First Review by ekendra

OK but not amazing - Edit

When you walk in, you'll see just a sweets counter. Go through the door to the left to get to the restaurant.

I'd read the previous review and asked what was available from the menu before deciding.

Here are my thoughts:
1. The menu has no pictures or descriptions, so you'll have to know what everything is. I was largely unaware.
2. I should've brought my "vegan passport" book. I expected that finding something vegan at a vegetarian restaurant in a country where most people have some knowledge of English would be much simpler than this. It was actually quite difficult, because a) veganism was a difficult concept, since "strict vegetarian" to them still includes a lot of various dairy products, and b) there wasn't much English, even combined amongst the staff (I know, I'm in another country, but I was still surprised).
3. Even after I managed to explain "no dairy, no ghee, no milk products," I still got some dairy dipping sauces on the side, which I shouldn't be too shocked about.
4. The food was quite good, but not AMAZING, and it wasn't better than the street corner shop I've been eating at for 1/15th of the price. Normally, you pay for the service and the ambiance, but neither of these were overly impressive.

Overall, it was good and not bad, but I wouldn't go back. I was going to give 3 stars, since I found it "OK," but that's the 2nd-lowest rating for veg places, so that's the only reason I'm giving 4 stars.

Pros: No meat, Extensive menu

Cons: Doesn't understand "vegan"

Govinda's is vedy vedy nice (insert head wobble) - Edit

This restaurant is really top notch. Read my other reviews and you'll see that I don't really fawn over restaurants unless they are deserving. I'm pretty critical when I feel it is warranted, and I haven't spared this place either; but, for sure, I can't find a better pure-veg restaurant in Kolkata.

First things first ....

If you are coming here it is all about timing. Although they are open from 9am until late, the entire menu is only available from 1-3pm for lunch and then from 7pm-closing. If you come outside of that timeframe the South Indian menu and whatever is on offer at the sweet/savory counter is all you can order. So if doshas and milk sweets aren't your thing, you should aim for these times. Personally, I think the doshas are excellent though.

The prices are amazing for the well prepared, generously portioned menu items.

I recommend the Shezuan Paneer, the Govinda's special dosha, Chinese crispy noodle salad and pretty much anything from the sweet bar out the front. They make very nice traditional "pera" if you have a sweet tooth.

The service is friendly and attentive, however, the place gets filled up quickly and I noticed it was a little hard for the waiters to keep up. A good strategy would probably be to order everything in one go unless you are lucky to go when there are few others there. I've been there four times now and this has never been the case except for once when I came around 9am before the lunch rush.

One suggestion I'd like to make to the management would be to present the full menu only during the times it is available. At other times a simplified menu could be presented containing the South Indian items that can actually be ordered. It was a little disappointing to scope the menu only to be told that everything I wanted was not available for another 4 hours. Still, the Govinda's Special Dosha they recommended did not disappoint.

Pros: yum!, attentive service, well priced

Cons: a little small, can get crowded quickly, full menu only available certain times

Return to Kolkata Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Govinda closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.