Govinda's Vegetariano

Contact 2450531

Juan Jaramillo 7-27 y Borrero, Cuenca, Ecuador,

Offers set lunch which includes rice, salad, juice, and main course. An extensive menu of other options include Italian food, pizza, Asian food. Mon-Sat 12:00pm-3:00pm, Wed-Sat 6:00pm-10:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Pizza, Indian, International, Juice bar

First Review by Claude

Reasonable vege choice - Edit

Govinda's is a couple of blocks from the main plaza and is large and pleasant. The food was standard almuerzo-style: for $3, I got a soup, plate of salad, rice, chickpeas and plantain, and a tea. Nothing special, but fine.

Good cheap almuerzos - Edit

Good set menu for lunch but get there at 12 when they first dishing out or food will be cold. Reasonably priced menu for orders too. Nice atmosphere and always packed which is a good sign. Sporadicly open, don't believe their opening times!

Pros: Vegan, Healthy, Cheap

Cons: Cold, Often shut

lunch - Edit

The menu del dia is $3.00. It includes soup, rice (and they actually have brown rice, hard to find in Ecuador), lentils, and salad with a juice. There is an upstairs and the atmosphere is very pleasant. We were happy to have brown rice and lentils and the soup was better than most. Do ask for the aji as others have suggested for a condiment to spice it up a bit.

Pros: decent food

Good food with a Ecuadorian/Indian flair - Edit

The set lunch is now $2.75 and includes lots of good food. It it's a little bland to you (this is the way Ecuadorians like it), just ask for the aji (a-hee') which will spice things up a bit. I love the curry with fresh cheese that has black mustard seeds that they import. Just ask them to make sure that the potatoes are fully cooked. Yummy!

Pros: Fast, inexpensive and good food., Very popular

Cons: Way too busy for me during lunch.

Dirty and canned veg in salad!!! - Edit

This place is on Lonely planet and thus probably get traffic and maybe they have slacked.

I went with a friend here, we both got juice and a main plate. We wanted to get the set menu but they told us they were already out. So we looked at the menu and I tried to order the curry.

They told us that they only have pizza, sandwich, and salads.
So, my friend got the salad and I got the lentil veggie burger.

The lentil patty was dry and curry taste. Nothing special, rather bland. It came with a piece of iceburg lettuce and tomato... and fries.

My friends salad had one piece of HAIR in it!!!!! Super gross.
But also, it had canned peas and carrots... it was a sad sad salad. Unacceptable for a veg place to serve this kind of food.

I think it is ok for the lunch special. Steer clear of the salad and the burger!
Updated from previous review on Monday April 15, 2013

Cons: dirty, canned veggies!!!

Great Food - Great Service - Edit

The food is very tasty and the service is with love. The sweets are especially great, try the cheesecake, even if all you can eat is a sliver after everything else. The atmosphere is very cool and some of the art works are done by a family member of the owners of the Restaurant.

Pros: great food, ambience wonderful , efficient and helpful staff

Cons: small

One of the better Govinda's - Edit

This Govinda almost feels plush with a very pleasant decor, table service, warm colors and an extensive menu. I went during lunch time, and instead of the popular set meal for $2, I had the soup (excellent), Govina burger (very good) and a glass of fresh fruit juice. All for less than $5. This Govinda was far better than the ones in Quito and Dublin I visited recently.

Pros: Pleasant, Choice, valus

Unbeatable value - Edit

This restaurant is packed at lunchtimes. The have a buffet which includes soup, fresh juice and a main meal (usually rice and vegetables). It's hearty, tasty and, at $2 per person, simply unbeatable. My wife and I, with our young son, go there for lunch every day.

Pros: Healthy, Tasty, great value

Cons: No vegan deserts, Can get too busy

Return to Cuenca Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Govinda's Vegetariano closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2134 times since Dec 2009.