Grove Cafe

Contact 0113-2302727

Grove House, 133-135 Cardigan Road, Leeds, England, LS6 1LJ

Serves meat, vegan options available. Offers labeled vegetarian and vegan food items. Has vegan cheese for pizza and burgers. Curries can be made vegan using meat substitutes and tofu. Open Tue-Sat 5:00pm-12:00am, Wed-Sun 12:00am-12:00am.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Pizza, Indian, Fast food, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by chlough

Used to be a favourite vegan pizza place, now a bit more hit and miss - Edit

I used to love vegan pizzas from the Grove! In the past couple of years we've been ordering it less and less frequently (up to not at all in the past year or so), as the quality has been a little hit and miss, I don't know what the change is down to. Maybe it spends longer in the box before it gets delivered, as I just read a glowing review by someone who had it in the restaurant lately. Amazing when they get it right in any case, so worth a try.

Updated from previous review on 2016-07-18

Pros: Great range of potentially yummy vegan pizzas, Great range of vegan curries

Cons: The take-away pizzas have been a bit hit and miss

Sensational! - Edit

This restaurant's website confusingly lists this place as takeaway only, but you can actually eat in as well. It is in a distinctly uninspiring area full of boarded-up shops, but look closer! The run-down exterior is hiding a gem of a vegetarian menu with many vegan options; there are burgers and curries but these are quite outshone by the amazing selection of pizzas. It is astounding that a joint (excuse the term) serving meat should cater so well for us vegan pizza-heads.

The staff were very busy when we were there and it was sometimes a struggle to get hold of e.g. an extra fork, but really the food was so good I don't care. They also had a vegan chocolate cake. The icing on said cake: everything costs next to nowt!

Pros: Smashing pizza menu, good curries too, really cheap!

Cons: Shabby, serves meat

vegan pizza - Edit

Love this place and a good range of vegan pizzas. Very friendly staff and always happy to help. Nice cafe and a good place to go if you want a basic friendly atmosphere cafe.

Pros: good vegan choice, cheap, friendly staff

Cons: bit out from the centre, only open in the evening , also sell meat products

My local - Edit

I've eaten here often and it's usually the first place i think of if i want to order take out. They have a good selection of clearly labelled vegan pizzas and curries. It's not the healthiest, but it's inexpensive and flavoursome.

The staff are always friendly, the music is totally variable - sometimes they play Miles Davis, other times, dance music - but it's never too loud to detract from sitting in.

In a city that doesn't have a solely vegan restaurant, we have to make do with what is on offer and the Grove is one of the best options.

Pros: Friendly staff, Inexpensive, Tasty

Cons: Meat served

Nice take-out and eating in service. - Edit

I have been here twice and ordered once. Each time I have thoroughly enjoyed the pizzas. The bases are absolutely fantastic and the toppings are brilliant. And there are vegan cakes to buy, both I tried are excellent but very sweet. The second time I went, the service was a bit slow but that may be due to having only one waitress. Would recommend.

Pros: Vegan friendly, Great food, Good value

Cons: Staff were a bit slow

Great vegan pizza and curries - Edit

The Grove is a great restaurant (and take-away or delivery, if you want it at home) and if only it wasn't located 200 miles away from me I'd be ordering from it regularly!

The staff are friendly and very considerate of vegans - for example, the waiter noticed that we'd all ordered vegan starters, so he checked whether or not we wanted yoghurt sauce with the bhajis.

There's lots of choice for vegetarians and vegans, the veggie stuff marked with a V and the vegan stuff marked VV. In addition to a wide range of delicious curries, they also offer a decent list of vegan pizzas! They're really nice, too - not just bread and tomato sauce as I've seen elsewhere, but actual pizzas with good toppings and some grated vegan cheese. The bases are really nice Italian-style ones.

Maybe I've been living in London too long, but the prices seemed very good to me. Four of us shared two starters, plus a main each with extra rice, and drinks, for under £40.

I don't know if other vegans feel it's a compromise to eat at a restaurant that serves meat, but I think that when a restaurant makes a genuine effort to accommodate vegans then it's worth going.

Unfortunately Happy Cow won't let me give non-veg*n places full marks, which is a shame as The Grove easily beats some of the all-vegan restaurants I've visited.

Highly recommended.

Pros: Friendly, vegan-aware staff, Range of dishes - vegan pizza!, Good value for money

vegan pizza heaven - Edit

I used to live just over the road from Grove Cafe, and regularly ordered take away or set in for a meal. And although not completely vegetarian, completely trustworthy.

Super tasty vegan pizzas available, not just the normal with loads of vegan cheese in the place of regular cheese (i hate vegan cheese). Noon pizza is recommended, which has tonnes of spinach.

They also serve curries, salads, garlic breads.

Pros: vegan pizza, healthy, friendly staff

Return to Leeds Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Grove Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2392 times since Apr 2012.