CLOSED: Goura Pakora

• Friend

Contact +49-3098364440

Krossener Str. 16, Berlin-Friedrichshain, Berlin, Germany, 10245

Opened Jun 2013, this vedic cafe underwent renovations and unveiled a new menu in 2014. Offers thali meals, Indian dosa, pakora, wraps with channa-dal falafel or tofu, soups, salads with millet and falafel or fried tofu, smoothies, espresso drinks with soy or almond milk, vedic sweets; no more stir fries. Food is prepared without vinegar, garlic, onion, or mushroom. NOV 18, 2015 REPORTED CLOSED DUE TO TECHNICAL ISSUES -- PLEASE LET HAPPYCOW KNOW WHEN IT RE-OPENS! Mon-Thu 11:30am-11:00pm, Sun 11:30am-11:00pm, Fri-Sat 11:30am-11:30pm

Category: Vegan, Indian, Organic, Western, Take-out, Fusion

First Review by wildfang

Contributions +32

Great Late Night Vegan Eats! - Edit

I went here around 10:45 pm on a Tuesday night and they were still open and happy to serve us! We had the big sharing plate that had falafel, salad, deep fried veggies, rice, and more. It was really good and great place to go if you have a craving later in the evening because it is open later than most vegan places!

Pros: Good value , Large seating area , Open later than most

Cons: Slightly unsanitary

Go To Goura - Edit

From the reviews, I knew the food would be good and I was surprised that it was much better than that. The portions were more than we could finish and all of the differen tastes blended so nicely together. The place is small and they were busy but we did manage find a spot to eat outside. The restaurant is far from where we stayed but worth the effort.

Pros: Great taste, Positive staff, Relaxed location

Simply wonderful - Edit

This is my type of place. Inexpensive great tasting food with very generous portions and friendly service. Nice quiet outside seating for beautiful summer days.

Pros: Friendly service, Big portions, Great tasting

Cons: no English menu

Great - Edit

A really nice place. Nice feeling to the joint, not at all too expensive, and perhaps some of the best India-style food I've ever eaten. Sorry if I'm not really knowledgeable about different oriental food and this maybe wasn't Indian. Yeah.

So great :) - Edit

Very small but nice restaurant with self service. The people working there are very nice and the food was just delicious *-* I can recommend it everyone! The food is healthy and very filling, so the prices are totally tolerable.

The only disadvantage was that they didn't have some offers of their menu like falafel of mango lassi because of missing ingredients :(

Pros: Great food, friendly service, good prices

Amazing Indian Food - Edit

This is a cosy place in Friedrichshain. They offer indian dishes. All dishes are vegan and they have lots of gluten free options. My favourites are the Indian Falafel, the Pakora and the Thalis. I am always totally satisfied when I leave.

Pros: Vegan , plenty of gluten-free options, nice staff

Cons: Small place

absolutely amazing pakoras - Edit

These little gems were a treasure trove of golden brown vegetable fritters. It was magic, and a constant surprise to find one beautiful gift after another within the deep fried batter. From the perfect cauliflower to crinkled slices of potatoes, these wonderful pockets of heart warming and delicious treats were an absolute God send.

Dosa, will you marry me? - Edit

Ive been there twice. Both times, I took a dosa.
Obviously, I will have to go there more often, because the offer is so GROSSARTIG and the taste so UNBESCHREIBLICH LECKER.
Prices really good if you consider what you actually get.
The taste may be a bit European but in a good way :)

Pros: Delicious Dosas, Friendly prices

Indian Delights - Edit

Set right in the Friedrichschain metling pot not far from the plethora of bars on Simon Dach Straße. This is not your traditional indian restaurant, it's a breath of fresh air serving gorgeous spicy wraps, falafels, pakoras and heartily filling and crazily delicious dosas. Boy do I love dosas, and this is where to get your Berlin dosas. Not really a problem but they don't serve booze which would make it a lunchtime place for me. Check out the amazing lunch deals at great prices. I do like a tipple with my evening animal free dining.

Pros: Food, Location, Staff

Cons: No alcohol

Best Indian place in Berlin for Vegans - Edit

Goura Pakore is the Best Indian place in Berlin for Vegans. Large portions and tasty variations of timeless recipes. I have eaten here many times and never had a bad choice. Just be aware that it is popular and it can get quite crowded, getting there earlier can be a help.

Pros: Quality of food, Large portions, Healthy Indian

Cons: can get quite crowded

My favourite place in Friedrichshain - Edit

Food is delicious, and portions are great! Yammy smoothies as well. Nice friendly atmosphere. I eat here at least once a week, and I was never disappointed with the food, it was always perfect. And most of the menu is gluten-free. The only little minus - sometimes you have to wait for a little bit too long, but only when it's really packed.

Pros: gluten-free, friendly service, inexpensive

Recommendation - Edit

I've had the mixed plate for 2. And oh my... I didn't know what was the best taste on the plate. Everything was delicious. We've eaten and drank for 2 for 23 euros.

Pros: Variety in drinks, Fresh and homemade tasty food

Cons: Small place: so not many tables

100% recommendable - Edit

Went there today and tried a fresh juice (apple-carot-beetroot), a rice-pancake with spinach and tofu and also couldn't resist having a raw strawberry cheesecake as dessert...

What shall I say?
Each of those things was absolutely, 100% delicious! Nicely spiced and extraordinary pancake and the cake was sweet, but not too sweet and had a good texture.

The guy at the counter (where you order) was also nice and gave me enough time to decide. The price was absolutely OK, I paid 13€ or so - for a filling dish, a fresh juice and a dessert - c'mon :)
I would recommend going there to anyone and will for sure come back when I visit Berlin again !

Pros: delicious, good price for the value, nice staff

Cons: nothing.

Great place - Edit

We came here for dinner and didn´t regret for one second! The atmosphere in this small and cosy place is as great as in the whole district of Friedrichshain! Come here on a Saturday Night and you will know what I´m talking about :)

The prices are really good for what you get! The plates are big and staff is very relaxed and friendly.

Thank you very much! We´ll come back for sure :)

Pros: Atmosphere, food, prices

Cons: very small place

Great place for dinner - Edit

I came here with 3 friends, we all loved our meals, our drinks, and were satisfied with the quality, the taste, and the price.

I had the Raw Chocolate Smoothie, which lived up to it's name, unlike other places I have tried.

I also had the Classic Dosa, and the Cheese Dosa. I preferred the Classic Dosa, as it came with some really nice sides to give it's classic nature more tang. The Cheese Dosa was nice, worth trying, but not repeating I believe — but that's just me.

A friend ordered the wrap, and loved it. And the other two got the plates, and they were huge and looked amazing.

Their cakes also seemed really nice, and looked "raw" too. However, we were too stuffed to have them.

Will definitely be returning.

Pros: Great tasty food, Reasonably priced

Amazing place for indian snacks and thali - Edit

We visited Goura Pakora during a trip to Berlin in december and returned again last week.

The place is small and cosy and the staff was extremely friendly and helpful in answering questions regarding the food. There are both tables inside and outside and the menu is quite large offering thalis (both for singles and very large plates for sharing), crispy tofu and vegetable pakoras, lentil soup, dosas with different types of fillings and lovely dips.

The food is fresh and supertasty.

I had the pakoras (a very large bowl for only 3,50 euro) which were crispy and tasteful and served with a choice of dips. I can highly recommend the coconut chutney. My mom loved the lentil soup and my husband was very satisfied with his thali (only 7 euro for a very big plate).

The prices are very reasonable and the location just around the corner from Boxhagener Platz is perfect.

Updated from previous review on Thursday April 03, 2014

Pros: Fresh and tasty food, Friendly staff and great atmosphere, Value for money

my favorite indian/nepali place in Berlin - Edit

I can just also say: take the mixed plate for 2. We had it and we both felt like this was the most delicious food we have had for a while. :)Also the dosas (special type of pancake) are excellent, as well as the smoothies they have.

It is a quite small place and you have to order the food yourself and put your dishes back, but that is totally fine, just dont expect a fancy restaurant. I feel it always takes quite a while until the food arrives, nevertheless the food is so fresh and full of taste, so this doesn't bother me so much.

Pros: super delicious, price is really okay

Cons: takes sometimes too long time

Try the mixed plate for 2! - Edit

I've been here a couple of times and on both occasions I had the mixed plate for 2, which comes with pakora, falafel, salad, rise, millet and various sauces. It's quite nice and is nice if you fancy out but aren't in the mood for the formalities of a restaurant as it's self-service and relatively quick.

Although it's not explicitly mentioned, everything on the menu is vegan so drop in and try it out!

Pros: Laid-back, quick and easy, Delicious pakora and tamarind sauce

Mind-blowing food - Edit

I've been here a couple times and both of them I've been very surprised by the food quality. Everything is 100% vegan and very fresh. New flavors for a totally affordable price (around 8/10€).
However, don't expect something too fancy, it's a small restaurant with terrace (when the weather is good) and the menu is not very extensive.
Totally advisable.

Pros: Food, Location, Price

Cons: Portions could be bigger

I want to like this place... - Edit

I want to like this place, unfortunately it's a long way off the mark.

I've been here about 3 times.
The first time was to get some food to go. They messed up our order, even giving our food to someone else. It took an extremely long time to get the food and the staff weren't even particularly apologetic.

The second time the food also took an absurdly long time to arrive at our table, with two tables who ordered after us receiving their food first. Again, when it arrived the orders were wrong. This was on a quiet afternoon.

Finally I tried one of their wok bowls, this time it didn't take too long and was fine. But at nearly 7€ it was way overpriced for what was essentially a pretty small serving of simple vegetables with rice.

The food is good though. The dosas in particular are excellent. However it's always a long, unpleasant, and expensive experience to get it.

Pros: Good food

Cons: Very overpriced, Problematic, Unfriendly staff

2 Responses

J-Veg I am really surprised that you found it expensive and that you had a bad experience with the service.

I've been here twice and can only say positive things about the staff. Granted, they might not be role models for customer service, but this is Berlin we are talking about!

I also think the food is good value, especially when you consider that (at the time of writing) the very filling "Thali" platter for 2 people costs only €13.90.

The waiting times might be longer than the usual falafel joint, but when you watch the effort that goes into the food, I think the waiting times aren't usually a problem. Perhaps you were just unlucky. I'm not sure when they opened but since your review is August 2013 and, to my knowledge, they only opened in summer 2013, I would be inclined to give them another go!

losthighway Hey J-Veg,

I took your word and have given them a few extra tries recently.
The staff seem much more professional now and I haven't had any mix ups with the orders or any long wait times.
They're still pretty unfriendly, the last time I was there I ordered a fruit smoothie to go and the woman seemed very bothered by the fact I didn't want to order any food.

I tried the Thali, unfortunately I found it to be pretty sub-par indian food... but the cost was decent, it is certainly a lot for two people.

The dosas are still the star in my books.

They seem to have now taken those over-priced wok bowls off the menu, which is good? i guess..

Tasty food, but slight improvements needed - Edit

We went to Goura Pakore for the first time last week and were surprised about the really welcoming atmosphere the interior created.
We ordered a rice and veggie wok dish at 7,60€ (way too expensive for Berlin standards) and a Shalom Wrap at 4,60€ (also not cheap at all).
Our friend ordered a Gaia's Veggie Bowl at 6,90€ which came without rice even though the menu on the blackboard had indicated that all wok dishes would come with rice. When she asked about the rice, she was simply told there was no rice included in this dish. A good customer service would have included the chef serving her some rice anyway because they have obviously made a mistake with the way they put down the menu.
When we asked the chef whether they had any pakoras, we got a confused, slightly annoyed look. Is it too much to expect a place bearing the word "Pakora" in its name having these on the menu?
Also the drinks are quite expensive - BioZisch costs 2,30€ and smoothies 3,60€.
The food itself was very tasty, very well spiced, quite special in the Berlin veggie scene.

All in all, this place could be a really great spot for vegan Indian food in Friedrichshain. I hope they will improve their customer service and go down with their prices a bit, then I am sure to come back.

Pros: tasty, fresh food, good atmosphere

Cons: slightly unfriendly staff, high prices

Return to Berlin Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Goura Pakora closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 8177 times since Jun 2013.