CLOSED: Green Earth Vegetarian Cuisine - Ottawa

613-563-2784

354A Preston Street (at Aberdeen St), Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1S4M7

Ottawa vegan restaurant offering an all-you-can-eat lunch buffet on weekdays as well as on the first Sunday of the month, in addition to an extensive menu that's available. Also a location in Toronto. All vegan as of June 2011. SHUT DOWN MAR 2014.

Category: Vegan, International, Buffet, Take-out, Asian

First Review by CaroB

Sad - Edit

Hi. Been going there for the past 5 years!

Lately the buffet went out,

I been going there like 2-3 time a week for the past 7 months,,,and was not able to go for the past week,,,then i went yesterday!!

Sadly a sign in the window. Saying its now close. Since this past monday march 10 2014

I was very sad to see this.......

Hope they will re open one day

Thanks for the great food and friendly service

Marco

Lola Crumpet 05 Apr 2014 - Nooooooo! Best hot and sour soup in town. Will knock the illness out of you if coming down with something.

Mock meats - Edit

Great that its a 100% vegan restaurant, but almost every dish has a meat or dairy analogue, hence is highly processed. Lunch all-you-can eat weekday buffet is cancelled. Tied to a fringe vegetarian/vegan religion, but you are never approached to join or harassed. I wish the restaurant has a GMO Policy, because I suspect the tofu is genetically modified. I also find most dishes spicy, even though they aren't labelled as such. On my most recent visit, the food was tasty but a bit oily. The noodles are always tasty. Service seemed a bit slow, but is usually prompt. Service is always friendly. I don't recommend sitting near the door in winter.
Updated from previous review on Friday January 27, 2012

Pros: vegan 100%, friendly service

Cons: processed (meat analogues), genetically modified soy?

This place is alright... - Edit

I ordered the fettuccine deluxe (Spinach Fettucine with soy steaks and salad). It was not amazing, but it was pretty good. And there was no dressing on the salad.

On the other hand, the cheesecake is PERFECT!

Pros: Vegan Cheesecake, Outdoor seating, Cheap

Disappointed - Edit

The food was very bland and the bread was sub par.
The bread seemed like there was a good chance that it wasn't vegan & I don't plan on going back anytime soon.

Cons: bland food, probably not vegan, overpriced

Disappointed - Edit

I read some amazing reviews about this place so I was very excited to try it as my first vegan restaurant experience.
Boy, do I wish I didn't go.
My boyfriend (who isn't vegan) and I went on the first Sunday of the month which is when the big buffet is supposed to be, I say supposed to because there was about 6 items to choose from, 7 tops. This confused us because we were told this is when the big buffet was, when they have the most selection. So how much exactly do they have on a normal day?
What confused us further after this was none of the food was labeled. I have no idea what I ate there that day.
The food was alright, I am not a big fan of faux meat and that seems to be a focus of theirs.
The place was clean, and I liked the decor. The seating was a little strange but for such a small building they made good use of the space.
Lastly, the people who worked there were awesome, I didn't have the heart to tell the girl how disappointed I was. When she asked me if I liked the faux chicken they apparently had there I said yes, though I honestly don't know if I even had any of it.
Good place if you don't mind a very small selection.

Pros: Downtown Ottawa, Clean, Friendly

Cons: Smallest buffet

lunch buffet - expected more.... - Edit

i chose this restaurant for our family trip to ottawa, for the lunch buffet, based on the HC reviews.

while the place was nice and clean, and the food was tasty, I was a bit disappointed. the choice was very limited for a buffet and it was almost entirely asian food. (we were planningh for an asian restaurant for dinner)

I am not sure i would return, because of the very limited options.

I must mention that the staff were very nice (the service), and accommodated us to use a private room for a nappy change :), as the bathroom did not have a changing station

Pros: tasty food, clean place, friendly staff

Cons: very limited options for lunch buffet, mostly asian food for lunch buffet, no diaper change station in the bathroom

Best Vegan/ Meat Eater Friendly Restaurant! - Edit

The reason I say meat friendly restaurant is because this place has the best veggie/mock meat I have ever tasted. As I can remember the taste of meat, I can compare. The dishes are not expensive because the food is very savoury. My favourite dishes there are crispy nuggets(taste like real nuggets), crispy crescents (vegan prawns SO AMAZING), orange imagination (chik'un balls like from the chinese restaurant in amazing sauce with rice and veggies on side), joy luck special and green earth rotisserie are both chik'un breasts but with different sauces. There are just vegetable dishes as well like eggplant medley and amazing wonton soup. Their pad thai and chow mein is very popular as well. My favourite dessert there is their homemade thai banana rolls. MMM toppedoff with vegan vanilla ice cream and chocolate syrup. I go there for buffet as well and it is always something delicious, all you can eat. If you have any questions about food, ASK servers about your taste. (They have lots of gluten free option as well)

Pros: Amazing Food, Not expensive , Heart of Little Italy

Cons: A bit dark lighted, Closed Tuesday

Seriously awesome Food! - Edit

We tried the Thanksgiving plate for one person which included faux turkey with stuffing, autumn veggies, harvest soup, mashed potatoes with mushroom gravy and a delicious punk in cheesecake - all vegan and absolutely delicious. We also had the chick'un burger that was incredible in itself but the hand cut Fries took it over the top. Can't say enough good things about this place!!

Pros: Delicious, Healthy

Good Selection and Excellent Value - Edit

Friendly place with quiet and efficient service. Tried the Sour soup... it was excellent, with lot's of shitake slices. My wife and daughter tried the Buddha burger and enjoyed them, The rainbow soup was also good. Fresh juices too! Overall a pleasant experience, with the only real off note being the whole grain rice, which should be rinsed a little more prior to cooking (to remove the "off" flavours. Amazing value for money. We will eat here again!
Updated from previous review on Wednesday August 08, 2012

Pros: Great Value & Great Service, Good Selection, Good Sized Portions

Cons: A Little Dark and Worn in the interior

Tasty, Great Servers, A Lot of Faux Meats - Edit

I ate twice here recently...once for lunch on a weekend and once for supper on a weekday. I ordered off the "rice corner" section of the menu both times, and both main dishes were tasty and generous in size.

The "three flavours" with brown rice was outstanding...I would order this again. The "sweet and sour" dish was good, but I didn't like the faux meat. Next time I would order it with tofu.

I tried the carrot cake, but the piece was small and it was dry. I had a tropical smoothie, but I tasted more banana than anything else. I ordered the summer rolls, only to find that they come with lettuce...something I can't eat and that is not listed on the menu.

If you are fond of faux meat, you will find a lot of options. If you are not, you will need to substitute tofu for the faux meat. There are very few dishes offered without tofu or faux meat.

The servers were very friendly and efficient. The only complaint I have about the service is that the meals arrived a few minutes apart. I assume this relates to the kitchen staff and not to the servers.

Pros: Large portions (rice corner), Friendly servers, Large range of faux meats

Cons: Most items based on faux meat or tofu, Lettuce in summer rolls (not on menu!), Meals arrive one at a time

Expanding Horizions - Edit

Green Earth is both in Ottawa and Toronto. Their lunch buffet is generous and delicious. Their menu is good too. Service is good, sometimes slow, but always kind and considerate. It is on our list and we highly recommend the Green Earth. Far better than the other restaurants that surround it!

Pros: Good location, Good food, Good srvice

Cons: Hard to park

One of our Fav veggie restaurants - Edit

We all love love love Green Earth and have been going there for a few years now. We regularly go to their Toronto location and when we are in Ottawa, we also visit the location there. My daughter, who goes to Trent University in Peterborough, comes back to Toronto at least once a month, not to see us, but to go to Green Earth! Huge menu, but probably my favourite is the curry and veggies. A bit hot too, but just right. My favourite appetizers are the veggie nuggets and the spring and summer rolls. Oh, such good soups too. And can't forget the desserts...the vegan chocolate cheesecake is delicisous as is the chocolate cake. Haven't tries any others, but certainly they are good as well.

Pros: delicous food, nice ambience, pleasant staff

Cons: not enough locations

Not the best buffet experience - Edit

We went there on Monday afternoon at around 1.30pm. The buffet closed at 2pm and the restaurant closed at 2.30pm. But when the time we arrived, they were already ran out of food. Basically left only half bowl of brown and white rice, some turnip and carrot soup and a plate of water melon. i asked the waitress whether those food will be refilled and she said the kitchen was working on it now. So we decided to stay. After waited for a while, they refilled a small portion of each: stir fried brocolli and carrot, french fries, salad, mock meat and tofu and salad rolls. The refilled portions were small and there were 4 tables including us, around 11 persons there. So things ran out soon. Basically we had the buffet but left feeling still hungry. There was only one waitress too, so basically they were lacking of staff. The food wasn't particullar good too, may be because they were just 'refilled' so was done in a hurry. So for buffet lunch, may be people should go before 1pm since they started at 11 or 11.30am.

Pros: Clean, Ambience

Cons: Service, Food management

green earth - Edit

normally I'm not really a mock meat fan, but when I am in the mood for it this is the place I go to. Their fake chicken/duck/whatever it's supposed to be is quite good! I've gone to the buffet a few times (they do a lunchtime buffet during the week for under $10 and the first Sunday of the month they do a dinner buffet for $12.95 I think) and it's hit or miss. Generally the fake poultry is a safe bet but some of the stuff isn't as great. It's a real mix of foods. Generally asian inspired but I have had mashed potatoes (that tasted like instant??) there before. I've had the Green Earth Rotisserie off the menu a few times and it's been consistently good so sticking with the menu is a safe bet if you don't want to chance the buffet (you can always go back and take a look at it and decide).

Their desserts are....odd. I have not had one that I've liked unfortunately. They garnish the cake with a grape tomato which is kind of weird. And sometimes they'll put a weird gelatinous thing in the buffet.

It's a nice little area too, despite living not that far away I rarely make it down to Preston. If the weather is good there's a patio out front that's really nice to eat on.

Pros: good prices, friendly , good fake meat

Cons: Supreme Master TV, kind of creepy, a little hit or miss with the buffet

KD 17 Mar 2012 - Was the garnish some type of fruit or berry, by chance? My cake was garnished with a fruit or berry (I'm not sure what type) with the green leafy portion still attached. It was round, reddish, and only slightly smaller than a grape tomato, so I could see how the two could be confused.

Nice plate to have dinner. - Edit

I don't know how is the lunch buffet. I went there for dinner. If you don't like fake meat and fried items, check the menu carefully. I've been able to order a really nice plate by talking to the server, because i was not sure of what i would get. I first had a really great salad, with greens, avocado, strawberry, apples, nuts, that was fresh and tasty. We got fresh juices ( carrot/ginger ). Then we ordered rice with grilled veggie and tofu brochettes. It tasted great. The desserts we chose, cheesecake and almond/chocolate were both vegan and came with vanilla soy ice cream. I liked how everything was nicely presented. Nothing i never tasted before, but they have a way to set up plates, and some personnal touches that i appreciated. The service was quick and lovely. I would recommand that place for dinner ; enjoy a fresh juice, a dessert, and order a plate with non-fried food, and that can be a nice experience.

Truly Bad - Edit

Just bad. Bad food and it was all cold. There was one thing I ate which had a little bit of heat to it. Probably the second worst vegetarian fare I've ever had.

Cons: Food is cold, buffet consists of french fries etc

Good restaurant - Edit

My husband and I had been to the Toronto Green Earth restaurant a few times, and enjoyed it. The menu is the same (or almost the same) as the Ottawa restaurant. The Ottawa restaurant is in a slightly nicer area, and is bigger and feels a little more upscale, as well. The staff was friendly. We went on Valentine's Day, and didn't end up ordering the special prix fixe menu, but it looked really good. I wish we'd been able to go for the buffet, but we were only in town for a couple of nights. Recommended!

Pros: Friendly staff, tasty food, few non-vegan options

Cons: Not the healthiest food

Not bad - Edit

Good selection, most of what I have tried is excellent. Buddha Burger excellent, best burger ever! Fried terrible. Service not so great. They do things like bring the food out as it is ready rather than all at once so you have people eating and done before others even get their food and if they wait then it's cold. Anyone running a restaurant should know this stuff. They are obviously trying to be very friendly, which is great but it can be extremely persistent in doing so and it can get tiring when you just want to eat. I sometimes hear a kid running around in the kitchen. I'm sure that is a violation of health and safety laws and it makes me concerned whether it is clean and sanitary in there. So, a bit of a mixed bag, but the food is generally really good and this place is worth a try.

Pros: Selection, Good food

Cons: Service practices

Return to Ottawa Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Green Earth Vegetarian Cuisine - Ottawa closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.