Govinda Veggie Corner

Contact +36-1-267-7631

Papnovelde utca 1, Budapest, Hungary, 1053

A Hare Krishna vegetarian food restaurant and take-away. Deli style buffet and salad bar includes a variety of dishes though most items contain dairy except for 1 or 2 mains. Vegan to ask. Mon-Sat 12:00pm-9:00pm

Category: Lacto, Indian, Salad bar, Take-out, Hungarian

First Review by Miss.Muesli

not good for vegans - Edit

Unfortunately there's almost no options for vegans. I had a Indian something soup that was nice, the yellow rice was also good, but I also had something made out of spinach and it wasn't tasty. Staff was friendly and helped me out in English and the raspberry lemonade was amazing. Not the best food, but it's ok and price is good.

Nice simple canteen - Edit

Canteen style with lots of options. Simple mains. Unfortunately we were told they were closing in half an hour so just bought some pakoras and lassi as we didn't want to rush a main meal. Probably could have had it in time but felt they wanted to clear up.

Pros: Mango Lassi, Range of pakoras, Cheap

Cons: Some bland looking mains

Nice canteen - Edit

Only tried once for a lunch but it was very good. It a canteen, you can choose between 10 or so soups/dishes/salads.
It's good value for the price and the food was pretty good! My friend has a super tasty Fozolek! They have both indian and hungarian dishes.

Pros: Inexpensive, Tasty, Free water

Cons: Not much room

Delicious and friendly staff - Edit

The food is very delicious and they help you to pick out vegan dishes. Especially the pakoras was awesome.

Pros: friendly staff, great pakoras , good drinks

Cons: no outdoor seats , the eggplant dip ist too spicy

Not for vegans - Edit

They only have 1 vegan option on normal days, and not really tasty:/ great for vegetarians not vegans. Not really healthy. Most food is super oily:/ but my friends love it:) I would give a 5 star for this place:)

Pros: Really really cheap, Premade, no need to wait, Nice restaurant nice staffs

Cons: Not for vegans, Not as healthy

Cheap and friendly - Edit

I went here for lunch. There was a lot of choice and the staff were happy to explain what everything was. I ended up having a curry with small side order for the equivalent of 3 Euros. Will definitely be going back.

Pros: Good value, Plenty of choice, Friendly staff

nice veggie meal right downtown - Edit

This was right around the corner from our hotel so very convenient. We had the late afternoon buffet. Everything was tasty. Price even included drinks.
Great value especially considering the price!

Very good - Edit

The place is located in the city center of Budapest, but the cost of the food is really low. As said before you can eat a dinner for two for 2000HUF that is like... 7 euro. There is no English menu, but the staff is English-speaking. Desserts are so delicious it's breathtaking!

Pros: Location, Cheap, Very tasty food

Cons: No English menu

Good late afternoon buffet - Edit

This restaurant has a special buffet meal everyday after 4:00 p.m. You can have unlimited amounts of anything offered (except for the cakes, but who needs them after a large meal?)for 13 euro, which includes soup, breads, several Indian options as well as veggy (noodles and cheese), fruit salad and juice. You can also order a la carte, which is what most locals (mostly students) were doing. We enjoyed the buffet meal and the owner was very helpful in suggesting what to try. I especially liked the cabbage (goulash style) soup. This centrally located cafeteria style restaurant is conveniently located in the center of the Pest side of the city, not far from the covered market and the Danube.

Pros: inexpensive, friendly staff

Nice cheap place - 2000 huf for dinner for two :) - Edit

It is buffet style place with plenty of vegan options. We stayed there for like 30 minutes in the evening - so it can be both almost empty and in 15 crowded mins, like with no free table. Food is tasty, prices are awesome, they also have fixed price offers. No coffee or tea, just herbal.

Pros: price, location, good taste

Cons: some dishes are not for weight watchers"

My favorite restaurant in Budapest - Edit

The food is just great and besides, it is made by Hare Krishnas, which is the best. They always have something different everyday. Since it's very close to my hotel, I've been there everyday for dinner, except for Sundays when it's closed. The atmosphere is very calm and relaxed. Don't forget to try their lemonade and the ginger orange juice. The desserts are gorgeous too. Heavenly food, that is all I can say. Haribol!

Pros: Hare Krishna, Good price, Central

Fine for a quick veggie bite to eat. - Edit

Budapest seems to be full of small canteen style cafe's where you go up to the counter, select your food from the options on display and pay at till.

This is the first vegetarian place I've found in Budapest and I wanted a quick lunch while visiting a nearby business client. I got the Indian main dish (a mild vegetable curry), some rice and plenty of salad for less than £6.

It was far from the best Indian food I've ever had but it was very tasty and was exactly what I was looking for. I think the curry was made using local vegetables e.g. brussel sprouts rather than what you might expect in a traditional vegetarian Indian curry but this didn't put me off.

For a quick informal veggie lunch in Budapest I would recommend this place. If you want something more formal or food cooked fresh to order then I'd probably look elsewhere.

Pros: Quick, Cheap

Cons: Not freshly cooked

poor quality food - Edit

We were very disappointed here. Tried a few dishes at dinner time on a weekday and they all were not fresh and not tasty. Maybe they just had a bad day...

Pros: Central location

Cons: unfresh food, tasteless

Return to Budapest Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Govinda Veggie Corner closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5825 times since Nov 2009.