CLOSED: Gourmet Neko Cafe

Higashisengoku-cho 10-2, Dai 2 Yamasan Biru 4F, Kagoshima, Japan

French style cat cafe in Tenmonkan, opened 2015. Serves vegan French sweets and desserts. Owner is French and speaks English. Cats on the premises At 鹿児島県鹿児島市, 東千石町10−2, 第2やまさんビル4階. CONFIRMED CLOSED, JAN 2017. Open Mon-Sun 11:00am-8:00pm. Closes Wed on odd months and Tue on even months.

Category: Vegan, French

First Review by cybrcat21

very delicious French treats - Edit

I went there with my boyfriend during my one day visit to Kagoshima and had a great time at the café.
The best thing about the place is the AMAZING food. We had a lunch set which was a quiche with salad, a dessert and a drink. All of that was really good and I will definitely come back for the food if I come back to Kagoshima one day. The quiche tasted very much like the french, non-vegan original. Our deserts (a lemon-meringue-tarte and a crême brulée) were also both very delicious. Another highlight were the drinks we had that were with homemade almond milk. I had a coffee which was also very good (not always the case in Japan!).
Both my boyfriend and I also enjoyed chatting with the two very open-minded and friendly owners about veganism, Japan etc.
The place is a neko café which means that there are many (almost 20?) cats around. Most of them were chilling while we were there. They serve as an "attraction" to most of the (mainly) Japanese guests who come there to play with the cats. The cats are very cute and I believe they are treated well by their owners but it goes against my understaing of veganisms to "sell" animals to customers and make them entertain the guests whenever these feel like it.
Japanese neko cafés also make the customers pay for the time whith the cats (of course, because taking care of that many cats costs money and time, too). This price is included in the price of the food, which makes it quite expensive. We payed 2000 Yen each for our lunch sets, which weren't enough to keep us full until dinner the same day.
In total, the restaurant is still a four ot of five for me, because the food was really excellent and the owners were very nice.

Pros: very very tasty food, very nice owners

Cons: pet cafés are not vegan, expensive

Unique vegan cafe in the heart of Kagoshima - Edit

I visited Gourmet Neko several times during a recent trip to Kagoshima, and was not disappointed on any occasion.

Whilst the main attraction for many will be the cats who freely wander around the cafe, the delightful (all vegan) cakes and quiches served along with a wide variety of drinks are also worth the visit.

Special mention however must go to the owner, Mathilde, whose hospitality and enthusiasm for all things vegan was second to none.

Pros: Welcome and hospitality, Tasty cakes, Location (very central)

Cons: None!

Totally delicious treats- and cats! - Edit

I came by today when I saw this new listing pop up! I really couldn't believe that there was a vegan cat cafe in Kagoshima, but it's true (well, almost- the cafe will be completely vegan by July 1st.)
The meringue is AMAZING, the cats are curious and friendly, and the owner Matilda is wonderful! She does speak English and is great to chat with.
So recommended!! It's located right in the Tenmonkan district.

Pros: Cats!, Will soon be completely vegan, Close to central area

Return to Kagoshima Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Gourmet Neko Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.