Grön Restaurant

09-42893358

Albertinkatu 36, Helsinki, Finland, 00180

Serves meat, vegan options available. Small menu of new Nordic cuisine with emphasis on locally sourced ingredients, served in a simple bistro-like setting. There always a vegan version of its 4-course menu, and individual courses can also be veganized (if not already). Menu changes every couple months. Open Tue-Sat 5:00pm-12:00am.

Categories: Lacto, Ovo, European, Nordic, Non-veg

First Review by vehka

Surprising, fresh, friendly! - Edit

Nice surprising flavours, relaxed atmosphere and super friendly staff made us feel comfortable and welcome. Very fine dining without the feel of upthightness.

Worth trying - Edit

We had dinner here one Saturday evening. Place was packed, but good thing we had made a reservation online, which was quick and simple. I would suggest you do the same if you intend to eat here.

The food was quite good but not great—nothing really stood out—it was for sure fresh tasting and an all around fun experience. The bread was served with seasoned sunflower seeds and flavored salt which we could sprinkle on our bread instead of just plain ol' butter on the side. I also had this beet course that came with a dip and roasted poppy seeds where I was instructed to eat with a sharpened twig. It imparted a woodsy taste to the beets, which I found quite interesting.

All that being said, there were three things that struck me during our meal that I thought could be worked on. First, I know this is an informal place—kind of quirky and hipster actually. Nothing wrong with that, but all the random flatware in the utensil holder (you grab your own; tables aren't set) and water glasses just seemed so incongruent and much too casual. Second, being vegan meant they gave me homemade sunflower seed butter instead of dairy butter to go with the bread. It was a thoughtful touch, nice on its own, and I imagine would be delicious in a jelly sandwich, but it was too assertive and didn't really go with the sourdough. The viscosity wasn't conducive to slathering either. Lastly, the sorrel drinks they upsold us were a bit of rip-off—€8 per glass and they poured it like it was wine, i.e. very stingy.

Overall it was a fun evening. We were glad we tried it. The price was more than reasonable at around €50 per person for a four-course dinner without drinks. The food was good, although I thought it was more about the experience. They did miss the mark in some places but those were insignificant in the grand scheme of things. We went to Spis the night before and both of us found it superior. I'm between 3 and 4 on this one on a scale of 5 but probably closer to a 4.

Pros: creative food, good value

Cons: much too informal

Amazing seasonal, foraged new nordic meal (vegan) - Edit

We went there last week (early June) and had booked ahead of time via their website and let them know we wanted the vegan meals. The restaurant was quite busy during our meal but the staff were great, and really attentive to us, despite having two large dining parties to attend to.

We got two 4 course vegan meals for 49 Euro each.
Starting with sourdough with spruce salt and sunflower seeds with spruce powder. (So good!) our friend who was with us had a buckwheat based GF bread with her meal. It also came with broad bean dip which was fabulous.

The starter was young asparagus with summer herbs and a special dip (I can't quite remember what it was sorry! -maybe watercress?) but it was delicious.

This was followed by a dish of peas with crispy kale, cabbage and vinegar. (Tasted better than it sounds)

The main was slow roasted carrot steak which had been cooked overnight, with char-grilled carrots and and carrot slices, and mushroom reduction sauce.

The dessert was a foraged spruce shoot 'granita' with pine cream and almond milk cream. Delicious, and great for summer! Pretty unusual.

Before leaving they also brought a coffee chocolate praline with some dried berry powder on top -as a last bite.

The beer we had was a local Finnish organic pilsner which was pretty awesome and a japanese ume plum wine, which was equally fantastic.

A high emphasis on seasonal, high quality ingredients, prepared and presented by the lovely staff. Each dish was introduced by the chefs or serving staff in English for us non-finns which was hugely appreciated, they did a great job.

We were pretty full when we left and didn't feel like the meal had been missing anything. Unique experience for vegan dining in Sweden/Finland and we were really happy with our experience. Fine dining in a comfortable setting with such skilled chefs is a real rarity.

Pros: well composed dishes with foraged ingredients, friendly staff who were awesome, interesting vegan dining experience (really innova

Cons: book ahead to be guaranteed a table

Innovative food, relaxed setting, light on protein - Edit

Went there on a weeknight in February, and the place was completely full. Despite that, there was an unhurried, efficient and friendly vibe.

While waiting for the starters to arrive, we munched on the delicious sourdough bread baked in-house served with sunflower seed butter.

We had a "nordic hummus" and an onion broth for starters and grilled jerusalem artichokes for the main course. Before the main course, we were given an extra dish of beetroot.

The dishes used wild vegetables for seasoning and garnish, and they were carefully prepared. The staff introduced each dish attentively.

For dessert, we shared a carrot sorbet with almond butter.

On our way out, we were served an extra dessert – two delicious pralines.

There was a selection of organic wines that was sampled thoroughly by the couple sitting next to us – they seemed to enjoy them greatly – but we opted for the APA brewed in a micro-brewery in Western Finland.

Everything cost us 90 euros, quite a reasonable price, we thought.

We really enjoyed our dinner at Grön, even though the food was somewhat lacking in protein. We didn't leave hungry – far from it, but especially the main course would've really benefited from the added contrast of a protein. Even though the jerusalem artichokes were delicious, eating a big pile of them becomes a bit monotonous, no matter how lovingly they are prepared.

Comes recommended, unless you really want your protein in every dish. Then again, there are not really places like this in Helsinki – fine dining in a relaxed setting.

Pros: innovative use of wild veggies, friendly and relaxed vibe, lovingly prepared dishes

Cons: where's my vegan protein?

Return to Helsinki Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Grön Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.