Gratitude Restaurant

• Vegan
Contact +49-8988982174

Tuerkenstrasse 55 (at Schellingstrasse), Munich, Germany, 80799

Opened Nov 2012, this small vegan eatery near the university offers a variety of dishes including raw food. Uses local and organic produce. Has a full bar. Accepts EC cards. On Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday from 5-6pm you could go in to have a drink and raw cake.

Category: Vegan, American, Organic, Raw, Western, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Take-out

First Review by cocoholic

With thanks to Gratitude - Edit

Gratitude is probably my favourite restaurant in Munich and I have been lucky enough to dine here twice. On our first visit we ordered the beetroot soup and mushroom stroganoff, which were stunning both in flavour and presentation. Definitely the best stoganoff I have ever had. On my second visit I ordered the wantan and erdnuss (peanut) sauce, followed by zucchini pasta with cashew cream sauce. Again the flavour and presentation were faultless and the texture of the pasta and the peanut sauce were divine. Starter prices range from 5-8 euros, whilst mains range from 14-15 euros. Sadly I was too full to try the cashew cheesecake (8.5 euros). A great selection of wines and beers are also aplenty here and the staff are more than willing to help translate the menu. I would definitely recommend going here but it is advisable to reserve a table to avoid disappointment. Thanks Gratitude.

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly staff, Nice vibe

Cons: Reservations advised

Very good food (if you manage to get a table) - Edit

Visited in June 2016.

As previous reviews mention, it is highly recommended to make a reservation for dinner time (you can do it by phone or from their homepage).
I managed to get a table without reservation; however, I had ony 20 minutes or so to eat my plate. Since I was alone it was fine, but if you are with somebody, you'd probably want to stay a bit longer.

In my opinion, the place is not small as the description indicates. There are about 40 seats inside; and about 12 more when the terrace is working. However, it does gets crowded.

The food was interesting (menus in german, so translation from staff is required); and they had really nice and tasty combination of ingredients.
So I really enjoyed the food (I had some kind of grilled avocado).
If I understood correctly, there is also a course menu consisting of tapas, main and dessert, for about €30.

Now, because the place is so busy, and there are only two people taking care of the 50+ customers (one person in the bar making the drinks, and another responsible for waiting the tables, bringing the food, etc.), I felt that the staff was at times too busy to be able to pay attention to each table (they were still polite and nice whenever they approached you).
So perhaps they should hire one more person for these crowded hours.

In spite of that, the atmosphere was still enjoyable; and the food was so good! Definitely coming back when in Munich again!

Pros: good food, relaxed atmosphere

Cons: staff gets too busy

Super, etwas teuer, Reservierung nötig - Edit

Ein gemütliches Restaurant mitten im Münchner Univiertel. Der Service ist sehr freundlich und das Essen ist fantastisch. Große Portionen, die wie farbenfrohe Kunstwerke auf dem Teller liegen. Man sollte reservieren! Es kann sein, dass man dann nach 2 Stunden gehen muss, weil der Tisch anschließend nochmals vergeben wird, was ein bisschen schade ist. Ansonsten spitze!

Pros: Alles vegan!

Cons: Etwas teurer und Reservierung evtl nur für 2 Stund

Love! - Edit

I'm a big fan of this one. One night a few months ago my partner and I decided it was finally time to make a reservation at Gratitude (every other time we tried to impulsively stop by it was full). Our reserved table for dinner was tiny and crammed close enough to hear everything the people at the next table said, but that was really the only drawback. The food was all fresh, delicious, and creative - appetizers, mains, sides, and I was also a fan of the beers we tried. I agree with one of the previous reviewers who said, order anything, it all tastes great!

We sometimes talk longingly about this meal and how we need to go back - the next time I am back in Munich I will be sitting at one of these tiny reserved tables again!

Pros: Delicious and creative vegan food, Friendly service

Cons: I wouldn't argue with cheaper prices, Small space and reservation necessary for dinner

Lovely lunch menu - Edit

We went to Gratitude for lunch on a Saturday and we loved it. We were happy we managed to get a table, as twice before (in the evening) the place was fully booked. (reservation is not necessary for lunch). The lunch menu was not very big but it was very good value for money, with a starter, a main and a drink for about 15 euro. I got hand made bread and hummus and a Cesar salad and they were both good portions and extremely tasty. My husband got a broccoli and zucchini soup and an excellent Thai curry, which was one of the best and most exotic I've had in Europe, fruity and fresh. I would definitely recommend this place and we will try to get there for dinner next time!

Pros: Excellent Food, No need to book for lunch

Cons: Lunch menu not very large

tasty soups and probably best raw vegan blueberry cheesecake in town - Edit

Just passing by Munich and looked for a vegan place to grab a quick bite. We were able to get a table just walking in at 2:00 pm on Ester Saturday. The place was full but we managed to get the last seats. Unfortunately the kitchen was out of rice (!) and they only had soups and a salad from the main menu. We ordered the soup, hummus/falafel with bread and cheesecake for desert. Soup was really tasty, hummus/falafel ok (had better) but the cheesecake was amazing :) washed it down with almond milk Late and were ready to continue the drive. Can honestly recommend.

Pros: great cheesecake , friendly staff, nice place

Cons: cash only, crowded

Taste explosion - can't make this at home! - Edit

We were in Munich for a day only and chose this place randomly. It turned out to be an excellent choice. We got a table despite it being busy and us not having a reservation. The waiter very helpfully explained the menu. We had the grilled avocado and the persimmon pumpkin curry. I was surprised by the intensity of the flavors and how well the combinations worked.

Pros: creative main dishes , atmosphere

Cons: a bit expensive

one of my favourites - Edit

The food is very tasty, the staff is friendly, helpful and know what they are serving and the prices are very reasonable. They have a daily changing menu, we have been there loads of times and have always enjoyed everything. It is advisable to book a table in advance, especially when it is too cold for the outdoor seating and because of their opening hours. Also, they are very close to Ice Date which is the place I would recommend for a vegan dessert.

Pros: food, staff, location

Cons: closed on Mondays

Nice - Edit

I like the food they served but it was very very hot and loud. It's a small place and you HAVE to reserve a table because it gets full in no time.

Pros: tasty food, animals are allowed

Cons: loud, small place

“We just don’t f**king care what customers think” - Edit

“We just don’t f**king care what customers think” – Head chef, Gratitude Restaurant

For a restaurant that boasts such a gracious name and a superb international reputation for vegan dining, you don’t expect to receive a tirade of abuse and aggressive behavior from its senior staff. Equally, you don’t expect the head chef to express hostility, arrogance and aggressive behaviour at your table to the point he is yelling “Go back to eating your f**king microwave meals.”!

My partner and I booked in advanced and were therefore dismayed to see they were unsure where to seat us and we ended up on a small, mediocre table beside the door. Not a great start but service was good until I politely questioned the intense flavor combination of my meal. I said we both found the meal so overpowering in flavour that it was bitter and not enjoyable to eat. The waitress was quick to dismiss and refute my concerns and said “This is how we like it”. She took away the uneaten dish without ever offering an alternative suggestion – something any well-established eatery would surely do as a professional courtesy.

Even though I have had my fair share of appalling and disappointing vegan dishes in 25 years as a vegan, served with equally bad or unsatisfactory service, I was not prepared for what followed. The head chef came to our table and asked what was the problem. By this stage we were objecting to paying for the meal that we did not eat and I explained our reasons in a polite manner. He was quick to become aggressive and defensive, telling us that he didn’t care if we liked our meal or not and that we had to pay. When I asked shouldn’t it matter if the customer enjoys their food and he said something along the lines “We just don’t f**king care what our customers think”. The abuse continued until we felt so intimated we agreed to pay and leave.

We did nothing to incite or warrant such behaviour. More surprisingly, the head chef told us unequivocally that the restaurant neither cared about customer feedback nor were they interested if customers actually enjoyed the food. We have since written to the owners seeking clarification and asking them if it is acceptable for staff to intimidate and rudely offend customers. They have not responded.

Gratitude Restaurant has been the worst restaurant experience ever. It appears ego and arrogance has got the better of the staff at this place and gratitude left this restaurant long ago.

Cons: Abusive, hostile and unprofessional, Unable to accept feedback, Staff have lost the plot

Ungenügend, ohne jegliche Idee von Service - Edit

Zu Besuch in München haben wir uns Anfang Mai abends für einen Besuch in diesem Restaurant entschieden. Über den persönlichen Geschmack lässt sich ja nun bekanntermaßen streiten, jedoch waren wir mehr als unzufrieden mit der geschmacklichen Ausrichtung unserer Hauptgerichte und haben dies an die Bedienung zeitnah und höflich kommuniziert. Die Rückmeldung der Servicedame lautete jedoch, dass dies nun mal die Art und Weise wäre, wie man dort Essen zubereitet und wenn wir damit unzufrieden seien, könnte sie nichts machen. Kein Angebot der Veränderung, einer alternativen Bestellung, geschweige denn einer Entschuldigung. Nach diesem Nicht-Service wollten wir gehen, jedoch stellte man uns den vollen Betrag in Rechnung und war auch nach Hinweis, dass wir mindestens ein Gericht nicht angerührt hatten, nicht dazu bereit uns entgegenzukommen. Final baten wir also um ein Gespräch mit dem Chefkoch, um sowohl seinen Eindruck zu hören und um zu erklären, warum wir das Essen haben zurückgehen lassen. Diese Begegnung war mehr als schockierend und hat unseren Besuch nachhaltig negativ beendet. Auch dieser Herr pochte darauf, dass seine Art der Speisenzubereitung nun so sei wie sie ist. Das Fazit dieser Unterhaltung war jedoch, dass man in dieser Lokalität überhaupt nicht an Feedback interessiert ist und man keinem Kunden nachtrauert, da die Nachfrage groß genug sei. Viel schockierender war jedoch, dass er sich zunehmend aggressiv, laut und persönlich beleidigend präsentierte. Ein ruhiges Gespräch war bereits nach einigen Minuten nicht mehr möglich und wir verließen das Lokal nach Ausgleich der Rechnung dann zügig, um eine weitere Eskalation zu vermeiden.
Ein solch arrogantes, ignorantes und aggressives Verhalten habe ich bislang noch nicht erlebt und die Enttäuschung über diesen Besuch war mehr als groß. Wir hatten vorab viel Gutes über das Gratitude gehört - leider scheint nach diesem Erlebnis noch nicht einmal mehr der Name passend!

Cons: No service orientation, Arrogant and aggressive behaviour

misleading name - Edit

I came first her because I love the Gratitude in Berkeley and LA, but the food is very different though. May be the German public isn't ready for the big bang, but if you are really into healthy vegan food with a focus on raw and/or glutenfree food you must be disappointed.

If on the other hand you have never eaten any gourmet raw food or at least gluten free vegan food then you will love this place as you will not miss anything. The taste of all dishes I tried so far is good. Some really surprise me, lots of different flavors in one dish, great. But the snacks get a bit boring after a while because almost all snacks are tempura style, only the sauces are different and if you know how to cook vegan sauces you notice that even the sauces are very similar. luckily they add enough herbs and grains to get a distinct flavor to each dish.
the mains are overpriced, would not recommend them at all. you'll be better of with the snacks and pad thai or even the starters.

Something I really, really missed on the menu was a real salad.. I mean something real green and crunchy.

If you try to avoid gluten this is not the place. they might offer one dish but who would come here just for one dish when all the others look and taste so good? they do not even offer gluten free bread.

Desserts are a bit too sweet but creative and tasteful. they offer a raw vegan slice of cake, too.

Staff is friendly and some are even really friendly. Nice atmosphere!

This place is definitely for the taste oriented guest, if you are a into a healthy vegan you can come for indulgence but due to all the (crispy and good tasting) tempura and cashew sauce loaden dishes you are rather on the heavy side. even for desert you cannot expect frehs fruits.

Do not compare to Berkeley and L.A. and you will be fine. I will always come back but cannot rate it more than 3 due to the poor raw food and gluten free options and lack of more ingredients listed below each dish... something I love about the Cafes Gratitude in California and most US vegan restaurants.

Pros: vegan, atmosphere, friendly staff

Cons: too much tempura dishes, no gluten free alternatives, no smoothies

cool place with cosy warm atmosphere w/ some BUTs - Edit

the place was full, location is very central and food was amazing and well presented. but its quite expensive and no english menu (hello???) - you should have some low cost menu's and dishes and stick to be open to everyone.
cheers

Pros: good location, good food, warm and cosy atmosphere

Cons: expensive, no english menu!!!!, small place

Best Place ever!!! - Edit

The food is outstanding. Nice Little restaurant with Great staff and very creative food. A Must Go Place if you are in munich!!

Pros: Amazing food, Great staff, Great atmosphere

Cons: A bit tight

This place is outstanding! - Edit

This restaurant is located in the heart of munich and you will feel the special vibe if you walk the streets there. The eatery is run by a young team of very friendly and helpful people. The interior is very modern and stylish designed.

But the most important part, the dining: They have a great variety of different dishes and drinks as well as teas and so on. I've been there with a couple of friends and everybody ate something else. Everyone of us was satisfied and we all said that the meals tasted very very good! Go there if you like to have a new fresh and tasteful experience.

Pros: New and modern, Great variety of dishes

Cons: Higher prices

Great for lunch & cake - Edit

Went there for the lunch and was very pleased with food, drinks, and service. They were super friendly and accommodating. And we were even treated to some little free samples of their green smoothie. A MUST if you're in Munich! If you go for dinner, I'd recommend to get a reservation, they seem to be very busy. We were there around 2:30 for lunch and wasn't too busy.

Pros: Raw cakes, Very good food. , Great service.

AMAZING! - Edit

This little gem is located near the University metro stop in Munich. We grabbed a salad and a smoothie for take-out to eat in the park. What a treat! The salad was amazing and so fresh and was plenty for us to share one for lunch because it was very hearty (I can't remember what it was called, but it had pomegranate seeds, spinach, and tempeh in it). The smoothie was also great and was made with cashews. YUM! It is a little bit pricey, but worth it! Would definitely go back and absolutely recommend it to anyone traveling in Munich!

Terrific Designer Vegan Dining - Edit

Gratitude was a real find! Enjoyed my only green juice on a two week European vacation. Lunch was excellent in a very attractive setting with breezes flowing from the large, open windows. This is definitely designer dining. The best was the beet root cheesecake! Highly recommend.

Pros: Original, healthy dishes , ambiance

beautiful - Edit

Finally I made it there and as I went there with three buddies I got to taste several dishes. Just order anything, it tastes great! There was a little misunderstanding with the booking. It was not worth talking about it but this beautiful and charming red-haired lady gave us our first drinks for free.
The quality is great and it´s organic food, so I think the price is fair, still it´s expensive compared to other restaurants.

Pros: tasty & organic, friendly & generous staff, raw options

Cons: expensive

not cheap but tasty - Edit

the staff is nice and their food tastes great. we had the zucchini pasta, which was not very filling, and the almond soup which we can totally recommend. healthy and fresh food but it's a bit pricy though.

Pros: nice ambience, tasty food, healthy

Cons: a bit expensive

Grateful for Gratitude - Edit

This Restaurant is in a very "In" Location in the City and the restaurant is designed accordingly. The menu is very interesting and varied. I would definitely recommend the tapas as an appetizer, where you get a small taste of some of the main dishes already like the kale salad. I lobed the variety of the menu and this can definitely Italy be considered and the healthy vegan cuisine. Definitely a great dining experience and a good place for a special occasion, while the food was of course great, I did find the bill at the end of the evening a bit steep.

Pros: Great location, Excellent vegan cuisine, Varied menu

Cons: Not cheap

Gratitude is what you will feel... - Edit

Two or three times a year I spend a week in various European cities. This week I am in Munich and, to my delight, I have found it to be an oasis for vegans (even my hotel, the Louis Hotel, has a vegan buffet of more than 20 items, most with a gourmet twist). Though I have already visited several vegan and vegetarian establishments, Gratitude is my favorite. The food is imaginative, all of it organic, much of it raw. It conveys a sense that its owner(s) and chefs want the world to eat well and live well. After three meals there (one lunch and two dinners) I am hard pressed to name a favorite, but I will leave Munich reminiscing over the tomato/celery/rosemary soup, the roast cauliflower afloat a shallow pool of kimchee mayo, the detox kelp bowl, and a vegetable curry dish. I will carry with me the warmth of appreciation the servers showed when I expressed such deep satisfaction. The restaurant's name is aptly chosen. This is not just a restaurant with "great food" and a welcoming vibe -- it is a restaurant with purpose, and one that achieved its purpose with this client.

Pros: Food quality and presentation, Welcoming and helpful staff, Restaurant conception and purpose

We adore this amazing restaurant! - Edit

We have eaten at this vegan restaurant every day since we have been here (except on the Monday since they are closed). The food is imaginative and extremely tasty. The first day we went, we had lunch and the grilled tempeh sandwich and it was so delicious. They know how to spice foods. I usually use a lot of salt, but on their creations I do not need any because they have such wonderful tastes created in their dishes. Many of the foods are raw and are a taste celebration. The tapas plate, that we had at night, was creative and scrumptious. It truly is a place one must go to eat if visiting Munich. The staff is friendly and helpful. I have been vegan since 1990 and my spouse since 1991. It does our heart and soul good that places such as this exist that create such delicious and ethical food. Please visit this place. Do reserve since they can be full otherwise. Do try their raw desserts! The only con is that their tables are teensy tiny.

Pros: Creative and imaginative food, Friendly and outgoing staff who speak English, All vegan and all delicious

Cons: Tiny tables

Fabulous vegan blueberry cashew 'cheese' cake - Edit

We stopped in at Gratitude for coffee and cake and immediately lamented the fact that we couldn't possibly fit in what read to be a hearty tempeh salad or tempeh burrito, a refreshing contrast to the predominant mock meat focus of most veg places in Munich.

Although the friendly waitress was apologetic about the price of the vegan cashew cheesecake (6 euros), she provided a wonderful explanation of the cake and we couldn't help ourselves. We shared the blueberry and chocolate one between the two of us. It was decadent, rich and delicious and certainly enough for us both.

Gratitude is a lovely place and would highly recommend going there. Looking at the menu, while the options are limited, there seems to be an emphasis on quality over quantity, and perhaps less focus on mock meat than found in other Munich establishments. Do visit.

Pros: cosy, fresh, quality food, friendly staff

My most beloved restaurant in Munich - Edit

Just go there, lay back, enjoy it, and you will love it! The food tastes excellent and the staff is so great. You may go there stressed out and busy and leave it with a smile on your face. See my Interview with Jason Mraz about his opinion about it: http://claudigoesvegan.blogspot.de/2012/12/interview-mit-jason-mraz-interview-with.html
Updated from previous review on Wednesday January 16, 2013

-->
December 28, 2013:
One year later the food is still great but not that much raw.
Staff changed many times.

That's one reason why I got a new favourite vegan location in Munich: http://www.happycow.net/reviews/bodhi-munich-44280

Updated from previous review on Saturday December 28, 2013

Pros: most friendly staff you can imagine, first rawvegan restaurant in munich, great vibe

Best vegan experience in Munich - Edit

Unfortunately Cafe Gratitude was the last vegan place I visited during my brief stay in Munich, since it turned out to be my favourite. The food is both tasty and healthy, the service friendly and the atmosphere comfortable. It would definitely be my first choice for fine vegan dining in Munich and the one place I would make an effort to visit again.

The overall atmosphere of the restaurant is calm and relaxing, even though it was a busy Friday night when we were there. The staff was friendly and attentive.

My dining partner and I shared a tapas plate with a lovely variety of options (hummus, olives, sushi, noodle salad, warm quinoa salad, etc.). I had a delicious pad thai with lots of texture including snow peas and carrots that were still crunchy and lots of additional textures (like peanuts and a few other crunchy things I couldn't identify). My dining partner had a nice Indian curry. Both came topped with delicious, fresh mixed salad greens. There were lots of healthy options on the menu (including smoothies and raw options). For dessert we shared a raw mixed berry and chocolate "cheese" cake. There is also a nice, reasonably priced wine list.

Our dinner was around 75 Euros for two people including 28 Euros for the wine. I think it was definitely worth the price and it would be my first choice for a high end vegan meal in Munich.

By the way, we were able to pay by credit card (as of December 2013).

Pros: tasty, healthy food, friendly service staff, nice ambience/atmosphere

Awesome Food - Edit

Visited on my trip to Munich, the food was awesome had this vegan Risotto was so creamy and good, and the cakes are so delicious! Highly recommended, 5***** for this place!

Pros: Excellent Food, Friendly staff, Peaceful

Cosy little vegan restaurant - Edit

We've been here for late lunch on a Sunday. Outside tables were occupied when we arrived, so we took one inside. As some guests left it was no problem to change the table so we could enjoy the sun in front of the restaurant.
The food is a little pricey but very delicious.
The staff was friendly but a little confused.

Pros: cosy, good food

Highly recommended! - Edit

Excellent food and desserts on the fancy hence pricy side but highly recommended and a must if visiting Munich. Nice china and more plates than you need, nicely served, may not look much but is more than you think considering the plate it came in is so large. I had a regular dish, water to drink and dessert and it came out at about 22.50 euros. Nice places to sit, quick service and very nice and helpful staff. Doesn't take credit cards but there is an ATM 50 meters to the right on the same street. Highly recommended.

Pros: taste, looks, service

Cons: price

worth visiting - Edit

Small but diverse menu. I had one of the raw-ish items and it was both tasty and healthy. Friendly staff. You pay a bit for the ambiance and quality, but not unreasonably so.

One star off because the food was good but not extraordinary. But I only had a chance to eat once, and additional visits might have improved the rating.

Pros: quality food, several options, nice ambiance

Cons: very slightly pricey

Vegan and raw nearby Universität - Edit

Super yummy food and smoothies, all organic. Its a bit pricy but not too pricy considering Munich is very expensive. Offers soups, meals, cakes, and raw options.

Pros: Delicious, Cozy, Organic

Very good! - Edit

I had a wonderful meal there,fresh,tasty .The place looks new and nicely decorated.
For a long time I wanted to find a place like this here,vegan and good cooking.
It s only 5 minutes with the U Bahn from Marienplatz to Universitåt,then less than 10 minutes walk.
For 20 Euros I had a soup,a main course,a smoothie and mineral water.I tried "raw food " for the first time and loved it.
K

Updated from previous review on Wednesday January 09, 2013

First Raw food place in Munich! - Edit

Love this restaurant. They have many raw food options on the menu.Very delicious and in good location. Will go there again soon.

Pros: Raw food, healthy food, good value

Cons: no fresh juice yet

Return to Munich Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Gratitude Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 11510 times since Oct 2012.