GreenFare

Contact 703-689-0506

408 Elden St, Herndon, Virginia, USA, 20170

Opened Nov 2015. Vegan restaurant using local and seasonal ingredients to make gluten free, oil free, low sodium dishes. Open Mon-Sun 11:00am-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Organic, Catering

First Review by Shereewolfe

Creamy Broccoli Pesto Pasta - Edit

The broccoli pesto pasta was really great. Loved the creaminess of the sauce and the big chunks of broccoli. The tomatoes, basil and pine nuts were excellent compliments.

Pros: Extremely healthy, filling, Great mission, passion, Friendly staff

Cons: A little pricey for lunch, but reasonable

Fabulous whole food plant based meals - Edit

Had my first meal at GreenFare last night and it was amazing! Started with the sweet potato wedges with chipotle sauce and they were spicy and quite delicious. My entree was the broccoli pesto pasta and my daughter had the black bean stack with an accompanying salad. Both entrees were incredibly tasty, well-seasoned, filling, and delectable! The restaurant itself is lovely, with displays of Forks Over Knives and Engine 2 books and other resources available for purchase. Staff were extremely friendly and provided excellent service! I highly recommend this restaurant.

Hold The Sugar, Oil And Salt , Yet Amazing Flavor! - Edit

I love everything about this restaurant. The owner, the decor and the food.

I ordered the paella, with mushrooms and vegetables, and it was just delicious.

Most of us are addicted to salt, oil and sugar, but this restaurant has done the work for you by providing fresh, tasty, local, organic, salt/oil/sugar free food without compromising flavor.

I highly recommend this restaurant!

Pros: organic vegan food, Salt/oil/sugar free, Delightful owner

Elegant - Edit

Small, elegant restaurant with amazing options. I decided to try a new-to-me spot while in the area for work and was pleasantly surprised. I had the lasagna, which is packed full of veggies. It was delicious! The only thing I would've changed would be the addition of salt (but that's only because I'm slightly addicted). Very nice atmosphere and friendly staff.

Pros: tasty food, no oil, no salt, friendly staff

Cons: moderately priced items

Delightful Plant based Restaurant - Edit

While visiting Northern Virginia, we found this lovely restaurant for several meals. It is sometimes very difficult finding no oil vegan healthy food in a restaurant. This place is a gem and provides numerous delicious choices and a pleasant clean modern environment to enjoy not only the food but also looking thru the plant based huge selection of informational books and cookbooks. Just when I figured this place as being a home run, then I find refrigerated to go meals! They hit the ball out of the park. If you want a very special treat, order the hot lava cake! WOW! Such a wonderful concept, they are delightful!

Amazing Organic Plant Based Food! - Edit

I wish I lived in VA so I could come here once a week it was so delicious! I had the Thai quinoa bowl, it was so good I wanted to get one to go. We also inhaled the carrot cake, it was that good. They let us taste all of the different kombucha, the lime basil was our favorite my mom got a growler of it. We also loved the book selection, we bought How Not to Die which I can't wait to read. My mom said she was going to go to the events during the week too. Can't wait to come back for more!!!

Pros: organic, vegan, kombucha on draft

So Much More Than a Restaurant! - Edit

My husband and I had been planning to visit Green Fare ever since it opened and were excited to finally make the trek to Herndon! We arrived around noon on a Thursday and while the handful of outdoor tables were already taken, we had no problem finding a table inside among a handful of other patrons of varying ages. Green Fare calls itself “an innovative café and learning center” which is totally spot-on! There were lots and lots of books to peruse – and purchase – about eating a plant-based diet. On top of that, there are numerous special events on the calendar featuring leaders in the world of plant-based eating and their 21-Day Kick Start program to immerse people in a plant-based lifestyle.

All the staff were pleasant and polite and the chef himself delivered our entrees. The food was delicious and I plan to come back again and again to try more items on their menu. I had the Spinach and Sweet Potato Lasagna which had a cheese-like filling that tasted like dairy cheese, so it was a true delight to eat! My husband ordered the Thai Kale & Quinoa Bowl and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was topped with sauerkraut, something he would not expect in a Thai dish, but it worked really well. I tried the Maca Chocolate Mousse for dessert. It was fine, but I wish it would have had more of a chocolate flavor. My husband ordered the Red Bean Lava Cake (which takes 20 minutes to prepare). I had a taste of that and enjoyed it more.

We made a video about our experience: https://youtu.be/h0Ml5i5NuDY

Pros: creative menu, pleasant staff

Cons: On the main drag, but a haul for me, Not much outdoor seating

Excellent find, commendable premise - Edit

Gwen and team do an outstanding job of providing a warm, welcoming atmosphere along with a delicious menu. Enjoyed the vegan organic gluten-free spinach alfredo. Will be back with friends!

Pros:

Cons:

Delicious Dinner! - Edit

Had a long-anticipated visit to GreenFare for dinner and it was such a nice experience. The menu of substantial-sounding entrees made it very difficult to choose and I ended up with the sweet potato and spinach lasagna recommended by our server with a side salad. The meal was beautiful to look at, flavorful, and so filling. I felt good knowing that it was also healthful -- all plants and no added oil. Can't wait to go back and try everything else on the menu!

Pros: delicious, healthful food, plenty of parking, bright, welcoming dining room

Bland food - Edit

We drove 45 minutes to eat there and what a disappointment.The waitress was eating in between talking care of people without washing her hands.The food was extremely bland with no spices.Not much to choose from the menu and it was to pricey for what you get.The salad came with no choice of dressing.It was terrible and by no means will we be returning.

Sunday drive - Edit

Ordered a meal while Sunday brunch was wrapping up and took over and hour to be served. Only 2 other tables there and each waited just as long. Luckily I had great company that helped pass the time. Food was good when it finally arrived. Will try again.

Great Veggie Fare in NoVa - Edit

Hard pressed to find decent vegetarian / vegan restaurants of quality. GreenFare is great. Have been numerous times; have tried (with family) all menu items.

They also have a kiosk for takeout in their restaurant and the Reston Metro.

Really good meal selections; desserts are nice.

Food is organic, fresh, very well presented.

They are working on adding additional beverage selections. Probably could do better business with biodynamic wines or something.

Great selection of books and classes for health.

Pros: Vegetarian, Great location, Healthy

Cons: Beverage selection could be improved, Ordering a bit odd; but works

New favorite place! - Edit

Unbelievable! Went here with my friend this afternoon & had the creamy chickpea & kale bowl. It was like having a home cooked meal! I think my favorite part was how you could really taste the vegetables! So fresh! Not covered in salt like most restaurants! Owners were so nice & very passionate about eating wholesome foods. Love!

Great new restaurant :) - Edit

Let's start with a few facts...The food is just incredible -- 5 out of 5!! The staff is super friendly. The prices are in line with the concept of fresh, locally-sourced ingredients. I agree with other comments about it being a little confusing the first time you visit -- but once you know that you sit yourself and order at the counter, the experience is great. If you are used to eating salty foods, beware -- the food is purposely (and smartly) not salted, but the other flavors make up for the lack of salt. My wife still added some salt to hers. The owner (Gwyn) and the decor made us feel like we were visiting a nice and warm family farm restaurant. We live a little over an hour away, and have been there twice already! We have had the sweet potato and spinach lasagna (5/5), the chili bowl (4/5), the chick peas and kale (5/5), and the potato appetizer (5/5) and soup (5/5). In short, we will be back many times! :)

Pros: Delicious food, Friendly staff, Cozy environment

Cons: Order at counter

Still uses knives despite being 100% plant based - Edit

Wonderful tasting food. Great community resource. Minor observations: 1. Give a choice about siracha. 2. Knives can still be used on plants

Pros: great tasting uber healthy food

Cons: siracha, no knives

Green Fare Salon Cafe Unique in VA and SUPERB!! - Edit

I have eaten at 2 pre-opening functions of this well-located, extraordinarily thought-out, more-than-great-100%-Certified-Organic (1st in VA, 2nd in Greater DC)100% Vegan local low sodium no oils food restaurant! Owner Gwyn Whittaker has a mission to educate, with author speakers and cooking tips frequently, a la a "Politics & Prose" DC bookstore model.
The range of dishes draws from many of the world's cuisines! Please treat yourself to a unique experience!
Its 1/3 mile west of the Fairfax County Pkwy in the K-Mart Shopping Center, 3 doors down from the Mom's Organic Market, and the decor is beautiful!

Pros: CERTIFIED ORGANIC, 1ST IN VIRGINIA, OWNER AND STAFF ARE WONDERFUL HUMANS!, RANGE OF DISHES

Cons: PRICES, NEW CHALLENGING CONCEPT , CHALLENGES OF GETTING LOCAL ORGANIC

The restaurant I didn't know I was waiting for - Edit

I've been vegan for two years, vegetarian for a little over three, and my fiancee has been vegan for 14 years. I cook all the time and we both frequent as many vegan restaurants as possible. After attending the soft opening of Greenfare, however, I'm still in disbelief that such a resource of information serving delicious food is nearby. I enjoyed two items -- a Chipotle Rice Bowl and Greenfare Salad. The Chipotle Rice Bowl was flavorful, light, delicious and satisfying. The flavors of the vegetables were allowed to really shine, and the creamy avocado on top was the ultimate accompaniment, delightfully merrying the vegetables, black beans and fluffy brown rice. The housemade vinagrette atop the crisp mixed greens salad was naturally sweet with a mustard-y finish. The food was delicious and Gwyn is very sweet (makes you feel like you're in her home) and knowledgable. I look forward the most to participating in the Kickstarts and learning as much as possible from the wonderful staff at Greenfare. Make sure you make them a frequent stop. Your tummy (and the rest of your body!) will thank you.

Pros: delicious food, knowledgeable staff, welcoming environment

A delightful dinner - Edit

This small restaurant is in the perfect location, near Mom's grocery in Herndon. The food is unique and refreshing for a vegan who cooks simple food at home. A special menu of six or seven well prepared and delicious entrees made it difficult to choose. I had the Sweet Potato Lasagna and found that the owner will freely share recipes, so I made a batch myself this week. The salad was also tasty with fresh greens and watermelon radish slices, and a light orange flavored dressing. I will certainly go back to try each of the entrees. There is also a nice selection of books and magazines on display for those who want to learn more about this style of cooking. Other offerings will be catering, carry-out, and cooking classes.

Pros: Casual and warm atmosphere, Unique menu, Friendly staff

Delightful Dining - Edit

GreenFare is a refreshing, new option for people in our area. The food was delicious and a healthful choice. The presentation was very nice. The hostesses and wait staff were fantastic. It was also a very welcome change to enjoy conversation instead of yelling over someone else's music. I highly recommend GreenFare.

Pros: Healthy, delicious food, Elegant atmosphere, Conversion-friendly lack of music

Cons: Cloth napkins would be more elegant

Fabulous! - Edit

We so enjoyed our visit to GreenFare on its opening day. Our dishes were spectacular. Perfect blend of fresh vegetables, spices and quinoa. Service and the ambiance were perfect! We will be back!

Pros: Tasty, Nutritious , Ambiance

Cons: NONE!!

Great Food - New Concept - Edit

GreenFare is a health and sustainability values based cafe. The meals are all organic, whole plant food based, no salt added, and not cooked in oil. The food is well prepared and tastes great; we had the Lasagna, Veggie bowl, and salads at the soft opening. Good food for you and the planet!

Pros: Healthy, Sustainable, Well prepared

Happy and Healthy Herndon - Edit

If you are in the mood for delicious, healthy but also fulfilling then turn to GreenFare Herndon's First Organic Restaurant. I would recommend trying the Organic Spinach and Sweet Potato Lasagna as the main course. You will enjoy the light marinara that pops with flavor in your mouth giving, a lasting taste that will make you want more and not make your stomach too full to eat eat more!

Pros: Organic Food, Oil Free, Health Benefits

Finally... - Edit

... a fully organic, whole plant based menu where I find the WHOLE menu appealing, healthy and reasonably priced. Add to that a cozy atmosphere that will become a place to meet and learn. I am psyched to be a regular at this new restaurant/salon. What a nice change to have a full menu to choose from instead of a few token vegetarian or vegan options....

Pros: excellent healthy food, positive values ownership

Fantastic plant based foods! - Edit

As a long term vegan, this restaurant is exactly what I need to kick my health into a higher level. I admit I eat too much processed food (vegan junk food) so GreenFare will be a haven of delicious, healthy food!

Pros: organic, local HEALTHY food, great atmosphere, more of a community than just a restaurant.

Return to Herndon Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has GreenFare closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4609 times since Oct 2015.