Greenway

• Vegetarian
Contact 09-2690769

Nederkouter 42, Gent, Ghent, Belgium,

Veggie fast food restaurant with several outlets in Belgium. Greenway aims to introduce as many people as possible to its creative vegetarian cuisine because it is delicious, healthy and sustainable. Based on this tasty idea, Paul Florizoone launched the Greenway restaurant concept in Ghent in 1996. An idea so fresh that over the years, Greenway has grown into a trendsetter in vegetarian cuisine with restaurants in Brussels, Antwerp, Ghent, and Leuven.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Western, Fast food, Juice bar, Take-out

First Review by Bethie

Big fan! - Edit

We're a big fan!
The best food we had in Ghent :D

Especially the greenway wrap was so good! And the salad that comes with it was very tasteful as well, Not like those ‘’other boring side salads’’ you sometimes get. With the white sauce you can find on the table even better.

interesting food choices - Edit

Nicely located in the center of Ghent, cant believe it took me so long to get there, i was pleasantly surprised :)

Went there twice in a week, got two different burgers each time, very nice taste, good size, enough for a full meal i would say! very nice staff and nice menu, have to try some wraps and some noodle/pasta next time, will go there again for sure..!

the price is actually ok, not too expensive

only downside is that when you sit outside you cant face each other, but only the road, but that's really not important, the food was delicious :)

Pros: Food is great, inexpensive, menu variety

Cons: outside sitting is very small, you can only pay with card

Good vegetarian fast food - Edit

Casual and inexpensive fast food restaurant. Plenty of clearly labelled vegan options. The Syrische kebab is great if you like mock-meat. The falafel wrap is also good. A couple of vegan desserts are available (brownie, carrot cake). Good selection of bottled beers. Friendly staff - the owner kindly gave us free brownies!

Pros: Friendly staff, Inexpensive, Vegan options

Cons: Too casual for a fancy meal

Good concept, disappointing food - Edit

It’s always nice to see a new veggie chain, and the vibe at Greenway is nice: a relaxed, helpful, vegan-friendly setup where you order at a “fast food” type of counter at the back of the restaurant and then your food is brought to you. However the quality of the food was really disappointing. On the first visit I had a tempeh dish which was overwhelmingly lettuce with a small amount of tempeh, but was pleasant enough. However on a second visit I ordered the spaghetti bolognese which had almost no flavour. I left half of it (I almost never do that) and noticed others doing the same. Would be an OK addition in a town with no veggie alternatives, however in Ghent and Leuven, I’m not so sure. Having got the concept right they need to urgently improve the quality of their recipes if they are going to hold their own against a lot of competition.

Pros: Helpful staff, Vegan friendly

Cons: Poor flavours, Too much lettuce etc as padding

Friendly, Affordable - Edit

I'd just cycled from Brugge, so when I passed a veggie cafe I just had to stop. Flemish menu but friendly, helpful staff (a lot was guessable anyway.) Vegan items clearly marked. My "chilli sin carne" was nice but somewhat bland to my English tastebuds. Lovely carrot cake. Oh and they happily charged my phone. I was tempted to sit at the pavement tables but it looked like rain. Indoor stools rather hard for a cyclist.

Pros: Fair Price, Pavement Seating, Vegan Friendly

Cons: Hard Seats, Bland Chilli

Nice dinner - Edit

Really good spinachs hamburguer and good Bolognese style spaguettis. Maybe a little overpriced but the service was very kind and smiley.

Pros: service, flavour, calm place

Cons: price

Great Fast Food!! - Edit

My girlfriend and I visited Greenway Foods on the 8th March 2014. I had the vegan kebab wrap (which comes with salad) and my girlfriend had the spinach burger. Both were excellent! There are 6 vegan mains on the menu and two vegan deserts, carrot (wortel) cake and chocolate brownie. Soft drinks, beer and wine are available. The friendly chap who served us spoke perfect English and was able to explain the menu and go into detail about what was in the vegan dishes. You order at the counter but your food is brought to the table. The decor is simple yet funky. If in Ghent and fancying some great, healthy fast food then visit Greenway, you won't be disappointed!!

Pros: Very vegan friendly, Cheap, Very tasty

great for an evening with friends - Edit

The food is great, the staff is really friendly, and the portions are huge.

I especially looooove the vegan brownies!

There's also a large choice in organic juices and drinks.

It's cosy, but not really fit for a romantic date, we mostly go there for a casual evening out with friends.

It's located near the center of town, so perfect for when you planned a day out in Ghent.

Pros: friendly staff, great food, large choice

Cons: not a lot of place to sit, sometimes a bit noisy

Friendly staff, nice atmosphere, limited for vegan - Edit

I've been to Greenway 3 times now, and have always found the staff to be really nice and helpful. They happily translate the menu, and point out vegan items (also marked by a carrot on menu). I also like the casual atmosphere of Greenway, it has a relaxed feel. The food however isn't amazing... I really want to like it, but everytime I've been there I'd rate my dish only 5 out of 10 in terms of imagination and flavour. There are also only a limited number of vegan options, and things that could easily be made vegan (like the pesto and the thai curry) are not vegan, which is disappointing. I'm a vegan, but my partner, who eats cheese and eggs, always enjoys his meal more than me, which leaves me to conclude this resto is great for lacto-ovo vegos, but not for vegans.

I've had the chilli beans and rice, the bolognese, and the vege burger. The vege burger was the best of the lot, but still kind of dry. The chilli beans and the bolognese just didn't have enough flavour... Anyway, Greenway is totally OK, if you're hungry and need to eat something quick, but it's not particularly inspiring.

Pros: Casual atmosphere, Friendly staff

Cons: Lacks flavour, Limited vegan options

Best vegan burger! - Edit

I recently stumbled upon this restaurant on in the street and was plesantly suprised. Nice decor and friendly (english speaking) staff who are only to happy to help. They also have an english menu and vegan options clearly marked. The food is inexpensive and very tasty! They have great to go options, I loved their sandwhich and vegan chocolate brownies!! But their carrot burger was amazing! Best vegan burger I have ever had! I will definitely be going back!

Pros: excellent food, healthy cuisine, good value

My favorite burger in Gent - Edit

I really love the Wortelburger at Greenway. It's a carrot patty with a slice of pineapple and a yummy sauce, and it's all vegan. They also have a couple of vegan rice dishes that are good, but the Wortelburger is the best item on the menu, in my opinion. You can get a cup of soup to go with it. They also have several specials, some of which are vegan. I tried the Brazilian Wrap recently and was very disappointed. It was mostly lettuce. They usually don't have any vegan desserts in stock.

Pros: Wortelburger, friendly staff, good food in general

Cons: wraps, lack of vegan desserts, occasionally crowded

Return to Ghent Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Greenway closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4149 times since Aug 2007.