Green Bean

Serves meat, vegan options available. Small breakfast and lunch place. Veggie sausage contains cheese, but tempeh strips can be substituted. Eggs and dairy in the dishes can be replaced with tofu or tempeh upon request. In-house coffee orders are bottomless. Very accommodating to vegans & people with food allergies.

Category: Lacto, Ovo, American, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by gratefulove2000

Awesome! - Edit

The Green Bean always seems to be packed, and for good reason. The food is terrific, and most items can be made vegan. The waitstaff was very quick to point out non-vegan items to the vegetarian in our group when ordering (in the event he was unaware), and was very kind and personable.

For my part, the vegan pancakes were to die for.
My only regret is that they were so bloody large I couldn't finish and let my son knock out the last one for me.

Pros: Terrific food, Sizable portions, Subs/edited dishes easy

Cons: The place is PACKED

love!!! - Edit

I love Green Bean for breakfast! With a special request, they take care when preparing my gf items and I've never been sick. There are so many vegan options on the menu and my favorite is the "Tempeh Arizona" which is marinated tempeh bacon, a corn based pancake, and a side of veggies. They also have delicious raspberry jam and vegan butter for the pancake. The coffee is self serve and soy milk is available. It's best to go super early on a weekend or better yet, on a weekday morning to avoid the crowds.

Great Spot! - Edit

I came here for lunch with my friend during the week and while it was busy, we were able to get a seat right away. I love the vibe of this restaurant. They've tied the "hip earthiness" into everything, from the community bulletin board to the mason jar cups to the wooden architecture. Our food was great and filling. I loved the real maple syrup served on the side. My only complaint would be it's not clear what menu items aren't vegan. For example, non-vegan scones are served with vegan dishes and the veggie sausage isn't vegan. However, a few questions would probably clear this up. Also, our waitress was sweet and very efficient!

Pros: Good food, Good service, Good Vibe

Cons: Not clear about vegan food

love it - Edit

I love all of the vegan options at the Green Bean, and the staff are always knowledgeable and helpful about vegan menu items. The Green bean works to offer locally-grown food, and the food therefore tastes very fresh. I love the tempeh, with either the corn pancakes (that sometimes have a special option such as peaches cooked inside), the greens, beans & rice, and the VBLAT that was written about in another review. With everything I order, I always get a side of the almond gravy- even as a dipping sauce for the VBLAT!

There are always vegan baked goods for sale- though i've never tried them they come highly recommended. The coffee is good, and tea selections are great.

Expect a wait on weekends, but the meal is always worth it if you can afford the extra time. The Green bean is often the hip place to be for breakfast, brunch or lunch in the little town of Northampton, so it's also fun to be there as part of the town scene.

Pros: great food, healthy and tasty, friendly, knowledgeable staff

Cons: serves meat, sometimes long wait, occasional shift in quality

Most Veg/Vegan Breakfast Option in NoHo - Edit

Quirky, imaginative breakfast menu. Lots of fresh greens available for breakfast--an unusual and welcome change of pace. Coffee is pretty mediocre. I'm not fond of their grilled tofu--lots of big slabs of barely grilled tofu. Lots of vegan choices. Lunch menu is less imaginative but good food nevertheless.

Local foods are emphasized--nice. Vegan baked goods to go are sometimes available. Staff is friendly. Likely to be crowded during prime dining times. Expect to a wait for a table or have a back up dining plan if you're pressed for time.

Consistently Good Food - Edit

I just go back from another lunch at the Green Bean and sampled their Beans, Rice and Greens - a simple and boring dish on first glance. But I was in for a surprise - it was terrific! The greens are local, organic and very, very fresh, the brown rice was just perfect and it's hard to go wrong with black beans! I chose the tamari sesame sauce, which was perfect sprinkled on the greens....Yum! Plus, the staff are so very helpful and friendly but in a nice, low-key kind of way. Check it out when you're in Noho!

Pros: healthy, fresh food, sensible portion size, awesome staff

Cons: not all veg

AWESOME TEMPEH - Edit

This place will do anything vegan, they have home made tempeh which is incredible served with avocado and veganaise on their VBLAT. Some desserts are vegan, breads are local or store made but great. Serve Kale and other greens for more vegan options. Highly recommend, but not for RAW or JUICING...

Return to Northampton Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Green Bean closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2938 times since Jan 2008.