Govinda's - Abbey Street

Contact +353-879921332

83 Middle Abbey Street (at O'Connell Street), Dublin, Ireland, Dublin 1

Hare Krishna vegetarian Indian food in the city centre. Uses dairy but not eggs. Usually 2 vegan dishes. Makes fresh bread. Open Mon-Sat 12:00pm-9:00pm, Sun 12:00pm-7:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Juice bar, Delivery, Catering

First Review by Stevie

If you're vegan and you're hungry clap your hands - Edit

Heard good stories about this place and deceided to visit whilst on a rugbytour. Took an omni rugbymate and we both ordered a 'medium' plate that was so filled it nearly kipped over.
Delicious variety of vegetables, chick pea curry, some tofu and other nice treats over great rice. Some say nothing special, well for that price I wish I could eat it every day.

Btw, my mate finished his plate before me ;)

Pros: Cheap, Loads, Tasty

Cons: Staff were pretty 'dull'

Loads of lovely food! - Edit

I just finished my first meal here and I'm delighted! Got the small plate and a samosa (9€), and I'm absolutely stuffed. Most of the mains were vegan except for two. The tofu was delicious. I'll be coming back next time I'm in Dublin.

Updated from previous review on 2016-12-10

Pros: Cheap, Huge portions, Lovely, peaceful interior

Cons: The plate overflows with the food, Had to keep getting up to refill my glass

No frills but good and plentiful food - Edit

Ate twice here during my visit in Dublin. The food good and plentiful. Prices are reasonable too. Highly recommend if looking for good vegan/vegetarian food

Pros: Quantity , Prices, Food

Quiet place with good food right in the city centr - Edit

During our trip @Dublin we went to Govinda's a couple of times. The staff is really nice, friendly and helpfull and the food is tasty. There are about four different main dishes where you can choose from but you can also do a mix of all four of them, which I really liked. Three of four of them were vegan which was good.
We tried all the salads too, they were basic but good.
For the vegetarians I strongly recommend the Fudge Nut pie which was delicious.
As a vegan desert there was the apple pie which was okay.
The Hare Krishna music gives the place a relax ambiance which is unique in the middle of the city centre.
All together: strongly recommended!

Pros: Big portions, You can have a mix of all plates, Very friendly staff

Cons: A bit cold

Nice restaurant, a lot of vegan options - Edit

There wasnt much to choose from, but most foods were vegan, I got a take-out with a bit of everything, I really liked it, it was delicious. They also had a vegan dessert. The takeout cost me about 7 euros

No place of joy - Edit

I had a medium plate mixed with some different dishes + salad on display. That was quite a generous portion, my plate was entirely filled.
Not quite cheap, but that's Ireland, I guess.
They have lots of space and a somewhat nice atmosphere, the music was a bit disturbing.
There are a few downsides though: Food was lukewarm and overcooked, hence not thrilling. In addition to that my cutlery was dirty from crusted food. If they would clean better and replace those awful black trays, that would make a difference.
Govinda's - Abbey Street is a place to fill your belly, yet nothing for any gourmet's demands.

Pros: generous portions, somewhat comfy

Cons: not very clean, rather (somewhat healthy) fast food

Nice food, good value, leftovers don't get wasted - Edit

I managed to get here just before Govinda's stopped serving on a Sunday (7pm). To be honest there wasn't a lot left for vegans (no dahl - boo) but I got a plate anyway (medium) which was nevertheless stacked high with what was still nice food. The guy gave me a discount (end of the night not much left) but even before that I would have been happy to pay the full price. Also I was the last "customer" and there was still food leftover - which they sell at a massively reduced price to those that really need it i.e. people really struggling to make ends meet/those with no fixed abode, which I think is great.

Pros: Good value, Minimal waste

Cons: Lack of pure veg dishes (cos late?!?)

Always a pleasant meal - Edit

I've eaten here several times. There isn't much variety on the menu however there is always at least on vegan dish which is enough for me. The portions are huge for the price which is great. I've always thoroughly enjoyed whatever dish I ordered. The staff have always been friendly. This is a very relaxed place, more of a cafe than a restaurant.

Pros: The great food, Value for money, Relaxed atmosphere

Cons: Poor(ish) variety

Expected it to be better - Edit

I was a little disappointed with Govinda's restaurant, after I had read the good reviews here on HappyCow.
The guy serving us was quite unfriendly and the restaurant was not very clean, either. The meals were huge for the price and they tasted good, but they were rather like some home-made meals I could cook for myself any day, and not like I expected them to be in an Indian restaurant. They did not look really appetizing, either.
A plus is the good location, it is close to some of the important attractions and very easy to find!

So all in all I say: This is a good place to go if you just want to have a cheap, ok meal and be fed for the day, but not if you want to visit a nice restaurant and have an enjoyable visiting experience.

Pros: Very cheap considering the location, Easy to find, right in the centre, Huge portions

Cons: Plain and boring meal, Unfriendly service

Generous portion & tasty like your veggie mama's - Edit

Good food at a reasonable price. Like the other Govinda in Dublin, too much cheese and dairy. The beans were yummy; the rice was properly cooked. No raw stuff the day we went.

Pros: Very tasty, Reasonable price, Homey atmosphere

Cons: too little raw , too much dairy

Great food at a good price - Edit

I loved the two vegan dishes I had here. The portions were very generous (I ordered a "regular" instead of the "small") and the price was very reasonable. It was exactly what I needed after a long bus ride from Galway and it filled me up for the rest of the day. Really enjoyed it.

Pros: Great vegan dishes, Huge portions, Reasonble price

not recommended! - Edit

We went there yesterday evening ... And it was the worst food we had on our whole 10 days trip!!!

The portions are huge, so we shared a "regular" plate with two people, but left most of it behind, because it just did not taste good.

The place is not very clean, and we were actually happy to leave again.

I am really wondering, what kind of quality the Ingredients can have for that price!!!

Pros: huge portions, relatively cheap, friendly staff

Cons: did not taste good at all, quality of the ingredients for that price?, not clean

BRILLIANT - Edit

One of my favourite places to eat! Huge portions and really nice staff. The food is amazing too. Couldn't recommend it more.

Pros: big portions, many vegan options, nice atmosphere

Dublin Style Veggie Comfort Food:) - Edit

Went to find this restaurant on our first day in Dublin. So pleased with the food that we ate there again for lunch. Good location and enormous portions. Could not finish the small plate! Also bought some of their wonderful bread to have for breakfast. Soooooo Good!
Thank You Happy Cow!!!

Pros: Healthy, Comforting, Like Home

Cons: Bathroom

Tasty! - Edit

My trip to Dublin and first dinner in Govinda's - it was tasty! A big plate with moussaka + another dishes and great staff.

Pros: excellent food

Return to Dublin Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Govinda's - Abbey Street closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.