First Review by cwavegan

My Favorite - Edit

I truly have an endless love for this place! Green Sprout, along with the wonderful owners, have a special little place in my heart. It's wonderful to have such a great, local, vegan selection with an extensive menu. Service is always quick, food is hot, and the vegetables are perfect. I bring my omni - partner here with me all the time, and he approves too! I recommend the sesame soy chickn and tofu spinach soup! Yum! Thank you, Green Sprout!

Pros: Vegan Heaven , good prices, quick

Delicious! - Edit

The food was amazing. I got the wonton soup, soy drumsticks, house lo mein, and sesame chicken, it was all fantastic. The staff was so friendly and everything came out fast. It was also very clean. I'll definitely go back when in Atlanta again.

Pros: friendly staff , fast service , great food

Cons: none

Overall positive - Edit

I'll admit that I was hoping for a bit more than the experience I had. Still, I wish there were a restaurant like Green Sprout in the Raleigh-Durham area, where I live. Green Sprout reminds me of the now-closed Vegetable Garden, of Bethesda MD, but the quality is not quite as good.

I drove down to Atlanta to audition for the show "Jeopardy." Thanks to Happy Cow, I was able to pre-plan where to eat for dinner. One of the places I chose was Green Sprout.

When I called Green Sprout prior to my visit, I got a generic voice mail message (no mention of the restaurant on the voice mail message) that said the voice mailbox was full. Huh? I thought the restaurant must be out of business. But since it was close to my hotel, I drove over there. It was open! One minus for not having a functioning voice mail system that provides an appropriate greeting.

On entering the restaurant, I was greeted with a smell that I call "old restaurant smell." Not pleasant, but not noticeable once you're there for a few minutes. One minus for the smell. I mentioned to the woman who greeted me about the voice mail, but she did not really seem to care.

Somehow, I expect vegan restaurants to be a bit more effusive in their greeting of customers, but usually I am disappointed. Not much of a greeting here, but perhaps I got off on the wrong foot by mentioning the voice mail.

The restaurant has a good menu, with nice descriptions of each dish. How nice to be able to choose from various soups/appetizers/entrees that are all vegan.

Running out of room, so I must truncate my review. I got a Chef's Special dish: Empire Soy Chicken (mild), which contains soy chicken (which I was told is non-GMO) and veggies. The "chicken" is battered and fried. The food was hot (in terms of temperature)--a big plus for that. The veggies were cooked very well--just the right amount of crunch/softness. The sauce was tasty but a bit too sweet and cloyingly thick (corn starch?).

The proprietor seemed to know his regulars, but I was not afforded any special treatment. My server did not even check to see if my food was okay--a minus for that in any restaurant.

There is an extra charge for rice ($1.00 brown, $.75 white)--why not just include it with the entree, as most Chinese restaurants do?

Nice new age music playing.

Though I did not feel welcomed or appreciated as a customer, I'd still go back to try other dishes. And I still wish that there were a place like this in my area.

Pros: Lots of vegan choices, Convenient location in strip mall, Food served hot (temperature)

Cons: Funky smell

It was okay! - Edit

I LOVE Chinese food! I have been on a search for great Vegan Chinese. I work near and tried it out and it was just okay. I would eat it again but there was nothing GREA that makes me crave it.....

Pros: Fresh

Cons: small portions

Best Chinese I've Ever Had - Edit

Green Sprout isn't the easiest restaurant to find (it's in a little strip mall), but it's worth the search. They have the best Chinese food I've ever eaten, vegan or otherwise. I have taken friends and family both to Green Sprout and they are still talking about how wonderful it was. The family who owns it are very friendly and they serve you enormous portions. I only wish they would open another location closer to me!

Pros: Great Food, Inexpensive, Friendly Staff

Cons: Hard to Find

I Loved This Food! - Edit

Admittedly I am new to being a vegetarian. I'm 19 days in on a 30 day challenge and this place was just what I needed. The atmosphere, the kind people working here and their willingness to help me navigate uncharted territory of Vegan cuisine. I got the Empire Chicken and let me just say that because of my experience here I have deeply considered extending my 30 day challenge to a permanent thing. Interesting food, great texture for the chicken itself. It even heated up well the next day. It's food like this that albeit is not the healthiest in the world but it's an imperative step to keep me on a plant based diet and that's an incredible feat as I have been a lifelong carnivore.

Pros: Friendly, Fast Service, Great diverse selection of food

excellent - Edit

I ate here yesterday. The hot and sour soup, general tso veggie shrimp and fried bananas were all delicious. I had to request no egg in the soup as a vegan. Highly recommended!
Updated from previous review on Saturday September 14, 2013

Wouldn't go back - Edit

My sister visited this place on her own and had a great meal, so she recommended it to me, but I really can't recommend it. The menu has a lot of variety, so I was very excited, but maybe I just chose the wrong things. I got the wok seared chicken with spicy peppers and vegetables and the chicken with green beans. The green beans were ok, but the chicken in that dish was extremely chewy and kind of rubbery (but it was edible). The wok chicken dish was terrible, though. It was more like fried flour dough balls and dry vegetables. The chicken did not taste anywhere close to chicken at all. I was very upset after spending that money, and I would not return to Green Sprout.

Vegan Galore - Edit

I was visiting Atlanta and stopped in to Green Sprout for lunch. The owners were very welcoming, the atmosphere was very relaxed, and there was an overwhelming selection of vegan options on the menu. My table ordered three different dishes and all were delicious. I would be a regular customer if I lived in Atlanta!

Pros: large menu selection, good value, relaxing atmosphere

Great Restaurant! - Edit

I live in Atlanta, so I have been meaning to write a review for a while now. I sometimes eat at Green Sprout more than once a week, and everything I have tried has been excellent and I am never disappointed. The restaurant is pretty much vegan, and since everything is cooked to order you have the option to leave eggs out of their fried rice. That is the only menu item that comes to mind that is not vegan, and they are always mindful to ask first. Also, if you have a gluten allergy their food is 100% gluten free. The staff is great and friendly. If you live in Atlanta, or you are just passing through, I highly recommend you give them a try.

Pros: Excellent food, Great Staff, Good value

Great place - Edit

Who doesn't love Green Sprouts? This place is awesome! Every time my friends and I drove up to Atlanta we would never leave without stopping at this place. I always stick to the "chicken" selections. My personal favorite is the General Tso's with the sesame chicken coming in 2nd. The eggplant and chicken with garlic sauce is pretty tasty too.

Pros: food is great, vegan friendly

Love This Place - Edit

This is one of the few places I go to over and over again because the food is always good and the service is always excellent. Vegan friendly does not cut it. Everything on their menu can be converted to vegan if you leave out eggs and they have a wide selection of soy meats and items you'll love. The soy drumsticks and soy crispy fish filets are my favorite. If you're a vegan purist or foodie snob this may be too close to meat for you or too fried food friendly but if every once and a while you just want a hearty, satisfying yet resonably priced meal with exceptionally friendly service you'll love this place. Each time I go, I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop, waiting for the big "aha, I knew it was too good to be true" moment and it never happens. I'm always satisfied and sadly always amazed how rare good food and good service can be had in Atlanta if you're vegan.
Updated from previous review on Sunday December 16, 2012

Pros: very vegan friendly, excellant customer service, wide array of choices

Cons:

GREAT VEGAN OPTION - Edit

Great Chinese style menu. All there meat is soy based and vegan. Apparently they do add eggs to some dishes so you should specify. The customer service was terrific. My husband even commented how much the "meat" was like meat. They did not have many customers while we were there which saddened me- I really hope this restaurant continues to survive because it is such a great place for vegan/vegetarian Chinese meal options.

Pros: Location , Vegan Option , Customer Service

Veggie-chinese place - Edit

I initially was very hesistant to visit this place as it always looks empty. However, given the positive reviews it had before I decided to finally go and I was not dissapointed. The menu is quite original with titles as chicken and pork with everything being veggy and with suggestions of omiting egg if desired. I tried the empire chicken and finished the plate! it was really good. The service was also quite nice and the place has a quiet environment. Definetively going back

Yummy. Affordable. Vegan. Nothing bad to say! - Edit

When I moved back to Atlanta from London, I was astounded to find that not only did I live near a vegan restaurant but also one that delivered to me. Best faux chicken I've ever had! Try the drumsticks. Fun! Affordable. Nothing negative to say about the place or the food. Lovely staff. I miss them!

Pros: Great food, Low prices, Delivery!

Pleased - Edit

Took myself to the Green Sprout for lunch today. It's all vegetarian although not vegan. I'm not a huge fan of Asian food, but it was quite good and I will be going back. I had the lunch special General Tso's "chicken" with brown rice. Everything seemed really fresh. Would definitely recommend, especially if you enjoy Asian food.

Not impressed... - Edit

My stay in Atlanta was short and hurried so I did not get to try as many things as I would have liked to when I ran by Green Sprout. I chose General Tso "chicken" because I like spicy dishes. The flavor was good but the vegan chicken was rubbery and very unappealing. I was left disappointed. Maybe it was a fluke. I don't know. However, the staff was very friendly and the place was nice in appearance. I also liked the container in which my to-go food was packed; I wash and reuse it regularly, but it's recyclable as well. Whenever I return to ATL I may give them another shot and just try a different dish.

Pros: inexpensive, friendly staff, lots of vegan options

GS will hold a special place in my belly ;) - Edit

i just moved away a couple weeks ago but Green Sprout was my absolute favorite veggie spot, even when i was dining alone...i didn't try much of what was on the menu b/c i got stuck on the wonton soup, chikn drumsticks, and i normally had the 'salmon' or chikn cutlet and veggies...it was THAT good! sometimes, ok, a lot of times i would just order a couple orders of the chikn drumsticks to go lol anyway, it wasn't until a few months before i left that i realized that they delivered...and THEN they started opening 7 days a week! i will DEFINITELY go back every single time i visit atlanta :)

Pros: SUPERB food, price, staff are great

Cons: 900 miles away :(

LOVE - Edit

Need a junky Chinese food fix? This place fits the bill. The chicken drumstick appetizers are amazing and so is the orange chicken. The staff is super friendly and I love the quiet atmosphere in the restaurant. I always order extra food so I can take some home. I wish Green Sprout would expand to Augusta!

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, inexpensive

Beware - Edit

Not saying that this is true of Green Sprout (or the myriad of other vegetarian restaurants in the city), but I think it's important to read some interesting findings out in LA.

Basically, a lot of what restaurants call vegan (or egg-free/dairy-free) isn't even close to vegan. Just adds more fuel to the fire that they really should be more careful with what you eat.

I have eaten at Green Sprout many times and it has always been delicious. Large portions, cheap prices. I will continue to eat there, but will likely forgo the fake meats and go with the best thing on the menu: Apple Fried Rice

Pros: Apple Fried Rice

One aw wipes out ten ataboys - Edit

Green sprout was a favorite as the food is good and the price is reasonable.Service is pleasurable as the staff are very friendly.I did have one really bad experience...after eating from there I became very ill.I was a regular and after staying away a long time they act as if I had been there yesterday. My friend still eats there but I am gun shy,I can't do it.

Pros: good food, good price

great for fake meat lovers... - Edit

a lot of the food is heavy on the sugar and fried...a bit heavy handed...mushroom soup is outstanding...friendly service..and brown rice is served upon request...

Pros: friendly service, mushroom soup!

Cons: atmosphere

Wonderful - Edit

Great place. Amazing fake meat. The fake beef is a little better than the fake port, which reminded me of spam. I can't wait to go back and try the fake seafood. The owner was very pleasant and chatty. He did not mind when I breastfed baby in the restaurant, and did not avert his eyes and pretend that I was not there, as many people do when the see a breastfeeding woman. He just served the food normally.

Pros: Excelllent food, friendly staff, great fake meat

Cons: none - this place is great!

green sprout is amazing! - Edit

I saw this on happycow, and had to go.My husband and I freaked out over the delicious food.The real standouts were the stuffed zuchini as an app. and the portion was huge!I had vegetable and tofa lettuce wraps with vegan beef added.Fabulous!My love had vegan general taos chicken.Unbelievebly good.After all that, we bought hoy and sour soup to go, minus the eggs,brown rice, and an order of vegan fish wrapped in bean curd skin and then fried until super crispy,Seriously, it was the best thing I have eaten in years.If you are in the Atlanta area, do yourself a favor and get to this place.!!!!!

Pros: friendly staff, fair prices, fresh and colorful food

Yummy but LOUD - Edit

GREAT food and very friendly staff, but MAN is it noisy. I mean, one guy that worked there just yells as his normal voice. Also had to switch tables because the halogen track lights were blinding. I'll probably do take-out next time, because the food is just fantastic.

Pros: Great food!, Great prices!, Great food!

Cons: Noisy, Lighting extremely harsh

Really varied and extensive vegan selections - Edit

As a vegan, Green Sprouts is on my top five list of restaurants in Atlanta.

First of all, the staff understands the concept of vegan, so I don't have to interrogate them about where the food comes from and what animal products may be hidden therein.

Secondly, the menu is extensive and varied, so I'm not confined to a third class afterthought section of the menu, which even happens all too often in ostensibly "vegetarian" restaurants.

Finally, the food is absolutely delicious, so I feel very comfortable bringing my non-vegan friends along with me.

It's also an excellent restaurant for a group of people to order a selection of menu items and share. I went in a party of five yesterday, and consequently got a really broad sampling of choices, from an odd but tasty sauteed potato dish, to a tofu skin wrapped bean sprout dish, a butternut squash selection, and a couple of stir fried noodle dishes.

The last time I was there, I ordered one of the simulated chicken dishes (Empire Chicken). While I realize many vegans object to that sort of dish, it was eerily convincing, and very tasty. Since a large part of my decision to go vegan was ethical,
I think well prepared dishes of that sort serve as
a "soft landing" means of introducing people to the possibility of veganism.

Many kudos to this wonderful restaurant.

Pros: vegan friendly, delicious, reasonably priced

Delicious! - Edit

I absolutely LOVE this place! I read the reviews listed on this site and knew we had to stop through on our visit to Atlanta last weekend. Green Sprout exceeded my expectations, providing flavorful vegan food in a relaxed environment. We started out with the spring rolls, which are made with a wheat wrapper. Simply fabulous! Then, I requested the General Tso's Chicken, and or waiter suggested I try the Empire Chicken instead. (I think that is its name.) It was so full of flavor and crispy vegetables. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it! I'm not a big mock meat type of girl, but the texture of their mock chicken was quite pleasant, closely resembling real chicken without the icky grease. I will definitely dine at the Green Sprout my next time in ATL.

Pros: Yummy Food, Friendly & Friendly Staff, Ample Parking

so good! - Edit

I'm in Atlanta this week for a business trip, and I found Green Sprout on this website. They delivered to my hotel room. If only they would deliver to my normal home 1000 miles away! The wonton soup was spectacular. I haven't had wonton soup since going vegan 5 months ago, and it's one of the few things I really missed. This was just like I remembered - the taste was spot on, and the wontons wonderfully soft and delicate. Whoever took my order on the phone was very helpful in guiding me the kind of entree I was looking for, which turned out to be chicken with mixed vegetables. The sauce wasn't gloppy at all, very light and flavorful (I asked for it to be spicy and they obliged). It came with *tons* of fresh, perfectly sauteed vegetables, and very yummy fake chicken. The price was very reasonable, no more than I usually pay for 'normal' chinese food, and delivery was fast. The portions were very generous, so I get to look forward to having this again for lunch tomorrow!

Pros: cheap, healthy options, great flavors

The Best Vegan Food - Edit

Green Sprout is a quaint and pleasant restaurant. The owner was really friendly and talked with us. He told us that he does not really advertise, but depends on his customers to spread the word...I thought that was awesome! There were some pricey things on the menu, but it was for like fish and some of the rare vegan foods that are normally pricey anyways. Now let's get to the food- besides there being practically an UNLIMITED amount of dishes to choose from- the food was like heaven. My redneck father ate up and my grandmother who has alzheimers didn't know the difference between real pork and fake. We ordered about 3 plates for the 4 of us, which left us loosening our belts and taking home two boxes of food. You gotta go.

Pros: tasty food, big portions, friendly staff

Cons: there's not a green sprout where I live

Awesome Restaurant! - Edit

I dine at green sprout at least once a month, and it has always been delicious and amazing. The waiter there is very friendly and knowledgeable about veganism and what dishes are good with certain ingredients. The ambience is serene with dim lights and cozy booths. You can also order takeout. Every dish I've had has been great. Try the sesame chicken or the mongolian beef, really any dish is amazing. Their soups are nice too paired with hot tea.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, resonable prices

Cons: closed wednesday, need sugar on all tables, wait on food 30min.+

Amazing delivery - Edit

They deliver within 5 miles, which for me was directly to my hotel room! They do require that your order is at least $10, though (so that would be an entree and a drink, or an entree and an appetizer at minimum). They had items I had never even though to make, but now will. I ordered butternut squash, which came cut into two large bowls filled with sweet hoisin-style sauce and sauteed veggies. The veggie pancake (sort of a rice flour pancake with asparagus and mushrooms in it) was oily, but yummy just the same. I also ordered mango bubble tea. Their bubble tea is different from any I have previously had-- the tapioca balls were the size of marbles and were brown. The mango juice tasted like it had been freshly drawn from the fruit itself. I was tempted to eat here every night of my stay in Atlanta, but wanted to try some other places. If I lived in Atlanta, I would order from here at least once a week.

Pros: All vegan, Varied Menu, Very friendly

Cons: Takeout not recycleable

Can Healthy Really be This Good? - Edit

I am not a fulltime vegetarian yet but I am on a track to becoming more healthy so Mock meat is helpful for me right now. I highly recommend this place. The food was very well seasoned, it was clean, and the staff/service was was very pleasant. I ended up eating there twice in my 5 day stay and I plan to go there again on my next trip to ATL in July.

Pros: Good Food, Very reasonable price, Friendly attentive wait s

Cons: parking on the weekends

Soup's On - Edit

Though everything on the menu is excellent, I really like the soups here the best. Maybe it's because you can't trust soup to be vegan in most places. Of the entrees, I think the crispy portabella is the best. The yukon potato entree is good too. I like the variety of apetizers as well. Typically I will eat and appetizer and soup in the restaurant, and then take the entree to go as it is alot of food. They do allow dogs to dine with you outside.

Pros: dog friendly, great soup, nice staff

A happy ending - Edit

Green Sprout is a treasure for vegans and vegetarians in a city of soul food and meaterys. I have enjoyed everything I have tried from this restaurant. I had been getting take out for months when I had time to eat-in and the food is even better(as if I thought that was possible) when you eat it there! The food is just like its meated counterparts, but better. All and all, when you eat there you have a very happy ending. Try the fish filets!!!

Pros: Delicious chinese food, Great service, Reasonable pricing

Cons: Not more locations

AND THEY DELIVER!!!! - Edit

Yes, I said and they DELIVER! I live about 5 miles from Green Sprout and when I wanna order delivery and watch a movie, I don't get many choices as a vegan. No, fear, Green Sprout is here with yummy vegan friendly food right at your door in about 30 minutes. That's whats up!

Pros: Vegan, Delivery, Moderately Priced

Return to Atlanta Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Green Sprout closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 12806 times since Aug 2007.