First Review by twentytwo

good memories of this place - Edit

I've been here several times for lunch on weekdays, which is when it's open. I have enjoyed the food each time. It's nice to have a genuinely straightforward vegetarian meal. The brown rice really helps, and they always have a good vegetable dish and a soup and some kind of nice sweet on the buffet. And salad. The staff is very nice and so is the price... It has never been crowded on my visits, either. If you like down to earth, plain, nutritious food and enjoy an atmosphere that isn't fancy but is straightforward and honest, I think you'll enjoy this place. The spiritual aspect of it makes me feel good about going there... I hope they have success and continue to operate this unusual place in this urban environment.

Pros: nutritious, clean food, reasonable price, spiritual atmosphere

Cons: limited hours, self serve, repetitive selections, little variety

Nice Place, Good Food, Friendly People!!! - Edit

I ate here once when I was in college; I had to attend their religious service for an assignment. I appreciated the Krishna service more than anything [I'm not religious] and was glad to have attended. Since I attended the service, I got to eat the dinner buffet for free! Nice! It was very good; however, every time I make the trek out there [on weekends] they're not open, so be sure to check their hours before you go! My friend who's originally from here has eaten there several times and always talks about how good this place is! Hopefully I'll make it back here soon!

Updated from previous review on Tuesday November 27, 2007
In retrospect I feel I overrated this place, 4 Cows.

Pros: Friendly People!, Good Food!

Not as divine... - Edit

After hearing many good things about Govinda's and after trying several times to "catch" them while they were open, I finally made it in May of 2008. The first thing I noticed was that it wasn't immaculate, but I also know that looks aren't everything when it comes to great food. I looked at the buffet; it wasn't as big as I imagined it might have been, but that was no biggie. I was however a bit peeved that there were no labels on or over the food. I like to know what I'm eating and what I'm looking at. ;-) However, the lady behind the register was willing to get up and come over to help me with my vegan selections when asked. The food ended up being quite cold, so I really couldn't enjoy it. The brown rice was very tasty, but that was about it. Everything else seemed bland (to me). It wasn't "bad" food, it just wasn't impressive enough to make me go out of my way to visit again. The price was extremely affordable though!

Pros: affordability, vegan options

Cons: hours, cold food, slight stench

govindas - Edit

this place is great, the people are very nice and interesting to talk to. the food is better in the summer due to abundance of produce. also if you go to their service on sundays the prasadam (meal offered to krishna) is free.

Pros: veggie, buffet, affordable

I don't think I'll go back - Edit

I've been here a few times, but after my last experience I don't think I will go back. I do not share the same religious beliefs as the Hare Krishna and am a vegan, and one employee was trying to convince me to eat the dairy items/not be a vegan anymore! I personally felt that was way over the line. Also, I asked which buffet items were vegan and was incorrectly told that a dessert containing ghee (clarified butter) was vegan. Thankfully I found out before I ate it! There are normally a lot of vegan items, but now I'm not sure I can go back -- I can't say I trust the staff anymore as a vegan! The chapati and other bread items were my favorite parts of my meal, but the other buffet items were bland. I've had much better Indian food in my experience.

Return to St Louis Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Govinda's closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5227 times since Aug 2007.