Green Break Vegan Restaurant

Contact 638161454

Narrika, 20, Donostia, San Sebastian, Spain, 20003

Little cafe with some counter seating offering vegan take away, opened Dec 2013 by the owners of former Green Break Vegan Shop in Madrid. Offers all vegan food such as Spanish omelet, burritos, burgers, waffles, smoothies, raw food, and cakes. Beverages include organic coffee, wine and beer. Free Wi-Fi. Open Mon 12:30pm-5:00pm, Mon 7:00pm-11:00pm, Tue-Sun 12:30pm-11:30pm.

Category: Vegan, Organic, Western, Fast food, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Spanish

First Review by jonga

Great stop in San Sebastián! - Edit

This is the only vegan place in San Sebastián/ Donostia, the other one was closed. I was really impressed! It's a small and cute little place, the owner is very nice and helpful. They serve organic beer along with great food. As for the food itself I really enjoyed it; I had an awesome salad, lots of components and healthy fats and the hummus with bread-the hummus was fantastic as was the bread they serve with it, so good and very fresh tasting. I do believe this place does a lot of to go orders however there is plenty of seating inside. If I go back to this area I will definitely eat here again, also the portion sizes are huge!

Pros: tasty, fresh food, big portions, serves organic beer

A must go - Edit

Absolutely loved this place. We usually try different restaurants during our stay but here we returned again. They surely know how to cook! We were very pleased by the taste of the burrito, burger and (raw) salads as these could be from a gourmet chef. Portions are quite generous and the owner is friendler than most Spanish waiters we've experienced so far. A must-go when in San Sebastian!

Pros: Delicious, Big portions, Friendly atmosphere

Cons: Small place

Cheap - Edit

It has very affordable menu for 13€ (burger or wrap with salad and drink) but it is like "you get what you pay for". The place is very old and it is like fast food atmosphere, also the meals are not very healthy (please serve less sauces and more veggies), however it is a great option in a center of San Sebastian.

Pros: cheap

Cons: atmosphere, not so healthy

Good food to go - Edit

It's pretty much a fast with healthier and vegan options. My husband and I both had a wrap (I had the gluten free version) and they were very tasty.

Pros: Several food and drink options, Gluten free options, Friendly staff

Cons: Expensive, Fast-food like atmosphere, Very few seats

Great Location - Edit

This place has all the type of food that I love and the location is really good because it´s in the Parte Vieja. However you should eat upstairs or actually use it as a take-away because eating in their basement is not the nicest experience. Besides, the portions are reeeeally big and I wonder how I would have eaten my burger as a take away (way too big to fit in one bite haha). But overall, a good place to check out!

Pros: Location, Assortment, Big size

Cons: Eating in the not so nice basement

so-so - Edit

I was happy to have found this place but I didn't love the burger at all and wasn't even quite sure what it was made out of. I also didn't particularly enjoy the hummus. The portions were WAY too huge for me, so I left probably more than half of what they gave me on the plate and was stuffed. It did feel filling and nutritious. It would also be nicer if they had more choices (there are 4
Main choices I think?) but I guess I can't be picky while eating one of the few 100% veg options in Basque Country! The basement seating was pretty dingy- probably better to take food out and eat it at the beach or in one of the plazas if there isn't room upstairs.

Perfect restaurant!! - Edit

This restaurant is amazing!!! The food is soooo good! I had chance to eat burritos, durum and soja hot dog, humus and potatoes with tomato sauce and alioli sauce. This is soooo tasty!! So yummy!!!
It looks a little expensive but the quantity is enormous!
But don't order too much even if you are hungry! Because it will be too much...

Pros: Super super tasty, Big quantity

Cons: Too much food

Delightful! - Edit

Cosy restaurant with very nice service and delicious food for vegans and celiacs. The portions are really big, it was impossible to save room for dessert. Can't wait to go back and try them! I totally recommend it!

Pros: Tasty food, Friendly service, Reasonable price

Cons: No table service, Bad distribution of tables

Fantástico - Edit

Sitio acogedor, tiene comedor en la planta baja, servicio perfecto. La chica que lo lleva es muy amable, nos asesoró muy bien. La comida de 10, pedimos dos menús 1, con burritos (son muy grandes), crudiespaguetis y hummus, todo riquísimo. Para beber cerveza tostada ecológica. Nos gustó tanto que repetimos al día siguiente, esta vez para llevar, y muy bien organizado, bastante rápido. Esta vez pedimos hamburguesa y patatas y buenísimo también.

Pros: Platos principales muy grandes y contundentes.

Sitio estupendo, personal más que agradable - Edit

Estuvimos mi pareja y yo y nos encantó el sitio. La dueña fue super agradable con nosotros. La comida muy rica y muy abundante. Muy recomendable

Pros: La cantidad y calidad de la comida

Cons: difícil aparcar

Great vegan restaurant in old town of San Sebastian - Edit

I spent 2 days in San Sebastian and had almost all dinners at Green Break.
Everything was great and delicious, I nearly tried all options. My favourite meal was the Burrito, really awesome! The smoothies are also great.
The restaurant is cozy and its localized in the nice old town of San Sebastian. The owner Eva is also a really friendly and interesting person.
Prices are fair, the portions are huge. Eva has also a big sortiment of beers, too.
Best vegan restaurant!

Oasis in a sea of jamon! - Edit

After 3 nights surrounded by jamon and cheese in Basque region, I let out a squeal of delight when we stumbled across this fabulous vegan restaurant! Amazing healthy options and a really friendly team topped off our brilliant and tasty meal. I had the huge burrito, which was filled with all sorts of delicious surprises (including some gorgeous marinated mushrooms) and my husband had an incredible salad complete with raw courgette spaghetti. We've stopped there twice now and can certify the cafe con leche de soja (soya latte) is fantastic too! If you're after some healthy & delicious food - this is the place to go!

Lovely, friendly, yummy - Edit

In a world ruled by chorizo, cheese and other pintxos lies a beacon of veggie-fuelled hope. With friendly staff and picture labeled menu, finding some delicious vegan food is a no-brainer. Large yummy portions are well worth the price. Highly recommend!

Pros: Delicious food, Friendly staff, Convenient placement

Cons: Slightly pricy

expensive, tasty, big portions, poor atmosphere - Edit

I took a menu for 22 Euro including a drink, a smoothie, a burrito and humus. The taste, especially the burrito, was great. The portions were far too big for one meal so I took a lot with me and had dinner as well.
The drink was awful, far too sweet. The green smoothie looked awful as well but tasted ok. The chocolate "tiramisu" was ok but nothing like the taste of a tiramisu.
My body did not react very well on the food. Can´t track it down but could be that the quality is not the highest. Actually at that prices organic food would be appropriate.
The interior is really not welcoming at all. When I was there it was quite loud hardrock playiing, which was also not very cozy, but I liked it. Everything is served in one-way dishes, the desert in some plastic mug. All not very lovely, but as there is few space and it´s a take away maybe one should not expect more.
Updated from previous review on Monday August 17, 2015

Pros: all vegan, taste, big portions

Cons: one way dishes, expensive, atmosphere

lovely place - Edit

First off the owner is very very welcoming. The menu on the wall showed very clearly the choices of food despite being in Spanish :) the food was made in a short time and it was delicious!!! eskerrik asko!!

Pros: take out, cheap, delicious

Really nice organic vegan takeaway!! - Edit

Amazing takeaway with vegan and organic food.
Spelt burger is simply wonderful.All home made.
Also I recommend the Tiramisu and Natural coconut cocktail !!

You order the food to takeaway or enjoy it in a room they have on the ground floor.

I am very happy That there are such fantastic places.
The only bad thing is always is full!!
The staff very friendly, nice and helpful.

Totally recommended if you visit San Sebastian.

Pros: Nice organic-vegan food, Friendly staff, Central location

Cons: Full of people

really gooood - Edit

Despite not so favorable reviews on here, I want to iterate that I had a really great dinner!

And it was really quick. And tasted really good. And even better -- All Vegan!

And I also have to mention the lady who was running it was just lively and I was able to have a great conversation with her in Spanish... Even giving me recommendations of places in Madrid to also try. Though, she also spoke great English and was trying to make everyone in establishment happy... Even though there was one tourist that couldn't understand that there was a tv to watch football on there.

I ate in, as there are tables there (bar tables, and a 4 seater upstairs and another area for seating downstairs), and was glad that it wasn't just a take away place as others had suggested.

I had a meal, burrito and side spaghetti of zucchini, with a juice. 12 Euro or so... Tasted great! I tried their nachos too and the last time I had guac that good was when a local taught me to make it in Mexico.

I'll be back.

From wrong to wrongest - Edit

Totally not recommendable to anyone. The restaurant was not very good at the beginning, and the locals expected it to improve, but it has gone from wrong to wrongest. Long waits for low quality food and really poor attendance has made us give them three oportunities and not one more.

Updated from previous review on Thursday June 04, 2015

Cons: radio music, long waiting, price

Great little take away - Edit

100% Vegan fast food joint with an area to eat in. They also deliver in San Sebastian.

The eating area isn't great (it isn't a restaurant with waiters) but the best plan is get the food to go and eat on La Concha beach or the gardens at Palacio de Miramar if the weather's good.

Great staff, good value, no real negatives at all. One of just a few oases in a city which is a bit of a disaster for vegans.

Pros: Great vegan fast food, Good value, All home made, down to the buns

a very good vegan restaurant - Edit

We had lunch there and were very happy with the food. We had humus, buritos, salad, french fries and sushi. Everything tasted great! It is not a big place, there is one table upstares and a few more downstares. The atmosphere is very pleasant and the staff friendly and efficiant

Pros: food, location, staff

Delicious 'fast food' - Edit

This place is a must try! And start with dessert! The lemon pie was absolutely amazing and one of the best desserts we have had since being vegan! The cream is out of this world and the lemon is perfectly tangy. We had the hot dog and burrito for main which were both delicious. The burrito had loads of vegetables and beans and rice and no too much protein which was the perfect balance. I wouldn't recommend the fries as they were super oily and undercooked but everything else was perfect. We will be back!

Pros: delicious food, friendly staff , English speaking

Very nice - Edit

Delicious food and delicious smoothies with superfoods. The owner of the shop who helped us is also very nice. The food here is defenitely made with love.

Pros: good food, nice staff

Best Place in Town - go there! - Edit

We've been there twice. Real great food, whatever you choose.
And its not expensive, main&side dish + drink (try the cider!) for just 9.95€. Very friendly, good english spoken.
Best Place! Try the Smoothies!

Pros: Great food, many organic options, Very cosy place, english spoken, Friendly staff, fresh food, inexpensive

Cons: too far from my home ;), really: nothing at all

super friendly owner - she made our day! - Edit

We were on a day trip from St. Jean de Luz to San Sebastian this January and we had this place in mind for dinner. We arrived right in the middle of the pause between lunch and dinner (which my fellow Americans, you know is actually right at American dinner time). We were studying the menu and examining the train schedule and thinking we probably didn't have time to catch the later hours, when suddenly the owner stepped outside of the restaurant, swept us inside, cooked us a 5 course meal (salad, gazpacho, appetizer, main course, dessert), told us about vegan restaurants in Spain, and genuinely treated us like visiting family during our private meal in her restaurant. This woman provided the most incredible service ever, and her vegan tiramisu was totally different but rivaled Carmen Ragosta's in Paris....... Good luck with your new restaurant! We will definitely be back!

Pros: rich, creamy, vegan tiramisu, incredibly kind & welcoming owner, best service ever

Perfect semi-fast food - Edit

We really enjoyed the food here. Had the falafel burrito and the regular burrito along with some hummus, smoothies and desserts. All excellent, and the staff was great. It's the kind of place where you order at the counter and then they bring out the food. Big portions and great tasting. Would definitely recommend for a stop. But keep in mind it is a great fast food place with a comfortable atmosphere, but it's not a fine-dining restaurant with a long leisurely meal. The do have organic beers and juices too.

Pros: Heart of the city, Big portions, Delicious!

Fabulous! - Edit

As four British Vegans staying in South West France it didn't take much persuading to pop over the border to Spain for a rare Cruelty Free Restaurant in this part of the World.
Unprepossessing on the outside it was anything but on the inside. Jolly rather cramped upstairs, but plenty of space downstairs which is good as the food more than deserves to sit in and savour rather than just takeaway. The atmosphere is great, including the music, and the young woman taking orders and serving spoke decent English and was very helpful.
Firstly she said yes to bringing in our large dog, and then proceeded to bring him something to drink and eat on the house! We were waiting with a few others when they opened at 1pm so there was a bit of a rush and a slight delay for which she was very apologetic.
When the food came it was absolutely fabulous, and at under 10€ for main course, side and a drink was excellent value. Hotdog and Burrito were all fabulous as were the accompanying salad, hummus and chips. If anything there was slightly too much especially since it was accompanied by thick creamy (probably highly calorific!) and delicious sauces. We struggled bravely to finish it all up and were actually too full for the Cheesecake and Lemon Pie which sounded even more delicious. We will definitely return again to sample those and would recommend anybody to make a visit even if a substantial detour is required.

Pros: Great Atmopshere and Service, Large delicious portions, Awesome value for money

Cons: Really nothing

delicious freshly prepared food - Edit

thank you guys for this little island of hope amongst all the meat serving places!
the vegan burrito is yummy, the coffee with soy milk is also a good one! i did not have the time to try all the other nice looking things... Very friendly stuff, nice and peaceful atmosphere. Love that place!

Pros: freshly prepared, friendly people, very good location

We'll see what the future holds... - Edit

After a long trip by train from Paris, I was not only exhausted and starving, but also determined to give this place a shot. At least from the outside, the menu, almost exclusively in English, didn´t look as genuine as what previous reviewers have mentioned (and even pictured), with some pintxos, Spanish omelette, etc. It was more like what you would expect a franchise to serve.
For whatever reason, Green Break don't state their opening hours on their website, so to arrive one hour too early was a disappointment to say the least. I stuck around and tried to keep myself busy, however, only to return maybe 10 min before 8:30, when they were to open. During that short time, two young men with long hair showed up (forgive the somewhat judgemental comment, I´m a metalhead at heart too), both ringing the bell and being allowed entrance in no time. Apparently they work there, but the first fellow had no trouble finishing his smoke right before entering the restaurant and putting it out next to the door... which wasn't too fresh in my book.
Given that I had waited for a long time, that I was in a hurry and that I saw how calls were promptly answered, I resolved to ring too... did so for two minutes, then ran out of patience and left, at 8:32. Sorry but, in such circumstances, that was all I could take. I might end up there at some point in the future, but I doubt I will be willing to go out of my way for it.

Best meal in San Sebastián - Edit

I was so happy with my experience at this fantastic find. The food was terrific, the service was some of the best I received my entire trip. The vibe of the cafe was top notch. If you are looking for something different and interesting and want a healthy meal, this is the place to visit. The owner who works behind the counter is one of the friendliest people I met in Spain. This healthy cafe ranks among the best I have come across and I will definitely be returning the next time I visit this incredible city. This is a cafe not to be missed. Enjoy!!

Pros: Great service , Great food , Great vibe

Cons: Could be opened longer

Birthday meal in Green Break - Edit

We had a really tasty and well prepared and presented meal. Four courses and soft drink for €16. Our second course a spaghetti marrow was inspired, fresh and dressed to refresh the palate after the first course of homemade hummus. The lasagne main course was such a revelation, an invention of the chef Eva. It combined soya, spinach, onion, carrot and tomato sauce, exquisite. The tiramisu was delicious. I tried the strawberry and Christina the chocolate. Both delicious, but we couldn't agree which was best. A lovely atmosphere as the place filled up with local customers. The food matches the owners passion for ethical and inventive vegan cuisine.

Pros: Imaginative menu, Friendly atmosphere, Artistic presentation

Cons: Closed Mondays

A really nice restaurant!! - Edit

It’s a new and cosy restaurant well located in the old town of San Sebastian, near the town hall and La Concha beach!! The prizes are cheap and there are different types of food, desserts and drinks (included organic cider). If you prefer, you can always take away your food.

I tried a “txistorra” pintxo and had a burger menu, which were full of flavour. Even if I was already full, I tried homemade cheesecake and tiramisu and they were yummy, especially tiramisu!! I have to say that I’m not vegan or vegetarian, but I loved everything. Moreover, the staff was friendly and welcoming. Definitely, it was a pleasant dinner at the restaurant. I have to come back to try other new recipes.

They’ve got also free wi-fi.

I highly recommend going!!

Pros: Cheap, Delicious food, Well located restaurant

cheap and cheerful - Edit

Pretty average. The interior shocking! It looks like they did it in 1 hour. It looks dirty and unappetizing. The service, well...one girl trying to serve 30 people, pretty poor. I waited 30 min for a glass of water. In the end I had to get it myself. Finally, the food. The food was boring and dry. I don't understand why it's so difficult to get imaginative and teasty vegan food in Spain. The hummus was watery and bland, the soup was just awful. It lacked seasoning and the predominant flavour was sweet, just weird. The falafel was dry. It didn't come with and dip or sauce but with some equally dry salad. I really don't understand it. It doesn't take a lot of imagination to lift these dishes, just some common sense.One last thing, no written menus so the poor girl had to explain to every table what different option there were and it was confusing. As a result a lot of time was wasted and people were left unattended. Overall, the whole experience leaves a lot to be desired. The only consolation is that it's still work in progress, I hope. 4 out of 10
Updated from previous review on Sunday February 09, 2014

Pros: cheap

Cons: dry, boring, bland food, service, interior

Best meal I've had in a long time - Edit

I was starving and wanted to have a meal somewhere I didn't have to ask about every single ingredient, I had the burrito menu and I have to say it was the best meal I've had in a restaurant in a long long time. I recommend it to everyone.

Pros: Cheap, Delicious, Super nice staff

Cons: Little space

Twice in one day. - Edit

Was only in San Sebastian for a day and couldn't resist going for both lunch and dinner. The food is delicious, healthy and made with love. The desserts were especially good and everything was very reasonably priced. Highly recommend checking it out if you are vegan or want a healthy respite from the pintos.

A essayer à tout prix!!! - Edit

Enfin des pintxos vegan en plein coeur du vieux San Sebastian! Nous avons pris le menu entrée, 2 plats, dessert et boisson (16€ seulement!). Super cuisine, recettes très variées 100% végétales. Hâte d'y retourner pour goûter le burger qui a l'air fameux. Endroit très sympa et équipe très accueillante.
Si seulement nous avions la même chose de l'autre côté de la frontière…!

Pros: Tout

Cons: Rien

GREAT PLACE!! - Edit

The best place for vegans (and not vegans) in Donostia.
There you can find a lot of things like hamburgers, spanish omelet, cakes, juices... and even raw food. Very good service, great atmosphere and friendly staff. Totally recomended.

Pros: area, food, price

Cons: sometimes busy

The best in San Sebastian - Edit

Really nice vegan restaurant very well located in the old part of San Sebastian. It has everything you want: "fast food" like hambuguers, burritos, hot-dogs... as well as menu with a good variety of dishes (salty, sweet, raw...). Do not leave without trying the tiramisu! You can eat there or take away to eat that wonderful meal in that wonderful city. The price is quite cheap considering the big rations. And Eva, the owner, is lovely! MUST VISIT

Pros: Vegan, Variety, Taste

Cons: Sometimes you have to wait

Return to San Sebastian Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Green Break Vegan Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.