Gopalam

• Vegetarian
Contact 0404504048

Grindelallee 159, Hamburg, Germany, 20146

Vegetarian restaurant serving Indian food. Previously fast-food, now more of a sit-down place. Previously named Govindam. Run by Hare Krishna. All lacto-vegetarian dishes vegan upon request. Lunch specials offered.

Category: Lacto, Indian, Fast food, Delivery, Take-out

First Review by Wong Fei Hung

Worst place we have ever been. A family joke! - Edit

We went here a few years back, and we just checked today to see if they were still in business. Really surprised. Back then, I think we were too shocked and disgusted to write a review.

When we came in, as two vegans, we asked what was vegan. "Everything can be made vegan!" the man promised.

So we ordered.

Then we were served thawed frozen vegetables with powder on top. No sauce. Just vegetables and powder.

And we paid more than 10 euros for each dish! My boyfriend was an overeater at that time, so he had ordered two!

We did say something at the time but the guy insisted this is what we had ordered. Unfortunately we were too timid and only really expressed surprise at the lack of a sauce. He acted like this was the vegan way to do it... Urm, no. I've been to India, and I'm British to start with. It's definitely NOT how you do Indian vegan cooking!

We considered properly complaining, or just not paying the bill, or complaining in the following days, but it was just one of those situations where you don't know where to begin, and you end up feeling so beaten you end up saying nothing.

Ah well. It's now a family joke about the worst vegan cooking we've ever seen in a restaurant. And we go to a lot of restaurants...

Cons: Thawed vegetables with powder! Come on! , Rude service, No idea of the basics of vegan cooking

Fast and tasty - Edit

Ok the location isn't very appealing. The dish was slightly dirty but it was totally fine for us.

The owner / waiter / whatsoever was very friendly and explained their meals very properly.
The food was very tasty and at a very fair price.
A big plus was the speed...maybe a bit too fast. ;) But always on point.

Pros: Delicious vegan food, Very fast, Very friendly

Cons: Maybe a bit too fast., Dirty dishes (but it was ok for us), Ambience kinda cheap

Slow and part of my food was still frozen - Edit

We went past this place many times (we live around the corner) and we were tempted to try on a day when we were in a slight hurry. On the window it says Mittagtisch in 1 minute, so, although it was around 19h we expected to be served fast. Unfortunately this was not the case. After 15-20 minuten we finally got our drinks (with stained glasses) and it took way over 30 minutes to get our dishes. I had "meat" balls in spicy sauce and the centres of the balls were still frozen... In the pappadum basket there were still pieces of old pappadum. All in all a bad experience. I hope for the owner that this was an incident, but we are not coming back.

Cons: slow, low quality food, dirty glasses and pappadum basket

Nice place - Edit

I've been there a couple of times and have always enjoyed both the atmosphere and the food. The staff is always nice and will be happy to inform you about the dishes' ingredients. Non-vegan meals can be turned into vegan ones on request. Everything seems well portioned as you start feeling full the very moment you get to finish your food. Though all dishes could have been seasoned stronglier, especially the ones including seitan were highly recommendable. If you are willing to pay a little more than you usually do, this is a nice place to go.

Pros: Dishes well portioned, Great seitan, Friendly staff

Cons: Quite expensive, Sometimes underseasoned

Mediocre food - Edit

I don't think I am visiting this place again. The prices are pretty okay but the quality of food is not that great. One might get such kind of Indian food in very many restaurant across Germany, which is not authentic. What makes this restaurant different from other is that its 100% vegetarian. I am searching for another one next time.

Pros: Location

Cons: Taste, Quality

Lovely Time - Edit

I dearly love Indian food and this was amazing! Quick with lots of meat alternatives or healthy indian or even pizza! I would definitely go back. Even their bathroom was decked out in vegan messages :)

Pros: Big Selection, Speed

good restaurant - Edit

the staff is always very friendly and the food is very decent. they offer lot's of seitan dishes and you get a small bowl of soup and some indian-style crisp bread together with most of the main-courses. the atmosphere is calm and relaxed. i can really recommend the seitan! seitan-gyros and seitan-döner are my personal favourites!

Pros: nice staff, great food

Cons: some dishes could be bigger

Return to Hamburg Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Gopalam closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3125 times since Aug 2007.