Grasshopper Restaurant - College St

Contact 647-340-3666

310 College St, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, M5T1S2

Opened Feb 2014, a small vegan restaurant in a casual, contemporary setting. Menu changes from time-to-time and features selection of made-to-order meatless meals, sandwiches, sides, salads, and fresh juices. Open Mon-Thu 11:30am-9:00pm, Fri 11:30am-12:00am, Sat 12:00am-12:00am, Sat 12:00pm-10:00pm, Sun 11:30am-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Western, Juice bar, Delivery, Take-out, Asian, Catering, Fusion

First Review by CourtneyM

burdock nuggets - Edit

I've spent a week in Toronto and this was the very first place where I had a meal. That was a great first impression of the city!
I had the quinoa mac and cheese with burdock nuggets (which you can't find in many places).

Pros: excellent food, convenient location, nice vibe

Good food - Edit

Three of us went for lunch. The place was crowded so we had to wait a bit and the place is a touch on the small side. I had the spicy bean burger and salad and it was very good. Worth a visit.

Pros: Good place for lunch, Relaxed atmosphere, positive staff

Filling and healthy - Edit

This place is amazing. I loved their blueberry cheesecake and their salads/bowls are filling. The menu is healthy and the service and atmosphere is lovely.

Pros: Great menu, Healthy

Cons: Venue is small

Good food and atmosphere - Edit

Husband and I were both very pleased with the food here. I had the chik'n banh mi, and I loved the breaded cutlet balanced with fresh veggies and pickles. We also enjoyed the fried rice balls with spicy sauce. The sesame fries were not my favorite, but there are other side options.

This place was super convenient to where we were staying on U of T campus. Server was very friendly. It is a smaller place, so you may want to plan ahead if you're going on a weekend night.

Delicious, but expensive for the portion sizes - Edit

The food here is great, but I tend not to go very often because the prices are a bit higher than other restaurants within walking distance. They do have good gluten-free options, which is a big plus.

Pros: Gluten-free options, Good food, Convenient location

Cons: A bit pricey

Cute Little Place :) - Edit

I came here for a lunch with my Mom on a shopping day we were having at the Yorkdale Mall. It's a quick subway ride and walk from that mall, which is perfect. The interior is so cute and cozy, and the waitresses are insanely friendly! The food was great, of course. My non-vegan mother loved everything we ordered (and she can be particularly critical of "vegan food"). We ordered the chick-un nuggets with peanut sauce, haru salad, mushroom n' rice bowl, brownie for dessert, and some tea (green tea for her, oolong tea for me). Everything was as it should be; tasty, but not too heavy appetizer, fresh salad (amazing with the recommended plum dressing -- just don't dump the whole dressing on if you don't want it too powerful), creamy and rich mushroom bowl, decadent and sweet dessert (one of the best brownies I've ever had!!!), and warming, refreshing tea. The only thing is I found the mushroom and rice bowl a bit too rich for me, but not a problem for people who are used to slightly heavier food. I wouldn't call that a true con. The food in general was definitely not overly heavy at all! Overall, I'd most definitely recommend coming to Grasshopper for a lunch :)

Pros: Very Friendly Waitresses, Cute Decor, Delicious Vegan Food

Cons: Small

What a nice place! - Edit

It's not easy to find a place with vegan options when it's late and you are starving. 10 minutes to 10pm, we found this place and they served us (take-out) even though they were about to close. My stomach and I were so grateful! The staff is very friendly and the chick-un banh mi SO good. I also recommand the ginger-pear juice and the fudge brownie (which are the only items I tried, I'd like to have more someday).

Pros: Friendly staff, Great food, Open til late

Delicious - Edit

What an amazing restaurant. From Toronto to Montreal and then to Vancouver, I have to say that this place is tops, when it comes to the food and service.

Pros: Delicious, Varied menu, Very friendly staff

Cons: Small, I can't think of anything

Amazing vegan comfort food - Edit

My wife andI had dinner there during our recent visit to Toronto. Located close to University of Toronto. Small place with limited seating but great tasting food and excellent service. This is a great choice for vegans craving comfort foods. We had great chili and sandwiches that were to die for. The appetizers were excellent but the real treat was the Blueberry "cheesecake" for dessert. It is the best I can remember anywhere! The couple seated next to us liked it so much they had a second helping. We would have too but they would have had to roll us out the door were so full!

Pros: Amazing blueberry cheesecake, Great choices, Excellent service

Cons: Small, Didn't have everything on the menu

a great find - Edit

My meat eating family and myself went to grasshopper for my birthday.
Everyone enjoyed their meals very much.
I had the kale salad and Mac n cheese - the portion was so huge I had enough for the next days breakfast.
My meat eating family tried 1 of everything and loved the sandwiches and said it was the best veggie meal ever .
I am gluten free so I was a bit limited but very satisfied .
I would go back there.

Pros: cute , friendly, tasty

Very satisfied and will be back again - Edit

Fell in love with this place after the Live Green festival in July 2014. We had a bunch of appetizers including the rice ball, chicken-un nuggets w/ peanut sauce and beef n mushroom satays; all were delicious although I don't see the rice balls on the menu anymore which is too bad. Followed that up with the power kale n cabbage salad where we added cubed crispy breaded tofu and the ginger garlic soy dressing. Also had the pulled pork bahn mi sandwich w/ fries and finished off with the blueberry cheesecake. We were full and very satisfied. Staff was pleasant however the place is very small (but cute) so you may wait for a table on a Saturday night.

Pros: Great healthy choices, Serene decor, Mixed menu = something for everyone

Cons: Small location, Can be cold sitting by door

Cute resto - Edit

Of note: they only accepted cash or debit (not sure if it was a temporary thing)

I stopped by for a banana chai smoothie that was nice but a bit thin. At least it was cold and satisfied me in Toronto's summer heat.

I wish I had sampled more food - it sounds delicious!

good quality food, reasonably priced - Edit

This café opened about three months ago (in Feb. 2014). It has a lovely smart interior, with tables on one side and a bar running down the other. The lights are pretty cool.

We had the chicken-un nuggets to start with a peanut dipping sauce, which was really tasty and a good appetiser. We then had the miso vegetable bowl. The vegetables were perfect and the sauce absolutely fantastic. Definitely recommended. The spring salad was also very good, although the bold plum dressing had a bit of a kick as an aftertaste.

The staff were very friendly and welcoming, making suggestions on the menu choices. They were attentive, without being overpowering.

This place is definitely worth a try!

nice place! - Edit

Eat here the other day and I will definitely be back! Good quality food and I found the prices to be reasonable compared to the portions (going against TOs trend towards overpriced vegan food right now).
Had the fake chicken and pulled pork sandwiches and shared half of each. Both were real tasty, but I would say the chicken sandwich came out on top as my favourite. Real good! Had the sesame fries as the side for one and the kale salad on the other. Personally, I preferred the kale salad over the sesame fries as they got to be a bit much towards the end.
Didn't have a drink but it looks like there's lots to choose from. Fresh juices but also fancy cocktails. Will have to come back to check those out with another sandwich!

Pros: small place not great for big groups

Cons: quality food, open late, reasonable prices for Toronto!

Return to Toronto Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Grasshopper Restaurant - College St closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.