Contact 662-6634970

65/66 Sukhumvit Soi 22 (at next to Regency Hotel), Bangkok, Thailand,

Upscale Italian restaurant, not affiliated with Hare Krishna. Offers pasta, pizza, and western dishes. Directions: take Skytrain to Phrompong station at the Emporium and Sukhumvit 24, walk 200 meters to Soi 22, enter a courtyard on right 30 meters in. Subway: Exit Sukhumvit station, take exit 2, bear left to Sukhumvit Rd, go left and walk to the pedestrian bridge about 100 meters, cross to other side of Sukhumvit, and proceed to Soi 22 per above. Open Mon 11:30am-3:00pm, Wed-Sun 11:30am-3:00pm, Mon 6:00pm-11:30pm, Wed-Sun 6:00pm-11:30pm.

Category: Lacto, Pizza, Italian, Western, Beer/Wine

First Review by veg_in_bkk

Loved this place!!! - Edit

When we arrived, after a rain shower, we saw one of the restaurant workers drying an old dog. We ate with a view of kitties eating outside the window--these people are real animal lovers, which made me super happy to support the place! And, the food was amazing!!! Vegan calzone was perfect! Friendly staff! Definitely will be back.

Amazing place - Edit

Great food, amazing cheese, in short... I totally loved it! Their pasta is also really delicious. The location is a bit deep and dark but the food makes it wort it!

Will be back.

Pros: Great food, Cheese

Cons: location

Amazing. Can't believe I've been living here for so long without checking this place out. It's a little pricier than your average Thai restaurant - but completely average price for Italian in Bangkok.
I had the calzone. It was bigger than my head. Larger than a new born baby. Basically, it was fecking massive! Ask them for vegan cheese, it's actually yummy vegan cheese too. Got a mozzarella texture.
I doubled up my toppings. It's allll about the toppings. Finished up with the vegan orange cake and vegan ice cream. Also really really yummy and the cake had a great texture. If you're a vegan in Bangkok you gotta go here, it's now my joint favourite with May veggie home and veganerie!

Pros: pizza, vegan cheese, lovely service

Cons: nothing except cost if you're a cheap skate

Vegan cheese available for dishes! - Edit

Good italian restaurant with vegan options (mostly dishes of menu they are can cook in vegan version). Also it is first place for me in Thailand, where you can order dishes with vegan cheese like real - it's so good! :) Simple say waiters about vegan cheese/version your dish.

I recommend vegan version of "Quattro stagioni pizza" and vegan chicken steak.
I hope that other dishes in this place also so good.

Pros: Vegan cheese, Tasty food ang normal size portions, Good staff

Cons: Expensive, Not pictures in menu

Delicious - Edit

To find this place, I needed to call them and have them direct my taxi driver. This place is well worth the trouble of finding it. I ordered their Spaghetti Bolognese and a Pizza, both vegan. The Bolognese was aroi (delicious), the pizza was pretty good. I'm still getting used to vegan cheese.

Pros: Friendly staff and aroi food

Cons: Difficult to find.

Nice place with a boring vegan pizza - Edit

It's a nice place, good atmosphere. I've been there only once, in a sunday night and, despite several free tables downstairs, staff seemed too busy. It was annoying when they finally came to our table in a hurried way and tried to run away after answer one question. And I had more then one question because I'd like to know about the vegan options.

Anyway... we finally order a funghi salad and a pizza. The salad was great, delicious! Not a big portion for 235 baht, but ok... good ingredients.

But the pizza was too simple, so boring, lack of topping... too expensive for that quality in my opinion. (290 baht).

The pizzas I tried: Govinda and Vienesse. For 2 people, with one drink, we spent 770 baht.

Pros: Vegan-friendly, extensive and varied menu, atmosphere

Cons: Expensive, Boring vegan pizza, Staff didn't seem to bother with us

Great place for dinner - Edit

Had a dinner in this place. Nice italian food. Pizza and lasagna were very tasty. Juices are very good and Panna Cota is wonderful. Good staff. Everything liked. Thank you!

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, good portions

A fine dining splurge - Edit

Govinda is a classy, Italian-run bistro in the heart of the Sukhumvit. Having shared a dozen or so meals with friends here, we've managed to sample a good portion of the extensive menu, and everything we've tried ranges from good to great - not a bad bite in the batch.

Especially recommended:
- Funghi soup: one of the tastiest mushroom soups i've ever had.
- Verdure alla Griglia: a generous plate of exquisitely grilled fresh veggies.
- Quattro stagioni pizza (ordered cheeseless)
- Gnocchi spinaci
- Gamberi fritti (fried breaded 'shrimp')
- Funghi salad
- Lime sorbet

They say the bread they serve for the table is vegan (but we weren't sure about the breadsticks). Their pasta (at least their own homemade pasta) is eggless. They also offer both gluten-free and whole wheat pasta.

Govinda is very vegan-friendly. It's pricey for Bangkok but well worth the splurge for a fine meal and good service with pleasant ambience.

They offer fresh juices, including carrot, which is a plus.

Our only complaint is admittedly a petty one: They don't serve free filtered tap water as most restaurants do; it's bottled water or no water.

Updated from previous review on Saturday February 19, 2011

Pros: Excellent authentic Italian cuisine, Extensive and varied menu, Very vegan friendly

Cons: Expensive

Good food, crazy expensive - Edit

We have ordered delivery from Govinda a few times. Good food, no question, but the portions are small and the price is just too jigh for what you get. Really, the gnocchi portion was just laughable. It's just potato dumplings - at least cover the bottom of the container. So - if you don't mind paying too much, go for it.

We gave up on over priced Govinda and now go to the funky L'Opera on Soi 39 - amazing high-quality vegetarian dishes, is very careful about steering veg dinners in the right direction on their long menu, and has a lunch set menu that includes an antipasto buffet that is Amazing for 350baht.

Pros: Good food, Good menu

Cons: Small portions, Overpriced

Finally a vegetarian Italian getaway in Bangkok. When I asked for the chefs recommendation, the chef herself came by and gave us her advice; a charming Italian lady. I went for the spaghetti Bolognese. A classic! I didn't get disappointed. The pasta was delicious and the sauce tasted fresh and really Italian! The glass of wine made my meal complete. The staff was very helpful and friendly. There is nothing bad I can say about this place, unless that I had to loosen my belt when I got up. Grazie mille!

Pros: Garlic Bread on the table, Staff, Fair Price

Authentic Italian Food - Edit

This restaurant managed to impress me again since my last visit to Bangkok. Excellent dishes, good environment. Highly recommend: the Mediterranean Pizza and the Carbonara. Can't believe its all vegetarian!

Pros: Awesome food, ideal portions

Nice veg italian restaurant! - Edit

Located in downtown area.
Nice food and tons of dishes to serve as your choice!
Varieties of mock meat. I really wonder when I first visit with the dish, Cappaccio.
Better to go by public transport due to the small area of parking.
I love it!

Pros: nice food, nice place, so italian!

Cons: parking

Good vegetarian Italian?? I can hardly believe it! - Edit

Lovely little restaurant with a comfy, friendly atmosphere and pleasant jazz playing in the background. Opens at 6pm for dinner.

They have a great selection of pizzas, pastas and even 'meat' courses.

I ordered the salad padano and a spaghetti bolognese. The salad was nice enough but was a little heavily dressed and therefore oily. It had bits of faux bacon in it which added a nice extra flavour but were a bit too tough. The spaghetti was cooked to perfection. The bolognese sauce was made from what seemed to be soya mince and was delicious. The portion was a lot smaller than expected. I didn't have a huge appetite at the time so that was fine but, if I'd been hungry, I would have been left unfilled. Washed the whole lot down with an imported Erdinger Weissbrau. It WAS a little expensive by Thai standards but still pretty reasonable compared with Western prices.

I'll go back.

Pros: Very pleasant atmosphere., Good menu., Tasty, comforting food.

Cons: A little pricey (for Thailand)., Smallish portion.

great creative food, some quirks - Edit

Ahhh, Govinda. I debated for a while how many stars I was going to shell out here because this place is a mixed bag of sorts.

Problems started when I believed this place might be open till midnight (as optimistically stated here on HC)... so I made the trip out there around 10:15 one night. The sign on the door said 11:15, but they were closed. "Kitchen closes at 10:30" said the waiter outside... although that was 15 minutes away.

Came back a few days later and managed to get there on time, and the food WAS super. Had a great fagioli, nice pasta with soy bacon... when I mentioned I didn't want cheese, they offered soy cheese that really hit the spot. On another trip I had the "soymeat platter," which were shishkebabs mixed with all kinds of great and creative bits. The gnocchi was only so so for me, but nice to know they try it.

There are some other quirky things about the place... the staff are majorly into the "stare" thing, which I can get a bit creepy and a sort of annoying. Literally the second you scrape the last bit off a plate they will almost run over to replace it. I guess it's because I was one of the only people there each time I went, (which is also the probably reason why the place had been closing early... and this was all during the Red Shirt Period).

That said, they were nice as can be and it's really a special restaurant for Bangkok so I've got to give the place 5 stars. Seek it out and decide for yourself!

Pros: great Italian/Thai fusion, creative mockmeats, cool place

Cons: closes early sometimes, the staff stares too much... awkward, a touch price-ay

Not difficult to find, well worth finding! - Edit

If you come from Sukhumvit down Soi 22, after about 30 metres you will see a large blue 'optical' sign and Larry's grill. Between these two is the laneway which the restaurant is down. I had just the Cesare salad (pictured) and was very happy with it and its accompaniments. Outdoor seating and friendly staff are a bonus. People from all different cultures were eating there which was nice. Also you can get beer/wine. I think the prices were totally reasonable and look forward to going back soon!

Pros: cosy atmosphere, friendly, nice presentation

great food NOT too expensive - Edit

i think as vegans/vegetarians we expect every main meal in bangkok to be 50 baht or under, and judging from other reviews i thought this restaurant was going to be really expensive. its not. its good italian food, great desserts and authentic coffee, at a price should should expect buying farang food. a pizza will set you back from 180-300 which is actually cheaper than all the other pizza restaurants in town. its owners are italian and very friendly.

Delicious Italian food! - Edit

This is my favourite restaurant in Bangkok and I go there everytime I'm in town. The food has always been excellent and the staff pleasant and helpful.
It does tend to be a bit pricey for Bangkok but it's a central location 10 min walk from the Emporium

Pros: Delicious food, Good staff

Cons: Maybe a bit pricey for BKK

expensive - Edit

This restaurant has a good decoration, the music they play is interesting, the food is ok (but not much in the plate on some recipe and a LOT of oil with the 8!?!!? pasta i got)...the salads are good but almost 500 baht for a salad???
So a lone person cant eat for less than 1000 baht???

This restaurant is far too expensive and i wont be back...

govinda We would like to thank you very much for coming in Govinda.
We really apologize if you found to much oil in your pasta and we will do our best to avoid it happens again. Please note that we have two kind of salad whose price is from 500 to 600 baht, but it regards a salad Large size and it is suitable for groups of people (minimum 6 people) and it is for share of course. If you look the menu you can find normal salad with price from 130 B to 275 - 300 Baht: of course the price depends from the ingredients, because we use a lot of imported products as cheese, olives, spinach etc.
The average price for person that we calculated in the last 5 years of our business is about 350 Baht. Thanks

a note of appreciation - Edit

I've been several times in Bangkok and during my staying there almost every day used to go to govinda for lunch...I appreciated all preparation very much and was surprised to get recipes that u don't even get in italy my home country...owners really have genius...they offer different recipes which even attract non-veg people...excellent are scaloppine alla pizzaiola, pollo alla valdostana all strictly vegetarian and delicious...no duodts any time in bangkok I'll be at Govinda restaurant!!!

Bella Italia - Edit

I can say that I travelled all over the World, and this Restaurant is one of the best I ever visited. To have Italian and Vegetarian Food combined is wonderful. Thank you Stefano and your Team for going on and give us Vegetarian a very valuable alternative for going out. You gone see me again.

Pros: good alternative, excellent Food, friendly staff

Best veggie Italian food ever - Edit

I lived in Bangkok for a couple of years and every veggie knows how miserable that is as Thais cook with lots of fish sauce and there is hardly any veggie food there... Then I discovered Govinda, which combined the two best things of cuisine: Italian food and vegetarian food! It's the real thing, I am half italian and eating at Govinda I felt like being back in my childhood, spending summers and holidays in Southern Italy. It's fantastic! They also have good wines for an affordable price.

And last but not least: they deliver (not themselves, but they are affiliated with food by phone (http://foodbyphone.com/), I basically ordered at least once a week.

Pros: food , price

We love it! - Edit

My husband and I have eaten there a lot for the last 4 years...Anyhow, I noticed that some people have not been able to find it so I wanted to give a description of how to get there: Govinda's is not far down soi 22 at all. As you come from Sukhumvit onto soi 22, you will see a "Top Charoen Optical" sign in blue up on the right side. Shortly after that there is a flower stall, on the right, and there is an entrance to a small plaza. Right after the entrance to the plaza is the restaurant "Larry's Dive" - so don't pass "Larry's". Turn right into the plaza and go to the back left of it, and Govinda's is there.

Return to Bangkok Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Govinda closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 10649 times since Aug 2007.