Govinda's Restaurant

Contact 08-92271684

194 William St, Northbridge, Perth, Western Australia,

Casual veggie food Hare Krishna place. On weekdays there is usually a set menu. All-you-can-eat buffet available every day. Previously located on 200 William St. Mon-Sat 11:30am-2:30pm, Mon-Sat 4:00pm-8:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, International

First Review by thelink

Govindas - Edit

I tried this place this week, in fact went the two evenings I was visiting Perth.
I concur what 'benmneb' said, 'great vegan food' ask first to be sure. $12 full course meal buffet style.They have a promo takeaway only $6.00 from 3:30-7:30pm. Hare Krsna.

Pros: extremely friendly and helpful, good value for what you pay for, nothing fancy in decor

I eat here at least once a week, every week - Edit

Delicious ALL YOU CAN EAT vegan food for 10$ concession or 12$ standard (prices raised recently on account of continually increasing rent). Only the desert and the salad dressing contain dairy I believe, the rest is all vegan. I always ask them for just the vegan stuff and that's what they leave out (once or twice there's been cheese in the curry, but it's very rare).
Great vege curry, GREAT dahl, samosas, pakoras, salads and more. If one plates not enough, don't be shy, just go back for more. Free cold water and most tables have a hare-krisha related book there for you to read if you're curious. Friendly staff and a very convenient location. Can't reccomend this place enough.

Worth a visit - Edit

Upon our visits we have been told that everything is vegan except the deserts and salad dressing.

It does lack flavour & heart.

Pros: Huge portion size!, After 3.30pm they offer $5 meal deals, All you can eat for $10

Cons: Paper plates & plastic utensils

Flavourful Indian food! - Edit

I loved the vegan dishes at Govinda's Restaurant! They were full of flavour and the servings were generous. We received dahl, rice, a large pappadum, and a vegetable fritter with spicy chilli sauce which were all delicious! They were so inexpensive, the value was off the charts! The atmosphere was a bit lacking but I did go on a Monday at 5pm so I'm not that surprised. The decor is simple and it is also located in a good location though a bit hard to reach by car with the one way road. I would definitely go back.

Pros: Delicious food, Inexpensive

Cons: Lacking atmosphere

My favourite place to eat out in Perth - Edit

I have been going to Hare Krishns's since I was a kid whether it was the temple or the restaurant. Most of their food is vegan except for the pudding dessert, yoghurt drink, gulab jamuns and the odd curd chunks in curries (looks a lot like tofu).
I love all of their food, but mainly their samosas, pakoras and I used to love their pudding & custard desserts.
The atmosphere is great and calming with traditional hare krishna music playing in the background and lovely smells wafting from the kitchen.
I never feel awkward going alone (which is most of the time) and the staff are all friendly and helpful, just ask if any of the dishes have dairy in them.
It is really good value for money (all you can eat)with discounts for students.
There are great clean toilet facilities in the building and I would recommend it to anyone who likes a bit of spice in their life.

Pros: Cheap, Amazing food, Toilet facilities

Cons: unnecessary use of dairy

OK for hungry vegans in Perth - Edit

My recently downloaded Happycow android app said this place was open for lunch & dinner only, but this is incorrect as it's open from 11am - 6pm daily.

The food is tasty and cheap and the day we went everything bar the desserts were vegan. It is advertised as "all you can eat" but we were served portions by the rather grumpy waiter and not encouraged to go back for more! It's a great place, but kind of basic. I would not discourage anyone from going, but just don't expect fine dining or friendly service. You get what you pay for!

Pros: Yummy food, "All you can eat" (apparently), Cheap

Cons: Grumpy service

Lovely food in a pleasant space - Edit

Govinda's has now opened in a restored building, just a few doors along from it's original site. New address is 194 William Street. Friendly staff serve you vegie curry of the day with dahl, rice, pakora, salad and dessert. Drinks included (lassi, juice and water). All for $10 ($8 concession). I've always enjoyed their food and love the new space they've moved to.

Pros: Yummy food, Good value, Nice vibe

Nice Rest and Food - Edit

The food and the Restaurant is nice. pity they had to closed down due to Renovation... anyone know where they are now?

Disappointing to vegans - Edit

I've been to Govinda's many times over the years. Whilst they usually have a main that is vegan, the sweets are not. Which is fine, even though you pay the same price without the sweets. I visited yesterday and enquired what was vegan on the menu. The staff said nothing was, but they could pick the whey/cheese out of the curry for me! I explained this wasn't suitable and left. Just a warning to other vegans about this disgusting attitude.

Cons: not vegan friendly, poor customer service

Always yummy - Edit

Wherever we travel Govindas's restaurants always serve up fabulous Indian vegetarian food for little money.

Perth's Govinda is no exception, so we enjoyed a nice big lunch there recently. Most of the savoury food was vegan. Unfortunately the sweets were not vegan so I watched the people at the next table enviously while they had their yummy looking Indian pudding.

GO Govindahs! - Edit

fell in love with this place after they had a stall at the big day out last year. a tasty three course meal for under six dollars, how can you argue with that?

Pros: cheap!, nice sweeties, cheap!

Cons: the yellow mop buckets, they use to refill food, weirdly happy staff

Return to Perth Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Govinda's Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5987 times since Aug 2007.