Green Day

Contact 586603301

Mikolajska 14, Krakow, Poland, 31-027

At Rynek Glowny Market Square, east of St. Mary's Church in old town. In 2013 it took over the Green Way Classic Mikolajska that was here. Similar menu and concept.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Organic, Western, Buffet, Fast food, Salad bar, Juice bar, Take-out

First Review by nclarken

Not that good for vegans - Edit

If your in search for a vegan meal, this is not the place. The 3 vegan options my boyfriend and I shared were sort of bland. The bread was stale. Service wasn't all that great. This is a franchise , and the vibe definitely reminds you of that. Decent coffee though.

stumbled across it by accident - Edit

I accidentally found this place and loved it. No wifi and very studenty. Nice and cool on a hot summers day - lots of vegan choices, daily menu, very cheap and friendly, English speaking staff. Not a fancy place but great value for money!

Ok food - Edit

This place is good when you're too hungover to be bothered to walk any further, I went twice on my 4 day visit in Kraków. Food was average both times but the second time I went the staff were very Rude.

If I were you, I'd avoid this place and walk or get s taxi further out of the city centre & visit some of the 5 star restaurants on this app

Pros: very close to city centre

Cons: staff, no toilet

The food was tasty but no vegan desserts available - Edit

My mum and I went on a Saturday morning at about 10.30am, it was completely empty but the woman behind the counter was nice and it was bright and clean. The breakfast menu was a bit disappointing, basically only hard boiled eggs or hummus with salad and bread. We didn't fancy either so opted for the vegan enchiladas (I've uploaded a photo) and my mum had the spinach and cheese pancake. I also had a soya coffee but was told they didn't have the vegan apple pie and no other vegan desserts - bit disappointing. I have to say that the meals were delicious and I would highly recommend if that's what you fancy, great portions and not too expensive - about £5 each for a main and drink.

Cons: No vegan apple pie as advertised.

tin food, no toilet - Edit

The only good things I can say in regards to the restaurant is that they have a full English menu and tasty vegan apple pie. The other dishes we ordered - soy steaks and bean steaks - were cold and hard to chew. The tomato sauce was disturbingly sweet, the mushroom sauce reminded me of a bland ready-made packet sauce, the salads were okay but could have come from a large tin too.

Resume: Disappointing.

Extra minus: no toilet.
Updated from previous review on Sunday August 23, 2015

Pros: tasty vegan apple pie

Cons: no toilet, food not fresh & not tasty

easy take away - Edit

Just like other Green Day restaurants, this place has some vegan options. English menu available. Staff spoke English. Take away orders are really fast. Vegan apple cake (when available) is really nice.

Pros: Fast

Cons: Could have more vegan options

Bad tummy experience! - Edit

Visited Green Day at the weekend, Stewart had soya steaks which were heavy so he left one of them but did enjoy the salad. I opted for the vegan enchiladas which tasted nice albeit cold....unfortunately we then had to go straight back to the hotel as I had a stomach cramp! Fortunately the hotel wasn't too far away as the cramp developed into a bad stomach....we will not be going again.

Cons: Food Cold, Not all menu items available, Bad stomach experience

It is still in full swing - Edit

Just close to the Great market Rynek Glówny , go east, passing the quiet Meat Market Maly Rynek.Green Day is stillin ful swing, havinga choice of snacks, sof drinks and main courses. But alas, noo beer, now wine. Such is life in some veggie places. But no problem, have your beear first in one of the places on Maly Rynek.

Pros: pure veggie, good choice

Cons: no beers nor wines, very simple restaurant

Hearty meals, mouthwatering vegetarian food! - Edit

My favourite meal here: Green Day Extra Mix which is a combination of 6 dishes and salads: soya cutlets in a mushroom sauce served with rice and buckwheat, bean and pepper goulash, mouthwatering Hindu kofta in creamy tomato sauce, cauliflower & green beans pakora and more plus coleslaw, beets and carrot salad (photo attached). They also offer freshly squeezed juices and various other dishes and desserts. Vegan dishes available.

Pros: a wide range of food and drink , generous portions, easy to find

We were glad to find this nice restaurant - Edit

A nice vegetarian/ vegan self service. In the heart of Krakow, near Small Market Square. Well worth the money spent. Inexpensive. In extensive use by locals. Wonderful soups and nice second dishes. The stuff is helpful and efficient. We did return, since it has lovely atmosphere and we enjoyed their food. I would not recommend their coffee. Indian food with Polish inclination
Updated from previous review on Saturday December 07, 2013

Pros: Location, Tasty food, Vegan/ Vegetarian

Cons: coffee, Indian / Polish

Makes your day greener... - Edit

Nice place to have some good veggie lunch. The interior is not spectacular but cozy.

We tried the Enchilada and some fried potato cutlets with mushroom sauce. Both were absolutely okay and reasonable concerning the price.

Also the juice bar looked quite good but we didn't tried it. Maybe next time!

In general a nice place to stay. Personally I would suggest it to a vegetarian who stays in Krakow and looks for something nice and simple to eat.

Pros: good food, nice atmosphere, reasonable prices

Cons: staff could be more friendly

It's Green Day now - and basically that's it... - Edit

I have been here 4 or 5 times during the last year. Except for the recent name change (they supposedly decided to part ways with the "Green Way" restaurant chain - but you can still find the "Green Way mixed plate" on the menu ;) no sign of innovation here. The modernized "Green Way" franchise you'll now find on Krupnicza street

The place is very typical of polish self-service, pay-upfront, return-your-plates "restaurants" - not that I were troubled by any of these, just informing. Vegan options are limited to four or so, veganization doesn't mean substituting animal-derived products, but simply omitting these. Food quality is average at best and the usual, uninspired enchilada-samosa-polish staple food eclecticism. Nothing is made fresh, all re-hash. Don't think of this place as healthy or eco-friendly, the name is all that's "green" here.

If you have alternatives - choose them.

Pros: Close to the Main Square, re-hashed food (fast)

Cons: Not very vegan-friendly, re-hashed food (poor taste), bland, boring, don't bother

Good situation - Edit

in the historic centre in the oldtown near/behind the kathedral. similar to other Greenway restaurants in poland, the same principle with self-service and canteen-like atmosphere. a cheap and pleasant restaurant with an English menu, but no so cosy. to relax you have to eat here and than leave to look for an other location. the menu is extensive, very reasonably priced and the staff speak English. for the big hunger!

Pros: Location , friendly staff, good value

Quick and easy veggie food near the main square - Edit

This café seems now to be called Green Day. Don't know if it has changed owners. Self-service was very quick, and food was tasty - we chose pakoras and cabbage patties. Prices fairly cheap, but salads were extra and staff were not particularly helpful. Were disappointed that we couldn't get a beer with our meal. Good location, though as it is just off the main square. Worth using for a quick veggie meal.

Pros: quick , central location

Cons: only soft drinks or coffe/tea

Quite average veggie restaurant in Krakow - Edit

Ate here this summer as had been to a branch in Gdansk earlier in the year. Was quite disappointed, my cabbage rolls were ok, but my partners Greek salad was quite tasteless and I don't think we would eat here again.

Would Not Recommend - Edit

I only ate here once during my stay in Krakow and I actually left food on my plate (even though I hadn't eaten in a good long while) because the salad didn't taste very fresh and I couldn't force myself to eat any more of it. I also left very hungry even though I ate the majority of what was on my plate.

Cons: not very filling, salad was too gross to eat

Tell Before if Vegan, but Good - Edit

I really liked my dish, my boyfriends, and especially their vegan apple cake. The service was quick but put cheese on my enchilada when the menu didnt say it had any so I had to bring it back and tell them no cheese. Acted a bit annoyed but it didnt say it on the menu. Good location!

Pros: Good location, Great vegan dessert, Quick service

Not impressed - Edit

I went here because it had a lot of hype, and I wasn't impressed at all.

First, it's definitely the most expensive veg place in Krakow. Second, the food was not great at all. I can make much better at home, and I have no professional training.

I couldn't decide what to order, so I asked the girl at the counter to recommend something vegan. She recommended the enchilada, which was a huge mistake. I've lived in southern America, so I know tex-mex food. This wasn't it. Definitely the worst enchilada I've had. If you've never been to Texas or Mexico, maybe you would like it. I didn't even eat half of it.

Pros: All-veg

Cons: Not impressed with food

Vegetarian's Choice - Edit

As a vegetarian we were searching good place to eat after a long walk in old town and found greenway. What to say.. .food was too good .we had indian kofta( cottage cheese balls) with creamy tomaty suace , salad ,rice and veggie curry was also there. All in one dish.Also try dessert and soup of the day ..

So do a visit even if you are not vegan for health fresh n tasty food.and price is very reasonable if compared with with quantity of food.

Now i would like to visit it in my city also Warsaw..!!

Pros: Healthy dishes, reasonable price, Nice staff

Surprisingly disappointing. - Edit

I'm surprised to see so many 4 and 5 cow reviews for Green Way.

We didn't realise English menus were available, so admittedly we weren't 100% clear on what we were ordering, but the staff didn't offer English alternatives, despite laughing at our terrible Polish and conducting the rest of the transaction in English.

I ordered the falafel which was smothered with mayonnaise before I could stop the server, so switched for the more vegan-friendly samosas. My brother ordered pakora, and both our dishes came covered in this horribly bland curry-flavoured gravy.

The portions were really generous and good value for money, and we enjoyed the broad selection of juices. My mother was really pleased with the falafel and rated it very highly, but I was unimpressed by the quality of my food.

The interior was lovely - very clean, bright and comfortable, and there was a good crowd eating an early supper. I may have just chosen poorly, so would recommend fellow Happy Cowers ensure they ask for the English menu and avoid the curry-based dishes.

Pros: big portions, extensive menu, cheap

Cons: tasted bland

Number one in Krakow - Edit

We have been to several vegetarian cafes in Krakow during our stay there. And this one won our votes for a few reasons: friendly staff, pleasant atmosphere, reasonable prices (really cheap), large portions, good value of food, wide choice of dishes, excellent location. The only thing that can be improved is marking vegan options (matters for vegans). But this is not a problem because the staff are always ready to tell you which dishes are vegan.

Pros: Very reasonable prices, Large portions, Good value

Polish cuisine made vegan... - Edit

...I can recommend the soups in particular, but generally it's always been good. English menu available on request. Like all Green Way cafes the staff are friendly and know which potions are vegan. Nice decor also.

Pros: choice, quantity

Excellent food/price ratio - Edit

My wife and I dined here twice, because we could not find a better option for a vegetarian meal with relatively freshly tasting ingredients. We were surprised by how fresh everything tasted, because our expectations were not too high of a self service fast foodish restaurant. The lentil soup, creamy beet soup and Mexican plate with buckwheat were excellent. Big portions, low budget. We were too stuffed to try out dessert!

Wonderful Restaurant... great food and location - Edit

I highly recommend Green Way. The salad was fresh and delicious. It had plenty of fresh greens in it, unlike other salads I had in Poland that were heavy on the cabbage and beets. The soup was equally wonderful, flavourful and hearty. For desert I ordered the berry smoothie was one of the best I've had in years; it contained lots of berries in a rich yogurt base.

Green Way is self-serve and reasonably priced with a pleasant decor and very clean. The only potential drawback is that in order to use the the washrooms, I needed to walk downstairs through a bar to use their facilities. However, the bar was quite gracious about allowing me to walk through, so it seems they must have an arrangement in place.

I highly recommend this restaurant.

Pros: Healthy wholesome food, English menu, good value

Cons: bathroom downstairs thru bar

Boring & blend food - Edit

I used to go there often however their food got very boring and it kinda feels like they dont use any spices. Everything is very blend. I was lucky once to order a gazpacho there which was pretty good. But thats about it. Their vegetarian food is a lot better, I'm vegan now tho.

For vegetarians I can highly recommend their green gnocchi with vegetable sauce ! They also have good aloe juice and assortment of freshly squeezed juiced.

Pros: freshly squeezed juices, few locations in big cities in Poland, good localization

Cons: blend, boring, microwaved

There's no better way than Green Way - Edit

Well, there is a better way than Green Way but it just reminded me of a jingle from an old UK TV advert so I had to get it in. This is basically the old Green Way that has been here for years but has undergone a re-branding for some reason as they have done in Warsaw. You can't fail to get a great feed here, the choice is amazing, portion sizes are filling and the prices superb. Vegan choice here is excellent from the soups to the desserts. There is a nice raised seating area above the main restaurant which is great for people watching as the crowds flock to and from the Rynek Glowny very close by. The location is simply amazing, right in the Stare Miasto in the heart of the tourist zone. I usually go for the soup here to start the day off and the traditional Polish Bigos as a main course. It's worth studying the menu closely before you order as the staff are usually on top of you as soon as you step close to the counter. There are better vegetarian places in Krakow but I will always have a lot of time for Green Way.

Pros: cheap, choice, portion sizes

Cons: gets hot in summer, no alcohol

cheap and substantial - Edit

On a recent trip to Krakow, we visited 6 veggie/vegan restaurants listed on Happy Cow. We loved this place. Massive portions for less than the price of a sandwich in Britain! The mexican tofu stew was delicious and perfect on a bitterly cold day. We had lunch here 3 times and even my meat eating husband was veryimpressed.

Pros: Excellent food, great value, good selection

Bland food, but soup was good - Edit

Bland food. Went there several years ago, but the hot soup was quite good. I would rather go to Glonjad or Karma Cafe. It's same as the other Green ways and not organic also. Just standard veggie bar offerings.

Pros: good soup

Cons: bland, standard fare, nothing special

Greenway, just a bit Krakowian - Edit

Similar to other Greenway restaurants this is a very cheap, pleasant cafe/restaurant. Good location, in the historic centre, the menu is extensive, very reasonably priced and the staff speak English (there is also an English menu available). While by no means exotic Greenway serves cheap, reliable vegetarian food. 10-15zl for a main dish.

Pros: Cheap, Range of dishes, Location

Return to Krakow Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Green Day closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5778 times since Oct 2011.