Green Goddess

Contact 504-301-3347

307 Exchange Pl, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA, 70130

Serves meat, vegan options available. Small, eclectic restaurant tucked away on a side street away from the noise of Bourbon St. The food is varied and includes several lacto-veg choices. Expect a wait at peak times. Wed-Sun 11:00am-9:00pm

Category: Lacto, Beer/Wine, Southern American, Non-veg

First Review by flitterwochen

Amazing Vegan Tofu Po-boy - Edit

The tofu Po-boy was great! Had it twice while we were in New Orleans. I also loved the vegan Bloody Mary. The mushroom pâté was nice and so was the Cuban sandwich but it was no where near as good as the Po-boy.

Good food - dingy atmosphere - Edit

The food at Green Goddess is tasty, and they have several vegetarian/vegan options. We had the beet hummus, which was an interesting flavor, the rolled uttapam (which even though they said was mildly spicy I think was moderate), and tofu musubi.

The food was good and service was good. The place is very small and kind of dingy. I think they are trying to go for a kind of eclectic hipster vibe, and I guess they have that going on, but they could make it look less of a dive.

Good lunch - Edit

I had the tofu poboy, which was really tasty. It had pickled onions and capers, which added a nice little bit of zing. The side salad the came with the sandwich was also really tasty and had well-balanced flavors.

The one drawback is that the place is very small. So be prepared to take your food to go or to wait a while for a table.

Pros: tasty sandwich

Cons: small

Closed Two Days a Week - Edit

We were surprised to find so many restaurants closed Mondays and Tuesdays in this city of the world. We had wanted to try this one but could not.

Pros: vegan options

Cons: limited hours

Quiet place - Edit

It was a nice location. The reason I had to rate it low was because our service was terrible. We asked for our waitress to bring us straws for our drinks, but she ignored us. Finally my mom got up and grabbed some herself after 7 minutes. The food was good. The appetizer was delicious with a nice spice flare to it. Finally towards the end of our meal another waitress picked up the slack but we still had to wait forever for our bill. A little pricy but not too bad.

Pros: food , ambiance

Cons: service- server was terrible

We like this place - Edit

I read the bad reviews and I'd say if your vegan, stay away. If on the other hand, you are veg. I think you'll be happy.

Yes, they serve meat but we've been there several times and always were able to put together a nice veg. meal.

It is located in the quarter and the prices are higher than some other places but if you are going someplace in the quarter and want as nice veg meal, this is the place.

Pros: Tasty Veg Options, Good drinks (as in alcohol), Very friendly service

Cons: A little pricey, Outdoor only tables

Filthy - food ok - Edit

This place is really quite disgusting in terms of cleanliness. So much so that it put me off my food - which was an ok Bahn Mi. It looked like it had not been swept or mopped for a while and there is a thin layer of grime over everything. Don't get me started on the restrooms. The girls working there were pleasant (which is why it gets a two not a one). Won't be back.

Cons: Filthy

Delicious soup and dessert! - Edit

I had the roasted tomato soup. It was by far the best tomato soup I have had! The entree was also delicious (I forget the name). It was a curry rolled in a crispy crepe. The banana foster was the best dessert I have had in NOLA.

Pros: the main entree was large enough for two to share

Cons: closed Tuesday night (learned the hard way)

Great food! - Edit

For an easy lunch without to much fuss, we decided to try the Green Goddess. We ordered a sandwich and the uttapam. Both were very delicious, and the place is highly recommendable. We got the food to go, which was no problem at all. The portion size was perfect.

Inventive, local, NOLA flavor - Edit

Last night, there were two vegan entrees, one soup, one appetizer, one dessert, and likely many substitutions could be made to the salads and other options to veganize them. This tiny hole in the wall is pretty typical of where one can find amazing food - either here or, for example, in other countries. If you avoid a place because they focus their efforts on providing fresh, amazing food rather than on the atmosphere and linens, more room for me!
You're so close to the chef inside that she can discuss her pickling recipes with you, and the bartender will come discuss the various options for your drink order. The wrapped Indian entree was fabulous, the sangria fresh and strong, the coconut sorbet delicately flavored. We went early (6:30) and had the place to ourselves until the fashionably late diners started to arrive.
Highly recommended. Prices are comparable.

Pros: Friendly staff, inventive menu

Cons: small - come early!

Delicious Veggie Food in the French Quarter - Edit

I don't know about the bad experience some previous reviewers had, but I stumbled upon this little oasis in the French Quarter on a recent trip to New Orleans and was very pleasantly surprised. There were several vegan and vegetarian dishes which are clearly marked, along with other menu items that indicated if they could be made veg-friendly.

I actually went twice in one week because I enjoyed it so much. On those occasions I had a wonderful rolled uttapam (an Indian-style savory crepe with curry filling), a hearty Italian squash soup, a rich corn chowder, a flavorful pomegranate beet hummus with thinly sliced local vegetables and crispy breads, and an inventive freekeh salad. Everything was fresh, artfully prepared, and, most importantly, delicious. I could have gone back a third time had they not been closed on my last opportunity.

The only drawback is their space is small. They have a number of outdoor tables but indoor seating is limited if outdoor isn't an option due to weather. Prices are comparable to other downtown NOLA spots.

I highly recommend this restaurant for anyone traveling to New Orleans who is looking for an alternative to fried food in the French Quarter. This was top notch!
Updated from previous review on Thursday November 13, 2014

Updated from previous review on Thursday November 13, 2014

Pros: French Quarter location, Excellent food, Veg options clearly marked

Cons: Limited seating, On the spendier side, Closed Mon. & Tues.

Avoid. Not Veg Friendly. - Edit

I have concluded that the name "Green Goddess" is the only factor qualifying this establishment as veg-friendly. Given that, I strongly urge the curators of Happy Cow to remove this establishment from its database. It is not qualified to be listed as veg-friendly.

Many Thanks,
KBN

In Brief- No - Edit

bad and ridiculously expensive- do not go here. i read the review from 2011 and hoped they had improved- sadly it is exactly the same: bad food, cramped and dingy atmosphere, overpriced.

Pros: friendly distracted staff

Cons: bad food, cramped and dingy, very overprice

Vegan dishes available - Edit

I found a couple of vegan dishes on the menu that were quite nice--perhaps some dishes were added since the last person reviewed this? It is not easy to find plasce to eat in NOLA that have any vegetarian dishes--so beggars can't be choosers. I did find this place among the best in the area. Service was not quick, but the al fresco dining was pleasant, and the Big Easy is not a place for people in a rush.

Pros: A couple of vegan options, What was there tasted good, Nice atmosphere

Cons: Not cheap

Pass This One By - Edit

Don't know how this even qualifies to be a veg restaurant. Most dishes have meat, and vegan alternatives are almost non existent. We found the staff to be neither vegetarian or knowledgeable. Expensive food, barely passable. We had the equivalent of a small pancake and 2 tiny collard green sandwiches. And the bill? THIRTY DOLLARS???!!! Save your money and your time. With a little more checking (on Happy Cow) we found many better alternatives. If you have a choice, you do NOT want to eat here.

Pros: Friendly staff

Cons: Small vegetarian selection, Almost all meat menu, Very cramped quarters

2 Responses

JohnKeith Hi Flitterwochen:

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you. We were only in NOLA one time, although we are going back this December. We spent our whole visit in and around the French Quarter, so we are only familiar with this area. Our favorite was O Vegasm, unfortunately, it has closed, but if you check the owner's facebook page, he may be able to direct you to where he is now. He is John Morales, great guy, and incredible cook. As well, O Vegasm still has their webpage. Other places we ate were Country Flame, and LOVED it. I did notice it didn't receive the same reviews from other customers, but we will definitely try it again. As well, 1 13 was great, typical pub fare, but vegan and delicious. Bennachin has great West African food, not much of a vegan selection, and a nice atmosphere. As well, we found vegan options just by reading the menus posted and checking with the staff. Definitely NOLA is not the easiest place to be vegan, but most of the food we found (outside of Green Goddess, which was pathetic) was very good. Hope this helps, and check out John Morales on Facebook

Lovely Dining Experience - Edit

We had a beautiful meal. I agree with other reviewers re: price for amount of food, but the dishes were very creative and delicious. Service was excellent, and the view outdoors is wonderful. A high point was the Saturn Calling dessert- just magnificent!

Pros: ambiance, quality ingredients, good service

Cons: pricy, small portions, small indoor area in poor weather

Tasty and interesting but overpriced - Edit

My husband and I found Green Goddess as a recommended option for vegetarians - we stayed near the French Quarter and finding vegetarian options was not that easy, especially since we do not eat eggs.

I agree that the service is quite slow, and the place is tiny - we definitely had to wash all our clothes afterwards - they smelled like meat, absolutely disgusting!

The meal itself we found very good - I like South Indian food and I found the lentil pancake great! The portions were small so we also ordered beet ravioli, some veggies and the dessert. All of the items were excellent and nicely presented. The problem was their size and price.... I would not probably come back because I do not like to spend so much money of a meal. But I am glad we had this experience. Hopefully the prices will go down with time and maybe the restaurant will start offering some free appetizers, for example :)
Updated from previous review on Wednesday June 08, 2011

Pros: interesting options, well done, good presentation

Cons: price, bad smell, small quantities

disappointed! - Edit

There were very few options for vegetarians, and we had walked miles to get there. We were seated at the end of a line of tables in the alley which was ok but dark and when we asked if we could move to a vacant lighter spot, the wait person said "I am going to say 'no' . We hadn't eaten yet!
The food was really for meat eaters. We ordered a couple of over priced appetizers- spent too much and left sad. Unpleasant vibe.

Pros: name, seeming creativity of chef

Cons: waitstaff attitude, not much veg food, over hyped

Not much else in New Orleans - Edit

Like others have said, there is hardly any choice on the menu for vegans. They do know what "vegan" means, but that doesn't exactly mean they have much to accommodate vegans. The manager did say that he was looking into including more vegan items on the menu in the future, though.

I had spiced potatoes with veggies and the lentil pancake for dinner. The veggies were good with cajun spicing. The pancake was interesting.

Not sure if I'd go back. It is really expensive.

Pros: friendly

Cons: expensive, not much for vegans

not bad - Edit

The place is small and can get crowded, but there is outside seating and the inside is pleasant to look at. It's true, there are barely any vegan options on the menu. (Beware of animal ingredients posed nonchalantly in otherwise vegetable dishes.) However, when I told the waitress that I was vegan, she said, "No problem. We can make whatever you choose vegan. I can just write it on your order." I was pretty delighted about this. I ordered this lentil pancake thing, which came with a variety of exciting spices, some sort of vinaigrette, and a few crunchy vegetables scattered in. It was pretty alright, but nothing so amazing that I wanted another one. I probably won't eat there again, but if you are in dire need of some food in the French Quarter and spot The Green Goddess up the alley, it will satisfy your hunger just fine.

Pros: know what vegan is, decent lentil pancake

Cons: pricey, fried smell gets in your clothes, limited choices

thumbs down - Edit

The vegan options for lunch were a lentil pancake or a modification of their cuban sandwich. I chose the former -- bad idea. The spices were so disgusting I couldn't eat more than two bits. Despite my desire to politely finish and avoid complaining, it was hard to avoid since only one forkful was missing from the plate when they took it away. Vegans don't go here.

Cons: small, dirty

An option, in a town with few - Edit

This restaurant has a very interesting menu, which can change based on what produce is in season. They have many non-meat, lacto options. The service is slow (maybe they have to wrangle the cactus, in order to make nopales?). The chutneys and compotes are divine. Check out the menu at www.greengoddessnola.com.
They don't open until 11AM, so brunch/lunch option only, and serve dinner on Thur-Sun only. Closed Tues.

Pros: Veg-options, local ingredients, beautiful patio

Cons: slow service, small interior, pricey drinks

Return to New Orleans Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Green Goddess closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2565 times since Oct 2010.