Green Sprout

404-874-7373

1529 Piedmont Ave Ste D, Atlanta, Georgia, USA, 30309

Atlanta vegan restaurant with an extensive menu. Offers lunch specials. Became all-vegan in 2015. Open Mon-Tue 11:30am-10:00pm, Thu 11:30am-10:00pm, Fri-Sat 11:30am-10:30pm, Sun 12:00pm-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan, Chinese, Take-out

First Review by cwavegan

Not for soy free diet - Edit

The majority of their menu is filled with tofu. The gluten free part only has 2 entrees that doesn't have soy. Moderately priced

Land of Underwelment - Edit

Quaint restaurant in Atlanta with both vegetarian and (limited) vegan options for chinese food. My family and I were eager and excited to try a vegetarian/vegan restaurant in our area for the first time, only to leave hungry, disappointed and regretful.

I'm sincerely sorry to say, but I have no intention of eating here again.

Pros: Variety of vegetarian meals

Cons: Extremely limited vegan menu, food lacked seasoning and flavor, service needs some improvement, and food quality does not match the price.

I was starving and visiting. I went and I loved it. Chinese food, yo. No pretense.

I had to read the WHOLE menu! - Edit

You have SO MANY options at Green Sprout it's overwhelming (not in a negative way at all)!! I got the House Mushroom Soup, Fried Vegetable Spring Rolls, and the House Lo Mein with rice noodles. DELICIOUS! The server was wonderful and very welcoming. I already can't wait to come back! Go check it out for yourself! Go veg!

Pros: LOTS of options

great chicken substitute! - Edit

Green sprout is delicious! I always get their "chicken" lo mein but I've also had the fried rice and it's all equally yummy. Food always gets brought out really quick and the waitress is friendly.

It seems to be a small family owned place, it's really nothing fancy and the dining room is TINY. But it's certainly a hidden gem!

My Favorite - Edit

I truly have an endless love for this place! Green Sprout, along with the wonderful owners, have a special little place in my heart. It's wonderful to have such a great, local, vegan selection with an extensive menu. Service is always quick, food is hot, and the vegetables are perfect. I bring my omni - partner here with me all the time, and he approves too! I recommend the sesame soy chickn and tofu spinach soup! Yum! Thank you, Green Sprout!

Pros: Vegan Heaven , good prices, quick

Delicious! - Edit

The food was amazing. I got the wonton soup, soy drumsticks, house lo mein, and sesame chicken, it was all fantastic. The staff was so friendly and everything came out fast. It was also very clean. I'll definitely go back when in Atlanta again.

Pros: friendly staff , fast service , great food

Cons: none

Overall positive - Edit

I'll admit that I was hoping for a bit more than the experience I had. Still, I wish there were a restaurant like Green Sprout in the Raleigh-Durham area, where I live. Green Sprout reminds me of the now-closed Vegetable Garden, of Bethesda MD, but the quality is not quite as good.

I drove down to Atlanta to audition for the show "Jeopardy." Thanks to Happy Cow, I was able to pre-plan where to eat for dinner. One of the places I chose was Green Sprout.

When I called Green Sprout prior to my visit, I got a generic voice mail message (no mention of the restaurant on the voice mail message) that said the voice mailbox was full. Huh? I thought the restaurant must be out of business. But since it was close to my hotel, I drove over there. It was open! One minus for not having a functioning voice mail system that provides an appropriate greeting.

On entering the restaurant, I was greeted with a smell that I call "old restaurant smell." Not pleasant, but not noticeable once you're there for a few minutes. One minus for the smell. I mentioned to the woman who greeted me about the voice mail, but she did not really seem to care.

Somehow, I expect vegan restaurants to be a bit more effusive in their greeting of customers, but usually I am disappointed. Not much of a greeting here, but perhaps I got off on the wrong foot by mentioning the voice mail.

The restaurant has a good menu, with nice descriptions of each dish. How nice to be able to choose from various soups/appetizers/entrees that are all vegan.

Running out of room, so I must truncate my review. I got a Chef's Special dish: Empire Soy Chicken (mild), which contains soy chicken (which I was told is non-GMO) and veggies. The "chicken" is battered and fried. The food was hot (in terms of temperature)--a big plus for that. The veggies were cooked very well--just the right amount of crunch/softness. The sauce was tasty but a bit too sweet and cloyingly thick (corn starch?).

The proprietor seemed to know his regulars, but I was not afforded any special treatment. My server did not even check to see if my food was okay--a minus for that in any restaurant.

There is an extra charge for rice ($1.00 brown, $.75 white)--why not just include it with the entree, as most Chinese restaurants do?

Nice new age music playing.

Though I did not feel welcomed or appreciated as a customer, I'd still go back to try other dishes. And I still wish that there were a place like this in my area.

Pros: Lots of vegan choices, Convenient location in strip mall, Food served hot (temperature)

Cons: Funky smell

It was okay! - Edit

I LOVE Chinese food! I have been on a search for great Vegan Chinese. I work near and tried it out and it was just okay. I would eat it again but there was nothing GREA that makes me crave it.....

Pros: Fresh

Cons: small portions

Best Chinese I've Ever Had - Edit

Green Sprout isn't the easiest restaurant to find (it's in a little strip mall), but it's worth the search. They have the best Chinese food I've ever eaten, vegan or otherwise. I have taken friends and family both to Green Sprout and they are still talking about how wonderful it was. The family who owns it are very friendly and they serve you enormous portions. I only wish they would open another location closer to me!

Pros: Great Food, Inexpensive, Friendly Staff

Cons: Hard to Find

Great restaurant! - Edit

I love Green Sprout! While I have only had take-out from here, it is always delicious and I haven't found a bad dish yet.

Pros: crispy soy drumsticks, friendly staff

Cons: not inexpensive

I Loved This Food! - Edit

Admittedly I am new to being a vegetarian. I'm 19 days in on a 30 day challenge and this place was just what I needed. The atmosphere, the kind people working here and their willingness to help me navigate uncharted territory of Vegan cuisine. I got the Empire Chicken and let me just say that because of my experience here I have deeply considered extending my 30 day challenge to a permanent thing. Interesting food, great texture for the chicken itself. It even heated up well the next day. It's food like this that albeit is not the healthiest in the world but it's an imperative step to keep me on a plant based diet and that's an incredible feat as I have been a lifelong carnivore.

Pros: Friendly, Fast Service, Great diverse selection of food

excellent - Edit

I ate here yesterday. The hot and sour soup, general tso veggie shrimp and fried bananas were all delicious. I had to request no egg in the soup as a vegan. Highly recommended!
Updated from previous review on Saturday September 14, 2013

Wouldn't go back - Edit

My sister visited this place on her own and had a great meal, so she recommended it to me, but I really can't recommend it. The menu has a lot of variety, so I was very excited, but maybe I just chose the wrong things. I got the wok seared chicken with spicy peppers and vegetables and the chicken with green beans. The green beans were ok, but the chicken in that dish was extremely chewy and kind of rubbery (but it was edible). The wok chicken dish was terrible, though. It was more like fried flour dough balls and dry vegetables. The chicken did not taste anywhere close to chicken at all. I was very upset after spending that money, and I would not return to Green Sprout.

Vegan Galore - Edit

I was visiting Atlanta and stopped in to Green Sprout for lunch. The owners were very welcoming, the atmosphere was very relaxed, and there was an overwhelming selection of vegan options on the menu. My table ordered three different dishes and all were delicious. I would be a regular customer if I lived in Atlanta!

Pros: large menu selection, good value, relaxing atmosphere

Great Restaurant! - Edit

I live in Atlanta, so I have been meaning to write a review for a while now. I sometimes eat at Green Sprout more than once a week, and everything I have tried has been excellent and I am never disappointed. The restaurant is pretty much vegan, and since everything is cooked to order you have the option to leave eggs out of their fried rice. That is the only menu item that comes to mind that is not vegan, and they are always mindful to ask first. Also, if you have a gluten allergy their food is 100% gluten free. The staff is great and friendly. If you live in Atlanta, or you are just passing through, I highly recommend you give them a try.

Pros: Excellent food, Great Staff, Good value

Great place - Edit

Who doesn't love Green Sprouts? This place is awesome! Every time my friends and I drove up to Atlanta we would never leave without stopping at this place. I always stick to the "chicken" selections. My personal favorite is the General Tso's with the sesame chicken coming in 2nd. The eggplant and chicken with garlic sauce is pretty tasty too.

Pros: food is great, vegan friendly

Love This Place - Edit

This is one of the few places I go to over and over again because the food is always good and the service is always excellent. Vegan friendly does not cut it. Everything on their menu can be converted to vegan if you leave out eggs and they have a wide selection of soy meats and items you'll love. The soy drumsticks and soy crispy fish filets are my favorite. If you're a vegan purist or foodie snob this may be too close to meat for you or too fried food friendly but if every once and a while you just want a hearty, satisfying yet resonably priced meal with exceptionally friendly service you'll love this place. Each time I go, I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop, waiting for the big "aha, I knew it was too good to be true" moment and it never happens. I'm always satisfied and sadly always amazed how rare good food and good service can be had in Atlanta if you're vegan.
Updated from previous review on Sunday December 16, 2012

Pros: very vegan friendly, excellant customer service, wide array of choices

Cons:

Return to Atlanta Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Green Sprout closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.