Govinda's Restaurant

Hare Krishna affiliated vegetarian food eatery. Offers daily all-you-can-eat buffet plus usually a set menu. Previously at 200 William St. Open Mon-Sat 11:30am-7:30pm. Closed Sun.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, International, Buffet, Fast food, Take-out

First Review by thelink

noiselyta

Points +65

08 Nov 2019

Nice staff, lots of food for a convenient price - Edit

As many other Hare Krishna restaurants, this has a simple but cozy look and very generous portions. Menu starts at $8 aud which is very low in comparison with other vegan-vegetarian places around the city. The staff were very nice.

MaryamSh

Points +18

27 Apr 2019

Delicious, simple and good for the soul. What more could you want. - Edit

I chose this place knowing that it was a Hare Krishna restaurant and I wasn’t disappointed. Got the vegan dish which was dhaal, rice, curry, chutney, salad and an extra curry puff. It was too much food but I loved it.

Vixen85

Points +41

10 Apr 2019

Cheap and tasty - Edit

No frills cheap and cheerful Indian food. Great value and generous portions.

mkgreg

Points +15

02 Jan 2018

Tasty Affordable food - Edit

My son and I had returned to Perth from Melbourne end August 2017 and stayed in a hostel nearby. We were on an extreme budget and visited Govinda's twice or more enjoying the food and affordable prices. No complaints at all.

Pros: concession prices, affordable, tasty vegetarian, filling!

Cons: none

Toast and Avocado

Points +314

30 Oct 2017

Tasty vegan! - Edit

Yummy vegan option. It depends on who serves you with regards to what you get, but pretty happy with the meal.

Pros: location, tasty, vegan

pinksheep

Points +56

09 Jul 2017

Not for me - Edit

The place has good intentions but it is not well kept. Tables were dirty, staff was very unfriendly, did not say hello or goodbye back. Atmosphere from them was very negative. Maybe it was an off day for them? Perhaps. Food was very ameteur. Nothing you can't make at home.

Cons: Bad taste, No good hygiene , Unfriendly staff

veganvirtues

Points +2319

Raw
05 Aug 2016

Govindas - Edit

I tried this place this week, in fact went the two evenings I was visiting Perth.
I concur what 'benmneb' said, 'great vegan food' ask first to be sure. $12 full course meal buffet style.They have a promo takeaway only $6.00 from 3:30-7:30pm. Hare Krsna.

Pros: extremely friendly and helpful, good value for what you pay for, nothing fancy in decor

benmneb

Points +234

11 Feb 2016

I eat here at least once a week, every week - Edit

Delicious ALL YOU CAN EAT vegan food for 10$ concession or 12$ standard (prices raised recently on account of continually increasing rent). Only the desert and the salad dressing contain dairy I believe, the rest is all vegan. I always ask them for just the vegan stuff and that's what they leave out (once or twice there's been cheese in the curry, but it's very rare).
Great vege curry, GREAT dahl, samosas, pakoras, salads and more. If one plates not enough, don't be shy, just go back for more. Free cold water and most tables have a hare-krisha related book there for you to read if you're curious. Friendly staff and a very convenient location. Can't reccomend this place enough.

FRUITnVEG

Points +129

Fruitarian
27 Aug 2014

Worth a visit - Edit

Upon our visits we have been told that everything is vegan except the deserts and salad dressing.

It does lack flavour & heart.

Pros: Huge portion size!, After 3.30pm they offer $5 meal deals, All you can eat for $10

Cons: Paper plates & plastic utensils

Cynthia1998

Points +1679

18 Aug 2014

Flavourful Indian food! - Edit

I loved the vegan dishes at Govinda's Restaurant! They were full of flavour and the servings were generous. We received dahl, rice, a large pappadum, and a vegetable fritter with spicy chilli sauce which were all delicious! They were so inexpensive, the value was off the charts! The atmosphere was a bit lacking but I did go on a Monday at 5pm so I'm not that surprised. The decor is simple and it is also located in a good location though a bit hard to reach by car with the one way road. I would definitely go back.

Pros: Delicious food, Inexpensive

Cons: Lacking atmosphere

Jph71

Points +182

24 Feb 2014

disappointing visit - Edit

While in Perth we have this a go. We love our govindas but this restaurant seemed to lack a lot of flavour and heart.

IsabelleTamm

Points +74

28 Jun 2013

My favourite place to eat out in Perth - Edit

I have been going to Hare Krishns's since I was a kid whether it was the temple or the restaurant. Most of their food is vegan except for the pudding dessert, yoghurt drink, gulab jamuns and the odd curd chunks in curries (looks a lot like tofu).
I love all of their food, but mainly their samosas, pakoras and I used to love their pudding & custard desserts.
The atmosphere is great and calming with traditional hare krishna music playing in the background and lovely smells wafting from the kitchen.
I never feel awkward going alone (which is most of the time) and the staff are all friendly and helpful, just ask if any of the dishes have dairy in them.
It is really good value for money (all you can eat)with discounts for students.
There are great clean toilet facilities in the building and I would recommend it to anyone who likes a bit of spice in their life.

Pros: Cheap, Amazing food, Toilet facilities

Cons: unnecessary use of dairy

Maddi

Points +100

09 Apr 2013

OK for hungry vegans in Perth - Edit

My recently downloaded Happycow android app said this place was open for lunch & dinner only, but this is incorrect as it's open from 11am - 6pm daily.

The food is tasty and cheap and the day we went everything bar the desserts were vegan. It is advertised as "all you can eat" but we were served portions by the rather grumpy waiter and not encouraged to go back for more! It's a great place, but kind of basic. I would not discourage anyone from going, but just don't expect fine dining or friendly service. You get what you pay for!

Pros: Yummy food, "All you can eat" (apparently), Cheap

Cons: Grumpy service

berrygirl

Points +105

05 Jul 2011

Lovely food in a pleasant space - Edit

Govinda's has now opened in a restored building, just a few doors along from it's original site. New address is 194 William Street. Friendly staff serve you vegie curry of the day with dahl, rice, pakora, salad and dessert. Drinks included (lassi, juice and water). All for $10 ($8 concession). I've always enjoyed their food and love the new space they've moved to.

Pros: Yummy food, Good value, Nice vibe

goldragon

Points +17

06 Jan 2010

Nice Rest and Food - Edit

The food and the Restaurant is nice. pity they had to closed down due to Renovation... anyone know where they are now?

sarcasticsquirrel

24 Mar 2011
yes they are on William street, just a few doors up from their original location, closer towards the train station

moonbug

Points +133

09 Sep 2009

Disappointing to vegans - Edit

I've been to Govinda's many times over the years. Whilst they usually have a main that is vegan, the sweets are not. Which is fine, even though you pay the same price without the sweets. I visited yesterday and enquired what was vegan on the menu. The staff said nothing was, but they could pick the whey/cheese out of the curry for me! I explained this wasn't suitable and left. Just a warning to other vegans about this disgusting attitude.

Cons: not vegan friendly, poor customer service

thelink

Points +165

05 Jan 2009

Always yummy - Edit

Wherever we travel Govindas's restaurants always serve up fabulous Indian vegetarian food for little money.

Perth's Govinda is no exception, so we enjoyed a nice big lunch there recently. Most of the savoury food was vegan. Unfortunately the sweets were not vegan so I watched the people at the next table enviously while they had their yummy looking Indian pudding.

Guest

Points +2

31 Oct 2006

GO Govindahs! - Edit

fell in love with this place after they had a stall at the big day out last year. a tasty three course meal for under six dollars, how can you argue with that?

Pros: cheap!, nice sweeties, cheap!

Cons: the yellow mop buckets, they use to refill food, weirdly happy staff

Return to Northbridge Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Govinda's Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.