Green Ant Cantina

07-40415061

183 Bunda St, Cairns, Queensland

Serves meat, vegan options available. Mexican food and South American inspired cocktails. With advance notice (required), kitchen could make vegetarian items vegan. Live music late on the weekends. In house craft beer brewing company. Open Mon-Sat 4:00pm-12:00am.

Category: Lacto, Ovo, Beer/Wine, Mexican, Latin American, Non-veg

First Review by wildeyedgirl

Decent, buy limited veg options - Edit

Overall the food was fresh and most of it was tasty, but there are only one or two vegetarian options, and they cheese-based. While they had no problem with making the dishes vegan when I asked, the food wasn't great that way, because, again, they were cheese-based recipes (i.e., quesadilla and nachos).

Not a terrible option if you're just in the mood for some light appetizers and a vegan wine (which they call out on the menu), but don't expect the cheesy vegetarian main dishes to be so stellar if made vegan.

Pros: Some vegetarian options, Vegan wines

Cons: No solid vegan mains, Limited vegetarian options

Delightful - Edit

We called ahead and asked if the vegetarian options could be made vegan. I spoke to the chef and was told that was fine, and that they would be happy to swap cheese and sour cream for other ingredients. When we got to the restaurant and ordered the waitress said that wasn't possible, and didn't seem to believe us when I said I'd called ahead. She eventually went out the back and spoke to the chef, who told her he could make anything vegan and it was fine to swap ingredients. We got the fajitas and the nachos, with a trio of salsas, and some house made cider. Everything was fresh and delicious, and we enjoyed the bean bags. We would return for sure :)

Cons: Not all vegan

Return to Cairns Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Green Ant Cantina closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.