Greenway

09-2690769

Nederkouter 42, Gent, Ghent, Belgium,

Veggie fast food restaurant with several outlets in Belgium. Greenway aims to introduce as many people as possible to its creative vegetarian cuisine because it is delicious, healthy and sustainable. Based on this tasty idea, Paul Florizoone launched the Greenway restaurant concept in Ghent in 1996. An idea so fresh that over the years, Greenway has grown into a trendsetter in vegetarian cuisine with restaurants in Brussels, Antwerp, Ghent, and Leuven. Open Mon-Sat 11:00am-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Western, Fast food, Juice bar, Take-out

First Review by Bethie

Tasty and lots of vegan options - Edit

Everything is vegetarian, a lot is vegan. Vegan options are clearly indicated as such. I had a falafel wrap and potato wedges with aioli. Both were very tasty, also very filling and large portions. Friendly staff, nice atmosphere.

Pros: a lot of vegan options, also healthy options, large portions , friendly staff

red pepper Burger - Edit

The burger is awesome I highly recommend. They can be very busy in the evening so you may expect a wait. The wedges are also really good.

Updated from previous review on 2017-03-02

Pros: quality, lots of greens, decent location

Yummy kebabwrap and good coffee - Edit

Had the kebabwrap and a soy latte. The flavour of the wrap was nice - tasty garlic sauce and the texture of the mock meat was good, also came with a nice side salad. Asked for a strong latte and they delivered - it was strong and big. More of a fast food type place but lots of seating and friendly service. Cold if you're sitting by the door.

Great for quick snack - Edit

I used to do this place on the regular because it was close to my faculty. nice place for a quick snack and a coffee with a view on the busy street. decent pricing, medium portions, good food

Pros: cosy place, friendly staff

Best vegan place in town - Edit

We tried a number of vegan establishments during our time in Ghent. My girlfriend is a vegan and very strong-willed – so I didn’t have much of a choice. But Greenway was, by far, the best.

With wraps, burgers, salads and a specials’ board, there’s something here for everyone – vegans, vegetarians and celiacs alike (gluten free options available).

I had the Greenway kebab wrap, which included some sort of meat substitute, salad and delicious garlic vegenaise. This was… a taste sensation. The wrap melted in my mouth – I was in food heaven. For a moment, I thought my vegan transformation was about to occur. This one wrap could turn me into everything my girlfriend wanted me to be – and yet, no luck.

I returned the next day (this time of my own free will) and shared a burger and a salad with my girlfriend. The burger failed to stimulate a phantasmagoric reaction in the same way as the wrap, but it was still nice.

Would highly recommend.

Pros: Great food, Pleasant atmosphere

Big fan! - Edit

We're a big fan!
The best food we had in Ghent :D

Especially the greenway wrap was so good! And the salad that comes with it was very tasteful as well, Not like those ‘’other boring side salads’’ you sometimes get. With the white sauce you can find on the table even better.

interesting food choices - Edit

Nicely located in the center of Ghent, cant believe it took me so long to get there, i was pleasantly surprised :)

Went there twice in a week, got two different burgers each time, very nice taste, good size, enough for a full meal i would say! very nice staff and nice menu, have to try some wraps and some noodle/pasta next time, will go there again for sure..!

the price is actually ok, not too expensive

only downside is that when you sit outside you cant face each other, but only the road, but that's really not important, the food was delicious :)

Pros: Food is great, inexpensive, menu variety

Cons: outside sitting is very small, you can only pay with card

Very good fast food - Edit

For fast food the quality is really good and the price is fair. Recommended.

Yummy in my tummy - Edit

This is a really good fast food place. The vegan Mayo is amazing! The wraps and the burgers are super yum! The staff are always friendly and seem to really care.

Good vegetarian fast food - Edit

Casual and inexpensive fast food restaurant. Plenty of clearly labelled vegan options. The Syrische kebab is great if you like mock-meat. The falafel wrap is also good. A couple of vegan desserts are available (brownie, carrot cake). Good selection of bottled beers. Friendly staff - the owner kindly gave us free brownies!

Pros: Friendly staff, Inexpensive, Vegan options

Cons: Too casual for a fancy meal

Good concept, disappointing food - Edit

It’s always nice to see a new veggie chain, and the vibe at Greenway is nice: a relaxed, helpful, vegan-friendly setup where you order at a “fast food” type of counter at the back of the restaurant and then your food is brought to you. However the quality of the food was really disappointing. On the first visit I had a tempeh dish which was overwhelmingly lettuce with a small amount of tempeh, but was pleasant enough. However on a second visit I ordered the spaghetti bolognese which had almost no flavour. I left half of it (I almost never do that) and noticed others doing the same. Would be an OK addition in a town with no veggie alternatives, however in Ghent and Leuven, I’m not so sure. Having got the concept right they need to urgently improve the quality of their recipes if they are going to hold their own against a lot of competition.

Pros: Helpful staff, Vegan friendly

Cons: Poor flavours, Too much lettuce etc as padding

Friendly, Affordable - Edit

I'd just cycled from Brugge, so when I passed a veggie cafe I just had to stop. Flemish menu but friendly, helpful staff (a lot was guessable anyway.) Vegan items clearly marked. My "chilli sin carne" was nice but somewhat bland to my English tastebuds. Lovely carrot cake. Oh and they happily charged my phone. I was tempted to sit at the pavement tables but it looked like rain. Indoor stools rather hard for a cyclist.

Pros: Fair Price, Pavement Seating, Vegan Friendly

Cons: Hard Seats, Bland Chilli

Nice dinner - Edit

Really good spinachs hamburguer and good Bolognese style spaguettis. Maybe a little overpriced but the service was very kind and smiley.

Pros: service, flavour, calm place

Cons: price

Great Fast Food!! - Edit

My girlfriend and I visited Greenway Foods on the 8th March 2014. I had the vegan kebab wrap (which comes with salad) and my girlfriend had the spinach burger. Both were excellent! There are 6 vegan mains on the menu and two vegan deserts, carrot (wortel) cake and chocolate brownie. Soft drinks, beer and wine are available. The friendly chap who served us spoke perfect English and was able to explain the menu and go into detail about what was in the vegan dishes. You order at the counter but your food is brought to the table. The decor is simple yet funky. If in Ghent and fancying some great, healthy fast food then visit Greenway, you won't be disappointed!!

Pros: Very vegan friendly, Cheap, Very tasty

expensive for simple dishes - Edit

I went there once, the food was good but the price was excessive for a very simple dish.

Pros: nice atmosphere, good drinks

Cons: price

great for an evening with friends - Edit

The food is great, the staff is really friendly, and the portions are huge.

I especially looooove the vegan brownies!

There's also a large choice in organic juices and drinks.

It's cosy, but not really fit for a romantic date, we mostly go there for a casual evening out with friends.

It's located near the center of town, so perfect for when you planned a day out in Ghent.

Pros: friendly staff, great food, large choice

Cons: not a lot of place to sit, sometimes a bit noisy

Friendly staff, nice atmosphere, limited for vegan - Edit

I've been to Greenway 3 times now, and have always found the staff to be really nice and helpful. They happily translate the menu, and point out vegan items (also marked by a carrot on menu). I also like the casual atmosphere of Greenway, it has a relaxed feel. The food however isn't amazing... I really want to like it, but everytime I've been there I'd rate my dish only 5 out of 10 in terms of imagination and flavour. There are also only a limited number of vegan options, and things that could easily be made vegan (like the pesto and the thai curry) are not vegan, which is disappointing. I'm a vegan, but my partner, who eats cheese and eggs, always enjoys his meal more than me, which leaves me to conclude this resto is great for lacto-ovo vegos, but not for vegans.

I've had the chilli beans and rice, the bolognese, and the vege burger. The vege burger was the best of the lot, but still kind of dry. The chilli beans and the bolognese just didn't have enough flavour... Anyway, Greenway is totally OK, if you're hungry and need to eat something quick, but it's not particularly inspiring.

Pros: Casual atmosphere, Friendly staff

Cons: Lacks flavour, Limited vegan options

Tasty Smoothy - Edit

I only tasted the "greenway"-smoothy which was very good.

Pros: Nice atmosphere

Return to Ghent Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Greenway closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.