Green Goddess

Contact 504-301-3347

307 Exchange Pl, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA, 70130

Serves meat, vegan options available. Small, eclectic restaurant tucked away on a side street away from the noise of Bourbon St. The food is varied and includes several lacto-veg choices. Expect a wait at peak times. Confirmed open Dec 2016. Open Wed-Sun 11:00am-9:00pm.

Category: Lacto, Beer/Wine, Southern American, Non-veg

First Review by flitterwochen

Outdoor seating, friendly staff, coffee not good - Edit

Small, limited vegan choice of vegan items (tofu, mushrooms, beetroot paste), superbly done. Haven in a completely non-vegan city, located in nice side street in the middle of the French Quarter. Alternative, friendly staff. Outdoor seating only. Garlic can be reduced if you ask for it. Visitors from Cologne, Germany: They have a beer that is brewed like Kölsch (Cologne) beer by the name of "Ragin' Cajuns". The coffee, however, is very not good (roasted to death on the heat plate).

Updated from previous review on 2017-02-18

Pros: small, outdoor, alternative

Cons: coffee roasted to death on heat plate (hours?)

small alternative cafe - Edit

I happened to stumble upon this place down a side street when wandering around the French quarter but later found out I had it saved in my favourites anyway! They had some great, quirky vegan food such as a mushroom/Orange pate for starter, and a curry pancake as a main course. the coconut sorbet banana split is heavenly! I would definitely recommend this place to vegans in nola even though it isn't fully vegan.

Pros: interesting vegan options which are tasty! good pl

Cons: not much inside seating, and its quite smelly insi

Deserves to be 5 stars - Edit

I'm whole-plant vegan but let's face it -- most of my friends and family eat dead animals. So when we're traveling, it's a godsend to find a place like Green Goddess. It has wonderful vegan dishes and salads, while at the same the meat-eaters can find stuff they want, too. Everyone is happy. Also it's great fun to eat outside in the French Quarter. I would rate this 5 stars if I could.

Pros: Vegan po poys, Choices for your meat-eating friends, Outside seating in the French Quarter

Cons: Parking (duh)

Amazing Vegan Tofu Po-boy - Edit

The tofu Po-boy was great! Had it twice while we were in New Orleans. I also loved the vegan Bloody Mary. The mushroom pâté was nice and so was the Cuban sandwich but it was no where near as good as the Po-boy.

Good food - dingy atmosphere - Edit

The food at Green Goddess is tasty, and they have several vegetarian/vegan options. We had the beet hummus, which was an interesting flavor, the rolled uttapam (which even though they said was mildly spicy I think was moderate), and tofu musubi.

The food was good and service was good. The place is very small and kind of dingy. I think they are trying to go for a kind of eclectic hipster vibe, and I guess they have that going on, but they could make it look less of a dive.

Good lunch - Edit

I had the tofu poboy, which was really tasty. It had pickled onions and capers, which added a nice little bit of zing. The side salad the came with the sandwich was also really tasty and had well-balanced flavors.

The one drawback is that the place is very small. So be prepared to take your food to go or to wait a while for a table.

Pros: tasty sandwich

Cons: small

Closed Two Days a Week - Edit

We were surprised to find so many restaurants closed Mondays and Tuesdays in this city of the world. We had wanted to try this one but could not.

Pros: vegan options

Cons: limited hours

Quiet place - Edit

It was a nice location. The reason I had to rate it low was because our service was terrible. We asked for our waitress to bring us straws for our drinks, but she ignored us. Finally my mom got up and grabbed some herself after 7 minutes. The food was good. The appetizer was delicious with a nice spice flare to it. Finally towards the end of our meal another waitress picked up the slack but we still had to wait forever for our bill. A little pricy but not too bad.

Pros: food , ambiance

Cons: service- server was terrible

We like this place - Edit

I read the bad reviews and I'd say if your vegan, stay away. If on the other hand, you are veg. I think you'll be happy.

Yes, they serve meat but we've been there several times and always were able to put together a nice veg. meal.

It is located in the quarter and the prices are higher than some other places but if you are going someplace in the quarter and want as nice veg meal, this is the place.

Pros: Tasty Veg Options, Good drinks (as in alcohol), Very friendly service

Cons: A little pricey, Outdoor only tables

Filthy - food ok - Edit

This place is really quite disgusting in terms of cleanliness. So much so that it put me off my food - which was an ok Bahn Mi. It looked like it had not been swept or mopped for a while and there is a thin layer of grime over everything. Don't get me started on the restrooms. The girls working there were pleasant (which is why it gets a two not a one). Won't be back.

Cons: Filthy

Delicious soup and dessert! - Edit

I had the roasted tomato soup. It was by far the best tomato soup I have had! The entree was also delicious (I forget the name). It was a curry rolled in a crispy crepe. The banana foster was the best dessert I have had in NOLA.

Pros: the main entree was large enough for two to share

Cons: closed Tuesday night (learned the hard way)

Great food! - Edit

For an easy lunch without to much fuss, we decided to try the Green Goddess. We ordered a sandwich and the uttapam. Both were very delicious, and the place is highly recommendable. We got the food to go, which was no problem at all. The portion size was perfect.

Inventive, local, NOLA flavor - Edit

Last night, there were two vegan entrees, one soup, one appetizer, one dessert, and likely many substitutions could be made to the salads and other options to veganize them. This tiny hole in the wall is pretty typical of where one can find amazing food - either here or, for example, in other countries. If you avoid a place because they focus their efforts on providing fresh, amazing food rather than on the atmosphere and linens, more room for me!
You're so close to the chef inside that she can discuss her pickling recipes with you, and the bartender will come discuss the various options for your drink order. The wrapped Indian entree was fabulous, the sangria fresh and strong, the coconut sorbet delicately flavored. We went early (6:30) and had the place to ourselves until the fashionably late diners started to arrive.
Highly recommended. Prices are comparable.

Pros: Friendly staff, inventive menu

Cons: small - come early!

Delicious Veggie Food in the French Quarter - Edit

I don't know about the bad experience some previous reviewers had, but I stumbled upon this little oasis in the French Quarter on a recent trip to New Orleans and was very pleasantly surprised. There were several vegan and vegetarian dishes which are clearly marked, along with other menu items that indicated if they could be made veg-friendly.

I actually went twice in one week because I enjoyed it so much. On those occasions I had a wonderful rolled uttapam (an Indian-style savory crepe with curry filling), a hearty Italian squash soup, a rich corn chowder, a flavorful pomegranate beet hummus with thinly sliced local vegetables and crispy breads, and an inventive freekeh salad. Everything was fresh, artfully prepared, and, most importantly, delicious. I could have gone back a third time had they not been closed on my last opportunity.

The only drawback is their space is small. They have a number of outdoor tables but indoor seating is limited if outdoor isn't an option due to weather. Prices are comparable to other downtown NOLA spots.

I highly recommend this restaurant for anyone traveling to New Orleans who is looking for an alternative to fried food in the French Quarter. This was top notch!
Updated from previous review on Thursday November 13, 2014

Updated from previous review on Thursday November 13, 2014

Pros: French Quarter location, Excellent food, Veg options clearly marked

Cons: Limited seating, On the spendier side, Closed Mon. & Tues.

Avoid. Not Veg Friendly. - Edit

I have concluded that the name "Green Goddess" is the only factor qualifying this establishment as veg-friendly. Given that, I strongly urge the curators of Happy Cow to remove this establishment from its database. It is not qualified to be listed as veg-friendly.

Many Thanks,
KBN

Return to New Orleans Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Green Goddess closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.