First Review by khity

Go for the all you can eat buffet and movie deal! - Edit

The most comfortable cinema experience you'll ever have! And only a short walk from King's Cross train station.

The buffet is mostly vegetarian with few vegan options although it's worth it if you go for the all you can eat buffet and movie deal.

Must try:
- Dahl with brown rice
- Cauliflower pakoras

Pros: All you can eat, Comfy cinema lounges, Great value

Cons: Limited vegan options

Been over a year since i was there - Edit

I didnt like the minimal amount of vegan options and way too expensive for me. I would rather eat small. The food is too heavy, place is too crowded and noisy

Pros: There is some vegan options, Place is largish, Tables and chairs are good

Cons: Food not that good , Expensive, noisy

Good food but - Edit

Very good dahl. Nice place. Very comfy cinema. Reasonable price. Bit disappointed on the number of vegan curries- 1 out of 3, all of which look like they could be made vegan easily. Though there was a good selection of vegan salads it isn't what I went there for.

Everyone happy! - Edit

We came here with a big group and everyone had a fantastic night. We were a mixture of vegans, vegetarians and non-veg and everyone left feeling completely satisfied. It's an all you can eat buffet and they have a list up on the wall saying what's vegan. One of my friends had come recently with a vegan meet up group that meets here and said Govinda's has now changed their menu to be vegan friendly. The range of hot dishes was impressive and had a very nice home-cooked feel about them. You can go back to the buffet as many times as you like so you can really take your time and help yourself to whatever you feel like whenever you feel like! The ambience in the restaurant was really beautiful, it's dimly lit and each table has candles and it gives an overall calming feel. I thought the staff were cheerful and helpful and added to the nice feel of the place.
Most of us went to up to see a movie in the cinema upstairs afterwards and I definitely recommend. This cinema is not your average cinema! It has lounges and pillows and big open bed style mattresses. It's SO comfortable! Would be perfect place for a date!
We'll all be back.

Pros: all you can eat buffet and great value, beautiful atmosphere, yummy food

Loved it - Edit

I really loved this place. We went on a Thursday night where almost all of the dishes are vegan – it’s a new thing apparently. The indian dahl soup was the best I have tasted, even better than I’ve had in India, and the coconut green curry was equally as amazing. The quinoa salad was a winner and the pasta bake was delicious. I thought the choices at the buffet were great, we were very impressed. Govindas is vegetarian, but I feel they are doing really well to please the vegans also. They have a list next to the buffet of what’s vegan and what’s gluten free. If you want the most choice, I’d recommend going on the Thursday night, but it seems from the list that on other nights vegan options are well covered also. They had a special vegan cheesecake for dessert on the night we were there and again, it was amazing. I’d highly recommend this place. Go to the cinema afterwards too, it’s such a relaxed vibe up there with huge lounge like beds and pillows, and it’s cheaper than a normal cinema. Overall, a great experience.

Pros: excellent food, nice vibe and dimly lit, friendly atmosphere

Cons: no cons for me :-)

Terrible ! - Edit

There's hardly any vegan options, and the food keeps getting worse while the price increases. Been going here for over 10 years. Never again. Staff are pretty annoying as well.

Cons: Overpriced, gross Food, Terrible Service

Easy vegetarian night out. - Edit

This place used to be one of my favourite finds in Sydney. A vegetarian buffet and an amazing mini cinema where you recline on huuuge cushions. =) Last week I visited it for about the 4th time in two years and though it was still very enjoyable, I thought the buffet seems like it has diminished. The other reviews are correct, it is questionable as far as vegan options go. They have some greasy western staples too; mac n cheese, wedges (probably an option for fussy kids?) But the ambience & vibe is warm & lively, dark red walls & dim lights. It's equally perfect for a group dinner or a date. The service is wonderful too.

Pros: buffet allows sampling sesh, perfect vibe, cinema!!

Cons: limited vegan options

Uninteresting food at poor value for money - Edit

Even as a non-vegan (see reviews below), every visit to Govinda's has left me underwhelmed. I must admit, I walk away full, but mostly because I feel I need to get my money's worth when the food just isn't that interesting, and the buffet shows little change between visits.

Pros: all-you-can-eat

Cons: uninteresting food, expensive

I was hoping for more vegan options - Edit

I was assured there were lots of vegan options available but when I got there the staff had no idea what was in the dishes. I won't be going back.

Pros: nice atmosphere

Cons: lacking vegan , unhelpful staff

go for the movies not for the food - Edit

we are vegan amd went there for dinner this evening.For us were there just the lentil soup,steamed rice and chickpeas and salads.The food was nothng special but the movie experience was very nice,because you don't seat,you lie down on a confortable bed like sofa.So we really enjoy the movie!

Pros: the cinema

Cons: few vegan choice

decent buffet with amazing cinema experience - Edit

I've been to Govinda'a several times, and although I must admit I go more for the cinema experience, the food is pretty good also. The cinema has beds and couches to lie on... its the most comfortable cinema I've ever been to.
A note about some of the reviews below... this is an Indian vegetarian place. Indian vegetarians include a lot of dairy in their diet. The unhappy vegans below should perhaps try vegan establishments. I think their reviews are somewhat unfair; its a bit like a vegetarian going to a steakhouse and complaining about the lack of veggie options.

Pros: great cinema, decent food, good value

Cons: not great for vegans

Fantastic & Addictive Dining Experience - Edit

I must say I was pleasantly surprised that Govinda is a beautiful restaurants with elegant chic interior, romantic lighting, friendly and professional staff, clean and beautiful selection of food in clean presentation. I thought this place would be like the typical Indian take-away places, but it is more like fine dining. The buffet is sumptuous with selection of mouthwatering "kofta balls in tomato sauce", vegetables curry, yellow saffron rice, salads, raitas, pickles, penne pasta in tomato sauce and cheese, potato wedges, and more. The interior is dimly lit and very romantic for fine dining experience. THere is also a balcony for those beautiful summer nights al fresco dining. There are great selections of beverages to die for. Definitely an amazing dinign experience and the food is addictive. I must go back for more!

Pros: Beautiful interior and lighting, Great selection of good food, Friendly and professional staff

Cons: Rather secluded area upstairs, Only open for dinner

Extremely disappointing - Edit

My friend was having their birthday there. His gf rang ahead several times asking if there were vegan options for me and my vegan partner. She was assured numerous times that there were MANY vegan options.
When we got there my partner and I asked what was vegan. Lentil soup and salad consisting mainly of iceberg lettuce.

My friend's gf told the servers she had called ahead to make sure there was plenty for us to eat. They just shrugged.
So while everyone else was stuffing their faces with dairy-infused food, my partner and I ate lentil soup and lettuce. And there is only so much soup one can eat.

It was very disappointing to have to pay $20 when we got a pauper's meal, and particularly given how many times they had been asked if they would have many vegan dishes. They could have simply said "Only two" rather than LIE.

Obviously never going back

Cons: Few vegan meals, unhelpful staff

You will leave very full! - Edit

Sometimes combining delicious food with endless supply can be a bad thing... admittedly I did over-indulge a little. But who can blame me - it's all so yummy!

The drinks menu could use a little expanding, and it is maybe just a little pricy for what it is. Still, it's quite classy compared to the canteen style of other Govindas restaurants that I've been to (Brisbane and Christchurch).

I have no idea how you'd watch a movie after a heavy meal though, all I wanted to do was sleep!

Pros: All you can eat and delicious, Nice atmosphere, Movie room for those interested

Cons: Limited beverage menu

Wish it was better - Edit

I really like the lentil soup, which is lucky because it's one of the only vegan options there. The non-vegan food looks average. However it is worth it just to go to the very comfy cinema (remember that you have to take your shoes off so make sure you don't have holy socks or smelly feet). I wish they would get rid of the religious material, but I guess that's part of what they're about.

NEVER AGAIN. - Edit

I went here with my girlfriend a couple of weeks ago and encountered the same problems with the lack of vegan friendly food. My girlfriend, who is vegetarian, had already piled her plate high before I got word that there were only two vegan options, lentil soup and a basic salad. What annoyed me the most that several dishes were unnecessarily cooked in ghee, such as the potato wedges and the pakoras. Over $20 for soup and salad is pretty harsh, as is braving the Kings Cross locale in which Govinda's is situated.

Cons: High price, Not vegan friendly, Yuppies

Hardly anything for a vegan to eat! - Edit

We went here a couple of times, the first time was for my birthday and they told us there was lots of things which were vegan but not three dishes. Went there again and was told nothing was vegan as everything has ghee (clarified butter) and being vegan and lactose intollerant that was all right out. We suffered through it with bread rolls and were very unhappy and never went back! The staff were unhelpful and didn't know what was what. They kept coming back with different stories.

Pros: vegetarian food

Cons: staff unfriendly, movie cramped

Return to Darlinghurst Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Govinda's closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2478 times since Aug 2007.