First Review by jennap

Grass Root Plant Based Foods - Edit

Delicious and Nutritious. Great customer service. Keep the healthy stuff coming.

Pros: Healthy, Delicious, Convenient

Cons: Pricey

Grass Root is Aaaaahhh-some! - Edit

Grass Root has fed my family for 2 years -and is now feeding many of my friends! For folks unfamiliar with vegetarian or vegan food the usual response is: "I don't always know what it is but I don't care 'cause it's soooo good!" The food is fresh, the flavors are consistently delicious and layered, and the service is better than family. I don't eat out anymore because Grassroot meets the needs of my palate for taste, texture and variety. And with younger kids, I love that I have ready made picnics daily.

Pros: Delicious, healthy, flavor-full food, Caring, attentive staff, Good value

Cons: Portions have been getting smaller

Awesomlicious - Edit

This is the best service available to busy vegetarians. I don't always have time to fix great food, but they do, yeaaaaa. They are fresh, totally yummy, great variety and delivered right to my door by a friendly delivery guy. Life doesn't get any better.

Pros: excellent food, great variety, very convenient

Grass Root Plant Based Foods - Edit

I love Grass Root! I've ben going there for a decade now. Now I order the catering every week that I can. the raw food is healthy, amazingly delicious (even the hubbie loves it), and it's so convenient to have it delivered. Their desserts are amazing!!

Best Food Ever - Edit

My husband and I have our own business and are always on the go. Choosing Grassroots food delivery was the absolute best thing we've ever done!! Healthy, delicious food at our fingertips - any time of day! And we are not spending much more on food now than we were before. We're happier and healthier for it. Thank you so much, Sabrina and Spencer and Grassroots!!! :D

Pros: Delicious, Very Healthy, Timely delivery

Excellent food and kind atmosphere - Edit

The meal was excellent, great care was taken for preparation and taste. It was awesome, I'd definitely go back!

Pros: Taste, presentation, kind

Cons: took long time

Fantastic Place for Organic Raw Vegan Food - Edit

This is a fantastic restaurant. My wife and I were visiting Tampa for a week and we ate there three times and each time the food was fantastic and the service was great even though it was packed 2 of the three nights. The desserts were fantastic. The homemade raw organic halvah and the pecan pie were amazing, the best I've ever had and my fellow diners agreed. We brought two colleagues from work with who don't eat this way and they liked it too.

The best was Susana's sandwich either raw or vegan cooked. The smoothies and green drinks were also excellent. Spencer the chef, and Melissa, the waitress were very helpful and explained ingredients on the menu for those who had allergies. I would highly recommend The Grass Roots to anyone. We have been to many organic raw vegan restaurants around the country and Canada and this is one of the top three, don't miss it!

Pros: Excellent Food, Healthy Cuisine, Great Service

Cons: Not open on Monday or Sunday

Disappointed!! - Edit

In the last few years, Grass Roots had become my favorite raw/vegan restaurant in the Tampa area. At one point I was eating at their Florida Ave. location 2-3 times a week and loving it!! However, since turning their Florida Ave. location into a catering business I've gone to the Manhattan Ave. location twice (because it's a farther drive) and been highly disappointed both times!! This last trip over there will probably be my last. The dish I ordered was bland, which I wasn't going to make big deal about it. But when the waitress asks how everything was, I was honest and she gave me a horrible attitude about it. One of the other meals brought to our table was not made as it was described on the menu. The waitress offered to bring me something different, which I declined because I didn't like her attitude and just wanted to leave. They did not charge me for my meal and did give us a desert. It's unfortunate, but I feel that the quality of food and service has gone down hill since they started the catering business. It's a shame that one of best raw/vegan restaurants in this area has turned out this way...very disappointed!!

Pros: Has a good selection of menu items, Good vegan deserts

Cons: Horrible, rude service, Food isn't as good as it use to be

Worth the Trip - Edit

This location is only 15 mins from the Tampa airport. I called from the airport to order carryout and by the time I got there it was ready.

The Bachlorette smoothie and vegan keylime cheesecake were the most memorable. Everything was top-notch. Staff wonderful. Street parking in front.

yummy!! - Edit

i am trying to switch to a primarily raw food diet while i'm visiting Tampa, and Grass Root makes it so so easy!! absolutely delicious, and for raw food the prices aren't bad. raw food takes a lot of time to prepare, i'm willing to pay for it.

Pros: excellent food, great staff, not too pricey

Cons: parking, closed Sun & Mon

Delicious - Edit

The food here was fantastic, between us we had wheat grass to start with, this was much nicer than usual, almost tasty! then we had the pasta dish very good and the Sabrina sandwich absolutely delicious. We also had the Harlem shake very filling, but just think how healthy it is with all those hemp and linseeds. Altogether well worth the visit, we are staying in Tampa for the rest of the week and we will definitely be coming back. We went back yesterday 16.04.11 and I just have to say I had the most delicious portabella mushroom with sheese etc, also loved the pizza (it is smaller than usual), also tried the bachelorette also fantastic, my only fly in the ointment is they are shut Sunday and Monday and we return to the UK on Monday evening, so no more grass roots for us :(
Updated from previous review on Wednesday April 13, 2011

Pros: raw food, very friendly, Potabella Mushroom- the best ever

Cons: shut Sun + Mon

Tampa Treasure - Edit

We visited Grass Root before a Rays game a while ago. As previously stated by other comments the area is a bit sketchy and parking can be tricky. However, it really isn't that bad and this shouldn't discourage one from visiting. The service was okay and the food was delicious. I particularly remember loving the blueberry cheesecake. It may very well have been the best vegan cheesecake we've had (that we didn't make ourselves). The prices are a bit high but it is well worth it. Sadly, there really isn't much else in the Tampa area for vegans and vegetarians. Take your girl on a date here and spoil her.

Pros: Good Food, Vegan Blueberry Cheesecake

Cons: Parking, Location, Prices

What a Gem Find in Tampa - Edit

I FINALLY made my way to Grassroot with a friend. I am so glad I did. This is seriously one of the best vegan/raw eatery places Tampa has to offer. It is a bit tricky to get to (Florida avenue is a one-way going North) and the neighborhood may make some people feel uneasy. But don't let that stop you from making the trip! The atmosphere was colorful, relaxed and we felt at ease with the friendly wait staff. I had the green tea with ginger (sweet, but very good). We both ordered Sabrina's special sandwich, and I have to say that the onion bread was even tastier than my own version. I ordered the pecan pie dessert and it was excellent! I cannot wait to go there again. There are so many things on the menu that I would love to try. I would definitely give this place an A+ for food.

Pros: Creative Food, Vegan & Raw

Cons: Location

Always out of something and SERVICE SUCKS - Edit

my wife and i have been eating at grassroot since it opened and everthing was great but 4 about about the last 6-8 mounths the 5 times ive driven 45mins to the tampa location they have been out of quite a bit of items like tonight no desserts and no more chickun sw either and i love it when i order a green light smoothie that takes 45mins to make and has to be made with water cause they r out of oranges how r u out of oranges in florida why cant someone drive their happy cow butt 2 the health food store right up the road and buy some and this happens at both locations my wife has waited 4 45min a few times 4 2 smoothies and if spencer or sabrina, the owners, arent waiting on u themselves then you will b suprised 2 get any kind of decent service it seems as if the staff doesn't care enough to provide good service it also seems like no big thing to be out of something it must be nice to be the only raw food restaurant in the tampa area and I feel that organic should not be in the title of the business when all the food is not organic i feel that is misleading just keeping it real

Pros: healthy food, mom and pop ownership, family friendly

Cons: low inventory of food, inexperienced service, not all organic

Grass Root in Lakeland - Edit

I visisted their newer Lakeland location and was very impressed with the whole experience. I am a total vegetarian and I thought the food was excellent and very healthful. I also brought my sister and her fiance who are meat consumers and they were also very satisfied and delighted with their dishes. I was so happy for them to have the oppurtunity to taste the possibilities of gourmet vegan/vegetarian cuisine! The atmosphere was simple, and very beautiful. The service was outstanding and we were blessed in speaking with the owner who was present.

Pros: great food, nice atmosphere, affordable and friendly

Cons: shaes but no desserts, some dishes may be on the smaller side

Great Find - Edit

My wife and I were taking a trip to Cape Coral, and were hungry along the way. We found this place by doing a search on my phone. It took us off the interstate a bit, but it was well worth the visit. This was the best food we had during our 3 day visit to Florida. The burger was wonderful. It had all the toppings and condiments I love, but never get any more. Cheeze, mayo, etc. My wife had the Ramen noodles, and they were excellent as well. I ended the meal with a slice of pecan pie, and after it was all over. I was full, but not overly full. It was a perfect feeling. A great restaurant, and the staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. Well worth the visit. I'll go back again if I ever find myself in the area. We do come to the Orlando area quite a bit, we may even make the trek again just for the excellent food and service.

cuuuuuuuuuute. - Edit

Although this restaurant is situated in a sketch neighborhood, it is well maintained, clean, and comfortable. The food is excellent. EVERYTHING I ate here was delish and the service was fantastic as well. There are a few raw items on the menu. The only thing I did not enjoy was the tea --it was way too sweet. IF you are a vegan living in or visitng Tampa - go here!!

Pros: excellent vega/raw food, excellent service, great atmosphere

Cons: location

Love this place! - Edit

My then-fiance and I visited the Grass Root in April of 2009 while we were in Tampa scouting places to have our wedding, and to look around a bit before hopefully moving there next year. We had only one restaurant experience, but had great food and service (the sprout wraps & sauce for them are awesome...so was the ginger chick-un). It did seem a little expensive to us, and other things surprised us like the .50 cents for the reverse osmosis water. But it all tasted really nice, and so we considered it well worth it. At the time, I'd only been vegan for about half a year; since then I've learned that you really do just get what you pay for. It's easy to get cheap food that can be MADE vegan, but

A) you have to hunt for it on the menus at other restaurants (here, everything was "safe" except for the bee pollen in some items, which were clearly listed),
B) you have to explain veganism to your server at other restaurants, and haggle with them about what'll go on your plate, and
C) the ingredients aren't going to be as good at another type of restaurant. Add in the fact that the owners of the Grass Root are trying to provide good, wholesome vegan and RAW food to a city that's not exactly brimming with it, and I think that's all worth a few extra dollars. But I'm one of those vegans who are trying to change the world even with small actions, I guess.

When it came time to organize my wedding, I was referred to Amore Catering in Tampa and was told they had experience in doing vegan wedding cakes. After some truly frustrating lack of communication and empty promises from them, I remembered the Grass Root and e-mailed to see if they could do it or knew anyone who could. Sabrina e-mailed me back and said that they could it. No more frustration! E-mails were a bit slow in coming, but she's not only got a family, she's got a business to run so I understood. The bottom line is that the Grass Root really came through for us, the cake was there and beautiful when we got to our venue, and everyone exclaimed over how good it was. None of my non-vegan guests (everyone other than me, basically, lol) could believe how good the cake was, knowing it was vegan.

I love that the Grass Root provides great vegan food in Tampa (and I'll be going there all the time once we move down!), and I love that they helped me prove to all our wedding guests that vegans don't have to live on tasteless twigs and berries. The Grass Root is helping to change the world!

Pros: Food tastes great!, Food presented attractively!, Knowledgeable owners!

Return to Tampa Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Grass Root Plant Based Foods closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.