Green Gourmet

Contact 02-95195330

115-117 King St, Newtown, New South Wales, 2000

Vegan Chinese restaurant. Yum cha on Saturday and Sunday lunch. Has a buffet bar where food is charged by weight - available at lunch daily and for dinner Tue-Sun nights. Open Mon-Sun 12:00pm-3:00pm, Mon-Sun 6:00pm-10:00pm. Open daily.

Category: Vegan, Chinese, Buffet, Take-out

First Review by janivegan

Buffet style vegan food. - Edit

They offer a buffet style lunch menu that's charged by weight of your plate. Very fair in my opinion.
Weekends offer a Yum Cha style menu.

All of their food is delicious with a spacious eating area that can fill up fast on busy nights.

Customer service is good, but not spectacular.

Pros: Vary pricing based on weight, A wide variety of food, Lots of space

Cons: Customer service is good but not great., Can be hard to get a seat at busy times.

Big and spacious restaurant - Edit

This place has tonnes of seating inside blocking out the main road noise. The food is so yummy with a buffet style self service where you pay by weight or an extensive menu. The menu is very expensive though however if you eat buffet style it's not as bad.

Pros: Much variety, Closed off and indoors

Cons: Expensive

Vegan Heaven - Edit

Green Gourmet is a treasure trove of vegan dishes, and literally blew me away with its extensive menu and interesting dishes. The black bean "fish" was so, well, fishy I had to double check it was vegan. Though I went for a dish from the main menu, the buffet option is a great choice for trying out all the dishes they have to offer, and is an awesome choice for weekend takeaway!

Pros: Range of menu

Cons: Atmosphere lacking

great family and friends joint - Edit

Although it's a little on the pricey side for a la carte, the food is always delicious and the restaurant is always clean and welcoming.

For a cheaper meal, try the lunchtime buffet :)

All your Chinese foods made vegan - Edit

I like Green Gourmet IF and when I have a craving for Asian vegan fast food - which is rare. The buffet provides all of that, and the sit-down menu, it's reasonably priced too. I'm not a fan of mock meats or processed foods but if I were vegan during my uni days I would've been here a lot of the time chilling with mates or solo, reading and eating. Atmosphere is really nice and relaxed but I have come here for takeaway mostly.

Pros: Vegan, Cheap, Quiet & relaxed atmosphere

Cons: Processed

Delicious vegan Chinese food - Edit

Green Gourmet is always a fun fining experience. I enjoy the appetizers / entrees the most here, which has lots of different delicious options. The steamed buns, rice paper rolls, dim sim, nori cutlets and dumplings are all great, as it the wonton soup. The salads are light, healthy & delicious. And although I am not generally a big fan of mock meat, the Beijing roast duck is nice for a fun treat, and is very tasty.

As has been noted in other reviews, there is lots of mock meat & fried dishes on the menu, but it is possible to avoid these given how extensive the menu is. Some dishes I think are a bit overpriced, but in general I think Green Gourmet represents pretty good value.

I have also tried the buffet, which has pretty limited options that rarely rotate. It can also look a bit sad past 8pm, with some trays often quite empty. For takeaway, the rice paper rolls & dim sims are good choices.

Overall I like the dining experience that Green Gourmet offers.

Pros: 100% vegan, Extensive menu with pictures, Large portions

Cons: A little heavy on mock meats

Typical slimy processed foods - Edit

We went here considering the good reviews, on the premise it may be different, but in the end it followed the trend of a typical slimy processed foods place you can expect from similar eastern style vegan establishments.

Has an alright store next door, but pretty much everything contains palm or coconut oil (palm and coconut are both responsible for indonesia's deforestation).

If you are to have the buffet there, have it as early as possible to the start of the buffet, as the food goes cold and old as is not turned over and the heating mustn't work that well, the food just sits there, it's the same food the entire time. They said the buffet starts at 6pm (how long it sits there before the buffet starts is another question), we ordered at about 8.15pm or so, and weren't pleased after tasting the food. We ended up getting half our money back and leaving.

Maybe if you like the typical slimy processed foods scene, you'll like it, otherwise, this place is no different, so give it a miss.

Cons: Processed, Slimy, Cold

2 Responses

miawmiaw 05 Aug 2015 - Please have better understanding about palm oil. Not all palm oil come from deforestation. A lot of palm oil is actually produced in old plantations from the earlier years.
Please do not stereotype. Thank you.

veganvirtues 03 Mar 2017 - Hi Balupton, did you make your negative comments to the owner of staff at GG?He is always there and all speak English.Have eaten here sometime ago was always pleased with what I got. I certainly will dine there this weekend.

Too meaty! - Edit

In my opinion the food all taste a bit the same. I don't find it feels healthy. And there are certain things there I simply can not eat as they are so so meaty! It really grosses me out!

Hey, but that's just me! Go make up your own mind… you may love it!

Have a lovely day.

Cheerio!

Pros: no meat

Cons: taste like meat, kinda greasy, doesn't feel healthy

Delicious! - Edit

It's surprising to see a mix of positive and negative reviews about Green Gourmet, because I have always loved this place! The buffet has been great in my experience - varied, well stocked, with many enticing options. Rice paper rolls especially good. The laksa from the menu is my boyfriend's favorite, the vegetables are sliced very long and thin and mixed with the noodles, which he loves! The food is prepared in a fresh style, not all greasy, as sometimes happens with Chinese food.

Pros: delicious food, yum cha and buffet is fun & interesting

Cons: a little pricey

Return to Newtown Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Green Gourmet closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.