Greens

43 Lapwing Lane, West Didsbury, Manchester, England, M20 2NT

Mostly ovo-lacto vegetarian cuisine - vegans need to ask. Crowded space. Reservations recommended. Open Tue-Fri 12:00pm-2:30pm, Tue-Fri 5:30pm-10:30pm, Sun 12:30pm-9:30pm.

Category: Lacto, Ovo, Beer/Wine, British

First Review by jonnie

Good! - Edit

Although mostly veggie, they had a fair amount of vegan options available for the main meals which was nice to see. and all the tasters could be made vegan by asking. Unfortunately, as it was busy, it took a while for our food to be served and some of the service could have been interpreted as slightly rude due to things being done in haste. They only had one vegan dessert, but I am grateful that there was at least one on the menu. I would certainly come here again.

absolutely delicious!!! - Edit

I was luckily recommended this place by a friend as if I had read the reviews here I would not have gone and would have missed out on a fabulous meal with great service. I went with two carnivorous chefs who were both making appreciative noises throughout our meal. The tasters can be made vegan and we had the most amazing vegan black pudding ( I want to recreate this at home and eat it often) the ingredients used in our meals were gorgeous and treated with love. Portions were were generous and the price reflected the quality of the ingredients. I have only singled out the black pudding at this has to be tried. We had tasters starters and main courses which i will not describe in detail as I'm confident that any dish chosen will be good. It was a Monday and luckily we made a reservation as the place was heaving!

How could j forget to mention the delicious champagne cocktails on offer! I will be impressing my friends with these over Christmas!
There are very few veg/vegan restaurants that I will revisit as I like trying new places but I will definitely come back here next time I'm in Manchester.

Pros: everything

Should be 1 star - Edit

Very poor for vegans - more so than many omnivorous restaurants. Portions small, not very well executed and very over-priced. Staff are not attentive and restaurant can get very busy (why?!).

Saw celebrity chef owner (Simon Rimmer) once boast on television that the meat he was cooking would turn any vegetarian. Appears to be in it for the money, not the ethics.

Cons: Few vegan options, Expensive for standard of food, Crowded

Really good vegetarian restaurant - Edit

I've been to Green's a few times before but not recently since other options have opened. I was really pleased to see that finally the vegan options are listed on the main menu (for savoury only!) - it is so nice not to have to ask what the vegan choices are and just order from the menu. There are 2 or 3 choices in the starters and mains, and good to see that all the tasters can be vegan on request.
Unfortunately, not a single dessert on the menu was vegan, and when I asked was told it was the carrot, apple etc cake with ice cream which is the same single vegan dessert which has been offered every single time I have been to Greens. I tried it once (never again) and it was very soggy and claggy and the ice cream was the commonly available supermarket brand. I can only think that this dessert is not listed on the menu because the restaurant itself is aware that it is not up to the rest of their offerings.
So, I think Greens is great if you are going with vegetarians and omnivores, the vegan savouries are very good (and so happy they are listed as such on the menu now), but it would be nice if there was a nice vegan dessert option (and it was listed on the menu).

Pros: Very tasty savoury vegan food listed on main menu, Good atmosphere

Cons: Vegan dessert not good, Very pricey

Disappointing - Edit

I have visited Greens on two occasions (different day & time) and been disappointed on both. The amount you pay for the quality and quantity is not worth it. The food is generic and there are no vegan desserts. It was very noisy despite being a small venue.

I will say that the staff are attentive and service was good even on a saturday night.

Pros: Price, No vegan dessert

Cons: Very good service

a non hippie vegi restaurant! - Edit

Upmarket vegi restaurant that isn't hippie for once. Therefore brings in the clientele of those who might not have considered vegetarian previously. A range of vegi meals, some which I really want to try for myself. Great atmosphere and not bad prices

Pros: location, menu, great drinks list

Ignore the bad reviews - Edit

We almost didn't go to Greens after reading some terrible reviews about the quality of food, the service and the portion sizes. We're both very fussy when it comes to our food. I'm so happy we went! All the things we were concerned about were not experienced during our visit. My husband is vegetarian and I'm vegan. The staff let me know which were the vegan options and I had the "duck" pancakes (which were beyond delicious), the gnochhi (incredible) and a chocolate, coconut and raspberry brownie for dessert which is hands down the best vegan brownie I have ever had (and I've had many). Price wise, we had 3 courses each and a bottle of wine, the bill came to £70. For a quality meal in a pleasant atmosphere with attentive staff, I think it was fantastic value. We were so happy with everything, highly recommend it :)

Pros: Quality vegetarian and vegan options, Attentive staff, The best "duck" pancakes ever

A must in Manchester - Edit

Have eaten here many times over the last 5 years, it is something we do each time we are in Manchester. In fact it is a reason to go to Manchester.

My partner is vegan and has to ask what is vegan and there is always a couple things that are. Staff are always friendly, helpful and knowledgeable.

Love the vibe of the place including the decor. Not a cheap eat but for what you get I always think it is fantastic value. The only place I have ever eaten better food is Cafe Paradiso in Cork.

Small portion sizes - Edit

I've eaten at Green's a few times now, and always found it okay, but having more recently discovered 1847 I've realised they need to massively up their game. Menu is uninspired and portion sizes are way too small, I'm always hungry soon after. I agree that it shows that this is not a veggie-run restaurant and it's not particularly aimed at vegans. The staff do seem knowledgable about the menu and which options are vegan but they are not very friendly and service can be slow.

Consistently excellent - Edit

I eat at Greens 2-3 times per month, with friends, colleagues and my husband. I love Greens so much, I will find any excuse to go. The food is consistently excellent and great value for this standard of restaurant. There are some excellent special deals (e.g beer and a burger for £10) and they also have a loyalty scheme so you can earn money off on your next meal. My favourite restaurant in the world. It can get busy in the evenings and at weekends so make sure to book if you can.

Pros: Consistently excellent food, Gourmet dining , Great value specials

Amazing meal - Edit

I ate here with a friend who is vegetarian & I'm vegan, we found the staff helpful & friendly and we had a fabulous meal. I had 3 vegan courses and all were amazing, a little bit pricier than some might like but for me it was awesome to eat at a nicer/smarter restaurant for a change, where I was well catered for! Highly recommend, I will go back for sure.

Pros: Food, Service, Nice surroundings

Cons: Slighly more pricey

Beautiful food for vegetarians - Edit

Some lovely vegetarian ideas and both times I've been the food and service have been excellent. It is a little expensive, more of a special occasion place than everyday. The lunchtime soup, sandwich and chips option is good value though at £9. A few vegan options although you have to ask which they are which seems very odd. The vegan black pudding is highly recommended though.

Really great - Edit

Great meal choices for vegetarians, friendly efficient service and busy. Extensive wine menu. Not cheap but worth it!

Pros: veggie, friendly service

Cons: parking not easy!

Great for vegetarians, ok for vegans - Edit

I used to love Greens when I was vegetarian: it's 100% meat-free and has some really delicious options on the menu, from traditional British food like bangers and mash to more exotic combinations. However, since becoming vegan I've found it less impressive. Vegan options aren't marked on the menu, and the staff always need to go to check which ones are vegan friendly. There are usually two options for starters and mains, but it would be nice to have this clear on the menu from the start. The mushroom pancakes have been on the menu for years and they are vegan, so there's always a good back up if nothing else turns up! However, the desserts are a real disappointment. None of the ones on the main menu are vegan, and if you ask they usually just provide a fairly uninspiring crumble. They're doing such a good job for vegetarians, I just wish they'd put a bit of effort in for vegans too!

Cons: Few vegan options

Good vegetarian food - Edit

Greens it totally vegetarian which is great for vegetarians. The crispy mushroom pancakes with plum sauce are very nice. There were quite a lot of vegan main courses and starters but none of the desserts were vegan unfortunately. However, when I asked the waitress she was helpful and said they had a vegan vanilla ice cream so I had this and it was really nice. It would be helpful to have the vegan options on the menu labelled if possible (I know it's a veggie restaurant but it would be really nice of them to do this). We didn't think the menu was overpriced - it's not the cheapest but not ridiculous either. They also had some nice non alcoholic cocktails. The restaurant is somewhat cramped with tables but this didn't bother us too much. The restaurant is ideally located for going out for drinks etc in West Didsbury after your meal.

Pros: Completely vegetarian, Vegan starters and main courses, Good location

Cons: No vegan desserts unless you ask, Vegan options not labelled on menu, Slightly cramped

buy 2 mains!! - Edit

The day people realise good food has to be eaten at large portions, at least one person will be happy and that's me! So my input might be slightly biased but never the less this place is bit pricey! There is a odd hit on the menu but can be tried once. The location is excellent and I guess that influence the price. If only they had more choices I could buy the attraction.

At the end of the day, will you be happy eating at this place? I think most of them will be! So recommendable .... just do not go hungry!

Pros: Location, Ambience , Tasty

Cons: Pricey!, Small portions

Review of Greens - Edit

I went especially to Didsbury for 'Greens'. Staff were neither friendly/un-friendly. Menu was expensive and limited amount of vegan foods. Food was nice, but disappointing regarding the vegan options. Wouldn't go there again.

Pros: Atmosphere

Cons: Lack of Vegan food, Money, Travel links

Tasty, exciting veggie (and vegan) food in style! - Edit

I LOVE Greens! My partner and I go there every Valentine's Day, as well as most birthdays. The food is reasonably priced (comparable to other quality restaurants in the area) and there is loads of choice. The menu is clear about vegan options and I like to try something new each time. One of my favourite dishes is the aubergine thai red curry - yum! A must for a treat night out.

Pros: Excellent variety, Really tasty food, Stylish interior

Return to Manchester Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Greens closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.