Contact 620167

Furye Street 11, Irkutsk, Russia,

Offers several different dishes that you can choose and combine. Simple and inexpensive food priced by weight. Also some salads and desserts. Menu also in German. Vegans needs to inquire as dairy is used. Address: Фурье ул., 4, Irkutsk, Иркутск, Russia, 664003. Previously located at Furye Street 4. Mon-Sun 11:00am-8:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Buffet, Hare Krishna

First Review by Emilykmiec

Cheap and really tasty! - Edit

Food is absolutely tasty, quite a few options though compared to other vegetarian stalovayas I've been in russia so far. But the good food makes it still worth visiting. Service is friendly and as I have a gluten-free diet they really took time to figure out what can I eat. Even the cook himself came to explain me the ingredients he used. I felt well served. Interior is hare Krishna and Indian style but a bit kitchy. Besides the restaurant there is a hare krishna shop that provides for example tea and spices amongst the other oriental products. The price is really inexpensive as the prices are according to the weight.

Pros: Cheap, Tasty food, Friendly service

Cons: Interior kind a kitchy

Decent - Edit

Friendly and helped me with the language barrier to find vegan foods. The food was delicious (but not overwhelming) and inexpensive, so that's a good combination.

There's also a little store that seems to have a lot of options, but I didn't buy anything in there.

Compared to other places in the world, it's not impressive, but it's the best thing in the area, definitely.

Pros: No meat, Friendly

Cons: Not impressive compared to other cities

weird place, ok food - Edit

Normally i tend to praise all fellow vegans merely for their efforts in popularizing the vegan life style, but here i feel i need to be objective. Govinda for me was a bit of a disappointment, very weird place with indian music playing, serving ladies in saris, but the interior was as of old fashionable palace style soviet apartment. I find it very un cosy. Service was extremely slow, i dont remember when i had to wait in a queue for that long.. Queue being just 5 people btw. The food itself was ok, i had a veggie steak, cauliflower in white sauce and a pie with spinach + ginger drink. All costed just 300 rubles and was good home made quality. The only thing i did not like is that the variety of foods at the counter was rather limited, not that many vegan choices.. Good place for tea or coffee or quick simple lunch, but i dont thin i will be coming back though

Pros: central location, good food

Cons: very slow service, terrible interior design, not much variety of dishes

Nice. - Edit

Went here once during my stay in Irkutsk, and found it easily using the address provided in another review. The place has a good vibe, and the staff were nice enough.

There was quite a variety of food to choose from, but unfortunately not many vegan options, and no vegan desserts. I had a cabbage and dill soup, roast potatoes, little potato balls and what I think was a nut meat patty, all of which was delicious. The other vegan foods available were rice and buckwheat. Make sure you ask the staff which dishes are vegan, as we thought some of the curries looked great but they all contained cheese.

Pros: Delicious

Cons: Weird payment system , Not many vegan options

Nice restaurant! - Edit

NB: The map marker at HappyCow is incorrect! Try googling the address in russian and you'll get the right place: Govinda, vegetarianskoye kafe, Фурье ул., 4, Иркутск.

Very cozy restaurant. The staff was very nice and friendly but didn't speak English, however we could just point at the food we wanted since it's all there at the counter and it's all vegetarian. We also had help from a friendly customer next to us in the line, so if you're vegan, maybe there's someone there to help you ask about ingredients. Since the restaurant is in the center and we lived pretty close, we even went back a couple of times during our stay in Irkutsk. The food was really good, I would definitely recommend this restaurant.
Updated from previous review on Monday October 13, 2014

Pros: Good food, Many choices of food, Friendly staff

Cons: No English

Return to Irkutsk Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Govinda closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 900 times since Aug 2011.