ve not visited yet, as they’re all absolutely brilliant. Whenever I can I make an effort to visit the vegan GRUB events, and I recommend others to do the same. It’s also a great environment for people transitioning to veganism, those who are interested in it, or for general omnivores too as there’s plenty to try, something for everyone!

Pros: Traders changes each event, Variety of traders at each event, Fantastic location

Cons: Nothing!

Return to Manchester Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has GRUB Food Fair at Mayfield closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.