CLOSED: Greens and Gourmet

• Vegetarian

Contact 737-7373

2582 W Broadway, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, V6K 2G2

Established since 1987, Greens and Gourmet offers a self-serve vegan and vegetarian buffet spread that includes a wide range of hot and cold food, with each dish clearly labeled. Pay for food by weight. Serene, cafeteria style set-up on the 2nd floor. Reported closed to HappyCow.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Macrobiotic, Organic, Western, Buffet

First Review by Greens

Just ok - Edit

Have been there a handful of times, but frankly the food is not that amazing. The decor is a bit old and tired, the food is self-serve and you know what you're getting in advance and can make your own portions. It is charged by weight and it gets expensive very fast. The ingredients are usually written under the dish name, which is convenient and they have a fair number of vegan options. But the food is usually lukewarm, so at that price, it's not really worth it.

Pros: lots of choice

Cons: expensive , not hot enough

Vegetarian Wonderland - Edit

When you first see the outside of the restaurant, you are fearful and unsure what to expect. Totally the opposite! The place is clean, DELISH (I seriously had a hard time picking out what to take- so i tried it all). I love the interior too- It's a place you can hang out in for hours with a book and a jug of tea. Don't miss out!

Watch out though, it gets expensive really fast

Pros: The food, The service

Cons: Quite Pricey, Some deserts are not that great

Great place to eat peacefully and relax - Edit

Food is fresh, tasty and delicious, from baked Samosas to Miso Tofu and Musaka, mmm!! Hot buffet is HOT! Green salads are COLD!
Ambiance is spacy, quiet and peaceful with great variety of well selected music.
Prices are very reasonables. Students and Seniors special discounts. Also, 20% discounts on weekends.
Free parking and much more.
I love this place!

Pros: Excellent food, Natural, Healthy cuisine

Cons: friendly staff, good value

Vegetarian Restaurant in Kitsilano - Edit

I find that the hot buffet is usually a bit cold. I've had tofu and dahl and baked potatoes. Unless you go at lunch hour, it isn't as hot. Many items do not have a list of ingredients and the staff don't always know if they have dairy or wheat, which I find frustrating. More vegan options please.

Pros: Nice ambience, Comfortable chairs, Free parking

Good food... - Edit

We arrived at this restaurant at around 8:30pm and this might be the reason for our criticism. Overall good food selections however we found the food was under heated. Price was a bit high given the quality and the temperature of the food. If you are going to go, we would suggest you go earlier in the day.

Great place - Edit

Went first time November 19 2010. It was a great surprise. The best vegan/vegetarian place I have been at so far.
Great food, though more expensive, very nice seating area and I like the pick on your own.
Tried 5 different dishes and all were super tasty.
I will certainly come back, though I live downtown.

Pros: Taste, Number of dishes to choose from, Varity, from all over the world

Cons: Price

Wonderful!!! - Edit

The new cook has even improved the quality and freshness of salads, hot dishes and desserts. You can eat with closed eyes. Everything is delicious and healthy in a very peaceful ambiance, which was also improved by the amiable attention of new front staffs. Mmmm,

Pros: Healthy Cuisine, Very delicious, good value

Cons: No wine, Closes early, No live music

Choices, Choices - Edit

It's all true. You do have to watch your plate to not spend too much, but the food is worth it - creative and lovingly prepared. Yes, dairy in many items, but there are other choices. Killer desserts. Pleasant, peaceful atmosphere. Helpful, patient staff. A gem.

I Love This Place! - Edit

Sadly I've never lived in this neighborhood (Kits) but I always go to G&G if I'm nearby. Been going to this low-key buffet restaurant for years, and it was my first introduction to the idea that vegan food could actually taste good! All the dishes have ingredients listed and there are wheat-free options as well as vegetarian and vegan. I don't find it expensive at all compared to other restaurants (and it's self-serve) but be aware of the weight of what you put on your plate. It's not the place to go if you want huge portions, but you can purchase some items like samosas or a bowl of rice separately for a set price anyway. I agree the tofu in sweet miso sauce is absolutely delicious. This place is "comfort food" for vegetarians. Love it. Only the desserts are "meh."

Pros: laid back, child friendly, great food

Cons: blah desserts, pricey for heavy dishes

Lot of variety...but be prepared for price shock!! - Edit

I went here twice only. Just found that it was quite the shock when my meal and my spouse's were weighed.
Lots of $$, not such a big portion.
If you live near here, it is probably ok for you as you'll figure out by trial and error.

Pros: Lot of variety, Excellent desserts

Cons: Expensive

All Aboard the Veg Train - Edit

I visit the Vancouver area several times throughout the year and I am never dissappointed with the veggie/vegan restaurants, and this one is no exception.

The ambiance was very nice and relaxing. I visited G & G around 5pm on a Tuesday so there were not a lot of people and I was pleasantly surprised at how many dishes did not have dairy in them. I tried a little bit of just about everything in the hot food section (very little lol) and everything was delicious and fresh. The chef came out several times to check the food which I appreciated. I also liked how they labeled the food, I didn't have to keep asking "what has milk in it".

I will definitely visit G & G again and I would suggest you do too :-)

By the way, what's up with all the warm water at all of these veggie places lol.

Pros: Location, Spacious, Fresh food

Cons: Paying by the pound

needs more nondairy! - Edit

this place was nice, but i had a hard time chosing what to eat as all the best looking dishes contained dairy. i ended up with some salad, roasted potatos, and some fruit. not particularly exciting. i've gotta give them props for the nondairy chocolate cream pie though. i wanted to take a whole one home with me!

oh, and as will all pay-by-weight buffets, watch how much you put on your plate. it can get a little expensive.

Pros: vegan chocolate cream pie

Cons: too much cheese

great experience - Edit

great food, nice variety, friendly helpful staff ,peaceful atmosphere, Miso Tofu was my fav as well as chocolate cream pie....good vegan selection

highly recommended !

Pros: friendly staff, great food selection, nice atmosphere

Great for kids! - Edit

Although I say this is a great place for children, this place is very quiet and calm.
Greens and Gourmet is my kids' favorite restaurant in Vancouver. My husband never feels like going (he prefers Foundation and the Naam) so I always go when he's not with us. My children (4 and 6) eat so much healthy food when we go and I like the fact that you don't have to wait (it's a buffet style kinda restaurant.) We really like the somosas, tofu in sweet sauce and the salad bar. I have to say the desserts are not my favorite (taste too healthy for me) but I have yet to find very good vegan sweets in Vancouver.

Pros: no wait, very peaceful

Managers remarks - Edit

Greens and Gourmet has been serving non violent food for 20 years. We have extensive self serve cold and hot buffets for you to design your own meal, paying by weight. If you are a raw foods person, vegan or vegetarian, you'll be impressed with the choices offered. Personally, I enjoy making my fantasy salad and sampling new dishes like eggplant with green thai curry, or the "mock" meat and chicken dishes.We are not perfect, but we do the best we can. I think all vegetarian restaurants should be commended for their peaceful principles and respect given to all of Gods creatures.

Pros: peaceful atmosphere, friendly staff, fantastic choices of food

Cons: no fixed price menu, no breakfasts

Return to Vancouver Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Greens and Gourmet closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 592 times since Aug 2007.