Govinda's Gourmet To Go

215-985-9303

1400 South St, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA, 19146

Vegetarian restaurant. Offers sandwiches, faux meats, vegan dessert, and more. Another entrance at 600 S Broad St. Open Mon-Thu 11:00am-11:00pm, Fri-Sat 11:00am-12:00am, Sun 11:00am-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American, Take-out

First Review by PHILLYVEGANMAN

Nice Lunch Stop - Edit

I was in the mood for a salad the other day and stopped in to try Govinda's. I tried the vegan caesar salad, which I thought was really good. It had a nice made-at-home taste to it, and was very filling. The service was friendly too.

Wraps are awesome - Edit

Stopped in for lunch once when visiting Philly. I ordered the Chimichanga in a habenero wrap. Extremely tasty! Just the right amount of spice in the wrap. The food came out quickly. The desserts looked extremely good, but I walked away regretfully without buying one.
One thing I did not like was how dirty it was. The decor was nice, but it was not well kept and the mirror in the women's bathroom had graffiti scratched on it. However, it is not a sit down restaurant so it was not too bad and there were plenty of other people in there who seemed not to care.

Pros: Quick, Tasty

Cons: Dirty

hard to really assess... - Edit

edit (9/3/2013): this place has more ups and downs than a book of economics charts. at the moment, it's at a high point. service and food have been great recently, no real complaints.

(old review below)

(and weird, could have sworn i made a review for this place, years ago. then again, if it was purged, it would make sense, as my views of it are far different now)

pros: desserts. ice cream and vegan treats (even if neither are actually made by govinda's...)

the chicken cheesesteak and sabji wraps are about the only 'real food' things i've liked here. everything else was either mediocre, lousy, or contained animal products (contrary to the claims of the staff).

the prices seem to continually increase, and at this point... it's barely worth going to. about once every 6 months or so, i'll go for a sandwich. occasionally, i'll pop in for a bear claw or something.

but i really don't want to give this place much money, at all. [edit by staff] from the animal products in "vegan" sandwiches to the hours continually not being listed correctly (last time i went there, the grill was closed. it was 1.5 hours before their website/menu claimed they were closed, but mere minutes before they were actually closing [i was talked into a golden tofu sandwich. it was good for a couple bites, then progressively awful. sauce made me feel sick]) to them constantly being out of rolls or sabji ingredients... it's hard to want to put up with it.

i guess it's nice that they have others' desserts and the honest teas and etc, but that kinda makes this place little more than a niche grocer, for my purposes.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday September 03, 2013

One of the best vegan spots in Philly! - Edit

Ah, Govidas!
Eaten here a million times and it is consistently amazing!
Vegan chicken cheese steak wrap is my favorite but really.. everything on this menu is incredible.
AND THE DESSERTS?! ...They're the best.

Pros: Chicken cheese steak, Desserts, House made vegan cheese

Cons: Slower service

Chicken Cheese Steak - Edit

Isn't that what everybody orders? Get it with vegan cheese and Vegenaise, maybe grab a cup of yellow split pea and a dessert if it's Thursday, and you are good to go. Be warned, however, once you enter into this Chicken Cheese Steak covenant with Govindas you may never leave.

Pros: all vegetarian cheese steaks in Philly, more than chicken cheese steak on menu, decadent vegan deserts

Cons: impossible to break covenant

Quick and delicious - Edit

I have to agree with a previous poster who says that Govinda's is basically vegan-vegetarian fast food. It is however very delicious, we particularly like the mock chicken cheese steak. Their portions have shrunk some over the last few years as the cost has gone up some, but good enough for us to still patronize and recommend.,

Amazing - Edit

This was my go-to place when living in Philadelphia. Other than the dairy cheese option on sandwiches, everything else is vegan. I've tried nearly everything on the menu, and there were few items I didn't like. They also carry desserts from other places, which is a bonus.

Good prices, quick service, amazing quality.

Pros: All-veg, Fast, Good prices

Cons: Offers dairy cheese when it's not needed

Vegan Philly Chicken Cheesesteaks - Edit

I have been here at least 2 or 3 times, and I always get the same thing everytime -- the vegan chicken cheesesteaks with peppers and mayo on a sesame seed roll. Add some ketchup, and it is just amazing. I cannot speak to other items on the menu because every time I'm there I end up with the vegan chicken cheesesteak. Great and filling! Obviously, the food is a bit greasy, but this should be expected when ordering the vegan version of a Philly cheesesteak.

Pros: Philly Cheesesteaks for Vegans, Great Bread

Cons: A bit greasy

More-or-less vegetarian "fast food". - Edit

Fast? Well, not exactly. Wide range of vegetarian choices ranging from excellent to mundane, NO "atmosphere", pricing moderate, not cheap. Best thing on the menu? The "tuna" wrap. (Skip the black bean & rice chimichanga.) All in all, a good place to grab lunch, although the interior could sure use a new coat of paint, if nothing else-- it's looking a bit shabby these days. (My wife & I usually eat here at least once whenever we're in Philly, which isn't too often.)

Pros: Good food, Generous portions, moderate prices

Cons: Needs spruced up, Could be cleaner, No A/C

Delicious, Mostly Vegan Fare - Edit

A fun, friendly long-established fast-food place with some truly delicious offerings. The Kofta "meatball" sandwich is to die for; they have vegan ice cream and desserts as well. I live quite a distance from Govinda's, but it's worth the trip - and certainly worth walking a few blocks if you're downtown already.

Pros: Delicious, Mostly Vegan, Variety

Cons: Street Parking isn't free

Wish I had one at Home - Edit

Living in San Antonio and working at a veg spot made me crave nothing more then a good vegan Cheese steak while I was visiting my family in Philly.

I found this place on Happy Cow and was so impressed. I ordered was tasked by my manager to find a good Philly Cheese steak. When the order came out I was shocked and thought that I had gotten actual meat. I gave half to my father who is not veg when he had a couple of bits he told me it was definitively not meat and I ate the other half. It was amazing.

I will be returning to this place the next time I'm in Philly!

Pros: Great food

Cons: A bit dirty

Not my Favorite - Edit

Overall, I was not super impressed. I felt it was a little grubby, and my meatball grinder was on rather stale tasting bread, with slimy soy cheese. However, my friends enjoyed their meals, so either they were humoring me or I got the wrong thing!
The servers were very nice and even sat us in our own private dining room. However, we were a bit confused as to were the restaurant was (it's next door if anyone was wondering!).

Pros: Friendly Servers, Good Variety

Cons: Grimy, Mediocre Food

For those on the run... - Edit

I've been to Govinda's a few times and have always done the buffet. I finally got to just the Cafe and tried some different things (Kofta ball sandwich, samosas, cheesecake) all of which were great! My vegan and non-vegan friends alike rejoiced in what they got.

Govinda's ... very good for what it is. - Edit

See the whole review and more pics at Marty's Flying Vegetarian Review. www.martysnycveggiereview.blogspot.com

...A wonderful crusty whole wheat italian style bread, (so was the sesame bread), and copious amounts of moist, flavorful, chunks of soy chicken with soy vegan cheese, sauteed peppers, (only green), and veganaise. Now I probably could have left off the veganaise, saved 100 calories and had just as delicious a sandwich...

Pros: excellent chickn philly cheesesteak, good vegan shrimp, very friendly staff

Cons: atmosphere is luncheonette and eclectic

Good vegetarian fast food place; Philly staple - Edit

I crave the vegan chicken cheese steak all the time. It's really, really good. So are the chicken and shrimp nuggets; they're eerily like real meat (or so I've been told by omni friends, this vegan of fifteen years can't really remember). Also, they have Vegan Treats desserts. Lots of them. This alone makes it worth the visit. (Vegan Treats, btw, is the best vegan bakery on the east coast. No ifs, ands, or buts.) The soups are generally mediocre, as are a bunch of other things on the menu that I can't even remember because they were so mediocre (and i've been here many times), but the vegan chicken cheese steak rocks my world. And VEGAN TREATS. Without Vegan Treats, this place would be, I don't know, 2.5 or 2 stars, but their huge variety of Vegan Treats stuff bumps it up to 4. Also, the staff is really helpful and friendly, so I don't feel bad about this.

This place is a Philly staple. It's kind of dirty, but so is Philly itself, and hey, it doesn't purport to be anything more than a little hole-in-the-wall fast food restaurant in Philly.

Pros: delicious veg fast food, lots of vegan options, Vegan Treats

Cons: dirty, often out of certain breads, other stuff

"DELICIOUS" - Edit

I've eaten at Govinda's Cafe afew times and each it was a real treat. I loved the vegan philly cheese steak with soy cheese and the vegan cheese cake out of this world. I've dine these as well and I really enjoyed the buffet, I found the prices very reasonable and the waiter was wonderful.

Pros: Very tasty food

Cons: ***

Okay - Edit

We were just in Philadelphia this past weekend during a history making heat wave. We were looking for lunch and stumbled upon this place. We walk inside and it was incredible hot in there. My husband had the soy cheese steak, which he said was okay and I had a tofu wrap. It was too expensive for a "to go" place, but the food still tasted like fast food. If I was in the area again and couldn't find anything else, I would go back, but I would definitely look for something else.

casual comfort food - Edit

I won't get into much detail about this place other than to say it was exactly what i wanted at the time. I was visiting Philly for the 1st time today and I wanted to experience "cheese steaks" as much as I could on a vegetarian diet. I had the "pepper steak" sandwich with "soy cheese"...maybe my only criticism was that that it was not "beefy" enough, but that's relative I guess lol.I liked it....They had an extensive sandwich menu with (veggie) sea food and other sandwiches. I'd definitely go again.

Pros: many choices, comfort food, off subway station

Cons: little bit of a wait

Return to Philadelphia Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Govinda's Gourmet To Go closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.