Gracias Madre

415-683.1346

2211 Mission St (at Mission District), San Francisco, California, USA, 94110

Vegan Mexican restaurant by the owners of Cafe Gratitude. Uses produce from the owners' farm. Makes food in-house including the salsa, tamales, corn tortillas. Concise, seasonal menu. Open kitchen and spacious interior with dim lights and Mexican music played in the background. Open Mon-Sun 11:00am-11:00pm.

Category: Vegan, Organic, Beer/Wine, Mexican

First Review by alexkors

disappointed!! - Edit

Really disappointed with the food we received! The food was lukewarm and didn't have much flavour at all. We ordered sweet potato quesadilla that was very mushy and we could not taste or see the other ingredients that were meant to be in it. The taquitos only came with two and a small side of black beans and veg which I found really overpriced at $19 considering it also had mild flavour. Happy with the server he was friendly and polite.

Cons: expensive , food was not hot

Need to do better... - Edit

When the food is done well it's great. But when it's not it's very poor. Tonight, I had to argue down management to replace my burnt-crusted cobbler. Eeeew!! I know mistakes happen but to argue as though it's not true takes it to a new level.

pokie face - Edit

We have been here several times and there is always a wait, even with a reservation. The hostess is not very welcoming or engaging. It usually is a 30-45 min wait for a table. However many of the tables are community seating so you will likely be eating with strangers. After the long wait, service is usually helpful and quick. I suspect this is to get people out faster and have a higher turnover rate. The food is good. Being able to have real vegan Mexican food is great. We really like the chipotle papas (a little on the spicy side) and the enchiladas. The flan was a little weird it tasted almost boozy with a strange texture. We wish that next time if we decide to come back the hostess will be more welcoming, maybe at this point, there should be two to be able to provide better service.

Pros: foods traditional and on the spicy side , lots of gf options

Cons: always a wait, pokie faces, the owners also own animals for slaughter :-(

The best!!! - Edit

Oh. My. Goodness!!! I have just come back from eating here and I am in awe of what I have just eaten. Some of the best vegan food ever!!
We arrived without making a reservation so sat at the bar to eat as they were very busy, but that was fine.
We started with the cauliflower small plate... just wow!! Tasty doesn't come close. Followed by some lovely tacos with amazing refried beans. I was completely full but managed to force in a puddding- (vegan cinnamon ice cream, how could i not?!)
The staff we very attentive and friendly aswell.

Pros: The food, Staff, The food

Cons: None.

Room for improvement - Edit

Having read the good reviews. I had high expectations of Gracias Madre but these weren't fulfilled.

Things got off to a rocky start when we arrived because I was massively underwhelmed by the welcome (or lack of) we received from the hostess / Maître d', who was not at all friendly and/or welcoming. Even though we'd made a reservation and turned up on time, she informed us there would be a 15 minute wait for a table. No apology. I noticed she continued her po-faced performance with other arriving customers, so at least it wasn't us..

Anyway, eventually we sat down for food. Waiter was more helpful and polite - he helped us to order, which was nice. I wasn't that impressed with the food, however. Starters were ok but I found the mains a bit bland and not particularly fresh tasting.

Booze was too expensive. I understand alcohol is expensive in America but $30 for a crappy bottle of wine is taking liberties. Places like this should take the lead and charge more reasonably for wine and beer.

Not somewhere I'd go back to nor recommend.

Pros: it's vegan

Cons: snotty maître d', shambolic service , food extremely average

so good - Edit

The menu has so many great options, it's hard to choose. What a problem to have! We ordered bowl uno and enchilada con mole, and both were full of flavors and lots of it. My favorite was the bowl uno - a deconstructed burrito bowl with all of the typical components. Their tempeh chorizo was a really nice addition - a bit spicy which added a little kick. The enchilada was spicy! For you spicy lovers, this is great, but for those who arnt, it's hot! All in all, I need to go back to try other items on the menu!

Pros: food is phenomenal , service is quick and friendly , ambiance is welcoming and warm

Cons: busy busy and so it's communal tables

No Disappointments - Edit

Great, Great Mexican Food! quality ingredients and presentation. Delicious

Great food - Edit

Love how creative they are with the food they make. The open kitchen is awesome. I have never had a bad meal.

Pros: Outdoor seating, Bar seating, Clean

Cons: Price

great food, family friendly - Edit

I'm the only vegan member of my family, which when traveling includes myself, three adults, a teenager, a toddler, and a soon to be one year old. Needles to say finding a place for all seven of us to eat out can be quite the struggle. Luckily we made reservations for this place and everybody loved it, even the tots! They had high chairs and seats for toddlers and the establishment was very family friendly.

The food was also SO GOOD! We ordered the Coliflór Frito and some nacho dish for appetizers which were all incredible! The cashew cheese is seriously to die for (even the salsa jars on the table were way above average in taste!) I ordered the flautas de camote which our waitress said was the most popular menu on the item. I thought they were good but not too interesting and I'd order something different next time. My dad got the enchiladas mole negro which I thought was a lot better. Their refried black beans are some of the best I've ever had.

Overall was a great experience and I will definitely go back the next time I am in the Bay Area.

Pros: kid friendly, quick service, great food

vegan mexican food! - Edit

This is a great place to eat. The atmosphere is nice as well as quiet. The staff is friendly and the food is super tasty. I tried the quesadilla which was a perfect portion, not too heavy.

Updated from previous review on 2016-11-09

Pros: all vegan, friendly staff, calm atmosphere

Cons: not a lot of seating

Thanks, Mother!!! - Edit

Okay, we live in Los Angeles and make a glorious pilgrimage to Gracias Madre in West Hollywood a few times each year. But I've always wanted to try the original San Francisco location too. And it definitely exceeded our expectations!

The service was great and the food was just as delicious as the SoCal version. The grilled tofu special with grilled eggplant and house made chimicurri sauce was delicious! Their flautas and enchiladas were delicious too. Our only regret was the limited bar menu, but they did a great job with sake-based margaritas. Don't miss the incredible peach cobbler with homemade cinnamon vegan ice cream. Yum-my!!! We will definitely be back!

Pros: Great vegan Mexican food!, Wonderful staff and service! , Cool local vibe.

Fabulous - Edit

What a fantastic restaurant!
Everything is vegan,so there's no worrying about checking ingredients, and you quickly forget there is anything "alternative" about the menu. It's simply delicious food: fantastic fresh ingredients, well put together, with authentic Mexican flavours.
The hostess who assigned our table could have been friendlier, but her slight frostiness was more than counteracted by the lovely barman who fixed us up with some tortilla chips and guacamole while we waited, and our sweet server Pablo.
Definitely SAVE ROOM FOR DESSERT! We had the peach cobbler and the strawberry cheesecake and both were amazing, and generously portioned.
The Mexican hot chocolate is also worth trying, as long as you are ok with chilli :)
All I can say is, gracias, Gracias Madre- and I can't wait to be back.

loved the food - Edit

we don't get much south american food in new Zealand, so what a gem. can see the food being prepared in a clean kitchen. the hosts feel like hosts, not servants. loved it and went back!

mexican vegan food - Edit

This place was great. Delicious vegan mexican food made with fresh ingredients so everything was very flavorful. Traditional mexican dishes that aren't usually vegan so it was cool to be able to try them. Great atmosphere and cool location as well.

amazing Mexican food - Edit

Every thing I ordered (around 8 dishes) were so delicious. You get really big portions as well. Quesadilla, grilled corn and cauliflower Fritos were amazing starters. Tacos are really good as well.

Pros: Fresh organic food , big portions , cheap

awesome Mexican vegan! - Edit

Nachos are awesome, guacamole, wait, all is awesome!
Enjoy

Overpriced and bland food owned by carnists - Edit

I have eaten at three of this chain's restaurants--this one, the Cafe Gratitude in Venice and the Cafe Gratitude in San Rafael (now closed.)
I am always rooting for vegan restaurants; that's why I gave them repeated chances by visiting the three different locations. But each time was the same--bland and overpriced food with ridiculous names, like "I Am Serene" or something silly like that.
But then I heard that the owners are out-and-proud meat eaters. Ugh.
I'm not saying they should close down the restaurants, but they should sell the restaurants to non-hypocrites.
Until then, I hope vegans and vegetarians will spend their money elsewhere. There are lots of veg restaurant alternatives in Venice and SF.

Pros: None, Zilch, *crickets*

Cons: hypocrite owners, bland food, overpriced

LorenaH 02 Sep 2016 - First time I heard this accusation abaout the meat-eating, I thought it must be totally fabricated. No one could even expect a fiction like that to be believed. ... but it's true! was recently in the NY Times! Imagine. How strange. Vegan owners, and kind of creepy cult like people too (I mean all that What are you Grateful For? stuff) actually .. well I won't go into the details. but Yukk.
Any by the way, I did not think the food bland at all. I was quite fond of it.

Vegan Mexican - Edit

This was my first time at the SF location (any chance this is related to the LA location?). The menu is not the same but it's similar. This locations setting is less upscale and more casual. The service was great. The food scored points for being totally vegan and presentation was good but I would only recommend two of the four dishes we ordered. With all the amazing vegan places in SF I wouldn't be in a hurry to come back to this location. I do recommend the tacos with the black beans tho! Delicious!

Pros: 100% vegan, Great service

Cons: Dishes not consistent in taste

Return to San Francisco Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Gracias Madre closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.