Greens Vegetarian Restaurant

Contact 416-603-3337

638 Dundas St W, Toronto, Ontario, Canada,

Vegetarian turned all-vegan in 2015. Makes Pan-Asian cuisine. Health conscious in its ingredient selection. Formerly Full Moon restaurant. Mon-Tue 11:00am-9:00pm, Thu 11:00am-9:00pm, Sun 11:00am-9:00pm, Fri-Sat 11:00am-9:30pm

Category: Vegan, Chinese, Take-out, Asian

First Review by jill_1011

Very good food, but not fully Vegan yet :( - Edit

I am very sad to hear that more menu options now have egg in them, though most items on the menu are vegan. Very good food and inexpensively priced. Very friendly staff and clean. Too bad not organic.

Pros: Very inexpensive, Very good food, Friendly Staff

Cons: Not fully Vegan, More menu options include eggs, No vegan deserts

Delicious Veggie Food and Friendly Service - Edit

Excellent selection of chinese vegetarian dishes including lots of veggies. Large portions and very friendly and efficient service. I have been back several times and my friends and I are never disappointed.

Pros: Nice atmosphere and friendly service, Great value for money and large portions, Emphasis on veggies in most dishes

Not what I hoped. - Edit

I was really looking forward to this place. I set my expectations too high. First, I asked the waitress what kind(s) of seaweed was in the seaweed roll e.g., arame, hijiki, nori, etc. She didn't know. Neither did the other lady. They brought out the frozen package to show me. They said that the chef said it was Japanese seaweed. It had frost on it, so it was hard to see anyway. I also asked what was in the mango rolls and the mango salad besides mango. They didn't know. They showed me a photo but couldn't tell me what the items were. I ordered the deep fried sweet potato. It turned out to be sweet potato fries, which I usually like. These were good - not great. They had something on them like sugar or glaze. However, they served it with plum sauce, which in my mind, doesn't work with sweet potato fries. So, I asked for some hot sauce. Unfortunately, their idea of hot and mine aren't the same. It wasn't hot at all, and the flavor wasn't very good either.

I then ordered the Curry Pad Thai. It was very bland. The hot sauce helped a little. The dish came with a lemon slice, which is inappropriate for that dish. It should be a slice of lime, which works much better. The dish came with pieces of tofu but no bean sprouts or carrot slivers. It wasn't bad. It just wasn't good.

Authentic Chinese Veggie Food - Edit

I was pretty pleased by Greens, as it gave me a fix of the authentic Chinese veggie cuisine that I remembered from my days living in Guangzhou. My girlfriend was a bit less impressed, finding it rather oily, but I don't think that was so much the fault of the restaurant as it was an issue of her own preferences. Particularly of note was the deep fried tofu we ordered, which is one of the strangest things I've seen in a Chinese restaurant (well, in terms of veggie food anyway, I have a few horror stories about meat dishes, but that's for a different website...) - it was literally just huge cubes of tofu, deep-fried to a crispy batter, like one might do with a piece of cod. Strange, but I found it quite enjoyable. Servings were massive, and very good value for the cheap price.

Reliably Delicious all-veg Chinese Food - yay! - Edit

For those veggies who miss things like deep fried chicken balls with that nuclear red sauce - rejoice! Greens has it all, and it is TASTY.

Best: pan fried turnip cake, green beans, lemon chicken

We no longer have to settle for stir fried vegetables with tofu; Greens has everything you've ever wanted, but ethically chose to avoid. I'm sure they have tons of healthy stuff, but I'm all about the deep fried dishes and noodles when it comes to Chinese food.

Pros: Tasty, authentic Chinese food, Inexpensive, Food comes quickly

Cons: No delivery, Ambiance could be better

Great Food, Spotty Service - Edit

I've been to this restaurant many times and love the food. Favourites are green beans with dried tofu, mango/chicken birds nest and braised efu noodles. The only thing I find is although the food comes fairly quickly once you place your order, it can take a long time to get served after you are seated.

Pros: Quality of the Food

Cons: Service

Great find - Edit

I was excited to find a vegetarian Chinese restaurant, as I like Chinese food but get tired of having to search for vegetarian dishes that aren't boring. This restaurant didn't disappoint. We had tofu and seaweed soup, which was really good and more than enough for two people (we ordered a medium). We also had green beans, which was simple but really tasty (the beans themselves were tasty), and eggplant. There was plenty of food and the atmosphere was quite nice. I would definitely go again if I have the chance.

Pros: Delicious, Pleasant atmosphere

Best Chinese Vegetarian in downtown Toronto - Edit

Greens is my new favourite vegetarian Chinese restaurant. They used to be Full Moon Vegetarian but they changed owners and renovated last year and it's been a huge improvement!

They serve a lot of 'traditional' chinese food dishes that you might get at meat-serving Chinese restaurants such as sweet 'n sour chicken balls. I never really ate meat so this has given me a chance to try these dishes.

The best dish on the menu is far and away the Lemon Chicken(order with a side of rice). The sweet lemon sauce is so good on the crispy fried batter. If you get a soup, expect it to be huge. A medium is only $3.99, which is crazy ridiculous cheap.

Pretty much everything is very affordable and the portions size are really good.

It's a great place for groups too. I once had 30 people here for a dinner and sharing dishes was great and very affordable. I shared with about 7 people sitting near me and we had each ordered a dish, plus a soup and the total came to $11 with tax and tip per person.

If you haven't tried Greens, give it a shot.

Pros: lemon chicken, soup's are huge, cheap

Cons: don't sit by the door in the winter

Awesome Restaurant - Edit

Greens Vegetarian Restaurant is located in the premises formerly occupied by Full Moon Restaurant. The space was extensively renovated, but the biggest change is the style of the cooking - it is far better and healthier in my opinion.

Being someone who despises overly greasy and salty vegetarian food, Greens is a dream come true. Unlike some Toronto vegetarian restaurants that I have tried, the portions here are very generous and the prices are very inexpensive.

Greens has quickly become my favourite and most visited vegetarian restaurant in town.

The Hot and Sour Soup is amazing. A small soup is easily enough for two persons. The Spicy Kung Bao Mock Chicken with Cashew Nuts is not to be missed! I must admit that I am becoming addicted to this place - it is that good.

Greens is Vegan-friendly, and the staff are also very friendly.

Pros: Tasty food with minimal salt/grease , Reasonably priced/large portions, Friendly staff

Full Moon 2.0 - Edit

I found out through HappyCow that the small, inexpensive Asian restaurant with the great mock meats had closed. Then I find out it has re-opened under a different name with a revamped menu.

It's more pleasant, healthier, and, dare I say, tastier. Plus it remains very inexpensive. I'm glad to see that really good vegetarian food continues to be served at this address.

Pros: Great mock meats, No salt used, location

Great place - Edit

Formally Full Moon, they closed, renovated the place and revamped the menu. Very nice atmosphere, very very friendly staff. Great food at moderate prices. The faux lemon chicken is a must. Vegan friendly.

Pros: not expensive, great atmosphere, friendly staff

A nice treat - Edit

Just off the path of the main chinatown in toronto, there is a hub of veggie chinese restos. Greens is the newest member, taking over a preexisting veggie space, renovating it and creating a new vegan menu.

My dining partner and i had 3 dishes:

veggie fried rice, fried veggie noodles and sweet and sour "chicken"

Im pretty sure this place is buddhist and can pick a fight with your taste buds if you are used to salt and garlic in your chinese food. I am one of those people, but i will say i ate my food and was satisfied.

The best part? the Chicken. It isnt often you can savour a chinese dish like this while dining out. The tvp nuggest were marinated and tender, coated with a flour batter, fried and then covered in that familiar red sauce. Pineapples, red and green peppers complemented the colour of the dish, but would not be missed if they excluded them. the star was the chicken hands down.

I prefer the fried rice and fried noodles found in regular chinese restaurants, for flavour reasons. But one should note that the menu is extensive, there are so many options to choose from; wonton soup, duck etc.

I will for sure be back again to fix my craving.

Pros: friendly staff, clean/renovated , large menu

Cons: no salt/garlic

Return to Toronto Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Greens Vegetarian Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4952 times since Oct 2010.