Grassroots Pantry

+852-28733353

108D Hollywood Rd, Sheung Wan, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong, China

Cafe serving world-inspired dishes with most menu items being vegan suitable. Sources unprocessed and organic ingredients as possible. Est. 2012 at 2-14 Fuk Sau Lane and re-opened here in 2015. Open Mon-Fri 7:00am-3:00pm, Mon-Sun 6:00pm-11:00pm, Sat-Sun 8:00am-3:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, International, Organic, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Asian

First Review by Grande Poobah

Mostly vegan food in Sheung Wan - Edit

Grassroots pantry is a very nice (and expensive) vegetarian place in the heart of Soho.

Vegan items are explicitly indicated in their menu and, as June 2017, conform the huge majority of it. The staff is friendly and the place is quite busy, it is recommended to make a reservation in advance.

The food was very nice, especially the vegan Chicken Popcorn, made out of mushroom as the staff kindly told us and the vegan canoli. The chicken popcorns were buttery and the taste was quite similar to non-vegan chicken, being the texture the main difference with the animal counterpart. The canoli was simply delicious, especially when combined with the great Happy Cow ice cream that was also a part of the dish.

In general I would recommend this place for a fancy evening as it is quite expensive, but if you can afford it and want to try a new experience it is definitely worth trying.

Pros: Great food, Mainly vegan

Cons: Expensive

Didn't like it - Edit

It was weird basically. Everything seemed to have these strange chewy mushrooms that were supposed to replicate chicken. It was expensive and not very well done.

Cons: just not good food, expensive

Innovative, creative, delicious, high end, sophisticated vegan food and venue - Edit

This is my favourite special date night spot for vegan food in Hong Kong. We save it for a treat as prices are steep... but that is the only con.

Venue:
They used to have a smaller venue and expanded a couple of years ago to this larger spot. It is spacious with high ceilings, and gorgeous decor (wooden and metal utensils hanging off the walls). The menus are artistic, with quirky, annotated drawings of the dishes. Love the look and feel of the bronze cutlery.

Food:
Most importantly, the food and drinks are delicious. Creative. Nice presentation. I don't think there is currently anywhere else like this in HK. I have tried most of their dishes over the years, which they change from time to time.

Starters/sides
- "Popcorn chicken" made with hedgehog mushrooms - texture apparently like chicken - funky and fun served in a little stripey packet, stringy and chewy and moreish, and the sauce (coconut kefir and galangal) is so creamy and buttery (and vegan)!
- Signature kale salad (little overpriced) - I like the macadamia cheese and unique dressing.
- Teff injera and daal makhani (Ethiopian style) - used to be part of a main dish but now seems to be available as a side.

Mains
- My favourite is the kelp noodle salad - I don't find these noodles very often, love the crunch! It used to be served with crunchy spring rolls, whilst the current version is with wide mung bean noodles. They have the flavour combinations down perfectly. At one point, I felt the portion size was a bit small but on my last visit, it was a good serving.
- Japanese donburi dish was good but a bit heavy on the rice (be careful mixing in the chilis if you can't eat too much spice).
- I like the Indian tikka flatbread - it's not particularly Indian(!), could up the spices, bit tangy from the mango chutney, and creamy from the pine nut cream.
- Tried a gnocci dish on one of their previous menus (I think it was orange so made out of a squash rather than the current teff version) - that was delicious.

Desserts:
- Rum raisin cannoli - wow. Perfect with crunch, coconut whip is so light (and alcoholic) and chewy from raisins, Happy Cow salted caramel ice cream completes it nicely.
- Various cakes at the counter: Chocolate cake is RICH - recommend for sharing.

Think they have a lunch deal at around HKD 160 (not been able to try this yet tho)

Updated from previous review on 2017-06-11

Pros: Great flavour combinations, Unique dishes, Simple and sophisticated decor

Cons: Expensive....!

Grassroots Pantry, Hong Kong - Edit

Small portions. Overpriced. Service seems to be hit or miss.

At least they are familiar with the concept of vegetarian booze.

Updated from previous review on 2016-12-08

Pros: Vego booze

Cons: Small portions, Not for the budget conscious, Underwhelming service

Like it a lot - Edit

As a starter we had the sprouted tuna roll, main course was macrobowl and panzetta bolognese. The food was real fun, tasted very well maybe a bit oily (the pasta, but thats the way it should be anyways). It was somewhat pricey but thats what you know before. And: this restaurant has the nicest cutlery I ever seen :)

Fantastic food, but expensive - Edit

Ate here last weekend as a special treat. Be prepared for some high prices and small portions. The food was fantastic though. Great combinations of flavours and textures. All very healthy, and plated beautifully. Didn't leave with a full stomach, but my taste buds were very happy.

Pros: Delicious

Cons: Expensive, Small portions

Nice place for brunch (i.e. go on a weekend or public holiday between 9am to 4pm.. as they have a separate menu!) - Edit

Serves vegan and lacto-ovo vegetarian food too. The kelp noodles with hedgehog noodles and spring rolls dish was very tasty. fresh ingredients and flavours. Quantity was good! price a bit exp: 178 HKD.

the raw banana crepes weren't good at all. they're gluten free and vegan.. but not tasty at all. had a very weird taste. couldnt finish it. HK$ 118 bucks for this.

I love the ambiance, music, staff, and the vibe of the restaurant.

Updated from previous review on 2016-09-23

Pros: Nice ambiance and staff

Cons: Expensive, right in the middle of Sheung Wan and Central

Worse dinning experience in Hong Kong - Edit

The food is horrible, it's oily and lacks flavor. We ordered 7 things, and everything was bad. The tiramisu cake is really really bad, we couldn't finish a one bite The chocolate dream milkshake is a chocolate nightmare. Not recommended at all!

Cons: Food lacks flavor

I want to love this place but it falls short of the mark - Edit

GREAT space, great location but the food is somewhat underwhelming. It just lacks a bit of flavour. Highly recommend the breakfasts, and I have ordered a fantastic cake from them, which was delicious, but all my lunches and dinners have been on the bland side. I'll keep going but just wish they would rethink their lunch and dinner offerings.

Incredible food - Edit

We have been travelling around Asia for four months and this was hands down the best meal we have had. We ordered many small sized dishes, dessert and a couple of drinks, our favourites being the turmeric chai latte, popcorn chicken and chocolate, oranges and cream dessert. Was very full and we seemed lucky to get a place on the bar so make a reservation if possible, it's well worth it. Wonderful waiters. Very much on the pricy side, but you get what you pay for!

Top 5 Restaurants for Eating Vegan/Gluten Free in HK - Edit

I am actually sitting in this lovely vegan cafe in Soho as we speak at this moment! Their new pantry in Soho is a two-storey large space in a very nice setting. Even if you are not a vegan, you can still still a coffee/dessert/drink on a weekend day and hang around a bit.

From all the vegan restaurants I've visited in HK (and trust me I've been to A LOT) Grassroots Pantry probably has the most extensive menu. This can perfect attest to the fact that a vegan diet can be anything but boring. I was literally astounded at the creativity of the owner of this vegan eatery for coming up with such a variety of choices for not just vegan but also gluten-free and nut-free choices here, especially considering the fact that HK is not as mature as the US or Europe in terms of its vegan customer market.

So what do they offer here. Anything on a traditional vegan/healthy eating restaurant of course including salads, kelp noodles, acai bowl, and all that jazz. But you'd be surprised when you can find creative dishes with Southeast Asian and Japanese/Korean influences in their creations. Kimchee pancakes, "tuna" hand rolls, curry spring rolls, vegan green thai curry, Szechuan stir-fry, Unagi, etc. And 90% percent of them are vegan and gluten-free! I have yet to try all these amazing looking dishes but from the salads and a couple brunch items I've tried including their tofu scramble, gluten-free bread and cashew nut butter, none of them ever disappointed!

Don't forget to check out their dessert selections as well. They have selections of vegan gluten free cakes, cookies and pralines to choose from. Personally I didn't care much for the taste and texture of their pastries but they are definitely healthier than others.

My ratings:

Flavor - ★★★★

Environment - ★★★★★ (It's actually pretty much a nice sit-down restaurant and can be a spot for special occasions.)

Price - ★★★ (Most items are above $100HKD and it could be slightly lower IMHO.)

Location - ★★★★★ (in the heart of central SOHO)

Vegan/gluten-free options: ★★★★☆

Overall - ★★★★

Recommendation: Kale Salad and brunch items

See relevant photos and the full list of my Top 5 Restaurants for Eating Vegan/Gluten-Free in Hong Kong: t.cn/R5f7GjD

Pros: Variety

Cons: Price

A fine place to go if you're in the area - Edit

We ordered just one dish, and had the accompanying free glasses of water (refilled by waiters as soon as they were emptied!) and starter (spiced/pickled vegetables, peanut butter, and two small slices of toasted bread) - keeping the cost to an affordable ~100HKD.

I think we bought some milk and snacks from a 7-eleven later on, but the flavours were definitely worth coming to experience, and the price wasn't prohibitive at all. Come to enjoy some new flavours, not a full belly!

Pros: Free starter , Free water (lemon), Tasty!

Cons: Expensive (but most of HK is!)

nice location and good food - Edit

Came here the first time - the restaurant has a nice lunch menu for 128 hkd including a starter, a main course and tea or coffee. Not the biggest variety: Two different vegan starters, only one vegan main course but very good quality and really tasty. Definitely worth coming back !

Nice Brunch - Edit

I was there for brunch on Sunday December 7, 2014. Small but varied brunch menu selection in a beautiful space with outdoor seating available. I had the Sunday Tartine, which was ok. Unfortunately I asked for the mushrooms to be well done, even though the server warned me that it was a baked dish, but I insisted and ended up with a rather dry tartine. I had iced coffee with maple sirup and it was splendid. Easy to find with the Happy Cow app.

Two green thumbs up! - Edit

Hard to locate if new to the area, but like most good things in life, it's well worth the time and effort once yon find it.

Excellent ambience, small cosy cafe set-up with very good service. Their Burdock fries are a fantastic must-try! Also sampled the quinoa-falafel and thai green curry, both did not disappoint.

I'll definitely be back!

Pros: Good service, Fantastic food, Excellent small cosy ambience

Cons: Just a wee bit hard to find

Exceptional Food and Service - Edit

I've dined at many of the top veg restaurants around the world. I'm always on the lookout for exciting new restaurants whenever I travel.

When visiting relatives in Hong Kong during the New Years break, we decided to splurge and try a 5 course menu at Grassroots Pantry. The sparse reviews reflected the relative newness of the restaurant.

But the few reviews I found here and elsewhere were uniformly positive. And the set menu for New Years Eve seemed very imaginative and creative.

We were able to get a table on short notice and had a lovely table for four reserved for us upstairs. The hostess/server greeted us graciously even though we arrived earlier than our reservations.

All our courses were exquisite except perhaps the forth course which lacked the high level execution of the first three courses. The dessert course, presented on a rectangular black slab, was simply divine and made up for the slippage in quality of the previous course.

If you are looking for an exceptional (mainly vegan) dining experience while in Hong Kong, Grassroots Pantry is a must visit.

Pros: Stunning Food, Gracious and Thoughtful Service, Focus on Local and Sustainable

Cons: Tricky To Find, Higher End Price Point, Small Dining Room

Great food, great service, great people - Edit

My wife and I had lunch at the Grassroots Pantry during our recent stay in Hong Kong. We had just arrived that morning and, after checking into the hotel, Grassroots Pantry was the first place we headed. We were not disappointed.

The restaurant is a little bit out of the way; it's hard to describe exactly where it is as it is sort of off the street in a sort of cul-de-sac of small shops. The restaurant is small, it has two floors but the upper floor has only one table that can seat four at most. Because it is small, reservations are requested but although we did not have any (again, it was our first day in Hong Kong), we were able to be seated upstairs. The decor is nice, earthy and clean.

The menu is limited but mostly vegan and very good. The menu itself has hand drawn pictures of the food, which adds a certain artistic flair to the restaurant. An interesting and nice touch!

It has been a few weeks since my wife and I were at Grassroots Pantry and I confess that I don't remember exactly what we had but I believe I had the tofu and potato crouquettes and another tofu dish while my wife had the green curry veggies. Both dishes were quite delicious. For dessert we had Happy Cow non-dairy ice cream, raspberry if I remember correctly, and our only regret is that we did not ask for more.

What really set the place apart, however, was the service. When we told our steward (Michael?) that it was our first time in Hong Kong, he made his recommendations for things to do and see and also recommended that we download the MTR (Hong Kong subway) app for our phones. He even told us how to access the restaurants WiFi (although I hope I have not broken his confidence by telling everyone that the Grassroots Pantry has free WiFi).

Our hostess and chef (Peggy?) was also kind enough to ask us how we were doing and if we enjoyed the food. We learned that she was born in Canada, raised in California and has a most interesting "Valley Girl" Californian accent that I confess I did not expect to hear on that side of the Pacific Ocean. Oddly, her accent made us feel at home.

All in all, we very much enjoyed the Grassroots Pantry and plan to return the next time we are in Hong Kong. The food is good and the service is great and there is something about it -- the food, the decor, the ambiance, and most of all the people -- that I really, really like.

Pros: The staff and the service is top notch!, The food is delicious, "Happy cow" ice cream get's special note

Cons: Location, in a side ally or cul-de-sac

Like being in San Francisco - Edit

Very bijou, friendly cafe serving Californian style veggie food. Tasty and wholesome food, with very attentive service, but more expensive than a 'local' restaurant

My lovely local - Edit

This is my local, and I love it.

The menu is fairly short, but perfectly formed. The food is sourced locally, supporting HK's local organic farmers. Most food is vegan, or the dishes can be prepared for vegans. I can very highly recommend the Japanese noodles and then the blueberry cheesecake. Juices also good.

As well as the food the ambiance is fantastic. Grassroots is down a small side street, very quiet and private. It's a small cafe - maybe 30 covers - over two floors. The decor is cute, sophisticated and welcoming. I particularly like the crockery, but that's just me.

I've been here for lunch and dinner, with committed vegans and steak eating rugby players, and everyone's left happy. And you can't really ask for more than that.

Pros: great local food, friendly staff, lovely space

Cons: menu is quite short

Return to Hong Kong Island Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Grassroots Pantry closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.