First Review by Stevie

Clarification! - Edit

Your description of Govindas Aungier Street is misleading -- "Small Hare Krishna veggie cafe with a small menu, usually 1 vegan option each day"

Neither the restaurant nor the menu is small! And it also has far more than one vegan option a day!

I eat there on a regular basis simply because the food is absolutely delicious and extremely good value, you couldn't cook yourself at home for even half the price!

Pros: Delicious food , Incredible value, Delightful staff

Cons: Doesn't open on Sunday!, Doesn't open for breakfast!, Closes at 9pm!

Great place - Edit

It was just we`re looking for in our stay in Dublin, a restaurant with vegan options, cheap and central.
The atmosphere is pleasant in spite of the constant spiritual reviews and the Hare Krishna's songs out of the restaurant.

Pros: Price, Friendly staff, Vegan options

Cons: Low protein

ok - Edit

I don't like to give a bad review as this place is a bit nicer than the abbey street cafe. However I do find the food cold and sloppy and all piled up on the plate together doesn't cut it for me. It's fine if your not too fussy as it's cheap but I have been to many better buffet style places. In all honesty is rather pay a bit more to eat in cornucopia.

Pros: cheap , vegan options , Central

Cons: cold, not great food , too many items piled on one plate

Delicious and very cheap - Edit

The food was great, varied, and cheap. I shared a Govinda's Special with my wife and it was plenty for us both. Probably enough for 3 people to be OK (not full). It was delicious and about 10 euros, which is surprisingly cheap.

Pros: Really cheap , Delicious food

Stuffed and satisfied for great price. - Edit

The vegan samosas are the best I've ever tasted, and way cheaper and bigger too. The dahl is always amazing. The doorstop of bread and mung bean soup is gorgeous. Both the small and Large plate get stacked high with as much or as little variety as you want - and you're getting almost twice the food you'd get for the same price in other vegan restaurants and I always clean my plate. Lovely staff - only thing I'd change: swap the plates for big shallow bowls to reduce spillage and make mixing it all up easier. No frills but I'm there for the food so it doesn't bother me.

Big portions, decent price but average food - Edit

The feeling I got here was that they were trying hard, but not quite hitting the mark. The food was reasonably priced in an expensive city and the portions were very generous. You're definitely not going to leave hungry! The food itself was quite bland and tasteless alas. The paneer in tomato sauce was very bland, I couldn't finish it. Good salads and a fantastic selection of tea.

Pros: Very generous portions, Well priced in an expensive city, Good selection of teas

Cons: Bland food

Simple, reasonably priced food - Edit

My partner and I came here twice while we were in Dublin. The first time we'd just arrived in the city late and this was still open and a few minutes' walk away. We chose what was available and vegan, which was most of the buffet. This was a pretty average selection of curries and rice. There appeared to be no vegan desserts. However, prices were midest and serving sizes decent. Our second visit was a bit better. We had a quick, light lunch of tomato and vegetable soup and this was quite nice, accompanied by bread and vegan spread. This is a place for quick, simple, no-frills food, so keep your expectations in check.

Pros: Quick, reasonably prices food

Cons: Food not always that good

Great and hearty food at small price! - Edit

I ate there for lunch just before my flight back to France and I really appreciated the place and the meal (the place location is convenient and I was rapidly served). The staff is very friendly, prices are low and they do not hesitate to serve you a big portion of food. Vegan options are limited but the food is really tasty. The place is calm and pleasant.

Pros: good value for money, friendly staff, pleasant place

Cons: only one or two vegan options

Satisfying meal at reasonable price - Edit

I wish they didn't depend so much on cheese and dairy to make food tasty. There was a vegan plate that was good. The cheesy baked noodle casserole tasted good, but we can get this kind of food anywhere. None of the deserts were vegan when we came. Generous portions.

Pros: generous portion size, location in center of the city, reasonable price

Cons: dependent on dairy

Decent value food - Edit

I came here on a weekday and had a pretty reasonable lunch. The vegan curries were quite good and reasonable value with large portion sizes, the staff seemed nice and it was a nice, bright venue.

Pros: Selection of vegan curries, Good value, Friendly staff

Cons: A little on the bland side

Vegan Friendly! - Edit

Govindas on Aungier Street has become so much more vegan friendly in the last while! Every day there are at least 2 (amazing) vegan dishes which can be served with rice and dahl which is also vegan and always there. They also serve vegan muffins :)
The food is always lovely, fresh and hot and you can be guaranteed to be served by a friendly face. They have soy milk if you ask for it for tea/coffee. Definitely worth a try! It's quick, cheap and healthy. Not to be missed out on!

Pros: Fresh, Delicious, Cheap

delicious! - Edit

i went to govinda's twice at same location. the first time i got a big plate of food which was so much and i ate it all and could barely walk out but it was so good. the second time i just had the butternut squash soup which was yummy. the woman who owns govinda's is a lovely and precious woman and so sweet.

Disappointing - Edit

There were two things I did not like about this place. First is that they pile up five different items one on top of the other on a single plate. It creates a mishmash, that is neither fun nor pleasant to eat. The second is that the food itself was on the bland side, with not much flavor.

Pros: Location

Cons: Presentation, Taste

Spiritual Oasis - Edit

In a desert of bland and inedible food this is a veritable oasis of culinary delights.
The food is spiritualised because it has been offered to the Supreme Lord before serving to customers.
If you want good nourishing tasty food and spiritual upliftment,then this is the place.
One of the best restaurants in Dublin,the other two are also Govindas.

Pros: Great food, Lacto-veggie, Spiritual

Cons: none

I love this food - Edit

This is the first Govinda's in Dublin and is still my favourite. It's great value and tasty food. The staff are always friendly. My favourite is the paneer. This place is a must for me every time I visit Dublin.

Pros: great food, good price, friendly staff

Cons: self service

Fantastic cheap food - Edit

Lovely veggie and vegan friendly food served by friendly staff. The food is very good value in a city where eating out can be very expensive.

Pros: Lovely food, Good value, Friendly staff

Cons: None!

Govindas, Dublin - Edit

I've eaten here a few times. I'd have no issues with eating here again but locationwise it looses out for me to Cornucopia and Juice (both are more centrally located but admittedly only by about 5 mins walk or so). Food was decent enough I seem to remember but this may have been in my pre vegan days (I can't remember exactly). It could be open longer hours.

Return to Dublin Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Govinda's - Aungier Street closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3960 times since Aug 2007.