Govinda's - Abbey Street

Contact +353-879921332

83 Middle Abbey Street (at O'Connell Street), Dublin, Ireland, Dublin 1

Hare Krishna vegetarian Indian food in the city centre. Uses dairy but not eggs. Usually 2 vegan dishes. Makes fresh bread. Open Mon-Sat 12:00pm-9:00pm, Sun 12:00pm-7:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Juice bar, Delivery, Catering

First Review by Stevie

No frills but good and plentiful food - Edit

Ate twice here during my visit in Dublin. The food good and plentiful. Prices are reasonable too. Highly recommend if looking for good vegan/vegetarian food

Pros: Quantity , Prices, Food

Quiet place with good food right in the city centr - Edit

During our trip @Dublin we went to Govinda's a couple of times. The staff is really nice, friendly and helpfull and the food is tasty. There are about four different main dishes where you can choose from but you can also do a mix of all four of them, which I really liked. Three of four of them were vegan which was good.
We tried all the salads too, they were basic but good.
For the vegetarians I strongly recommend the Fudge Nut pie which was delicious.
As a vegan desert there was the apple pie which was okay.
The Hare Krishna music gives the place a relax ambiance which is unique in the middle of the city centre.
All together: strongly recommended!

Pros: Big portions, You can have a mix of all plates, Very friendly staff

Cons: A bit cold

Nice restaurant, a lot of vegan options - Edit

There wasnt much to choose from, but most foods were vegan, I got a take-out with a bit of everything, I really liked it, it was delicious. They also had a vegan dessert. The takeout cost me about 7 euros

No place of joy - Edit

I had a medium plate mixed with some different dishes + salad on display. That was quite a generous portion, my plate was entirely filled.
Not quite cheap, but that's Ireland, I guess.
They have lots of space and a somewhat nice atmosphere, the music was a bit disturbing.
There are a few downsides though: Food was lukewarm and overcooked, hence not thrilling. In addition to that my cutlery was dirty from crusted food. If they would clean better and replace those awful black trays, that would make a difference.
Govinda's - Abbey Street is a place to fill your belly, yet nothing for any gourmet's demands.

Pros: generous portions, somewhat comfy

Cons: not very clean, rather (somewhat healthy) fast food

Nice food, good value, leftovers don't get wasted - Edit

I managed to get here just before Govinda's stopped serving on a Sunday (7pm). To be honest there wasn't a lot left for vegans (no dahl - boo) but I got a plate anyway (medium) which was nevertheless stacked high with what was still nice food. The guy gave me a discount (end of the night not much left) but even before that I would have been happy to pay the full price. Also I was the last "customer" and there was still food leftover - which they sell at a massively reduced price to those that really need it i.e. people really struggling to make ends meet/those with no fixed abode, which I think is great.

Pros: Good value, Minimal waste

Cons: Lack of pure veg dishes (cos late?!?)

Always a pleasant meal - Edit

I've eaten here several times. There isn't much variety on the menu however there is always at least on vegan dish which is enough for me. The portions are huge for the price which is great. I've always thoroughly enjoyed whatever dish I ordered. The staff have always been friendly. This is a very relaxed place, more of a cafe than a restaurant.

Pros: The great food, Value for money, Relaxed atmosphere

Cons: Poor(ish) variety

Expected it to be better - Edit

I was a little disappointed with Govinda's restaurant, after I had read the good reviews here on HappyCow.
The guy serving us was quite unfriendly and the restaurant was not very clean, either. The meals were huge for the price and they tasted good, but they were rather like some home-made meals I could cook for myself any day, and not like I expected them to be in an Indian restaurant. They did not look really appetizing, either.
A plus is the good location, it is close to some of the important attractions and very easy to find!

So all in all I say: This is a good place to go if you just want to have a cheap, ok meal and be fed for the day, but not if you want to visit a nice restaurant and have an enjoyable visiting experience.

Pros: Very cheap considering the location, Easy to find, right in the centre, Huge portions

Cons: Plain and boring meal, Unfriendly service

Generous portion & tasty like your veggie mama's - Edit

Good food at a reasonable price. Like the other Govinda in Dublin, too much cheese and dairy. The beans were yummy; the rice was properly cooked. No raw stuff the day we went.

Pros: Very tasty, Reasonable price, Homey atmosphere

Cons: too little raw , too much dairy

Great food at a good price - Edit

I loved the two vegan dishes I had here. The portions were very generous (I ordered a "regular" instead of the "small") and the price was very reasonable. It was exactly what I needed after a long bus ride from Galway and it filled me up for the rest of the day. Really enjoyed it.

Pros: Great vegan dishes, Huge portions, Reasonble price

not recommended! - Edit

We went there yesterday evening ... And it was the worst food we had on our whole 10 days trip!!!

The portions are huge, so we shared a "regular" plate with two people, but left most of it behind, because it just did not taste good.

The place is not very clean, and we were actually happy to leave again.

I am really wondering, what kind of quality the Ingredients can have for that price!!!

Pros: huge portions, relatively cheap, friendly staff

Cons: did not taste good at all, quality of the ingredients for that price?, not clean

BRILLIANT - Edit

One of my favourite places to eat! Huge portions and really nice staff. The food is amazing too. Couldn't recommend it more.

Pros: big portions, many vegan options, nice atmosphere

Dublin Style Veggie Comfort Food:) - Edit

Went to find this restaurant on our first day in Dublin. So pleased with the food that we ate there again for lunch. Good location and enormous portions. Could not finish the small plate! Also bought some of their wonderful bread to have for breakfast. Soooooo Good!
Thank You Happy Cow!!!

Pros: Healthy, Comforting, Like Home

Cons: Bathroom

Tasty! - Edit

My trip to Dublin and first dinner in Govinda's - it was tasty! A big plate with moussaka + another dishes and great staff.

Pros: excellent food

Veggie-Vegan In City Centre - Edit

My wife and I discovered this, quite by accident, when with a little homework, we'd of known about it before we got there. But however we discovered it, this is a very good place for the serious Vegetarian/Vegan to have good food at a reasonable price. Usually three or four main dishes, and be sure and check the allergy alerts. Their right next to the main menu, and list anything to avoid. Enjoyed the food, and

Pros: Good Food , Great Value, Good Staff

Cons: none, none , none

Tasty vegan Indian food - Edit

The food is tasty, filling and nicely spiced. There is usually more than one vegan option, they label the vegan options with a little 'v' on their blackboard. Portions are huge if you sit in, and if you get a take-away box you get to fill it up for €7.50.

Pros: Tasty vegan food/Big portions, Central location/Take-away available, Good value for money

Cons: No vegan desserts

Friendly, tasty and lots - Edit

I dined here with my father on our trip to Dublin, and we were pleasantly surprised!

The setup is simple: there are about four dishes cooked for the day, you choose the size of your plate and it's filled. And I mean filled! I had a medium plate and my father a big one, and we both had to leave some food behind. That's the first time I've seen that happen to my father, so that should be an indication of the portions. Don't try the big plate unless you're starved!

The food was basic, but very well made. Nothing special, but definately dishes everyone can agree with. And the prices are very, very low, especially considering the portions.

Pros: good food, large portions, friendly service

good affordable food - Edit

I like this place. It's also one of the in-eat-out places but its really inexpensive. The constant hare krishna music is too much for me though and I think they could get a lot more people eating there by changing the music

Pros: very affordable, decent food, convenient locations

Cons: constant hare krishna music

Best Govinda Meal So Far - Edit

I can't believe that I don't remember the main dish offered the day that I visited Govinda's (Abbey Street). It was absolutely the best meal I have ever had at any of the sizable number of Hare Krishna restaurants that I have tried thus far.

If you find yourself hungry, north of the Liffey, not far from O'Connell and the Spire, and not wanting to walk to the vegetarian "district" around South Great Georges Street then head to Abbey Street Govinda's. It's cheap, very filling, modestly healthy - you have the choice of what you want on your plate, after all - and usually really, really good.

Pros: Excellent Govinda's, Price, Filling

Decent food for a decent price. - Edit

We went to Govinda's once in 2009 and found only one vegan option out of the - about - six dishes there were. It was a curry with cauliflower in among other veggies plus rice. It wasn't the best thing I've ever eaten but for 8€ in Dublin 1 not bad. The people were very friendly and for a quick, cheap meal I'd go there again for sure.

Pros: decent price, decent food

Lots of food cheap - Edit

My friend took me here while I was visiting Dublin recently. I have generally had good experiences at Hare Krishna restaurants. This was no exception. You got a lot of food, for relatively little money (eating out in Dublin is generally a pricy affair). The food was generally Indian-themed, but everything was spiced relatively mild, and nothing seemed particularly authentic. Sort of westernized dishes, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. However, they had the worst samosa I have ever eaten. I think mainly that was because it was in a whole wheat dough that was baked rather than fried, so I can't fault them too much for not being able to compete with what is normally an oily mess in an Indian restaurant. Overal, I would go back. Note that they do have vegan options, but they were limited.

Pros: Large portions, Inexpensive

Govinda's (near O'Connell St), Dublin - Edit

I ate here this afternoon. Unsurprisingly it's similar to the branch of Govinda's already open on the other side of the river.

As usual I asked what they could serve me as a vegan vegetarian. I was pointed at both soups, 1 of the hot main dishes plus a bunch of salads. I went for the lot and very pleased about it I am too. It all tasted great and my taste buds were sending electrical impulses to my brain giving it a big thumbs up. Typically relaxed atmo as always seems to be the case in restaurants run by those very nice Hare Krishna people. Not unreasonably priced.

Located on the North side of the river just over the O'Connell bridge. Well worth a visit.

Pros: V V options, Tasty decent value food, Central location

Cons: Closed Sundays

Return to Dublin Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Govinda's - Abbey Street closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 7477 times since Aug 2007.