Grasshopper Restaurant

Contact 617-254-8883

1 N Beacon St (at Allston-Brighton), Allston, Massachusetts, USA, 02134

Offers an extensive Asian vegetarian food menu which includes vegetables, noodles, tofu, and mockmeat dishes. Has brown rice. Open Mon-Sat 11:00am-10:00pm, Sun 12:00pm-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan, Chinese, Take-out, Asian

First Review by will-travel-for-food

So good - Edit

I love Grasshopper, particularly the 3rd Sunday buffet. Everything is really reasonably priced and there are just so many delicious options. I never have anything I don't like.

Pros: Reasonably priced, So many amazing options, Buffet 3rd Sunday of the month!

Enormous menu for an enmormous appetite - Edit

Come hungry: with the low prices, the large selection and big portions, you'll get your fill here.

The food is good and varied and the restaurant has a nice ambience.

Delicious! - Edit

This was absolutely delicious, I am so glad my sisters ordered lots of stuff to share! The spring rolls were accompanied by a nice dipping sauce, the barbicue pork was deliciously crispy, the fried rice and tofu were perfectly seasoned and bursting with flavor. Vegans will absolutely love Grasshopper!

Pros: Good value, Excellent food

Average/good asian food - Edit

•good food! big servings for lower prices
•nice staff, seemed slightly impatient
•some fried foods are quite dense and too oily, watch out!
•many options
•mock meats were good/ok quality, some were just plain tofu (like the chicken fingers)

WHAT I ORDERED:
-Chicken fingers (appetizer): basically fried tofu served with sweet and sour sauce, dense but good.... Looked nothing like chicken fingers. (View picture)
-The kale and mushroom delight: lots of kale, good flavor, fake beef had a weird twang/ tasted rotten
-Vermicelli noodles topped with grilled chicken: GREAT!!! Thin rice noodles with veg and good fake chicken
-House vermicelli noodles: AMAZING!! Thin rice noodles with veg, fried tofu skins, great spring rolls, and pork (was okay, slightly rubbery but good) served with rice paper and hot water to make rolls, i didnt use them.
-GREAT CHEESECAKE!! Topped with blueberry sauce, mmmmm good!
-Pineapple apple carrot celery juice, was good but had pulp... Wasn't strained. More like a thin smoothie

Worth the trip - Edit

Abit of a trek from where I was staying in town but definitely worth it! The staff were incredibly friendly and gave up great suggestions for our first time there. Their imitation meats even satisfied my picky omnivore mother! Would definitely love to come back

Pros: friendly staff and restaurant vibe , big menu , complimentary tea

Cons: rice a little on the stodgy side, but fine otherwi

words cant even describe... - Edit

HOW AMAZINGLY DELICIOUS THE TOFU CHICKEN FINGERS AND BARBECUED VEGGIE PORK ARE!!

if only i lived closer, Thankfully i still manage to get take out from here at least once a month

Pros: Delicious, Friendly staff, did i mention delicious?

Cons: distance

Asian veggie - Edit

Grasshopper's menu is extensive and has dozens of dishes with a wide array of mock meats. The sheer variety is pretty overwhelming. I've tried a lot of the menu items, many of which were excellent and others of which were just okay. For first-timers, I would recommend asking the server for suggestions - they'll probably direct you to the mock beef with broccoli, which is really good in spite of the simplicity of concept. The portions here are huge (family-sized), so plan accordingly. If you order one dish per person, you will invariably end up with lots of leftovers - which actually isn't a bad thing.

Also, they have a buffet on the third Sunday of every month. It's less than $11 for all-you-can eat, which is a fantastic value. That's also a great way to sample a little (or a lot) of many different dishes that they offer.

Pros: Huge portions, Asian favorites, Buffet

Good food! - Edit

I had dinner here. It's good! They have a great menu, and food is delicious. The mock lobster is something to try. The fried noodles nest is so good. Nice owners.

Pros: yummy food, price , nice owners

Vegans Unite! - Edit

Went here with my sons. We loved the wonton soup. I wasn't crazy about the apps we ordered but I might not have ordered well this time around. That said, the staff was extremely nice and our food came out hot and didn't take too much time. As a vegan business owner, I value the commitment and dedication that it takes to keep a vegan restaurant going. Thanks Grasshopper for pioneering this wonderful food and for staying in the game.

Good Food, good price, community supporter - Edit

Grasshopper has consistently good food and decent service. Sure, the restaurant doesn't sparkle (people mistake wear and tear of a small family run restaurant for dirt sometimes, but I've never seen something that made me question the actual cleanliness here) and the to-go containers are, well, pretty bad, but the food is consistently very good, affordable, and available, with a large selection of 100% vegan items.

Better, they are long time supporters of the Boston Vegetarian Society and let the group meet there every month for free.

Pros: Great food, Selection, Price

Cons: Aesthetics, To-go containers, small delivery area

Simply Delicious & Worth a visit! - Edit

Everything we tried here has its own unique flavor and was very good.

The Hot & Sour had great content including veggie Pork and Tofu. It was delicious, living up to its "hot" & "Sour" names.

My Favorite dish was "the Kale & Gluten Supreme". Just excellent and I would recommend it to everyone. It was filled with three different types of faux meat as well as huge portions of perfectly cooked kale in a savory black bean sauce. The mains also come with rice.

We've also tried the "Kale and Mushroom Supreme", which had a really well executed ginger sauce, but for some reason doesn't have shitakes. The "Sesame Beef", was filled with sweet and delicious vege beef medallions and well cooked broccoli. The "Lo Mein with Tofu" is done well and isn't oily. I think the only thing I've had there which was disappointing was the "Spicy curry Vermicelli", as the noodles weren't Al Dente, the curry wasn't particularly spicy, and the Sweet potatoes seemed an odd fit for the rest of the dish.

All in all, this place is a real winner. I've never had anything bad here. The portions are huge. The service is polite and lightyears above Boston's "My Thai Vegan". The last time I went to Grasshopper was the last great snowstorm of 2015 and they were the only store on the block open. This place is open even in blizzards and the food is consistently excellent.

In terms of flavors or textures, nothing blew my mind at Grasshopper. It also isn't fancy and unfortunately it's out of the way from Central Boston. That being said if you've got a hankering for a delicious Asian Meal and you're in Beantown, than Grasshopper's your ticket, and its worth the extra 20-30 minutes of transportation, because it is easily the best Asian fare in town.

Pros: Great Portions, Excellent flavors & Content, Affordable Prices

Cons: Out of the way by Public transportation

A staple restaurant - Edit

We have been coming here for over 5 years. There's are definitely hit and miss items but the hits are worth returning for.
Hot and sour soup is the best one I've ever had. I tend to compare any other restaurant's one to this one. The No Name is the most popular dish among my friends. I don't tend to eat fried stuff but I've tried it a couple times off their plate and it's always been good. Most of the appetizers are good but don't get the pizza. The mock meats are good but the tofu dishes use a soft tofu and are never quite satisfying, especially not the coconut tofu.
All entrees are giant and they have a buffet one Sunday every month that's worth a trip at least once.

Pros: Big servings, Extremely quick, Reliable staple

Cons: Most are dishes great, some are terrible

Zero cows would be more accurate - Edit

Bad enough our No Name came out overcooked, rock hard, waaaay to sugared up, and completely inedible in every way, but the folks at Grasshopper refused to take it off our bill. Despite the fact that we returned it virtually untouched, the manager/owner (not sure what his position was. He didn't identify himself) flat out refused to take it off our check stating "It's not a store, you can't return it. If we give you your money back it's not fair to us"

At first I thought he was kidding. Who says that?

Then the guy got insulting and explained to us how the No Name is a very special crispy dish. Yeah, crispy as a brick. Totally rude, especially since I already told him I had been a customer for well over a decade and never had a No Name come out rock hard or completely crystalized in sugar like that. The guy went on to rant about how it's not fair to return food to the kitchen. Seriously on and on. Then he wanted me to order something else. Finally, he "generously" took half off the horrible mess. Then he continued his rant about how unfair it is if customers return bad food after ordering it. I swear, at this point I was ready to pay him just to stop talking. He. Just. Kept. Going. On. And. On. And. On.

Basically, the folks at Grasshopper would rather get a few bucks from me for a completely inedible meal then continue to make money off me for the next several years. That's sad. Yep. Bad move, but what do they care -- like so many college town businesses, they are largely sustained by transient folks, a new batch come to town every year.

It's all good for me. Grasshopper is kind of far from me, and other places have outrun Grasshopper in that mock meat junk food kind of way. There are so many great places in the area, I prefer to patronize businesses that respect their customers. And I might just loose that ten pounds after all, now that I won't be picking up lunch specials on a weekly basis and traipsing over to Alston for dinner anymore!

OK Food, A Few Criticisms, Suggestions - Edit

I don't think there's a vegan out there who doesn't appreciate an all vegan restaurant. Having said that, I also think vegans appreciate (perhaps even more than non-vegetarians) presentation and other details.

Let's start with the good, or even great. The appetizers—at least the ones we tried, the House Special Assorted Appetizers—were excellent. If you aren't a fan of fried food, you won't like these, but if you are, you'll be in heaven.

The next dish we tried was entitled "The No Name," basically fried strips of gluten in a a run-of-the-mill sweet and sour sauce. There were not very many veggies (perhaps four pieces of broccoli), but to it's credit, the dish was quite tasty, as long as you like this type of sauce.

Next we tried the The Grasshopper Supreme. I won't mince words here: this was pretty awful. It was bland, difficult to eat (all of the steamed veggies were not bite-size and in huge chunks) and presented in a hodgepodge, un-appetizing platter. In a word, it was sloppy.

Finally, we tried the Sizzling Platter. This was OK, but again, not that tasty, and frankly, pretty bland.

I'm going to go out on a limb: I think some people who really like the restaurant and give it five stars haven't tried truly exquisite vegan asian cuisine. If you've never had vegan asian food before, this will blow you away. If you've been vegan for over twenty years like I have, this is only so-so.

On a positive note, it's not dirty as some people say, just more like a typical asian restaurant. There service is also good, but I made the mistake of asking the waitress her opinion (she may have even been the owner) and I should have trusted my instinct and ordered for the table instead.

I actually hope the restaurant reads these reviews, and works a little harder on presentation and taste. It would take much to really improve the dishes and make this a knock-out restaurant.

Anyway, perhaps we just ordered a couple dishes that weren't that impressive (or as impressive as they seem on the menu and via their titles), but suffice it to say, we won't return when we're back in the Boston area.
Updated from previous review on Friday November 28, 2014

Pros: Great and quick service, Lots of variety, Large portion sizes

Cons: Sloppy presentation, Bland taste (some dishes)

Vegan Nest of Yummy - Edit

I was really impressed by the wide diversity of all vegan food and truly delicious combinations. The "bird's" nest made with julienned taro root filled with squid- and shrimp-like pressed root veggies and beef-like seitan in a delicious non-oyster sauce was really phenomenal. The hot and sour soup and chicken-ish with veggie dumplings were remarkable, too, as was the ubiquitous hot tea. The atmosphere and service are appropriate for an affordable, quick-service American-Chinese restaurant. Come for the food, but don't expect fine dining here. The vast, delicious menu are what makes this place attractive.

Pros: variety of food, expansive menu, low prices

Cons: no music played in restaurant, restrooms could use some attention

Return to Allston Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Grasshopper Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.