Gopala Madhava

• Vegetarian

Rua Antonio Carlos, 413 (at Rua Augusta, Consolation), Sao Paulo, Brazil, 01309-011

Charming restaurant in an Indian style. Also serves other dishes. Typically a choice of two meals - one Indian, one other (example: pasta) for approx R$18. You get a small starter and dessert, juice, and a substantial main course. Gets very busy with lines out of the door, somewhat calmer after 2pm. Most items contain dairy. Accepts debit cards but not credit cards.

Category: Lacto, Indian, Italian, Western, Hare Krishna

First Review by mirian

Lunch time - Edit

I went there many many times when I was vegetarian. The food are very good!
The restaurant has two options every day of the week and you can choice a big or a half meal.
My friends that eat meat loved there. If you are vegan, be careful and read with attention the menu.
Ask the staff about vegan options, because they use a lot of butter and cheese.
Look the website before go.

Eu fui nesse restaurant inúmeras vezes quando eu era vegetariana. A comida é muito boa! Meus amigos que comem carne gostaram muito também!
O restaurante possui duas opções diferentes ao longo dos dias da semana.
Se você for vegan preste atenção no cardápio e se tiver dúvida de algo, pergunte! Pois eles costumam usar muita manteiga e queijo nos pratos.
Recomendo olhar o site antes de ir.

Pros: location, price, tasty food

Cons: menu doesn't advise vegan options

Indian Veggie - Edit

I am an old and loyal customer from Gopala Madhava. Everything there is delicious: the food, the desserts, the juices, the chai. The dishes have an Indian accent, with a lot of condiments and a very strong taste. They always have two options per day so then you can choose between them. The dishes includes a mini salad, the main dish, a dessert and free natural juice. The price is excellent, but they don't accept credit cards. I recommend it for everyone!

Pros: Delicious food, Good price

Cons: There are always huge queues, They don't accept credit cards, The environment is a little bit damaged

Excellent lunchtime spot - Edit

Note that Gopala Madhava and Gopala Hari are just doors apart on the same street, and sell very similar food, but they are separate businesses. They used to be in partnership but broke up some years ago, so now you have a choice of two places. Having not realised this until very recently, and only having been to Gopala Madhava before, I'd say there's little to choose between them - they're both pretty good and always busy with lines down the stairs and out the door - but gets a bit quieter after 2pm. A restaurant with two set meal options - one Indian, one something else e.g. Italian - including starter, dessert and juice. High quality food and plenty of it.

Updated from previous review on Friday March 12, 2010

Pros: great food, nice atmosphere

Cons: lunchtimes only

not what I expected - Edit

I read several reviews suggesting this was good Indian food. Have lived in NJ (little India), visited India, cooked Indian food, I'd hardly call it Indian. It's true, it was pretty busy. I suspect because of the substantial amount of heavy food (rice, feijao (beans), etc) that give the feeling of fullness with a relatively small São Paulo price tag. The food was ok, the service was less than average. We waited quite some time to get in - no one said a word to us (btw, my portuguas is fine so this isn't the issue). Several tables who were seated after us were served first and we didn't get so much as a hello.
The server knew very little about the menu (all of 2 choices on the menu people). The food was relatively warm and taste was pretty good. I was with a friend and we selected one of each available dishes to sample. She was slightly happier than I (she's non-veg) but in the end, we both felt the same: it was OK.

Pros: inexpensive, portion size was adequate

Cons: 2 choices?, service less than average, standing on stairs waiting for a table

A good find - Edit

Nice food, nice atmosphere. So popular that when we finished lunch there was a line of people out the door waiting to be seated; consider going early. We each tried one of the two choices for that day's lunch menu and we liked both choices.

Pros: pretty decor, nice wait staff, decent food

Return to Sao Paulo Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Gopala Madhava closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1157 times since Aug 2007.