Beer/Wine
British
Breakfast

Vegan and nut free cafe serving breakfasts, lunches, tapas, Sunday lunches and afternoon tea. Open Wed-Sat 09:00-16:00. Closed Mon-Tue.

Venue map for Green Island Bistro
© OpenStreetMap contributors

First Review by RaggedStaff

parttimebuddha

Points +104

19 Jan 2024

Detour if you have to amazing find

Lovely find easy 5 stars. Really nice Bistro. We stopped, well detoured here when my wife found it online on our journey home. Easy to park on the high street. 100% vegan with friendly smiling service. I had the coronation chickpea wrap which was a special. We will be back! #Veganuary

Pros: Real food (didn't see any fake stuff) , Friendly service , Kombucha

Cons: It's not in York!

CambriaCeltica

Points +35

13 Dec 2023

What a great place

Located in a small courtyard off Rhuddlan High Street. Seating inside and outside, dog friendly. All vegan, nut free and gluten free options.

Pros: Seasonal food options , Cakes and bakes available , Reading groups, quiz nights, theme nights

VeganBurgerKing

Points +189

05 Dec 2023

Great Little Find

I was staying over in North Wales and I am so glad I managed to find this place.
The kebab was great. Portion size was generous. I also got some cake and that was great.

Pros: Fully vegan , Great service , Generous serving

Mike_Royall

Points +22

04 Dec 2023

Seitan kebab

I've been here twice and It has been a tasty experience on both accounts. There are many things on the menu I'd still like to try but the home made seitan is a winner for me as well as the Gingerbread Latte.

Pros: The meal. , The drink, The cake

04 Dec 2023

Thanks for your review Mike, glad you enjoyed your visits and we look forward to seeing you again soon 💚

ffigan

Points +1195

09 Nov 2023

A Truly Fantastic Vegan Cafe!

I've been to this cafe a handful of times, but if I lived closer to it, I'm positive I would be going far more often!

I have tried items from their breakfast, Sunday roasts, and lunch menus and have thoroughly enjoyed every dish. During my most recent visit, I had the Seitan Kebab with Fries, and it was UNBELIEVABLY good. I felt spoilt for choice with the drink options, and their drinks specials menu which included Pumpkin Spiced Hot Chocoloate or Latte was tempting, but I decided on an Iced Coffee with Oat Milk and had a Bobba Matcha Milk Tea to take away. I also took some Lemon Drizzle and Biscoff cakes to take away, and they were baked to perfection!

There are SO many options at Green Island Bistro as they run several menus dependant on day and time, so each visit, you could try something different. I am planning to try something from their waffle menu next, but if I were local or staying in the area, I'd absolutely attend their 'Taste Of' evenings during which they run a menu with dishes from different countries. In addition to this, they also run painting events, host a book club, cater for private functions, and run an annual vegan market!

Pros: Fresh and Delicious Food, Lots of Different Choices, Menus and Events, Good Service

Cons: Only One Toilet

09 Nov 2023

Thanks you so much for such a wonderful review and for supporting our small independent business 💚

ffigan

09 Nov 2023

You're very welcome! Looking forward to visiting you again soon. ☺️

SophiaBashforth

Points +141

06 Oct 2023

Great

Quick service, variety of lunch options, beautiful cakes for dessert. Thank you

Pros: Fully vegan, Healthy options , Nice cakes

SianMachin

Points +24

19 Sep 2023

Food is lovely

Great service, lovely food!!

Sambexuk

Points +246

17 Sep 2023

Sunday Roast

A wonderful Sunday dinner for our anniversary . Massive portion and really tasty. The cauliflower cheese is a must. Great freindly service and our dog was welcome. He even had a Pawchino! Highly recommended

Pros: Price, Dog freindly, Great service

AliP

Points +153

16 Sep 2023

Lovely !

So surprised and delighted to find this little gem, all vegan with a great choice and delicious. Dog friendly as well, perfect !

Pros: Fully vegan, Great food, Friendly, helpful staff

Kerobbo

Points +21

14 Sep 2023

Amazing food!

Popped in for soup and a sandwich one lunch time and the food was amazing, ample portion size too. So good we booked (essential, it sells out) for the Sunday roast dinner the same week and it was SENSATIONAL! Make sure to add the cauliflower cheese, you won’t be disappointed.

Pros: Delicious food, Cute courtyard setting, Friendly staff

Simon.T.M

Points +40

06 Sep 2023

Great vegan cafe

Fully vegan cafe with a lovely shaded courtyard. We had the seitan kebabs which were excellent, very tasty.

Pros: Excellent all vegan lunchtime choices, Friendly and very efficient service, Dog treats available (which our dog loved)

JasmineWomack

naoms84

Points +313

27 Jul 2023

All vegan find

Very surprised to find an all vegan cafe in this small village. Friendly staff. Good menu. Excellent milkshakes. Cakes were good too. Tie it in with a visit to the castle

LaureeO

Points +16

14 Jul 2023

Amazing breakfast.

We came here for a breakfast and it did not disappoint. Highly recommend!

Pros: Excellent service, Excellent prices, Excellent food

LouiseBB

Points +78

08 Jul 2023

Hidden vegan gem

Lovely little cafe and courtyard with a fully vegan menu, and dog friendly!

J.R.R.

Points +49

19 Jun 2023

Delicious Sunday roast

Was so happy to find a place nearby that do a proper Sunday roast and fully vegan too!

All the food was delicious and I even took home one of the cakes on offer because they looked so good. Wish I had room for pudding.

Would highly recommend and will be visiting again.

emma_hulme

Points +174

29 Apr 2023

Lovely little bistro

Hidden away of the Main Street this little bistro is 100% vegan and nut free. I had the BBQ ‘chicken’ wrap and hubby had a curry - VERY yummy!

Updated from previous review on 2022-10-30

Pros: 100% vegan and not free, Regular specials , Yummy food!

eviec

Points +151

26 Mar 2023

really nice cafe!

absolutely shocking that there is a vegan cafe in rhuddlan but i’m very happy about it! i went with my mum and grandma: we all got a coffee (very good), they got the mushroom biryani and i got the seitan flatbread, which was delicious. we all also got a cake each and i’d really recommend the brownie and lemon drizzle. my only critique is that the cafe itself isn’t very decorated or cosy.

Pros: good options (including gf), very nice food and coffee, all vegan and nut free

Cons: decor

DaisyDuck

Points +32

19 Mar 2023

Mothers Day Afternoon Tea

Was delicious, more than I could eat. My mum isn’t vegan though thoroughly enjoyed it. Definitely will return, little gem.

Pros: All vegan

Vickie44

Points +39

13 Mar 2023

Lovely little cafe

In an area of the UK that is lacking in vegan options the Green Island bistro is a real bonus, with lovely food. Friendly staff aswell makes it a welcoming place to go and visit.
For an independent place too I found their prices quite reasonable.

veganamyv

Points +317

05 Feb 2023

Love it!

I’ve been here quite a few times because it’s close to where I live and the food is so good, with loads to choose from. They also do theme nights like “Taste of…” where they’ll do a specific country’s cuisine or a little “pasta, Prosecco and painting night”. It’s a really fun place, I really recommend!

AliDee

Points +192

24 Jul 2022

Events and vegan food

Found this place because of a Vegan Christmas market. Have been twice now and they have a varying menu - wish I lived closer to join the book club!

Pros: All vegan options, Dog friendly

Hollipop

Points +608

19 Jun 2022

Nice cafe

I was a little bit disappointed with the chickpea tikka wrap, I was hoping it would be more tikka/curry flavoured however it was pretty bland. The texture was also not very nice - reminded me of a tuna replacement, would be nicer as warm, whole chickpeas as opposed to a cold mushy filling. My non-vegan boyfriend had the chilli which he really enjoyed, he said it was very spicy. The cafe could probably do with a bit of work, it was very cold inside and seats were uncomfortable. I would visit here again to try something else out on the menu as it did have a wide selection!

Pros: Good menu, Friendly staff

Cons: Cold/uncomfortable

01 Jul 2022

Thankyou for your review, we are so happy your non-vegan boyfriend enjoyed our spicy chilli it’s one of our favourites too! I’m sorry your found the chickpea wrap bland, it’s a shame you didn’t mention this during your visit as we would of replaced it for something else for you, I am shocked that you complain about it being cold as it’s an extremely warm room and people constantly ask us it we have the heating on and ask to have the door open, we would love to update the furniture so it’s more comfortable for you but as I’m sure you can appreciate we are a new business (a family one) and have gone through a pandemic and currently an economic crisis which has a huge effect on our business and means we simply cannot afford to buy expensive furniture at this moment in time, however this is something we hope to do in the future 💚

katealexandrino

Points +90

12 Jun 2022

Lovely food!

Me and my partner (he’s not vegan) ate here after finding on happy cow, staff really friendly and food was delicious. All home made and good value

keithrjones

Points +13

Mostly Veg
02 Jun 2022

Regular visitors

Always a friendly welcome from Sara and her team, whether it's just for breakfast, or a night out, or even the amazing afternoon tea!

Pros: Lots of totally vegan options, Recommend the afternoon tea

Jennyhallett

Points +105

26 May 2022

Lovely little bistro

Went with two adults and two children for lunch , good variety of choices on menu , very friendly staff , food was all really tasty , would recommend!

Playthell

Points +16

27 Apr 2022

What a brilliant find...

1st visit to this little gem and came away feeling absolutely thrilled. Food was excellent and Mr & Mrs owners were so welcoming! I can't believe that I have an excellent vegan eating place almost on my doorstep.

I can't fault anything from the menu - well balanced and nutritious and it is clear that 'Mrs' who does the cooking is a vegan herself and has really thought about her menu. FANTASTIC!

Also bought some cheese that they sell, (happy Mouse) WOW by far the best vegan cheese Ive ever had.

So happy!

Pros: Everything, Very hospitable hosts, Lovely to sit out in the small courtyard in the su

Cons: Nothing