Ground Control

Contact 773-772-9446

3315 W Armitage Ave (at Kimball), Chicago, Illinois, USA, 60647

Vegetarian restaurant with eclectic menu featuring in-house-made seitan, fresh pasta, salads, sandwiches, local craft beers, wine and spirits. Many items can be made vegan upon request. Open Tue-Thu 5:00pm-10:00pm, Fri 5:00pm-11:00pm, Sat 11:30am-11:00pm, Sun 11:30am-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American, Italian, Beer/Wine, Latin

First Review by Vegan Vagabond

Go here and then Rosa's Lounge for a great night out. - Edit

Me and my boyfriend weren't ready for how delicious this place is, completely unexpected from a bar. We got the wings with an asian barbecue sauce and were in awe, they were just so ridiculously good. We also got tacos and a soul plate, all incredible. We overheard the bartender say that the chef is having an off day and that the food might not be as great and we were like whaaaaa?!. If this was an off-day I wonder how delicious an on-day would be! The drinks were made in front of us with premium ingredients, very delicious and worth the money. The decor of the place is kinda punk rock, great ambience for a bar. Afterwards we crossed the street to check out the Blues Club called Rosa's Lounge and danced the night away. We still talk about how amazing Ground Control was and how we have to go back.

Pros: Amazing Food, Well Made Drinks, Punk Ambience

Delicious! - Edit

Ground Control is in the same vein as Chicago Diner. Just guessing from the vibe, I'd put it in the old-school Chicago punk category of vegetarianism, as opposed to the hippie category and the lumpish ethnic or religious category. Chicago punk may be a small category, but I count it for something because this is Chicago, though we certainly appreciate the benefits provided by those operating restaurants in the other categories.

My only experiences at Ground Control have been for brunch--or lunch with drinks, as I prefer to think of it because I've always had breakfast five or six hours earlier. Both the food and the cocktails are good. I wish the brunch menu were a little less diner-ish--that is, less fried--but I get that that's probably the idea. The beer-braised greens that come as a side choice are probably my favorite thing. I will definitely be going back, and I wish I lived in their delivery area.

Pros: Good food, Unpretentious

Great vegan food! - Edit

We has gravy and biscuits, bbqd seitan sandwich, and their bloody Mary for brunch. Everything tasted great and the staff were helpful. I wish they had gender neutral restrooms.

Pros: Good vegan options, Fair prices, Knowledgeable staff

Cons: No gender neutral restrooms

Food from planet earth - Edit

I have eaten at Ground Control! several times and loved it each time. It's a cool space with a fairly unique menu (ranging from housemade pasta to tofu taco creations). They offer many awesome tofu and seitan sandwiches (the Asian BBQ sandwich is my personal favorite). All in all, this is definitely one of my favorite newer veg restaurants in Chicago.

Pros: Nice variety on the menu, Unique menu items, Cool atmosphere

Pretty good, would need to try again - Edit

The food my husband and I had here was delicious - mashed potatoes and a seitan sandwich. When we were here, they had no creamy vegan options - no vegan ranch for the vegan wings, only dairy-based ranch. The sandwiches we had had to be served without cheese since they did not have Daiya. I have heard that they did start supplying both of these things, so I guess I need to go back to check it out. The peanut butter chocolate cake we had for dessert was very tasty but not out-of-this world. It was just like a homemade cake. I can't complain too much though because I am very thankful that they offer vegan desserts. I gave this place a lower rating because I think they could offer more vegan options and bigger portions, especially since it was kind of price-y.

Pros: tasty food, vegan options, nice decor

Cons: small portions, expensive, not the best location

so good! welcome to the neighborhood!! - Edit

THANK YOU for giving us vegan/GF options!! Mwwwwahhhh!

Pros: close to home!, delicious

Ground Control - Edit

Ground Control is just OK in my book. And if we're being honest here, I'll also tell you I'll likely never return. Why? The food was just lackluster - I also have higher expectations when a restaurant charges higher prices in comparison to their peers.

I asked the waitress to recommend the best thing on the menu. So I received the Jibarito sandwich. If I were the waitress, I'd likely not recommend this as the best sandwich. It was basically seitan between two big pieces of plantains as bread. The plantains were so overwhelming that I ended up eating the inside of the sandwich, leaving them behind on the plate. I left feeling dissatisfied.

Nice New Place, Try It! - Edit

I've only been once, but it is certainly worth a try. I went with a big group and we all had varying degrees of happiness with our meals. Items we enjoyed: pastan with tomato sauce and walnuts, jabarito, stewed seitan tacos, and desserts. The menu is a little limited and mixed, but is interesting. The place is new and few has issues to work out, but I sure hope they make a go of it. It is really a nice neighborhoody place and a vegan/vegetarian restaurant is always a welcome addition.

Pros: Good value, Nice atmosphere, Good food

Great food. Great people. - Edit

This place is new, but I have been twice and both times have been great. Very tasty food, reasonable portions, and fair prices. Probably the best vegan carrot cake in Chicago.

BTW: I like it spicy. I got the hot wings and they were very mild. I commented on this and the owner/chef made me a habanero sauce that was semi-spicy. He then made me a "habanero vinaigrette sauce." It was fantastic! The perfect mix of flavor and heat. When I went in the second time, I asked for it when I ordered my food and they whipped up a batch for me. I highly recommend this sauce.

Pros: Food, Service, Staff

Return to Chicago Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Ground Control closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.