Green Lotus Vegan

Contact 480-964-0244

1933 W Main St Ste 7, Mesa, Arizona, USA, 85201

Opened early-2015, a small, hole-in-the wall kind of Asian diner serving vegan Thai food. Open Mon-Sun 11:00am-9:30pm.

Category: Vegan, Thai, Delivery, Take-out, Catering

First Review by veggiesince1977

Not true vegan or vegetarian - Same kitchen as Pho Bamboo - Edit

I am a life long vegetarian so I decided to try this place because its call "Green Lotus Vegetarian." When I walked in the restaurant I was directed through a door into another room which I realized later was another restaurant called Pho Bamboo. Hummm...I thought to myself then proceeded to order the Spicy Basil Noodle. It was totally vegetarian according to the description so I thought I was safe. When I got home and inspected the food it had very greasy, oily sauce that was soaking all the soggy vegetables and tiny pieces of really soft chopped up rice noodles. I was so hungry I figured I would try it. They put celery in the food which was not in the description. I hate celery. They left out the tomatoes and basil which was in the description. The second bite of noodles pieces and broccoli had a Huge chunk of CHICKEN in it!! Yes, Green Lotus Vegetarian put REAL CHICKEN in my food. After I looked up Pho Bamboos menu I realized Pho Bamboo is not vegetarian an serves all meat dishes and shares the same kitchen and cook as Green Lotus. I went right back there and got my money refunded and called them out for putting REAL CHICKEN in my vegetarian food. They denied it had chicken in it and played dumb about using the same kitchen and surfaces to prepare meat and vegetarian meals. This felt like false advertising and a bait and switch for vegetarians. Real authentic vegetarian restaurants like Loving Hut or Green Vegetarian Only serve food with NO animal products. This place is a joke if your looking for a true vegetarian restaurant. Please don't waste your time with this place.

Updated from previous review on 2016-11-05

Not fully vegan AT ALL. - Edit

Scary situation overall for me. As a vegan, I truly wanted to support a place with so many options. The inside is pretty dingy and overall pretty uncomfortable. The kitchen is shared with many animal products and it was tough to be sure our food wouldn't be cross contaminated. The food was lackluster at best and very greasy. Gluten-free items were not labeled and the ingredients were a mystery most of the time.

Updated from previous review on 2016-10-10

Pros: Friendly owner

Cons: Shared kitchen, Sketchy dining room, Dingy

Reminds me of eating at grandmas house - Edit

The lady who served us was very sweet. The decor is very eclectic. We enjoyed our meal and took home a bunch of leftovers. The portions are huge. I'm just happy there is an actual vegan restaurant in Mesa!

Updated from previous review on 2016-08-27

Pros: Friendly staff, Large portions, Inexpensive

Cons: Cluttered dining area, Shared kitchen with non vegan restaurant

Best Vegan Delivery in Mesa - Edit

Super tasty curry, pad Thai, spring rolls, and I love the lotus salad! My family likes anything I get from this place. And they deliver! One if my go-to spots in Mesa.

Pros: vegan, tasty, friendly

Not so great! - Edit

Restaurant was empty at 6 pm on a Saturday, not a good sign, it is connected to a restaurant that serves meat and they share the same kitchen, it felt like there was no care put in to this place, it was cluttered, it had cubbies on the tables with the cutlery and napkins that anyone can handle, and the food did not look appetizing and was overly salty. I ordered the won ton soup, the won ton's were more like a soggy flat dumplings with barely any veggie stuffing, I took one bite and sent it back, didn't bother to order anything else as I wasn't feeling good about the energy of the place...

Pros: Our server was friendly

Cons: I suppose some may like the food, not for me., Unkept place, it felt like there was no care put i

Love this place! - Edit

We've had delivery from here and also have eaten at their restaurant. The food is delicious and the portions are huge. I have to say that the delivery portions are considerably smaller then eat in, but it's not worth complaining because they're still pretty big. As one of the only Vegan places in my area, this is my usual go to for delivery.

Pros: 100% Vegan, Big Portions, Fast Delivery

Always closed - Edit

Everytime I place an order or call they are cosed. Today they closed at 5PM when their time says 9:30 PM. last time I placed an order and they were closed for the day.

Make sure you call before driving an hour out there, they might be closed!

Good not Great - Edit

The food was good but nothing special. Small place I was the only one there for my entire meal which was kind of nice. It does share a kitchen with the restaurant next door which is not Vegan but they assured me that everything is kept separate and free of contamination. The servings are big portions and definitely would be a good place for a family style meal.

OK, not fantastic - Edit

Our family ordered 2 appetizers and 4 dishes to share. The food was OK, but not delicious. The kitchen is shared with a non-vegan restaurant next door. Also, they would not accept our credit card because it did not have a chip.

Vast pan-Asian menu that did not disappoint - Edit

We hope more people take advantage of this place. We were the only diners during our entire meal but the food was really tasty and huge servings. The chef/owner/waiter is a long-time vegan but also cooks next door in a Vietnamese restaurant that is definitely not vegan. We had delicious mango salad, mushroom stew, and a eggplant, tofu, and basil dish, and ate every morsel! The menu is huge and the chef/waiter didn't speak much English so we weren't able to get recommendations easily, but she is clearly very talented. The space is about as low-frills as it can get (bright fluorescent lights, odd musack, unmatched furniture), but the price is right and consider it part of the adventure!

So happy to FINALLY have vegan Thai food close by - Edit

We've been here twice and tried the tofu tempura, spring rolls, red and green curries and one of the soup. We've loved it both times and are so happy to finally have a vegan restaurant close by, within delivery range. The only negative is that the appetizers and entrees are a bit pricy, more so than other vegan or non-vegan Thai restaurants I've been to in the past.

Pros: Within delivery range, Delicious food

Cons: The food is pricy

Wonderful Food & Great People - Edit

I love this place!! It is a cute little place with awesw food. Most of the staff doesn't speak much English, but you get by. My only complaint is that they don't have gluten free options labeled. Other than that, awesome!

Pros: Quiet, Fast Service (delivery and eat-in), Delicious

Cons: No Gluten-free items labeled

Delicious food, but non-vegan kitchen - Edit

Green Lotus Vegan recently popped up next to an pho place. I was very excited to try it, as it's less than 2 miles from my house. I had the pad thai and spring rolls, both were very delicious and authentic (though lacking in vegetables). The owner is also the cook, so she is gone for long periods of time, and she also speaks minimal English so anyone that has dietary concerns like gluten-free may have a difficult time communicating with her. But she's very genuinely nice and eager to please, and even brought us a free sample of a new dish. My only complaint is that she's running the pho place and the vegan place from the same kitchen, so the possibility of meat/dairy cross-contamination is there. I also don't know if the fryer is shared, so my spring rolls could very well have been fried next to crab/shrimp/etc. rolls.

Pros: Extensive vegan menu, Great location (on the light rail!), Delicious authentic offerings

Cons: Kitchen is not vegan, Staff speak limited English, No allergy friendly menu options

Return to Mesa Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Green Lotus Vegan closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2972 times since Mar 2015.