Green Corner Cafe

Contact n/a

Alemdar Cad Caferiye Sok, Unit 14, Sultanahmet, Istanbul, Turkey, 94572

Serves meat, vegan options available. Has a separate vegetarian menu (in English) with many vegan options such as hummus, eggplant, pizzas, and salads. Quaint little place is right near the Hagia Sophia, Blue Mosque, and the Cistern. Mostly outdoor/patio seating. Open Mon-Sun 12:00am-12:00am, Mon-Sun 11:00am-12:00am.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Pizza, Middle Eastern, Non-veg

First Review by Kimbo

Not really a happy cow type restaurant - Edit

In istanbul this is the 3rd restaurant I see on happy cow that I visit and then I find out they should not really be on happy cow. Waste of time visiting these restaurants if ur vegetarian or vegan. They simply see happy cow as attracting extra customers but its the wrong type of customers for them.

Not veg friendly - Edit

I would not recommend this place. It is not clear that the staff really understand what "vegetarian" means. I ordered something which was suggested by my waiter as a vegetarian option (it was a kind of mezze) and ended up discovering pieces of ham in one of the items. When I pointed this out to the waiter, he responded, "Oh, they are just very small pieces". I really don't think this place should be listed on this website.

Pros: location, outdoor seating

Cons: not many vegetarian options, unreliable vegetarian classification of dishes, unhelpful staff

Not recommended - Edit

We came across this restaurant whilst visiting the Blue Mosque and Basilica Cistern. The location is very good but sadly that is where the positives finish.

I don't feel the Green Corner should be listed on Happy Cow. The vegetarian options were very limited and the vegan choices pretty much non existent unless you wanted a side salad or houmous. Staff did not understand vegan requirements. No soya milk for hot drinks either.

Staff were surly and unfriendly. The service left a lot to be desired and we only had a drink there as the menu wasn't suitable. The tea my sister ordered came with bits floating in it, not just tea leaves either. She took these out with a spoon which she poured on to the saucer. When the waiter came to clear the table he snatched the cup and ended up pouring the contents of the saucer all over her top and trousers. He did not apologise and couldn't have cared less.

Definitely not one to go back to nor would I recommend this place to anyone.

Pros: Great location

Cons: Terrible service, No real vegan options , Not worth the prices

Not really vegan friendly - Edit

Unfortunately, this restaurant has limited vegetarian options, staff are not familiar with vegan requirements and the language barrier made veganizing the vegetarian dishes hard (it might be easier for people with a grasp on Turkish). We asked if the mushroom sauté had cheese and were told it didn't, but when it arrived, it was served with cheese on top. The staff were happy to replace my dish, but I still feel horrible every time I waste food like that.

While our food was ultimately tasty and filling, I would not recommend this place to vegans unless they really can't find anything else in the area.

We find it unfortunate that some great vegan-friendly places we have suggested to be on Happy Cow have not made the cut whilst places like this are still featured.

Pros: Nice area

Cons: Not easy to get a vegan meal, Very few veg options, mostly meat

Not green at all. Actually left without ordering. - Edit

From it's name, you would think this place is vegetarian-friendly. Their "vegetarian" section has 4 menu items, all of which have cheese on them.

As a vegan, the option here are hummus and more hummus. We left without ordering.

Cons: Name is a lie

Salads great - Edit

This was a rather 'down at heel' type of place - more like a rather tatty cafe. The vegetarian section of the menu was poor - just forget it. We both had salads and they were really fresh. Mine was 17 lira about 6 pounds sterling which was reasonable considering you're in the heart of a metropolis. We went in the evening and they had run out of various items - no flat bread, no pizzas, no baklava- the owner did say that they are all bought in - or with the flat bread made on the spot- and the lady who makes the flat bread had finished. The apple tea was excellent. They also have hubble bubble pipes and we were able to watch Turkish football on the TV. The owner gave a shawl as it was a bit chilly, which I thought very thoughtful of him.

Pros: Salads, Friendly owner, Next to Hagia Sophia

Cons: Ran out of food, Rather tatty

Lack of green in green corner... - Edit

If you live in a city with absolutely no source of vegan food then yes, this place can be considered somewhat vegan-friendly. But if you, like me, come from a town with a least a couple of vegan options - do not go to Green Corner, unless you want to be disappointed.
Their menu seems fairly big, but they only have a couple of vegetarian options, and when is asked the staff for vegan they had no clue what it was and actually asked me and my girlfriend to leave. When i then said that all i wanted was some kind of mezze with no yoghurt they understood - but their attitude was really bad.
Food was well.... ok. But the prices was really high compared to what it was(just a mezze for 25 TL!), and there was in no way anything fancy or special about it, which i'd expect for that price.

So yeah, avoid this one.

Pros: Location

Cons: Bad staff, Pricey, Lack of knowledge on veganism

Nice relaxing oasis near the Aya Sofia - Edit

Very nice and relaxing outdoor cafe/restaurant just a short walk from the hustle and bustle of the Aya Sofia. The vegetarian menu is very clear and they were helpful in veganising the starter plate for us. Before 8pm, they also serve freshly made Goezleme (a Turkish pancake) that can be eaten vegan with a filling of vegetables (there is a variety available) or with added cheese.

Pros: Outdoor seating under trees, Helpful staff, willing to veganise dishes, Have Goezleme - a change from the usual

Cons: Menu largely the same as other places

Friendly and helpful - Edit

Fully understood vegan requirements. Provided a very nice mixed salad with hummus and chips as requested. Great, friendly service in a noisy location near Hagia Sofia with views of the Blue Mosque.

Pros: Good food, Friendly service, Understand vegan diet

Cons: Noisy, Very near trams/traffic

Return to Istanbul Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Green Corner Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.