Govinda's

Contact n/a

Bhaktivedanta Swami Marg, Vrindavan, India,

Vegetarian restaurant inside the ISKCON temple complex, to the back. From the front entrance, walk around the temple to the left (near the welcome center) and keep going. Located near the reception desk for check-in at the ISKCON temple house. No onion or garlic used, no coffee or any tea which has caffeine. Open Mon-Sun 8:00am-2:30pm, Mon-Sun 6:00pm-9:00pm.

Category: Lacto, Indian, Italian, Western, Take-out

First Review by vegan_ryan

Decent, but clueless on veganism - Edit

This was decent. Merely decent.

You'd expect that a "we're so vegetarian" organization like ISKCON would have some kind of clue about veganism, but trying to find something vegan here was actually a struggle. Many items on the menu, I had no idea what they were, so I tried to ask some questions from an English-fluent waiter. He had ZERO concept of veganism, and the conversation went something like this.

"OK, what can you recommend from the menu that has NO dairy, NO honey, nothing from animals?"
"I recommend this cheese dish."

Fail.

I wound up finding something, and it was decent, but not amazing. It's also quite expensive for the area.

Next, I approached the dessert counter, and it was the same "don't know what veganism is/you explain it/get recommended something non-vegan" experience.

This is Vrindavan. Finding vegan food is super easy. In fact, walk out the front door of ISKCON, see the street food vendors across the street, and go there. I actually encountered one who knew what "vegan" is, and I paid about 1/10th the price of Govinda's.

If you want a semi-fancy place with A/C, sure, go here, but come ready to use multiple paragraphs to explain veganism.

Pros: No meat

Cons: Clueless about veganism, I mean, really clueless

Return to Vrindavan Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Govinda's closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 47 times since Sep 2016.