Green Cottage

Contact 852-2982-6934

26 G/F Main St, Yung Shue Wan, Lamma Island, Outlying Islands, Hong Kong, China,

Cafe and store near Yung Shue Wan ferry pier, established since 1997 on Lamma Island. Serves wholesome vegetarian food and drinks.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Take-out

First Review by JohnnySensible

Green Cottage, Lamma Island, Hong Kong - Edit

I spun along here for some dinner this afternoon. This was a very positive experience. I can see why this place is popular.

1stly it was hot and humid. I was offered outdoor seating but due to the humidity I asked if there was an area with air con available. No issue and I was escorted to the area at the very back of the restaurant.

I was served by a very helpful gent who fortunately for me and my poor standard of Cantonese spoke good English. The menu is also in English with supporting pics for those who like that kind of thing.

There's plenty on the menu to choose from. There's an extensive section on juices and the like as well as other drinks. There's a breakfasts section, pizzas, mains and there's also a specials board that was offer a deal of the day. For 108 hkd it's a choice on the special menu of either soup or salad followed by a main and either a normal tea or coffee (more extravagant teas and coffees incur extra charge).

The menu appeared big on dairy and egg for a humble vegan such as me so I asked for a recommendation. The waiter stepped through the menu with pointing out many dishes that could be made vegan basically by either removing the cheese or the eggs.

I went for the deal of the day and had mushroom soup 1st. very nice. My co diner went for the beetroot salad for which the feedback I am given is it was OK but could have benefited with some extra beetroot. The main was vego bolognese with linguine - very nice also. My co diner asked for a soya latte for a drink and was a little disappointed that there was an additionao charge for soya milk rather than dairy milk.

10% services are added.

As mentioned very enjoyable. Tasty food, helpful and capable service in what is an eatery with a pleasant vibe. If I were to make a couple of suggestions for improvement the additional price for soya milk compared to dairy milk would be better removed.

Updated from previous review on Friday April 03, 2015

Pros: Some vegan friendliness, Helpful staff, Nice vibe

Cons: Extra charge for soya milk, Menu doesn't clarify what's vegan

Good food - Edit

I had walked past here a number of times as it always looked too full, before finally popping in to try it. It is small with 3 types of seating; a huge stone seat in the back part, some tables for two along the side and a couple of seats and tables looking out to the street.
I have been here twice recently and the first time I ordered a burger, which was very tasty and filling and the next time I ordered the menu of the day. There are 3 choices for mains and I chose the lasagne, which was very good indeed.
They do really good drinks, with nice juice combos and also have a range of herbal teas.
The restaurant is also open in the early mornings, with sandwiches displayed on the table by the street.

Pros: Great food, Reasonable prices, Friendly service

Cons: Can be too crowded and full at times

First stop on Lamma Island - to refuel - Edit

Take the ferry from Central to Yung Shue Wan, Lamma Island - as you walk into the village you pass a few gross places - then on your left you will see Green Cottage - with "Fair Taste" coffee's & other Fair Trade products. A place to check your emails gratis whilst you enjoy a drink & a snack before climbing up into the hills. Green Cottage is a blend of mini-cafe & Fair Trade / organic produce shop. Good vibes. Owner is Ron Yiu. His website should be up again soon after a "hack attack" destroyed the content - www.greencottage.net

Return to Outlying Islands Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Green Cottage closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1365 times since Aug 2007.