CLOSED: GoV Spot

+351-932448716

Av. Alfredo da Silva, 45, Barreiro, Portugal, 2830-302

Vegan deli cafe and information center about veganism, opened Sept 2015. Confirmed closed, Jan 2017. Open Mon-Sun 9:00am-11:00pm.

Category: Vegan, Pizza, Organic, Western, Mediterranean, Fast food, Juice bar, Take-out

First Review by prcr

Very Good - Edit

This place is wonderful, full off good feelings and special food.
I went there with my boyfriend and my two dogs and we felt very welcome.
I recommend.
Five stars.

A vegan activists' den - Edit

This completely vegan restaurant opened recently in Barreiro so me and my wife decided to give it a try.

Even though I consider myself vegan, as soon as I arrived at the restaurant I was put off by the pamphletary material that decorated the walls, the table tops, and even the storefront. I felt a bit uneasy surrounded by all these messages imbued with slightly pseudoscientific claims meant to provoke emotional reactions. This is probably because I consider myself a very rational person, who embraced veganism precisely because it is such a rational solution or at least an improvement to several complex environmental, pathological, and ethical issues.

After reflecting upon this use of a restaurant as some kind of spearhead in the name of the vegan cause I came to two conclusions:

* People who already are vegetarian or vegan will get nothing new from this kind of messages.
* Those who never took the time, effort, or simply open-mindedness to consider vegetarianism or veganism will undoubtedly be turned off by what they will consider direct attacks to their status quo.

This leaves perhaps just those people in-between who are already inclined to try an alternative diet or lifestyle but are not yet fully convinced to make a permanent change.

Apart from this, I also found the food to be a bit bland and unimaginative, based on adaptations of typical "homemade" Portuguese dishes, with the worst aspects of this type of traditional food - too much oil and not too much variety of ingredients and nutrients. The dessert tasted pretty good, though.

Even though my review sounds bleak, if you're in the area and just want to have a no-frills, budget meal free from animal suffering then don't let my words hold you back.

Pros: First vegan restaurant in the area, Central location in the city, Inexpensive

Cons: "Force-feeding" of vegan activism, Insipid food

TiagoGoVspot 23 Nov 2015 - In name of GoVspot we understand and thank you for your sinceer review.
About the excessive information I'm tottally agree to your point of view and we're sorry that bored you and possibly more of our costumers.
However about the "insipid food" we would like that you say to our employee at the time you we're there about it, because it's not usual that kind of reviews, on the contrary, so I as the manager of GoVspot would like you to notify them so we can improve and become better, if the food was in fact insipid, I can ensure you that wasn't normal and I ask my most sincere apologies on behalf all GoVspot time.
About the "lack of imagination" as you call it, about the "adaptations of tipical "homemade" Portuguese dishes" that's GoVspot concept, to show people that they don't need to change their habits to STOP eating animals and their derivatives,that's the most original concept, Vegan and vegetarians restaurants exists, something like GoVspot doesn't.
If possible I'd like you to visit us again another day and see with your own eyes and mouth that your informed opinion truly matters to us and the problem with food was in fact a unusual mistake.
With best compliments,
Tiago Freire, GoVspot manager.

Return to Barreiro Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: GoV Spot closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.